• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

The new Gyorg fight, specifically the second phase, is straight up terrible. In a game where you're on a time table, what the hell possessed them to make the fight nearly twice as long and janky as hell?

Wonderfully I can swap out Gyorg with another boss in particular and this still makes sense.
What they did with the bosses here was weak.

Ants

I think many of the changes were for the better (swimming included, though you should be able to fast swim without magic), but the Gyorg fight is straight up depressing. It makes the
Fierce Deity Mask, which seemed intended to trivialize boss fights so you could explore permutations more easily
, almost totally useless, because the 2 (really one) bosses it has any effectiveness on are as easy or possibly even easier to beat quickly without it.

It's a really unfortunate nerf to one of the hypest moments of the game, and harms that legacy for people playing for the first time. Anyone who only played MM3D won't understand why
the Fierce Deity Mask
is hype as fuck.

The swimming would be sort of okay if they did anything at all to balance Great Bay around it, but they didn't. Swimming is entirely different but the area itself is entirely the same. Pinnacle Rock is noticeably awful, with all of the magic jars save one at the very bottom of the pit, despite that you need magic there now to get from hole to hole at a reasonable speed and not just to kill the eels.

mrkgoo

You could have done this just as easily in the original game, using an owl statue in the exact same way. Although in the original you would have the added benefit of being able to save anywhere, anytime using the song of time without having to even warp to a statue. The new system has no benefit the original didn't other than adding extra statues.

I like the new saving ability, but I would like to end the sessions with the song of time. Saving at a statue right afterward isn't the same thing. It was the action of playing the song and seeing the cycle restart, knowing that your progress was being saved, that made it satisfying. I tried saving at the start of each new cycle and it just didn't have the same impact. You can condescend and say that I'm nitpicking if you want, but that's how I enjoyed the game.

I wouldn't expect you to have a problem if you didn't know what you were missing. You'll probably feel like you're superpowered if you play Great Bay in the original.

Part of the problem is that Great Bay is a boring space when slow swimming. It was fun and memorable because of the action that took place there- the swimming- not the environment itself. It was designed as a wide expanse to serve as a sort of playground for the fast swimming mechanic. That space is a lot more tedious to get across without the mechanic it was designed around.

Chateau Romani unbalances the difficulty by giving you unlimited magic everywhere, which I don't want when I'm not underwater. It also doesn't change the fact that the electric shield gets really annoying when swimming long distances.

It also requires you to have romani's mask, to wait until a substantial portion of the 3 day cycle is over, and spend 200 rupees every single time you start a new cycle in Great Bay. The amount of time you'd spend doing all this outweighs the amount of time you'd save by fast swimming, and it'd put a dent in your savings for the banker heart piece.

I understand that some people want to defend this remake no matter what, but this was a stupid change. There was a need to make the swimming more flexible indoors, but it didn't require wrecking what seem to be the only good swimming controls in the history of gaming.

They just had to toggle the speeds. That's it. There would be no problem with the new swimming at all if they had done this.

Didn't the original owl statues actually quit out though?

Something I like about the new save system is that you can do a flyby "save" to lock in your progress before just sleeping the device. This came into benefit when i did so, and came back to resume my game only to find the cartridge had accidentally been ejected.

Of course you can also stream line long tasks by savin and returning to your save. Info understand the argument of reducing the "stress" and pressure and supposedly the whole point to the design of MM, but I think that's a toss up whether that's a good or bad thing because every player is different and some can find that whole concpet to be inaccessible or frustrating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Didn't the original owl statues actually quit out though?

Something I like about the new save system is that you can do a flyby "save" to lock in your progress before just sleeping the device. This came into benefit when i did so, and came back to resume my game only to find the cartridge had accidentally been ejected.

Of course you can also stream line long tasks by savin and returning to your save. Info understand the argument of reducing the "stress" and pressure and supposedly the whole point to the design of MM, but I think that's a toss up whether that's a good or bad thing because every player is different and some can find that whole concpet to be inaccessible or frustrating.

Yeah, the owls quit. It was basically a suspend state that you resumed and 'erased' with the only hard saves being the song of time cycle start. I liked the old method but I don't really have a big issue with them easing this up as I know it turned people off.

I think i'm gonna make a bigger post about swimming later. I want to go in detail of why it sucks so badly.

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZuyJnmMc70

Which then can be used to do crazy stuff like this, in combination with a few other glitches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh2kIO5vCUM&t=5230

(If timestamps don't work, skip to about 1:27:10 in for the magic).

Wow, watching the whole thing form the timestamp and this is awesome. I'm always so impressed by how speed runners exploit games like this. The Zora climb/bomb trick on top of the Goron stone so he could fling Link onto the light block thing in the Stone Tower was awesome.

Nerrel

I just noticed gamexplain caught a good example of why the new swimming sucks so much, and ironically it's just as he's praising it as being pretty good for inside the temple:

https://youtu.be/vmous633Sx0?t=35s

Link doesn't turn sharp enough to enter the hall fluidly and ends up hitting the right wall. Then the camera freaks out and stutters for a minute before Link gets unstuck and flies across to the opposite wall.

Which is pretty much how these controls worked for me the whole time. The only good thing I can say about it is that it does eliminate the head bonks, but it creates more problems that are far more annoying. I can't believe I'm still just as pissed at this a month later... I suppose at this point there's not much hope of Nintendo patching this.

Anyone have trouble getting the heart piece right before Snowhead? Ya know, the one where you need the Lens of Truth? For the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Twinmold goes on for way too long. I like the idea behind it, but it needs a lot of refinement to be anywhere close to good.

Anyone have trouble getting the heart piece right before Snowhead? Ya know, the one where you need the Lens of Truth? For the life of me I cannot figure it out.
Scarecrow's song.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got time and finished this up yesterday. Did a quick run through of the 4 bosses and beat the game again just now for the hell of it.

Great game overall. Only parts that annoyed me were the beaver race, and the Goron and Zora parts on the moon. I did a mostly complete playthrough--for me anyway with Zelda. I got all the masks, bottles and upgrades. Just didn't bother getting all the heart pieces. Only side quest I skipped was the frog choir one as I didn't feel like hassling with it since I wasn't going for all heart pieces, and I didn't get the heart pieces from the beaver race, or the two shooting galleries (just did them for the bottles and quiver upgrade).

Total playtime was 43:36. By comparison I only spend 28ish beating OOT last year. :D

I'd still put this behind OOT in terms of the 3D Zeldas and behind LTTP and ALBW in the 2D series. So 4th overall. But all those are amazing games.

I also got my Gamestop Reward Majora's mask poster (the Woods one linked earlier in the thread) framed and hung in my gaming room/man cave. Looks great.

zigg

I also got my Gamestop Reward Majora's mask poster (the Woods one linked earlier in the thread) framed and hung in my gaming room/man cave. Looks great.
I ordered the first one by accident before realizing the Woods poster was there.

Emailed GameStop asking if I could cancel, they just credited me more points.

So now I have both. 👍🏼

Kinsei

Banned
Twinmold goes on for way too long. I like the idea behind it, but it needs a lot of refinement to be anywhere close to good.

Scarecrow's song.

I didn't think they took very long. Maybe it's because I used the great fairy sword on the blue one, but they went down about as quickly as the other bosses.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I didn't have any gripes with the bosses. I thought both Gyorg and Twinmold went down quickly (and I got the Great Fairy Sword after that dungeon).

I didn't think they took very long. Maybe it's because I used the great fairy sword on the blue one, but they went down about as quickly as the other bosses.
The first part of Twinmold is okay, it's the second part with the Giant's Mask that goes on too long. He takes too many hits to go down and he should die from three hits to the eye instead of four. The hitboxes for Link's punches are poorly telegraphed. Twinmold himself moves too fast for the game's camera (not using the New 3DS at least). He's invincible for long periods of the fight, both when he's underground and when he pops up to unleash the small guys and spit fire. He just feels like he's designed to waste your time.

Kinsei

Banned
The first part of Twinmold is okay, it's the second part with the Giant's Mask that goes on too long. He takes too many hits to go down and he should die from three hits to the eye instead of four. The hitboxes for Link's punches are poorly telegraphed. Twinmold himself moves too fast for the game's camera (not using the New 3DS at least). He's invincible for long periods of the fight, both when he's underground and when he pops up to unleash the small guys and spit fire. He just feels like he's designed to waste your time.

The first two knockdowns are instant by using the rocks, and it only takes about 4-5 full combos to knock it down after that. Since you can do two full combo's as it flies past you the thing dies really really quickly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The first two knockdowns are instant by using the rocks, and it only takes about 4-5 full combos to knock it down after that. Since you can do two full combo's as it flies past you the thing dies really really quickly.

Yep. I had no trouble dispatching it plenty fast on my first attempt, I have no idea why people keep talking about the length. Only thing that felt weird was 4 hits instead of 3.

Gleethor

Came here specifically to talk about how annoying twinmold is. If you run out of magic while the babies are out, you're SOL.
I've never had this much trouble with a Zelda boss before.

Nerrel

Yep. I had no trouble dispatching it plenty fast on my first attempt, I have no idea why people keep talking about the length. Only thing that felt weird was 4 hits instead of 3.

