• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Can play used games on different Xbox w/o fee but in your profile only

You like posting this, don't you? And it's not jumping to conclusions when there's information being provided to you. Damage Controllllllllllllll

It is my way of attempting to keep an open mind.

attempting is clearly the key word and I am failing.

No need to get defensive buddy

IceIpor

People are saying it's like steam, with the response "Except without all the benefits". What benefits does Steam have in this situation? Am I missing something?

I haven't seen this posted yet, but I wanted to add this in case anyone forgets.

With Steam, you can also upgrade your computer and still play all your old games (Steam or otherwise).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
bZCZY3y.png

Yeah, no.

link1201

Many rumors suggested family accounts for the same price as standard accounts now. I wonder if that is one of the things that will help to deal with this issue.

If that is the case that would help digest this...but I really wish we had more info...

MoosiferX

So as a small business video game store owner, I'm probably not going to be buying back XBOX One games, eh?

Crazy stuff today. Customers reactions have obviously not been too positive. Even from our more bro-tastic gamers.

Why don't I see this as a big deal? I've been doing this for ages on PC. Steam has been like this forever since 2004, I think. This was the inevitable evolution to how games were going to be played anyway, console or not. Not to mention, games play better off the HDD to begin with.

And if I remember correctly, just yesterday we were discussing hopefully putting a stop to Gamestop profiting off of used sales. Now all of a sudden we're back to wanting used games now? Can't call flip-flopping when we're doing it too. Gaf you crazy.

Bog

Junior Ace
If you buy a used game, you better ask GameStop for the phone number of the guy who traded it in so you can become fast friends.

Rentals are dead, I'd wager.

Then I will play less games outside of the sure things or my favorites. I can't risk spending 60-70 bucks on a shit game...so I will either wait for sales (which will often mean the game has bombed or been out for a while) or not risk it at all.

And I wager others will too.

I relaize that piracy is bad and that used games technically cost companies money...but rentals? naw son. That has been a godsend since I got into games. DECADES ago.

Microsoft (and Sony if they do it too) should have just gone to DD only..it's a lot easier to swallow then.

I hope this backfires hard on these fools...but it won't because we are whores lol.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So, I assumed a code came with every game that allowed you to install it, meaning new games could be installed for free, but used games would need a fee to install, but you can't even play a used disc on your XOne?

-PXG-

So, three options

1) Bring my Xbox to my friend's house

2) Copy my profile to a flashdrive and take it to my friend's house

3) Recover my account from friend's Xbox

Ugh....

Or you know what, assholes? Why not just let me take my fucking disc to his house and play it on his system, you know, like every other console every made?

Just like Joe said, this destroys the advantage that consoles once had over PCs. You might as well say fuck it, and stay on your PC.

Then I will play less games outside of the sure things or my favorites. I can't risk spending 60-70 bucks on a shit game...so I will either wait for sales (which will often mean the game has bombed or been out for a while) or not risk it at all.

And I wager others will too.

I relaize that piracy is bad and that used games technically cost companies money...but rentals? naw son. That has been a godsend since I got into games. DECADES ago.

Microsoft (and Sony if they do it too) should have just gone to DD only..it's a lot easier to swallow then.

I hope this backfires hard on these fools...but it won't because we are whores lol.

Totally with you; seems like rentals will fall under the same category as used games. If anything you'll be paying much more than a normal rental fee to play the game because it will need to be activated. But maybe I'm understanding the process wrong. We'll see.

No, Phil said that there is no difference on Xbox One between installing via a disc or online and both will be treated as if it was downloaded. Just like with online titles today, you can install it on any console but the original buyer needs to be online to play it. To remove that restriction, the game needs to be bought again on that console -- just like today. Nobody has ever referred to that as a "pre-owned fee" in the current ecosystem.

Because that's a massive sea change to the current ecosystem, where buying a physical copy of the game meant I bought the game, not the permission to play it.

Why don't I see this as a big deal? I've been doing this for ages on PC. Steam has been like this forever since 2004, I think. This was the inevitable evolution to how games were going to be played anyway, console or not. Not to mention, games play better off the HDD to begin with.

And if I remember correctly, just yesterday we were discussing hopefully putting a stop to Gamestop profiting off of used sales. Now all of a sudden we're back to wanting used games now? Can't call flip-flopping when we're doing it too. Gaf you crazy.

The original Xbox no longer connects online.

Once Microsoft kills off the Xbox One library in 10 years, absolutely ZERO of your games will work. At all. In any way.

There is no aftermarket. There's no booting it up for nostalgia's sake. There's no trading with friends. There's no buying them at a secondhand thrift store.

Your content is 100% tied to the digital world Microsoft has made. There's no offline play.
Get your gamertag hacked or banned? Your entire library of discs is now worth zero dollars. Go on. Find out how many people here have had their accounts hacked. It's not a trivial number.

