• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major guilds support Kirby vs. Marvel's rights to properties (Up: Settlment Reached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiv47

I just read that book. A relevant story in it is this bit on Spider-Man:

While Ditko has had a point about being co-creator of Spider-Man, he went off the deep end long ago, turning into a Ayn Rand-worshipping lunatic. He wrote a full length comic a few years ago ("The Avenging Mind") that went on at length about Marvel and their practices, that was just batshit insane to read. He's been producing new stuff on his own for years, but it's almost entirely unreadable garbage. A shame, really.

Agent%2BAmerica%2BPromo.jpeg

FA2%2B-%2BSMASH.jpg

Jesus. That second design is literally Maul from WildCATS.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

kswiston

These characters are going to live in film for centuries to come. Must have been one hell of a settlement to equal the money future generations of Kirbys would reap from that. Or maybe it had become obvious they still weren't going to win and it was better to take the settlement.

They were never going to win. Every case of this type has resulted in courts ruling in favour of the current copyright holders. Both Marvel and DC have gone through it several times already. Kirby was work for hire. Most of the stuff in the movies beyond basic origins and some costume designs were created by people who worked on the characters after him.

I would imagine that they settled for some money, credits in films/other media based on Kirby characters, and perhaps some of the original artwork that Marvel never returned.

ElTopo

Banned
I don't quite get why companies do this. It's just bad PR and is it that horrible to give the estate a tiny piece of the giant pie? I'm sure Kirby's family would be happy if he finally got some real acknowledgement by Marvel and getting a million or so a year in royalties.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not surprised at this result, most of these things get settled out of court, and yea Disney/Marvel was going to fold like a deck of cards there rather then potentially lose this case and the ensuing billions.

ElTopo

Banned
I hope now that they acknowledge Kirby in all the media as the creator/co-creator of all those characters instead of parading around Stan Lee and saying he was the master behind it all.

how about giving some love to Ditko too? Spider-Man's look is Ditko's.

Stan Lee wanted a Spider-Man, but it was Steve Ditko's designs and style that got Spider-Man off the ground

I hope now that they acknowledge Kirby in all the media as the creator/co-creator of all those characters instead of parading around Stan Lee and saying he was the master behind it all.

Pretty much every movie that involves a character Jack was involved in creating has his name right next to Stan's.

MisterHero

DC/Justice League has Darkseid
Marvel/Avengers has Thor/Cap/Iron Man villains as well as Not Skrulls
who are clearly meant to be Skrulls
Fox/X-Men/FF has evil mutants/Skrulls

Kirby will never get enough credit.

Dai101

Banned
Pretty much every movie that involves a character Jack was involved in creating has his name right next to Stan's.

The Spider-Man OG trilogy has both credited as "Based on the comic book by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko"

Im sure most other licensed media has them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom