• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Study Finds Masks Don’t Reduce COVID-19 Infection Rates

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
The same study determined that the masks are effective as preventing you from infecting people, just not effective at protecting you from other maskless people. Basically everybody has to wear a mask or they're virtually useless.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
So like most people, you're fine with government overreach as long as you don't perceive it as personally affecting you.

Government overreach is a slippery slope.

...And also, masks don't do jack shit (outside of possibly a controlled health care environment among trained professionals).

I'm glad stretching your underpants over your face makes you feel Iike you're a hero though. Whatever gets you through the day. Sheep always find ways to rationalize being sheep.
Never said anything remotely of the sort. This post is batshit crazy.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
These discussions get the fire in me raging because I've spent so much time exploring them and no one is ever able to make a strong case for the masks. It always boils down to blind trust when we're talking about their efficacy in the general public. The real world results proves that trust is misplaced. "The science" many think they're following is more akin to a new religion.

I know you mean well, but if it was "just a mask" as so many claim I'd say sure, whatever, enjoy masking up, no skin off my back or something along those lines, but this is one part of a global campaign to keep the fear alive. This pandemic does not exist without the fear. The pitiful PCR tests are the worst offender, but as I pointed out elsewhere:

I trust my doctors, my friends who work in the medical industry and some of the experts I've heard talk about it. I think I have a good bullshit detector and listening to people speak about it at length, they speak about it very well.

Also articles like this one, which isn't indisputable proof, but does show signs.

Since none of us are experts in the subject we all have to believe someone at some point, right? I'm not a doctor. I listen to the people I trust, and decide for myself what makes the most sense. That's all one can do really.

Reactions: lethial and clem84

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
They want to maintain control. And even if you give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're NOT power hungry petty tyrants, there are still other self serving motives... such as retroactively justifying past (and now present and future) draconian actions to save face, by making sure as few people as possible realize this is completely overblown.
Well they already have the (limited) amount of control government has and I don't think that makes them power hungry tyrants, unless I don't know, maybe you think all politicians are tyrants? Also, draconian measures to justify draconian measures? I'm sorry, I'm not seeing much of a reason there. This is crippling our economy and turning our societies upside down. You're implying our governments are doing unspeakable evils, just to gain a bit more control over our lives.

Is the pandemic real? I'll say this: End the mass testing of healthy/asymptomatic people and the pandemic, for the most part, ends tomorrow. I guarantee it.
But testing is very important to discover new infections and prevent them from spreading. There's no way ending tests for healthy/asymptomatics won't make things slightly worse. Also, I don't know where you live in the world but testing over here is completely voluntary. People get tested when they either have symptoms, or were in contact with a confirmed case so there's a chance they may have it. Sorry, I don't see how ending that would help.

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
Money. Power. Control.

I don't want to misinterpret you but it seems you're implying that all governments who are actively fighting covid19 are in bed, so to speak, with big tech giants and other mega corporations and have no problem slaughtering local businesses and seeing their societies go to hell. To call this behavior evil would be an understatement. I don't know man... Call me a sheep but I have a bit more faith in my local government. btw I'm also from Quebec.

I got from what you said that if there was no fear, the pandemic wouldn't exist. My bad if that's not what you meant.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
That’s the thing. It’s the spread when you don’t know you have it.

ita not the 85 percent. That’s not the number to focus on.
The question is whether a cloth or surgical mask helps an infected person from spreading it. Not whether it stops someone from getting it
And the answer to both appears to be: neither. The second wave has hit harder than the first if you want to use case rates, and most states have had mask mandates in effect while the second wave began.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I trust my doctors, my friends who work in the medical industry and some of the experts I've heard talk about it. I think I have a good bullshit detector and listening to people speak about it at length, they speak about it very well.

Also articles like this one, which isn't indisputable proof, but does show signs.

Since none of us are experts in the subject we all have to believe someone at some point, right? I'm not a doctor. I listen to the people I trust, and decide for myself what makes the most sense. That's all one can do really.
The difference here is that we aren’t at the point where we’re having a “let’s hear both sides and hash this shit out” discussion. Masks are being mandated and the science behind them is still not settled. I don’t think anyone is arguing that an N95 mask properly worn and fitted over short periods of timewill prevent disease, but that’s quite a bit different from wearing a pair of panties on your face all day with your nose running all over it and you fingering it every two minutes to wipe the snot away and refit the ridiculous thing. They’re essentially giving people a useless talisman to clutch because the truth is simply: there is nothing else.

The country is being shut down again based on what exactly, again? Increased case rates, while masks are being worn. There is a degree of irrationality to this entire proceeding. Look at New York closing schools. Dr Redfield at the CDC said just yesterday schools are probably the safest place for kids right now and that the risk rate for infection is far surpassed by the risks of not going to school. What do they do? They shut the schools down with no notice and now these parents have to figure out what to do with their kids. This was not a move for safety; it was a move designed to appease the teachers unions, which is a theme we see recurring across the country. Europe has opened schools and done just fine with it. For a group that screams about listening to science, they sure seem selective when the science involves loosening their grip on people’s lives.

Last edited:

Urban Viking

Oct 21, 2012
If the mask doesnt block the virus getting in, how can it protect against getting out?
It reduces the spread of respiratory droplets (which contain the virus) generated by coughing, sneezing, breathing and speaking.

It's not irrespective, it's core to the issue.

How do you explain to someone that they absolutely need to wear masks when Sweden has been doing better without them?

Masks serve a specific purpose for health care workers in health care settings. They're not producing the intended results "out in the wild." It was a nice, large scale experiment, but doubling down on measures that are not working is insane.

This command over social behavior from the top down should have raised alarm bells in everyone by now.
Better than who? As far as infection rate and lethality is concerned, it’s been doing worse than Germany, for example, which does enforce mask usage. And this is without even taking into consideration other factors such as population density, which is on average about ten times as high in Germany.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad_Titan

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Just like I stated before you will get sick whether you are wearing a mask or not. It is all about immunity, luck, destiny, whatever.
People got sick wearing masks all the time, people got sick never leaving the house, people did not get sick sitting at home, people did not get sick leaving the house without musk etc.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
If the mask doesnt block the virus getting in, how can it protect against getting out?
These masks might help with droplets exiting your mouth. But that’s it. It does nothing to prevent aerosolized particles from exit or entering. Masks (outside of th N95s and higher level surgical masks) really won’t help with aerosolized virus. So if that is the primary mode of transmission, masks are pointless.

Sep 14, 2014
Family member is sick. Other family members now thinks it's sort of safe to be in the same room as long as you're wearing a mask. The false sense of security is very real. Either you're prepared to get it, or not and so stay the fuck away.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Family member is sick. Other family members now thinks it's sort of safe to be in the same room as long as you're wearing a mask. The false sense of security is very real. Either you're prepared to get it, or not and so stay the fuck away.
This is also a real problem. People think the masks are like armor, when often they are not really doing anything.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Reposting this here because it's worth hearing, it's only 5 min

Top pathologist Dr. Roger Hodkinson told government officials in Alberta during a zoom conference call that the current coronavirus crisis is “the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public.”
Guys the video is only 5 min, fucking listen to this shit

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Well, I think there is no doubt masks protect. The issue is that it simply doesn’t work for a whole day usage. People will touch their nose, eyes, etc.
See this is the problem. There plenty of doubt. What kind of mask? There a gulf between an medical grade N95 and a $0.10 single layer cloth mask. The former is great both for protection of the wearer and others. The latter probably isn’t doing anything when the virus is aerosolized, which apparently happens when people just simply talking.

But many people have the same misconceptions about masks. It’s actually harmful sometimes because it gives people they idea they are protected when they are not.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oct 12, 2012
More and more people are realising we cannot live our lives like this, and more and more people are realising it doesn't end until they refuse to go along with it. Those who are not willing to check out reality are emboldening governments to become ever more totalitarian. As I said before, masks are a mandate on whether the government can safely become more totalitarian. Beware the mask wearers. I keep saying that for a reason. They will become the next brown shirts. Trump is Hitler and his followers are Nazi, so it's justified to treat him and his followers like animals. None mask wearers are 'evil' and responsible for 'killing old people', so it's justified to treat them like animals. Just for one moment imagine where this goes, and understand this is planned.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Well they already have the (limited) amount of control government has and I don't think that makes them power hungry tyrants, unless I don't know, maybe you think all politicians are tyrants? Also, draconian measures to justify draconian measures? I'm sorry, I'm not seeing much of a reason there. This is crippling our economy and turning our societies upside down. You're implying our governments are doing unspeakable evils, just to gain a bit more control over our lives.

But testing is very important to discover new infections and prevent them from spreading. There's no way ending tests for healthy/asymptomatics won't make things slightly worse. Also, I don't know where you live in the world but testing over here is completely voluntary. People get tested when they either have symptoms, or were in contact with a confirmed case so there's a chance they may have it. Sorry, I don't see how ending that would help.
It's not "draconian measures to justify draconian measures". It's "keep the fear alive to justify draconian measures". To the bolded: Yes. Yes I am. Maybe some of it is out of stupidy or ignorance instead of evil, but on the mass scale as has been gone over dozens of time in the COVID OT, there are clearly nefarious actors with ulterior motives.

As for testing, the way ending what I would consider "unnecessary testing" would help is it would drastically lower nominal case counts. It would also lower nominal COVID hospitalizations and deaths in places where COVID tests are required upon hospital admission. In my area tons of people are going in for other reasons and testing positive for COVID even if they have no symptoms, and are counted towards COVID hospitalization numbers even if they're there because they broke their leg falling off of scaffolding or something.

Testing is voluntary here, to an extent, but many jobs require regular testing so in that sense it's not entirely voluntary. Local governments are also running bullying/fear campaigns trying to convince people to get tested regardless of any symptoms or sickness if they're in an "orange or red zone". The local high school had free testing one day this week and the line of cars was over 1/2 mile long, maybe close to a mile at its peak, in my modestly sized town of 6,500. My town has had around 180 "cases" since this started, with about 40 of them coming in the past two months. Yet we're testing a mile long train of cars. Those all sound like "necessary" tests to you?

So yes, ending that would help. It would drastically reduce COVID case numbers, and somewhat reduce COVID hospitalization/death numbers. Hence the fear would reduce, and the restrictions along with it.

But as GribbleGrunger GribbleGrunger said this only ends once enough people refuse to go along with it. Because mass testing isn't ending any time soon.

We are destroying the economy and peoples' lives over this. We are seriously hampering the education of an entire generation. Collateral damage and deaths of despair as far as the eye can see. The full impact won't be known for years. All to, when you come down to it, keep some elderly people alive anywhere from a few extra months to a few extra years.

Yes, that is unspeakably evil.

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
And the answer to both appears to be: neither. The second wave has hit harder than the first if you want to use case rates, and most states have had mask mandates in effect while the second wave began.
That’s not good enough evidence. It’s lots of factors. I just want to see more peer reviewed actually science

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Better than who? As far as infection rate and lethality is concerned, it’s been doing worse than Germany, for example, which does enforce mask usage. And this is without even taking into consideration other factors such as population density, which is on average about ten times as high in Germany.
If masks and social distancing worked even half as well as the public health officials believed then Sweden would be leading the world by a large margin in rate of cases, hospitalizations and deaths with the country probably in panic mode right now. That is not the case at all.

You can pull up videos on social media of Stockholm walkthroughs from recent weeks/months, indoors and out, where it looks just like life in pre-pandemic days. How do you rationalize masking Germany, France or any other country when you see that?

Any government that's employing a "covid zero" policy is flat out telling you that your rights are gone forever. Nature will do its thing and T-cells will ensure we've got the natural immunity needed to ensure this fades into the background. The vaccines may wind up being a bigger fraud than the PCR tests, they'll accomplish something but it won't be transmission prevention.

That's a horrible article, there are too many laughably poor examples cited as evidence. Using the Beijing study doesn't exactly inspire confidence either given that so much of the propaganda that fueled this inexcusable response originated from China. As pointed out, they're attending sporting events without masks.

Local doctors are afraid to speak out against the government's measures because they know it'll cause trouble for them. One that did on a news network, Dr. Lawrence Rosenberg, was forced to apologize. He "clarified" instead by saying getting the flu and covid at the same time could be dangerous which was apparently enough to let him off the hook. The difference between his two remarks? One killed the fear narrative, the other kept it alive/fanned it.

I got into a bit of a heated discussion with a long time friend of mine recently over vaccines, not knowing he had spent months helping with one of the US developed ones, but we're on the same page: this is one giant fraud and the measures in place are ridiculous.

Fauci intentionally misrepresented the Moderna and Pfizer trial findings yesterday at the White House podium which will lead people to believe they'll be able to prevent transmission of the virus by 95%, so naturally the masses that trust him will want to run out and get vaccinated. How does anyone still trust the government or the public health "experts" when they carry themselves like this? That's pure deception. Science and medicine have been dangerously compromised.

Then there's the psychiatrist from the HHS I mentioned yesterday, watch this beauty:

They're straight up telling you how they're seeking to condition the public, no attempt to even hide it anymore.

btw I'm also from Quebec.
Are you watching Legault, Arruda, Dube and Guilbault with any regularity or are you getting the daily summaries for their briefings from media outlets? It's almost a rhetorical question because those four have done so much damage to themselves and the mainstream narrative that I don't think anyone paying close attention to them would still be in line with the mainstream narrative.

Last August Legault was facing questions from the opposition parties and Anglade tried to pin him down on excess deaths to make the case that he did a poor job handling the pandemic. He calmly brushed that off by saying excess deaths were in line with previous years. That was a headline grabbing statement after the months spent in panic mode. So why didn't the media pick that up and why didn't the opposition use it against him in the days/weeks that followed? 🤔

You can find it at the 34:38 mark in this Youtube video.

Urban Viking

Oct 21, 2012
If masks and social distancing worked even half as well as the public health officials believed then Sweden would be leading the world by a large margin in rate of cases, hospitalizations and deaths with the country probably in panic mode right now. That is not the case at all.

I think that this is a very reductive take as it excludes any possible variable that may influence the spread of COVID-19. As I had already suggested, population density seems to be one such factor (there are probably many more, but it is certainly among the most obvious ones).
The falling number of deaths depicted in the graph you posted is also somewhat misleading as it is an artifact of the way Sweden reports its number of deaths.

You can pull up videos on social media of Stockholm walkthroughs from recent weeks/months, indoors and out, where it looks just like life in pre-pandemic days. How do you rationalize masking Germany, France or any other country when you see that?

Any government that's employing a "covid zero" policy is flat out telling you that your rights are gone forever. Nature will do its thing and T-cells will ensure we've got the natural immunity needed to ensure this fades into the background. The vaccines may wind up being a bigger fraud than the PCR tests, they'll accomplish something but it won't be transmission prevention.

If I am not mistaken, Sweden seems to be a statistical outlier. I’d need to do some research on that. At any rate, masks alone won’t help contain the virus (duh) and more research is needed on other possible external factors.

Also, what exact rights are “gone forever?”

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Also, what exact rights are “gone forever?”
Everything falsely sold to us as temporary measures under the guise of public health/safety. Why am I threatened with costly fines for not wearing a mask or social distancing while protesting outdoors? Why are doctors threatened to "hold the line (re: narrative)" and afraid to speak out? The measures put in place to deal with this virus needed to be rational and minimally intrusive, but the opposite is true when they're doing things like threatening to barge into homes with fast-tracked "telewarrants" if you invite anyone that doesn't live there.

This is not how democratic countries function, nobody voted for this.

The world was in panic mode and didn't know what to think early in the year, governments got the benefit of the doubt back then. That's long gone, we've learned too much to still be acting the same way or worse than we did back in March and April.

Sep 14, 2014
Do we have a COVID OT? I noticed a strange smell this morning as if my room was full of dust, like I had a sudden heightened awareness of "air quality". I can no longer taste or smell things. Can't smell vodka or petrol. Can't taste mouthwash or toothpaste.

I felt slightly strange for 2 weeks, and similar symptoms are to this point so it's hard to say if this is the beginning or the end of my course with COVID. Official confirmation tomorrow morning.

Other symptoms are all minor. It seems less severe than a cold because you do not feel "bad" in anyway which is probably what helps it spread quickly.

• Love
Reactions: Tesseract

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Do we have a COVID OT? I noticed a strange smell this morning as if my room was full of dust, like I had a sudden heightened awareness of "air quality". I can no longer taste or smell things. Can't smell vodka or petrol. Can't taste mouthwash or toothpaste.

I felt slightly strange for 2 weeks, and similar symptoms are to this point so it's hard to say if this is the beginning or the end of my course with COVID. Official confirmation tomorrow morning.

Other symptoms are all minor. It seems less severe than a cold because you do not feel "bad" in anyway which is probably what helps it spread quickly.

• Love
Reactions: Jill Valentine

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie - 12Deflections
Mar 1, 2017
What % of people do you think want a mask mandate just because they have low self esteem?

I'd bet ~15% (higher for the under 40 population) like wearing a mask because they feel ugly and get to hide behind them in public.
For real. By the time you have endeared them they no longer care what you look like.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
What % of people do you think want a mask mandate just because they have low self esteem?

I'd bet ~15% (higher for the under 40 population) like wearing a mask because they feel ugly and get to hide behind them in public.
You know, I never really thought about it. But now that you mention it, I bet there's definitely some segment of introverts and / or people with low self esteem who are loving this.

Reactions: showernota

Urban Viking

Oct 21, 2012
Everything falsely sold to us as temporary measures under the guise of public health/safety.
This implies that you believe that current safety measurements are useless, correct?

Why am I threatened with costly fines for not wearing a mask or social distancing while protesting outdoors?
You are threatened with costly fines because masks work best if as many people as possible wear them. As for being fined for protesting while social distancing, where does that happen?

Why are doctors threatened to "hold the line (re: narrative)" and afraid to speak out?
I have read many times on this forum that a large number of scientists/doctors have spoken out against COVID containment strategies and treatments, how exactly are they afraid to speak out? Maybe this impression is due to the fact that their opinions/findings deviate from current scientific consensus?

The measures put in place to deal with this virus needed to be rational and minimally intrusive,
Optimally, there needs to be high efficacy with as little intrusiveness as possible, but concessions need to be made if public health and safety is endangered. I do think that governments need to drastically change their containment strategies, though, I think we agree on that point.

but the opposite is true when they're doing things like threatening to barge into homes with fast-tracked "telewarrants" if you invite anyone that doesn't live there.

This is not how democratic countries function, nobody voted for this.

The world was in panic mode and didn't know what to think early in the year, governments got the benefit of the doubt back then. That's long gone, we've learned too much to still be acting the same way or worse than we did back in March and April.
Haven’t heard of this before, very worrisome and terrifying, thanks for the link

Last edited:

Majukun

Jun 19, 2009

So do we follow the science? Or do we just put this study into the "conspiracy theory" bucket?

Well it is possible that there are many holes in this study, it was censored for months on end, which I am sure has nothing to do with its conclusion and more to do with that these Danish scientist are clearly MAGA Trumpers spreading right wing conspiracies about 5G and Q.
you might misinterpret what science is though.
one study saying something is not science, it's a proposal of truth passed to peers able to review it.

until said review among peers has been made, you can't really say anything

what we do know is the general spread methods of corona viruses and how surgical masks whould be able to at least limit the spread of droplets around.

unless you can't somehow debunk this and discover that this corona virus is able to go straight through the mask or doesn't spread through droplets as we thought, that study alone doesn't mean much...if there were numerous it would be reason enough to investigate why, but theorical studies and number checks will never be the end of the road for science, that always end up in a lab.

if numbers and looking at curves was enough, we would have mathematicians in place of virologists (or most other scientists)

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
you might misinterpret what science is though.
one study saying something is not science, it's a proposal of truth passed to peers able to review it.

until said review among peers has been made, you can't really say anything

what we do know is the general spread methods of corona viruses and how surgical masks whould be able to at least limit the spread of droplets around.

unless you can't somehow debunk this and discover that this corona virus is able to go straight through the mask or doesn't spread through droplets as we thought, that study alone doesn't mean much...if there were numerous it would be reason enough to investigate why, but theorical studies and number checks will never be the end of the road for science, that always end up in a lab.

if numbers and looking at curves was enough, we would have mathematicians in place of virologists (or most other scientists)
The burden of proof should be on the assholes that are mandating draconian measures that erode our freedoms. Not the other way around. "Well we think it 'should' limit the spread" isn't science either. Especially when it doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing in dozens of countries with extremely high mask compliance, if these surging case numbers are to be believed.

The masks are bullshit.

Majukun

Jun 19, 2009
The burden of proof should be on the assholes that are mandating draconian measures that erode our freedoms. Not the other way around.
not how it works though, the harshness of the treatment doesn't invalidate the treatment itself..if someone comes and says he thinks chemotherapy doesn't work and we should just do nothing and cancer solves itself, the burden of proof falls on the new theory, not the previously agreed treatment that scientist so far belive works..even if it is harsh.
we should not base decision on what we want to be true, the virus doesn't care about your freedom
"Well we think it 'should' limit the spread" isn't science either.
not a virologist myself but "science" is pretty much sure about how covid spreads at this point, that's the reason why the burden of proof fallas on the new theory, the theory we are following thus far has already been analysed and tested.

Especially when it doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing in dozens of countries with extremely high mask compliance, if these surging case numbers are to be believed.
let's define things though..."doing a damn thing", compared to what?
we have no frame of reference on what would be the situation if we never did anything, and the number of variables at play is plenty huge..for example you say "high mask compliance", then we check how people are using masks and we find this

this level of "high mask compliance" is the same level as "no compliance"... the human factor and how thoroughly it follows the guideline is a big factor, way more than "this country has mandatory masks in public places".
The masks are bullshit.
well, science politely disagrees..both surgical masks and n95 masks have been used with success way before covid was a thing, so again please explain science why you think they wouldn't work with covid specifically.
until you can explain that, science it's gonna do its thing.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: prag16 and clem84

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
not how it works though, the harshness of the treatment doesn't invalidate the treatment itself..if someone comes and says he thinks chemotherapy doesn't work and we should just do nothing and cancer solves itself, the burden of proof falls on the new theory, not the previously agreed treatment that scientist so far belive works..even if it is harsh.
we should not base decision on what we want to be true, the virus doesn't care about your freedom

not a virologist myself but "science" is pretty much sure about how covid spreads at this point, that's the reason why the burden of proof fallas on the new theory, the theory we are following thus far has already been analysed and tested.

let's define things though..."doing a damn thing", compared to what?
we have no frame of reference on what would be the situation if we never did anything, and the number of variables at play is plenty huge..for example you say "high mask compliance", then we check how people are using masks and we find this

this level of "high mask compliance" is the same level as "no compliance"... the human factor and how thoroughly it follows the guideline is a big factor, way more than "this country has mandatory masks in public places".

well, science politely disagrees..both surgical masks and n95 masks have been used with success way before covid was a thing, so again please explain science why you think they wouldn't work with covid specifically.
until you can explain that, science it's gonna do its thing.
Universal masking of healthy populations is the "new theory". In case you have a very short memory, everything we "knew" prior to March or perhaps April 2020 did not call for this approach. It became political. It is not based in actual scientific data. The scant few "studies" that claim it is a good idea are not RCTs and are riddled with confounding factors.

Compsiox

Jul 6, 2014
Honestly none of the sacrifices are worth it anymore. Lets undo everything and fully open the economy. I am very concerned about the control these governors try to have over people. Time to end it and reform the rights of governors.

Last edited:

Aladin

Jul 26, 2020
Masks have reduced the intensity of my seasonal Rhinitis. If the lockdowns improved air quality, social distancing reduced the spread of common flu's, I say it was worth it. But i do not want another lockdown.

Majukun

Jun 19, 2009
Universal masking of healthy populations is the "new theory". In case you have a very short memory, everything we "knew" prior to March or perhaps April 2020 did not call for this approach. It became political. It is not based in actual scientific data. The scant few "studies" that claim it is a good idea are not RCTs and are riddled with confounding factors.
so you are saying that apparently n95 masks work against viruses if one guy uses them, but for some reason lose effectiveness when they are applied to multiple people.
can't say i follow the reasoning.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
so you are saying that apparently n95 masks work against viruses if one guy uses them, but for some reason lose effectiveness when they are applied to multiple people.
can't say i follow the reasoning.
People by and large are not wearing N95 respirators (and honestly many of the people I DO see walking around with these are not wearing them correctly). They are stretching their underpants across their face.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Masks have reduced the intensity of my seasonal Rhinitis. If the lockdowns improved air quality, social distancing reduced the spread of common flu's, I say it was worth it. But i do not want another lockdown.
The problem is that wearing masks does nothing to prevent another lockdown, because masks aren't actually preventing viral spread and the number of positive cases according to overly sensitive, misused PCR tests.

I've said it many times, NYC has had basically total mask compliance since April, and they are going to shut down everything in the next week or two most likely. The masks are a lie, they don't actually help us "get back to normal" and they don't prevent the government from enacting further totalitarian measures.

Reactions: cryptoadam