And you can't give the games to your kids, either. Those purchases are tied to YOUR gamertag. Sure, they can use them on your console, but if they grow up and leave, they can never have their own console. You can't simply give them the game. It's not your property anymore. The disc is WORTHLESS data. You have no rights anymore.

Anybody listening to Microsoft backpedalling right now should be insulted. This system is crystal clear how it will work and MS is doing their best to confuse people long enough to buy the console and find out how fucked up it is first hand.

"Oh, your friend can use it if you go over and sign in your gamertag" is confirmation that you no longer own anything. And next gen, these games won't work either.

sangreal

Because that's a massive sea change to the current ecosystem, where buying a physical copy of the game meant I bought the game, not the permission to play it.

I never said otherwise. It does seem to be a big change for physical games. We don't know their detailed plans yet for people giving away or selling their games though. What Phil Harrison was trying to say is that the disc is worthless and you can use the disc or install online and the system sees no difference. You can't give away your disc after you install the game and expect it to keep working as it gets passed around. Their system for placating people who are selling or otherwise disassociating themselves with the copy is unannounced. It might be terrible, but it isn't the "fee" going around the news

I haven't seen this posted yet, but I wanted to add this in case anyone forgets.

With Steam, you can also upgrade your computer and still play all your old games (Steam or otherwise).

Steam's benefits;

It works on an open system, meaning it is open to competition from other distribution channels and distribution media, including physical discs.

It supports modding, it has sizable and useful communities.

It's FREE.

It is not OWNED by a conglomerate and does not report to a Board of Assholes, I mean, Directors. It does not fuck you out of incentive mismatches.

It has an indefinitely accessible offline mode.

It does not have intrusive and abusive advertising.

It has good pricing and out of this world sales.

It has indefinite backwards compatibility.

It has a decent GUI for both comfycouching and pro-user tasks.

Off the top of my mind, first things that come to mind. XONE is NOTHING like Steam.

Microsoft really needs to get a consistent message together. It's not like they didn't have forever to prepare for this and their PR has been terrible post-reveal.

Why is everybody on an entirely different page with their responses when there should be a stock response?

adixon

to quote you: But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee

Unfortunately that is not how quoting works... :/

Edit, now with sentences uncut:

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account.

Globox_82

Banned
Me and my bro live in the same house, have two ps3 and share games. He is lv 17 i am 16. Different profiles. Now this ppl want to force me to double dip? Yeah xbox is not for me.

TBH i am shocked of how amateurish MS´s PR is at handling this announcement. They had plenty of time to rehearse, and figure out how to spin this disaster.

So this is how the current XBLA set up works right?

I guess that's better than nothing, still rather annoying that you can't taker your disc based games round to a mates and just have them work.

Me and my bro live in the same house, have two ps3 and share games. He is lv 17 i am 16. Different profiles. Now this ppl want to force me to double dip? Yeah xbox is not for me.
I'm currently confused about whether as with digital purchases on the PS3 right now, the installed XBO game can be played by other profiles on the same system.

My sister and I were sharing a PS3 when we lived together. She could play Rayman I bought; I could play Fat Princess she bought. I could even play her PS+ content on my own account (which was actually for a different region's PSN) without a subscription.

If, IF, Sony decide to also implement and/or allow publishers to implement similar systems on the PS4 - which right now is just insinuation - I would hope that it works like the PS3 - i.e. you just need the owner account on the system to play.

Since the games for Xbox One are locked to account and doesn't require disc...

Will Microsoft ask you to uninstall the game you just sold? Would both the buyers and the seller be forced to do that operation? Is this going to turn into as organized as selling your used car?

I personally believe they'll ask you to either uninstall it, or ask the new owner of your disc to pay up the complete MSRP price of the game. This could turn into a very shitty situation.

levitan

So it still blocks used game right? You can't trade it in because the person who will buy your copy won't have your account. And if you want to lend it to a mate, he/she will need your account to play it! And of course they won't allow multiple IP to sign into one account right?

Just stop explaining, MS.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So just like the 360 then?

What is the issue here?

but, my question is will there be issues with other accounts on my system? Do I have to pay a fee so that my son can play my game on my system but on his gamertag?

1. No. Not like the 360, you have my halo disk you play halo no issues
2. see 1
3. your son will need to buy the game. 1 game is tied to 1 account.

This is actually the part that no one seems to have tried to confirm and/or caught onto.

I think it's as big an issue, maybe bigger, as the used game issue or lending issue.

It MIGHT work like the way it works on the 360; If the original purchasing account of the installed software is deployed on the console it was purchased on, it might work on all accounts.

Playing it on another console with the same account, or playing it on the same console with another account should work.

I may be being optimistic, but that's how it currently works with XBL DLC, and that's how it should work.

It MIGHT work like the way it works on the 360; If the original purchasing account of the installed software is deployed on the console it was purchased on, it might work on all accounts.

Playing it on another console with the same account, or playing it on the same console with another account should work.

I may be being optimistic, but that's how it currently works with XBL DLC, and that's how it should work.
Is there a limit to how many systems this is possible on with XBL accounts. I believe it's two, originally five, for PSN accounts.

StylusX

Missed it all yesterday and trying to catch up now. I take it this means i won't be able to rent games? I cant afford to buy games constantly thus lovefilm has be a life saver for me.

So, you're telling me that I can take my disc to my bro's place and play it there but I have to log into my account? Why? To verify against my product code or something?

How does this work with Redbox or Gamefly?

So, you're telling me that I can take my disc to my bro's place and play it there but I have to log into my account? Why? To verify against my product code or something?

How does this work with Redbox or Gamefly?

I'm just saying this is how it works with all content downloaded from XBL at the moment, so if they did not overhaul the DRM, that's how it should work, and it sounds in line with what we know now. It gives the account and console permission to run the DLC.

Basically, it will go one step further and treat all software installs as DLC content - so once you install a disc content, it will still download a permission file from XBL to access that install. That permission file will be specific for that disc, somehow, and to your account and console.

So if you take your disc to a friend, it will install and request a permission file. If you are on your account you will get it. On another account you will be denied. On your own console, the permission file will already be there to be used by all accounts. Since it'll be on the native console, all accounts will be able to access it.

Presumably, that kills Redbox and Gamefly.

Once again, this is my presumption.

troushers

What tf are the EU going to make of all this? This affects your ability to return and resell your games, as well as sticking a time bomb on them. Even when you buy retail you are essentially renting the game - not just the multiplayer aspect which is arguably within consumer expectations.

This going to come under heavy scrutiny in Europe.

synce

They killed split-screen, they killed save sharing, and now you can't even borrow the fucking game itself. As a kid I could never see myself quitting gaming, but now I realize when I'm old I'll just be playing shit from PS2 and earlier.

I'm just saying this is how it works with all content downloaded from XBL at the moment, so if they did not overhaul the DRM, that's how it should work, and it sounds in line with what we know now. It gives the account and console permission to run the DLC.

Basically, it will go one step further and treat all software installs as DLC content - so once you install a disc content, it will still download a permission file from XBL to access that install. That permission file will be specific for that disc, somehow, and to your account and console.

So if you take your disc to a friend, it will install and request a permission file. If you are on your account you will get it. On another account you will be denied. On your own console, the permission file will already be there to be used by all accounts. Since it'll be on the native console, all accounts will be able to access it.

Presumably, that kills Redbox and Gamefly.

Once again, this is my presumption.
So are you saying that currently DLC is both tied to an account and tied to a system in different ways?

i.e. currently is it:

• Joe buys Mass Effect DLC on his account on his console.
  • Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console logged into her account, as long as Joe's account is also activated on this original system.
  • Joe can also download and play that DLC at his friend Jimmy's house on Jimmy's system under his own (Joe's) account.
  • Jimmy won't be able to play that content on his account on his system.

So are you saying that currently DLC is both tied to an account and tied to a system in different ways?

i.e. currently is it:

• Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console logged into her account, as long as Joe's account is also activated on this original system.
  • Joe can also download and play that DLC at his friend Jimmy's house on Jimmy's system under his own (Joe's) account.

1. Correct
2. Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console offline if Joe's account is activated on that console. Jane can play that DLC on Joe's console only if she's online on XBL if Joe's account is somehow missing.
3. Correct. Howeveri Joe can play with his account on Joe's console only if he's online on XBL.
4. Jimmy will play that DLC on his system IF Joe's account is also installed on his system AND online on XBL.

As you can see the current DLC DRM is alrady fucking draconian, it just went unnoticed because people did not expect DLC to be shareable/tradeable/lendable.

Now that games are presumably treated with the same DRM, welcome to Shithole.

So, three options

1) Bring my Xbox to my friend's house

2) Copy my profile to a flashdrive and take it to my friend's house

3) Recover my account from friend's Xbox

Ugh....

Or you know what, assholes? Why not just let me take my fucking disc to his house and play it on his system, you know, like every other console every made?

Just like Joe said, this destroys the advantage that consoles once had over PCs. You might as well say fuck it, and stay on your PC.

Hu? WTF are you talking about? Just sign in on any X1..... you don't need to bring anything with you.

i.e. currently is it:

The current system has 2 forms of ties:

Console tie
Gamertag tie

The console the DLC is originally bought on will work with any gamertag on the system, regardless of whether the Gamertag that bought it is currently registered to that system.

If you log into your gamertag on another system, anyone can play it on the new system AS LONG AS the original Gamertag is signed in on one of the controllers.

Scenario:

*Joe buys ME DLC on Console 1. Jane also has a Gamertag on Console 1. Joe and Jane can both use the DLC freely.

*Joe takes his Gamertag to Daves house and logs in on Console 2. Dave can now play the DLC when Joe is signed in. Jane can still use the DLC on Console 1 to play against Joe and Dave on Console 2.

Its bloody confusing, and someone is likely to explain it better than me.

Top Bottom