• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major sites/news media give their verdicts on the main E3 Conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBL

Edge review is really crap, this being part of it (copied from the Halo set thread)

ibsbXLMf9JMEma.png

I thought they all did really well. Nintendo and Sony were a tie for me and MS was really solid

And compared to E3 showing in years past? Much stronger.

And all 3 had a decent showing of 2015 but a number of those 2015 are still less than a year out.

Good stuff all around. Except EA. They sucked

Hindl

Nintendo won by a fucking mile. Sony and MS were both great, I think if Sony trimmed that fat in the middle with powers and TV they would've won, but as is, I think both MS and Sony were good.

But Nintendo came out of nowhere and there's still more announcements! So the real question (think I know the answer), Nintendo E3 2014 or Nintendo E3 2010?

blakep267

To me it isn't that Sony didn't show games. But they had a half hour gap of nothingness. If your going to talk about powers, at least have the show exist first. Both MS and Sony were at a b+ for me but that TV TV TV block of Sony brought them down

N.Domixis

Banned
The Halo package imo is that good and is a system seller. Sony while still having a good show there is no system seller in the foreseeable future. It's flip a coming between the shows both were solid.
Did you not see what watch dogs did? Exclusive advertising with Destiny and the bundle and GTAV HD exclsuive marketing will ensure that they sell more ps4's than any exclusive this holiday. Third party games will be the ps4's system sellers and Watch dogs is just the beginning.

Finalizer

I was pleased all the conferences focused predominately on games, and their strengths as platform holders. Most of the bullshit from last-gen is buried and gone. Thank god.

Probably the big takeaway from this year's E3. It feels like there's good reason to tune in again, something aside from "new hardware on the horizon."

Raide

Ultimately it really comes down to which game console you like or which game maker you like. It's hard to be unbiased on these when it comes to fanboys like us, lets be honest. If you really love your Wii U or like Nintendo games, you are going to think Nintendo dominated. You are going to think that squid online shooter game is the best thing ever. You are going to love more Yoshi and Toad and Kirby. Same with Sony and MS to a lesser extent. Personally I thought all three console makers did a good job of giving their fans reason to be happy with their purchases. Not sure Nintendo did much to attract a new audience, but with the Wii U that ship might have sailed.

Agreed. Super hard to be utterly unbiased but just based upon games you like the look of and will more than likely play. Tough to get a whole new console for 1 or 2 titles and so much stuff is 2015 and beyond.

Nintendo did a great job of telling Nintendo fans they are still making Nintendo games. They always do a solid job of that.

wildfire

Banned
Nintendo

Ubisoft/Sony
MS/EA

Sony's game offering on average was as appealing as Ubisoft, they just simply had more uninteresting and interesting games to show off in their extended time frame.

MS was just completely forgettable aside from some indie games like Cuphead.

EA wasn't forgettable but I disliked Bruce Lee's movesets, I will rarely consider buying a golf game no matter who zany you make it and the previews for incubating games was offputting. Dragon Age was awesome though.

meta4

Anyone?

A serious Nintendo is unmatched when it comes to first-party exclusives and the ability to consistently deliver best-in-class games.

Personally, if Nintendo rediverts all its development resources to one platform instead of two, I'd say Nintendo first-party's output is stronger than MS/Sony. COMBINED.

Lol

Sony=MS>nintendo

This was my impression.

I liked MS's lack of Kinect and pure game focus. The CG showings were a let down though. The Witcher 3 preview was amazing.
Sony's was good but the Bloodborne leak really hurt the conference, if we hadn't known about that it would have been better. Lack of TLG as well sucked...
Nintendo just showed core Nintendo games so having no interest in any of that the conference was a bore.

blAAAm

Banned
as far as presentation goes, Nintendo was definitely the best IMO. As far as upcoming games i give Nintendo and Sony a tie. Sony has a bunch of amazing exclusives coming in the near future, we MS showed CGI of games that wont be on the radar for 1+ years. Sony also has some amazing PC games coming over, Magika and Loadout are awesome games.

Purely based upon games I would like to play this year and games I want to play next year and beyond, MS had it for me. Love Crackdown, love Fable even if it has changed style, Halo is 50/50 for me. Sure its cool to have to all under one roof/box but I want to see Halo 5 before going crazy. Sunset Overdrive looks bonkers fun and the Kamiya/Platinum game has suggestions of brilliance if they really make it awesome.

I think all 3 had good showing of games, even if I checked the Nintendo one and only really want Zelda and X. More Mario stuff in its different guises does nothing for me anymore. Still, I have a Wii-U, so I will hold onto it.

For Sony its only Bloodborne that looks like the type of game I would play but thats miles away. Maybe once it shows its head the PS4 will have price dropped by then. Solid showing for fans of Sony games but nothing that exciting for me personally.

Not a crazy E3 but a solid one for all concerned. Games were shown and that is good enough for me.

+1

Nintendo had an awesome press conference today but they are set in third place for this generation regardless.

I think Microsoft did the right thing and just showed games upon games but there wasn't any "ohhh shittt" moments. A lot of the games shown we're already known about. I think Sony really nailed it by showing Bloodborne and LittleBigPlanet 3. I don't think anyone saw a new LBP coming.

Sydle

Nintendo won by a country mile in presentation and had some cool games on show
MS was great, had the most games I wanted with no BS
Sony had almost nothing for me, a lot pushed in 2015, and that dreadful middle part

Nintendo did a great job. I'll be buying a Wii U within the next few days to get caught up on what's available now and looking forward to the upcoming releases.

MS could have taken it if they had a couple more exclusives and cut down on the multi-plats. Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Dance Central, Ori and the Blind Forest, Crackdown, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends, and Halo MCC. Really great lineup, but would have been a knockout with a Rare game (Banjo, VP, or real Conker) and a JRPG from Mistwalker.

L Thammy

Regardless of who "won", I think all of the console manufacturers had a very solid showing. I think that's the important thing. No matter which system you own, there's a lot of things to look forward to. That's the big thing.

Hyrule Warriors, Zelda U, Bayonetta 2. So glad I bought a Wii U. Sony's show was alright, but just didn't wow me with hardhitters like Nintendo's.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Purely based upon games I would like to play this year and games I want to play next year and beyond, MS had it for me. Love Crackdown, love Fable even if it has changed style, Halo is 50/50 for me. Sure its cool to have to all under one roof/box but I want to see Halo 5 before going crazy. Sunset Overdrive looks bonkers fun and the Kamiya/Platinum game has suggestions of brilliance if they really make it awesome.

I think all 3 had good showing of games, even if I checked the Nintendo one and only really want Zelda and X. More Mario stuff in its different guises does nothing for me anymore. Still, I have a Wii-U, so I will hold onto it.

For Sony its only Bloodborne that looks like the type of game I would play but thats miles away. Maybe once it shows its head the PS4 will have price dropped by then. Solid showing for fans of Sony games but nothing that exciting for me personally.

Not a crazy E3 but a solid one for all concerned. Games were shown and that is good enough for me.

You're hyped for the platinum game, Crackdown and Fable, and yet you think Bloodborne with it's spring 2015 release date is miles away?

todd360

Nintendo was the best. Sony was great minus comic book guy and no Last Guardian. MS was CGI and Halo.

I would rank it

1. Sony
2. Nintendo
3. Microsoft

Nintendo lost a lot of points for the October=summer thing. Sony's was just amazing. Other than the tv and movie part and some of the middle in general. Nintendo s was very good as well. Would have liked to see more of Zelda than what they gave us. Same with Uncharted, but I wasn't even expecting to see that.

Gator86

I don't know why anyone would care about things like conference pacing and stuff after the conference. Who the fuck is going to think, yeah, I want a WiiU but Nintendo's pacing was off during their conference?

Sony and Nintendo won. MS showed the same Halo/Forza/Fable rotation they've been doing for an entire decade at this point along with a bunch of games that will be better on PS4 for the most part. Sony is continuing stuff like Uncharted along with superior versions of all multiplats, tons of indie and F2P games, and new IPs like Bloodborn. That's not even getting into PS Now and other announcements. Nintendo's gonna Nintendo. They're not competing with Sony or MS but they showed updates of some of their big franchises and some new stuff, like Mario Maker. There will be a lot of fun stuff to play on the WiiU next year but I doubt they did anything to sway people considering the PS4 or Xbone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I agree, MS really knew what they had to do and they went out and did it.

Having said that, Sony's line up does remain bigger, better and more diverse.

Also, Sony's key remake (Grim Fandango) straight up embarasses MS's Halo remakes.

I thought both Sony and Microsoft did a decent job but could've used some more real surprises, maybe that's my fault for reading all the rumors and speculation beforehand. Along those same lines since I haven't paid much attention to Nintendo recently I thought they had a really solid presentation which may have actually convinced me to buy a Wii U. Altogether it was a decent E3.

wildfire

Banned
I think the amount of mixed consensus and genuine excitement for certain projects indicate that all 3 had a pretty good E3 for the first time in ages.

This year and next are looking surprisingly solid for console gaming.

Yeah, they all preformed decently. The problem is that most people wanted to be blown away.

Another problem is that I've been more impressed with some of the companies' previews outside their conference moreso than what they did at the main events.

Tripolygon

Banned
For Fans (even if each company showed just 1 game)

Microsoft Won E3
Sony Won E3
Nintendo Won E3

This thread is about who the gaming Media and Press thought Won E3.

imjust1n

Banned
You have to look at what was shown. Most 3rd party trailers for Microsoft were already shown
Witcher 3
dragon age 3
The division
These were already shown so it didn't wow me.
rise of the tomb raider did but that's one.
Microsoft had a few indie titles Sony had way more.
The third parties for Sony showed new stuff like
mortal kombat X
Batman arkham knight

As a whole Sony had better wows than anything. Yeah Sony talked TV but they had a longer show than Microsoft so they can do that. Plus the TV stuff was game related or super hero related which most gamers like... He talked about YouTube and showed mortal kombat after he was done. I didn't think it was boring. I think that powers TV show could be interesting. I'll say Microsoft did better then their last year's e3. Sony won in my opinion they had bigger better games better trailers more to talk about and showed more information. All in all this whole e3 as a whole was not good it feels like a filler year.

I think if you like games, everyone wins this year. Each showing had its disappointments and its weird decisions but overall, they all pushed the fact that there are a crapload of games in development
for 2015

My highlights-

-The Witcher 3 gameplay demo
-GRIM FANDANGO!!!!
-LittleBigPlanet 3 outta fuckin' nowhere
-Ratchet & Clank movie/PS4 in first-half 2015
-Bloodborne is legit
-Arkham Knight gameplay demo
-Uncharted 4 teaser
-Kirby Rainbow Curse
-Splatoon
-Zelda Wii U is legit

PS5

Neo Member
Microsoft refocused on games, Sony showed a wide variety of content, and Nintendo does its thing with colorful, fun gaming that is hard to find outside of iOS.

I think the winner is us.

AdanVC

Nintendo>MS>Sony. Easy and simple as that. Sony was the worst in terms of showing their stuff because most of the time they were "we're perfect, our system is the very best, we have all the exclusive content, etc." Talk about being arrogant, plus it was long and painfully boring at times.

Edge makes a lot of sense. Who cares about 10 year old games.

The Halo core do. That's the thing, the collection and 10 year old MP will appeal to the Halo core who are nostlgic for it. It'll do nothing for the mainstream that make Halo huge. People are letting tgeir nostalgia goggles shadow their judgment.

biRdy

Haven't seen Nintendo, though both Microsoft and Sony had plenty of great games to show. This debate of whose games were better is pointless, the conferences should not be rated on the games they showed but how they were presented.

My favorite part from the MS event was the brief multiplayer Halo 2 match, and in Sony's was the LBP 3 play through. Those two presentations seemed to be the most realistic representation on how how you would play the game unlike that terrible voice over in The Division play through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom