• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson to ask engineers if they can implement my idea to solve XBOX ONE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEADEVIL

So earlier today in the 'Paul Thurott: How Microsoft can fix Xbox one', I responded in the thread and posed what I believed would be the best solution for the game sharing and internet issues based on what I knew.

No one I have read since this started has ever posed this idea prior to me doing it earlier today. Here's the portion where I wrote of my idea:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63832581&postcount=102

The really problem for MS is how to approach the whole digital vs. Physical media thing.

If they didn't have restrictions to the console, then the average gamer could rent a game at Redbox, download it onto the console, return the game, and log on to play it forever in the cloud.

If you never had to go online ever then I could see the whole modding/ban hammer situation that the 360 faced returning. This time around the ban hammer REALLY sucks as we are now reading.

My personal opinion, but if Micrsoft want to truly solve this issue and NOBODY is currently saying this.

All MS has to do is make the cool features of downloading the physical game to the cloud OPTIONAL.

This means if you want to all of the Cloud benefits like sharing with 10 people etc. Then that's your option to tie the game to your profile at that point. You would then fall under those applicable restrictions.

If not, then you should be able to play you Xbox One games as normal and share, trade etc at will to ANY retailer etc.

This would ease people into the digital world, while preventingthe potential of gamers to face their console locking them away from their physical game that they just bought that day, because their internet was down for a few days.

This also would allow the Navy to play their games offline as was recently brought up.

But, who knows maybe MS has something else up their sleeve to resolve this issue. They will need it come launch.

Someone on Redditt (shout out to 'veul') clearly read my idea in the Thurott thread and posed it to Major Nelson a couple of hours ago when he was answering questions on there. Here's the question:

[–]veul [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Just an idea here. Why not allow there to be a Xbox Live option to allow "offline" mode, but it disables any family sharing? Like

"If Xbox One hasn't connected in 24 hrs: [] Disable game & Allow Sharing [] Enable Game & Disallow Sharing"

Major Nelson's immediate response:

[–]majornelsonMajor Nelson - Microsoft [score hidden] 2 hours ago

I'd have to check w/ the engineers, but I don't see why that would not be possible.

Other responses in the Reddit thread:

[–]JoshSundquist1 [score hidden] 2 hours ago

Please, please, please make it happen! That would be the best of both worlds and cement my purchase of Xbox One.

[–]SweZor [score hidden] 2 hours ago

If you could announce a feature such as this (even if it is set to "Disable gaming" by default), I believe that would have a huge positive PR-impact, I hope you guys understand that. This is currently the ONE thing that is keeping me (and I'm sure alot of others) from getting the console.Thank you for all of your responses so far, it's very good to see alot of the question marks about this new console being straightened out. I truly believe that we have an amazing machine here, and if you could fix these few issues that people have with it, it will probably be successesful as well.

The POWER of GAF! This might actually be an effective solution and it came from posting on here.

If Major Nelson convinces the brass to implement this then Micrsoft could go forward on this without actually backtracking on their originsl ideas. You could choose to play games like they are on the 360 and earn achievements, and do whatever you like with your disc, but you wouldn't be able to use the cloud features that MS is promoting.

Like I originally wrote this would squash all of worries that you couldn't play games offline if you didn't have internet and the deployed Navy could play their Xbox One games while deployed if they bought the system.

MoeB

hero.jpg

Lynd7

I'd like the option to just run the game from the disk, or at least just use the disk as the only verification needed. Combine that with the live offline mode and we are good.

Minions

Would be awesome if true, however it would still mess up the used games, and still require 24 hour checks. It messes up used games because there is no way for anyone to know if you have registered your disc for offline or online, especially if you want to sell the discs on your own, rather than to a retailer.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's doubtful this will be passed along to anyone, let alone cause anything to change in their policies

NIN90

I don't see why the reddit poster necessarily got that idea from your post, lol. It's not that out there.

Why wouldn't they have already thought of this, or make it an option? It's more likely they want nothing to do with an offline mode.

joe2187

Banned
There was a shit storm about all their policies before E3.

They had a ton of time to think of possible other solutions to this issue.

They didn't care and announced what they had at E3

Nothing will change.

TwiztidElf

Doesn't matter anymore. As a staunch Xbox fan over the last two gens, I'm gone and not coming back. The damage has already been done.

They can backpeddle all they like and completely remove all the DRM bullshit. It doesn't matter to me anymore. I won't buy an Xbox One on general principle of the way they've behaved over the last 6 months.

I'm guessing that there are many like me.

Berordn

While I'm sure there's nothing on the technical level preventing this from happening, I don't think it's the engineers he needs to be talking to if you want to see a policy change on X1.

Still, if they're actually open to suggestions for change after sticking to their guns at E3 and becoming a laughing stock, they may have a chance yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not going to happen.

Even if it does it isn't going to make me buy an X-box. Sorry but their boat sailed as soon as they did everything EVERYONE told them not to do during the Adam Orth fiasco.

DEADEVIL

Honestly.. if they were to do that.. it would seriously benefit them so much in the long run. It could really flip this negative response around.

Obviously MS has a ton of people who love what they provide. These people really want to keep supporting them. All MS has to do is show them that they're willing to work on this stuff and it would really save them a lot of grief.

The Lamp

They clearly considered making it optional and decided not to. They would be stupid, closed minded executives to not consider this option.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No one I have read since this started has ever posed this idea prior to me doing it earlier today.
Doing all these things optionally is not some major eureka moment, dude. This was discussed on podcasts and on GAF before.

If they did this, that would be fantastic.

This. If that was implemented, what's to stop me from just giving the disc to a friend, while I continue to play off the hdd?
Their system already allows two people to play the same game concurrently (singleplayer). It would be the same now with the your abuse scenario.
If the second person wanted to play it multiplayer he would connect to the internet and it would be tied to his account and if you wanted to play multiplayer again your copy would be invalidated.

Famassu

I don't see how this would be possible. As far as I've understood, Xbone installs EVERY game and for it to allow doing that, it needs to verify that the copy hasn't been installed on any other console. And because games have been designed to work that way, there are no solutions that would allow otherwise.

There's one HUGE issue with this. Any retailer would have to have a license check system. Otherwise how would they know if the disc is worthless or not?

GodofWine

But then their "but the cloud!" Retort to everything will be ruined when games are identical under both scenarios.

Not happening IMHO

marrec

Banned
Doesn't matter anymore. As a staunch Xbox fan over the last two gens, I'm gone and not coming back. The damage has already been done.

They can backpeddle all they like and completely remove all the DRM bullshit. It doesn't matter to me anymore. I won't buy an Xbox One on general principle of the way they've behaved over the last 6 months.

I'm guessing that there are many like me.

Yep, I'm exactly like you. Xbro for two generations, now I'm out.

Might work, but this is DRM first and foremost. The whole point is to wean the market off used games so the industry can be more profitable.

dejay

Banned
MS wants their customers online. They're gritting their teeth and losing some sales to get there, so I'll doubt they're going to make such a concession.

Major Nelson doesn't appear to be in much of a position to affect policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom