• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Study Finds Masks Don’t Reduce COVID-19 Infection Rates

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

A high-quality, large-scale Danish study finds no evidence that wearing a face mask significantly minimizes people’s risk of contracting COVID-19. The randomized-control trial found no statistically significant difference in coronavirus infection rates between mask-wearers and non-mask-wearers. In fact, according to the data, mask usage may actually increase the likelihood of infection.

“The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use,” the authors summarized their results.
“In the third post hoc analysis, which investigated constellations of patient characteristics, we did not find a subgroup where face masks were effective at conventional levels of statistical significance,” researchers found.

The randomized-control trial, which is considered the “gold-standard” design for scientific research, had a large sample size of more than 6,000 people. Most studies conducted on various kinds of face masks against various coronaviruses are neither randomized, controlled trials nor conducted regarding the specific SARS-CoV-2 virus currently affecting the world.

This clinical trial was conducted from April through June in Denmark, a largely unmasked area with government recommendations only to social distance and wash hands frequently as the country began to reopen in May. Roughly half of the 6,024 participants, 4,862 of whom completed the study, were randomly assigned to wear surgical masks “outside the home among other persons together” while the other half continued to operate in public without a mask.

After a month, 42 of the mask-wearers in the study (1.8 percent) were infected with the virus while 53 of the non-mask-wearers (2.1. percent) were infected with the virus. Statistically, this is not a significant difference between the two groups, suggesting these infection differences were a product of chance, say the study authors.
So do we follow the science? Or do we just put this study into the "conspiracy theory" bucket?

Well it is possible that there are many holes in this study, it was censored for months on end, which I am sure has nothing to do with its conclusion and more to do with that these Danish scientist are clearly MAGA Trumpers spreading right wing conspiracies about 5G and Q.

InverseAgonist

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2020
So that Resetera paper isn't an actual controlled study, like what cryptoadam posted, it's modeling based on projections.

I can do the same, I can predict with a high degree of certainty that if the Communist Party of China enacted proper lockdown and controls on initial emigration to Europe and the West Coast, over 200,000 additional Americans would still be alive today. Prove me wrong.

So do we follow the science?
You're way too smart; you know the answer.

Masks are basically Kabuki theater for people. They make people feel safer, like they are doing something. That they are psychologically part of the in-group that is fighting this.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Its basically the difference between all the doctors and ancedotal evidence of HCQ working, and then the Random trials showing it didn't work.

this study was a RCT, the gold standard. The other study like the reply said was basically saying cases dropped when people adopted masks so it must be the masks.

If someone wants to point holes at this Danish study lets see it. After the Lancet debacle its very possible that this study wasn't done properly etc... But keep in mind this study has been sitting on the shelf for months with no publisher. So either the data is really suspect or someone was trying to censor it.

Also where I live we instituted a mask mandate on July 18th. On that day we had 158 cases. Today on Nov 18 4 months later we have 1179 cases. We had 7 deaths, today we have 35.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2014
thought this part was interesting but of course it would be hard to do without a big ole bubble lol.

The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings.. This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.

Oct 26, 2018
Maybe those N75 medical grade masks work, but the typical mask is not only crap, but the point of masks in general is not to stop fine airborne particles or virus.

It's to stop chunky stuff like dust or spit.

The doctor or dentist wearing a mask giving you an exam or cleaning your teeth is wearing one in case you accidentally spit out some globs. It's not meant to stop flu bugs going around.

If they were that concerned about airborne diseases floating around the building they would be wearing medical grade masks and helmets 100% of the time. Yet the second they are done with you, they yank it off.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
The journey of masks:

1.) DO NOT WEAR ONE! IT DOES NOTHING. IN FACT, DOING IT WRONG COULD BE WORSE

2.) Jk. Everyone needs one now. Any public place, you must wear a mask. Only can remove it when eating

3.) TRUMP HATES PEOPLE WITH COVID. WE NEED MASK MANDATES!
"Where are they not being worn?"
SAW A GUY AT THE STORE WITHOUT A MASK. HE IS THE REASON 240,000 PEOPLE ARE DEAD

Last edited:

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
This really burns me up because the mask pushers will never have to give up this lie, it makes too much "common sense" for the midwits. Masks counter-intuitively not only don't work better than nothing, but increase infection rates? I swear to god you can see NPCs take this input and run it for a second before they pull up an image like this in their head and then the thinking is over

BARRIERS STOP THINGS WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

Last edited:

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
Well, to be fair, their parameters don’t seem to line up with what makes masks effective.

The argument with the mask is if the infected wears one it won’t spread as far. The concept tested here is if you wear a mask where other people may or may not be wearing masks it doesn’t do much.

Anecdotally, has anyone gone out in public,I’m talking supermarket, mall, whatever other indoor area and seen people without masks? I live in LA and I have yet to see someone who is maskless where it’s appropriate to wear one.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Barriers sometimes stop things, it depends.
No shit, I'm saying NPC's aren't able to entertain anything that doesn't make immediate sense and can't be cited from "experts" on network TV

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I know by your posting of the simple and boldly colored Vox-esque infographic that you're likely used to simple conclusions in life, but in reality things are detailed.
lol what are you even implying here I wasn't endorsing that image

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Jun 11, 2016
Sample size is too small.

With only 53 of the non-mask-wearers infected, I don't think you can make a conclusive statements about the effectiveness of the masks..

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: CloudNull

InverseAgonist

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2020
Sample size is too small.

With only 53 of the non-mask-wearers infected, I don't think you can make a conclusive statements about the effectiveness of the masks..
Nope. Actually, you'd be surprised. For example, in the recent Moderna vaccine read-out that demonstrated 95% effectiveness there were 95 total cases in the trial to date, split 90/5 between the control group and the vaccinated group. True story.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Masks also lead to a false sense of security. I think it is what led to the explosion in cases post George Floyd. Basically thousands of people go out there and think they’re safe because they have a .000005 cent made in China cloth on their face, and well they‘re not. If they didn’t have masks on... well maybe most of them wouldn’t have gone out.

This is also going to contribute to cases going up post-election.

• Strength
Reactions: Singular7
Sep 14, 2014
I've used a mask once so as not to get into a scuffle while attempting to use a library in 20 years after being confronted by someone with a degree in who knows what. I was the only person in the library at the time. It's not like I can use another library. I catch a lot of stares when I go for food though. They really are conditioned to do exactly what they they're told by the telescreen. When I wear the mask I can barely breath and need to dig a lot deeper for air.

iconmaster

Jul 18, 2013
The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings.. This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.
If I'm understanding this correctly, they concluded masks don't do much for protection but may still be effective for keeping infection from spreading. That would be consistent with earlier thinking on mask use.

Reactions: Reptars Revenge

Neil Young

Mar 26, 2020
If masks were effective, we would have been wearing them every flu season since....forever? We would need the same gear the people in the lab wear to realistically protect ourselves.

Aug 28, 2019
Honest question:

How many times have you been told that the major point behind wearing masks, is to protect others from you if you have a disease, and not the other way around? it's always been considered only nominal protection at best for the wearer of the mask.

Because it seems really unlikely you have never been told that, after all these months...

Alternatively: have you ever read those signs at a doctors office that tell you that you need to wear a mask if you are showing certain symptoms? Has it ever clicked with you why the sick people are the ones expected to wear a mask? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Phunkydiabetic

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
If masks were effective, we would have been wearing them every flu season since....forever? We would need the same gear the people in the lab wear to realistically protect ourselves.
Asia has been wearing them forever and aside from India where masks are considered an affront to masculinity their death rates pale in comparison. Let’s all admit this wouldn’t even be a debate if orange man hadn’t made it one.

Jan 2, 2011
I've used a mask once so as not to get into a scuffle while attempting to use a library in 20 years after being confronted by someone with a degree in who knows what. I was the only person in the library at the time. It's not like I can use another library. I catch a lot of stares when I go for food though. They really are conditioned to do exactly what they they're told by the telescreen. When I wear the mask I can barely breath and need to dig a lot deeper for air.
I'd be making an appointment to see my doc ASAP if you have trouble breathing with a mask on. That's not normal.

Feb 7, 2012
Well, to be fair, their parameters don’t seem to line up with what makes masks effective.

The argument with the mask is if the infected wears one it won’t spread as far. The concept tested here is if you wear a mask where other people may or may not be wearing masks it doesn’t do much.

Anecdotally, has anyone gone out in public,I’m talking supermarket, mall, whatever other indoor area and seen people without masks? I live in LA and I have yet to see someone who is maskless where it’s appropriate to wear one.
I live in Van Nuys, you are still not allowed to not have a mask in pretty much any public facility in LA. You can go down the block to the diner..walk into it with a mask, order food, sit down 3 feet from where people are ordering food on the outside and remove your mask and eat. You can go to the park and lots of people are not wearing masks .

Its all kind of retarded and Newsome is head mongoloid.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Jul 18, 2013
I'd be making an appointment to see my doc ASAP if you have trouble breathing with a mask on. That's not normal.
Eh, some people just have respiratory issues. It's maybe not the norm but it's not unheard-of.

For example: I know a guy who has a doctor's authorization to go mask-free in the school where he teaches. He's not old or decrepit, he just has some particular lung condition.

Last edited:

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
The truth is with Covid you can find an expert tell you anything you want to hear. There are no fucking experts. That's the only truth. Tomorrow, you will read about another study that says mask are effective. So what's the truth? The only thing we do know is that the Asian countries have been wearing masks and they seem to be doing okay. Western countries are doing terrible. The mask police act like like the masks are 100% percent effective. They are not. Only social distancing and staying the fuck away from people is.

It depends on the mask you are wearing. If everybody walked around wearing N95 masks, it would limit the spread 100% guaranteed. Who is going to do that? My relatives all work in the medical field and I can tell you they aren't going in a room with a Covid patient without a mask. Are you going to fucking tell the people in hospitals not to wear masks because of some study that you found on the Internet?

My understanding is that the other masks are going to limit the initial inoculum you receive so even if you get it, you won't get as sick. It's won't stop you from getting Covid 100%.

It's really dumb in America, masks indicate your political party. It's really funny that some people in this thread used to believe masks help but now they don't because of their political affiliation. People don't even use common sense anymore. They don't even think for themselves. Democrats wear masks like sheep. Republicans don't wear mask like sheep. Damn sheeple who can't think for themselves. I'm so disgusted with this. Look nobody knows the answers, stop acting like babies. The countries that did well got behind something and followed it. They didn't slash everybody's throat to believe what they believe. Damn cults on both sides.

And what the fuck is this war on science. The fucking scientists are the ones that are going to save us with the vaccines because this shit would have been a hellhole if it kept going on. Give them a fucking little credit instead of your political party.

Reactions: NoMoChokeSJ

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

Pretty important caveats.
I love how so many will believe one scientific article if it matches their preconceived ideas. Science doesn’t work on a “one article” basis. It’s about multiple studies and forming a consensus

Last edited:

JeTmAn81

Formerly '0v0'
Jul 3, 2008
“The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use,” the authors summarized their results.

There you go. We already knew masks don't prevent you from getting it, they prevent you from spreading it. If all these jackasses keep running around spewing their germs at you, your mask won't do squat. Everyone needs to get on board.

Svengoolie007

Dec 22, 2019

There you go. We already knew masks don't prevent you from getting it, they prevent you from spreading it. If all these jackasses keep running around spewing their germs at you, your mask won't do squat. Everyone needs to get on board.
If we all need to wear masks to prevent from spreading it, that would mean that we all already have it. Which means we can't get it. So we're all good without them. >_>

OrtizTwelve

Formerly 'WhetPharts'
Aug 11, 2020
USA
I think people read too much into these studies and like to extrapolate to prove whatever point they wanted to push anyways.

The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, masks reduce the amount of initial viral load (or inoculum) that the body comes into contact with. It is not a 100% foolproof way of preventing infection, but limiting initial exposure. The lower initial exposure, the lower the viral load and potentially very low infection or potentially no symptoms at all. And because of low viral load, the less likely one is to pass on an infection to another individual. That's the point of masks.

I find it shocking we have to even discuss this. It has nothing to do with politics, or freedom, or whatever political ideology you feel it represents.

JeTmAn81

Formerly '0v0'
Jul 3, 2008
If we all need to wear masks to prevent from spreading it, that would mean that we all already have it. Which means we can't get it. So we're all good without them. >_>
It doesn't mean we all have it, it means we literally don't even know who has it, because of asymptomatic transmission. You can be a walking timebomb without even knowing it. Wear a mask.

• LOL
Reactions: Sign and Greedings

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I think people read too much into these studies and like to extrapolate to prove whatever point they wanted to push anyways.

The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, masks reduce the amount of initial viral load (or inoculum) that the body comes into contact with. It is not a 100% foolproof way of preventing infection, but limiting initial exposure. The lower initial exposure, the lower the viral load and potentially very low infection or potentially no symptoms at all. And because of low viral load, the less likely one is to pass on an infection to another individual. That's the point of masks.

I find it shocking we have to even discuss this. It has nothing to do with politics, or freedom, or whatever political ideology you feel it represents.
“bUt MuH fREeDoMz”
It sadly comes down to this. Wearing a mask is not a big deal at all unless people want to make it one.

Reactions: OrtizTwelve

sobaka770

Jun 25, 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
Oh here we go with partial info again. Let's take conclusions from the site which is unreliable and borderline extreme right:

Here is the actual abstract text.

Results:
A total of 3030 participants were randomly assigned to the recommendation to wear masks, and 2994 were assigned to control; 4862 completed the study. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 occurred in 42 participants recommended masks (1.8%) and 53 control participants (2.1%). The between-group difference was −0.3 percentage point (95% CI, −1.2 to 0.4 percentage point; P = 0.38) (odds ratio, 0.82 [CI, 0.54 to 1.23]; P = 0.33). Multiple imputation accounting for loss to follow-up yielded similar results. Although the difference observed was not statistically significant, the 95% CIs are compatible with a 46% reduction to a 23% increase in infection.

Limitation:
Inconclusive results, missing data, variable adherence, patient-reported findings on home tests, no blinding, and no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others.

Conclusion:
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

So the only conclusion with severe limitations(!) is that masks didn't reduce infection rate by more than 50%? The Ci is between 46 and -24% it's basically too low of a sample to make a determination at this rate - the population is too low, especially the % infected overall. Considering the very tiny proportion of overall infected in the population you'd need a much bigger sample, clearly the transmission among the group are too few to account just for masks and not other factors. In such tiny amounts it's more of a family/closed friends kind of situation. Personally I find this study to be shoddy - the actual data is much too unreliable to make a reasonable test, environemnt is not controlled, variable doens't seem to be isolated etc... If 5 people in any group were to be infected at this rate that would cause a difference between being significant margin or not - it's simply not good science.

So don't be stupid, stop posting crap scioence and wear the damn mask if you're in high risk area/high density area.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
The truth is with Covid you can find an expert tell you anything you want to hear. There are no fucking experts. That's the only truth. Tomorrow, you will read about another study that says mask are effective. So what's the truth? The only thing we do know is that the Asian countries have been wearing masks and they seem to be doing okay. Western countries are doing terrible. The mask police act like like the masks are 100% percent effective. They are not. Only social distancing and staying the fuck away from people is.
This is one of those things, where you can look at the totality of the evidence. There are many complicating factors that make it messy. You are right, there are no experts, there is conjecture in the moment. We figure out the facts as we get more info - that is actual true real science in the Aristotle sense of the word. That is part of the problem though, the media essentially anointed one POV (the Bill Gates-Fauci POV of this) as "science" early on and censored everyone else. So we haven't gotten a lot of science in all this, but a lot of propaganda and shaming.

It depends on the mask you are wearing. If everybody walked around wearing N95 masks, it would limit the spread 100% guaranteed. Who is going to do that? My relatives all work in the medical field and I can tell you they aren't going in a room with a Covid patient without a mask. Are you going to fucking tell the people in hospitals not to wear masks because of some study that you found on the Internet?
It's important to think of this sort of thing on two levels. One is the micro level, with individual interactions. The other is macro, as in what is a good policy for a society at large.

For individuals working in the medical field, who are trained on how to handle masks, who have access to the ones that are designed to limit viral spread, who are interacting with known sick people, yea, they should wear masks and limit these interactions.

But on a macro level, we are talking about billions of people on earth who are told to wear anything - gas mask, N95, KN95, surgical mask, cloth mask from Amazon, bandana, g-string, whatever the fuck - and just do that. They are not given training, they are just told to strap it on endlessly. And ultimately, as a policy, that just hasn't worked. The mask mandates have all been observable failures. Instead of shifting focus to things that may be successful, the PTB have just doubled down on masks and turned them into a sort of morality play, where if you get sick it just means you weren't masking hard enough. And that is even worse.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Sep 10, 2006

The CDC actually revised their guidance and said masks do help prevent infection and honestly, that looks pretty thin at this point, especially talking about cloth and surgical masks. N95s probably do help quite a bit, and additionally probably help not just in infection, but in severity if someone is infected. As for preventing transmission, this study doesn't really address that. You could probably look at the widespread mask mandates and usage currently happening and compare to March/April. If masks are effective at reducing transmission, then that should show up now because there's so much masking. But when you look at the numbers, that reduction isn't really showing up, at least not in a meaningful way. You can't look at cases and deaths because they don't track linearly due to testing and treatment differences, but hospitilizations should be fairly linear. Why are hospitilizations going through the roof if masks work?

Svengoolie007

Dec 22, 2019
It doesn't mean we all have it, it means we literally don't even know who has it, because of asymptomatic transmission. You can be a walking timebomb without even knowing it. Wear a mask.
Yeah well I've been wearing the stupid mask since May. Where's it gotten us? My parents wear the stupid mask and they're both sick with it now. Where's it gotten us? What's the end game? Dr. Faustus says we have to keep wearing the masks after getting a vaccine too! When are you gonna wake up to the fact that this is about controlling us?

You know what else? The reason so many people died from the Spanish Flu wasn't the flu itself, it was bacterial infection. How do you think they got that? Because they were all wearing cheesecloth over their faces! You'd think 100 years later we would habe thought better.