• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Wii System 3 Update Feature: Keyboard Support! Also, what does this mean?

Well, I can't believe this went a whole day without anyone picking up on it, but the Wii now features USB keyboard support in both the Wii Message Board and the Wii Shop Channel. This pretty much means Nintendo has the ability to add keyboard features in games from here on out (Madden 08 possibly?). I may use the message boards a bit more often now.

This pretty much also means that an Internet Channel update is imminent.

I have also sent this message of exclusively to Random Nintendo:
http://www.randomnintendo.com/?id=2559

THis would actually confirm a wireless keyboard purchase for me if someone can hook up a wireless keyboard and let me know if it works.

My wired Dell keyboard works like a charm.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wario64 said:
You know what this means?

TYPING OF THE FUCKING DEAD 2

DO IT SEGA.

This is a good, rational, well-thought out idea. So you should know that Sega has no intention of acting on it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
So what? You just plugged in your keybaord and it started recognizing the intput?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Gahiggidy said:
So what? You just plugged in your keybaord and it started recognizing the intput?

If you had the ability to post on NeoGAF from your Wii, I don't think there'd be any hope left for you at all.

Hairtux

Dude! I can also confirm this. I plugged it in while I was at the main channels screen and nothing happens. But as soon as you go into the message board, the Wii initializes the keyboard and my numlock light lit up. I also just sent a USB keyboard typed message to a friend.

Also, while nice, I don't really see the purpose of this. I like the simplicity of the Wii (and Opera) for just showing Youtube videos and stuff. A keyboard in the living room is just more clutter.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Mouse support kinda scares me as it diminishes the wii-pointer, in a way.

Bildi

Good news for me. My home computer is stuffed so I can only access gaf at home on the Wii which means I do not bother. But now I might bother. Whee!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
traveler said:
There was definitely a firmware update today. What it did, I have no clue. This seems plausible though.

From the other thread.

Channels:
-Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
-Forecast Channel now displays the current condition (cloudy, raining, etc.) directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
-News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button (supposedly this requires occasional downloading of the headlines to keep the ticker updated)
-Message Board now has the "Today's Accomplishments" message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
-Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B (supposed to be a launch feature) but only to empty spaces. Not too convenient.
-Calendar in Message Board no longer shows "Today's Accomplishment" only days as having messages
-Scrolling messages in the Message Board now uses a different sound
-Today's Accomplishments in Message Boards now includes the names of people to whom messages were sent out

Wii Shop Channel Overhauled (Visual aesthetic is the same, changes made to organization and browsing methods mostly)
-New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost (gone is the title screen bar that had linkable games). The title bar can be clicked on to bring up a list of 20 recommended games.
-Titles You've Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
-New ways to browse
-Popular Titles (2 pages of 10 and includes launch games so not only based on recent info)
-Newest Additions remains the same
-Search for a title which can use partial names
-Search by Category
-System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
-Publisher showing different publishers and amount of titles released (Nice logos!)
-Genre (different genres listed and amount of titles under each)

Accessibility
-Load times in interchannel loading has supposedly decreased (TheGreatDave)
-Password fields filled in using the keyboard (like on the Internet Channel) now display asterisks (VOOK)

Settings
-Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds (the user can't back out of hitting I Accept w/o powering down)
-Ability to quickly scroll the different options pages using the +,- keys (Myke Greywolf)
-Blue disc light lights up when inserting or removing a game (thefro)
-Light also comes on when starting the Forecast or News Channels (CreatureX3)

Gahiggidy

RIght now there is an enterprising peripheral maker drawing up plans to make a "Wii compatable" white keybaord. Get it out before Nintendo has there own and you'd make some quick, easy cash.

Just got the third update.
Very nice to see Nintendo actually taking gamers seriously in what they want.
:)
NOW ADD HARD DRIVE SUPPORT!

fernoca

I can confirm USB keyboards work. :)
Tried the Logitech one..the small one sold iat EB/Gamestop...for the PS2.

Gahiggidy

This could be great for in depth strategy games. Pointer in one hand, keyboard on the lap.

Xeke

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
RIght now there is an enterprising peripheral maker drawing up plans to make a "Wii compatable" white keybaord. Get it out before Nintendo has there own and you'd make some quick, easy cash.

661-2939.gif

TJ Spyke

"Password fields filled in using the keyboard (like on the Internet Channel) now display asterisks (VOOK)"

That is not new. That feature has been in since at least the previous update (I know because when I used the Internet Channel a few weeks ago and logged onto a mesageboard, it had the password displayed in asterisks rather than showing my password like it used to).

Turtle, it's a bulletin board, not a messageboard.

Top Bottom