After running out of rocks, I tried punching and it didn't appear to deal any damage at all. It's very easy to get confused when a fight drags on without clear signs of progress, as it's usually because you're doing something wrong.

The game sets you up to believe that you need the rocks to kill twinmold, and the transition to punching is pretty awkward. It also feels like you have to get far too close before a punch connects, to the point where you'll take damage and get knocked back easily. I really liked the first phase of the fight. Taking down a gigantic twinmold with just the bow was great, and I liked the extra difficulty with the new fireball attacks. The second phase was interesting but awkwardly executed.

All of the bosses except Goht suffer some of the same problem. They're just too dragged out and boring. Odolwa is a ridiculously easy chore once you figure out how to deku bomb him. It's not really fun to just bomb and stab him the same way 3 times over, and that's absolutely all the fight is. Gyorg's mine segment is also awkward, since it's not clear how to dislodge the bombs or how to trigger his inhale move.

This remake needs a remake. I'd be pleased if another 10 years down the road they do "Majora's Mask NX 3D+HD+VR Edition" to fix the things they broke this time. They'll probably fix the Zora swimming and take out the Goron roll.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, as above, it went down quick for me as well. Two rocks, and then some punches.

The New 3DS point may be valid though. I played on one and did use the c stick a lot to keep Twinmold in my sights. C stick is amazing for the camera in this game.

maxcriden

Decently far in but two quick questions if y'all can help--

-Some of the Bombers' Notebook events have white outlines for ongoing event items, some blue. Am I to take it to mean the white means still ongoing?

I ask in re: Honey and Darling's Shop and the Deku Scrub Playground--

I've completed both but all of the HD games are white-outlined event items and one of the Deku Scrub ones is blue and the other two are white. So I'm taking that to mean that I need to get better times on the games. Is that about the sum of it? Nothing more than a hint if I'm way off, please.

--

Evan the Bandleader wants proof that

that I brought the eggs back safely. But I already brought them back to the lab immediately and hatched them and I don't really want to redo the whole thing so...he wants *something* and it's supposed to be one individual item so...what is it he wants? Hint please, not a specific answer. Thank you.

Also, in the same vein, I've made the new song with Japas and tried to play it for Evan but it didn't do anything, even played as a non-Zora. Can I not play it for him until the above first criteria is fulfilled?

Please keep answers vague if possible. Just want to figure out as much for myself as I can. Thanks!

Chuckie

Decently far in but two quick questions if y'all can help--

-Some of the Bombers' Notebook events have white outlines for ongoing event items, some blue. Am I to take it to mean the white means still ongoing?

I ask in re: Honey and Darling's Shop and the Deku Scrub Playground--

Yes, still ongoing. But It means you haven't done everything of the event. In your case just 1/3. It doesn't have anything to do
with how fast you finished the game.

Kinsei

Banned
--

Evan the Bandleader wants proof that

that I brought the eggs back safely. But I already brought them back to the lab immediately and hatched them and I don't really want to redo the whole thing so...he wants *something* and it's supposed to be one individual item so...what is it he wants? Hint please, not a specific answer. Thank you.

Also, in the same vein, I've made the new song with Japas and tried to play it for Evan but it didn't do anything, even played as a non-Zora. Can I not play it for him until the above first criteria is fulfilled?

Please keep answers vague if possible. Just want to figure out as much for myself as I can. Thanks!

Were you only playing one of the songs as Young Link?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thanks for the tips, all. I'll see if I can't figure it out. Much appreciated!

Put it to you this way: I completely forgot how to do this quest and it took me hours to figure it out despite having played this game to completion for the third time. It's not exactly intuitive especially because of how Evan acts. His dialogue acts as a hint beacon for the first half of the zone and its hard to figure out what will deviate him from that.

Could somebody please tell me how to get into the Pirate's Fortress? I'm underwater at the spot where there are four wooden boards with skull and crossbones on them. I know I have to bust through, but how the hell do I do it?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Could somebody please tell me how to get into the Pirate's Fortress? I'm underwater at the spot where there are four wooden boards with skull and crossbones on them. I know I have to bust through, but how the hell do I do it?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Press R to ram it

TheMoon
(Today, 08:42 AM)
image.php

(sorry)

Velcro Fly

Just finished OoT 3D so I'm starting this up. Never made it out of Clock Town on the N64 so most of the game is going to be a new experience for me.

Bitanator

anyone know how to complete the "Playing Paparazzi" side quest, I don't understand how to activate it so the Zora takes the picture of Lulu.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out, I was reading conflicting things as to what to do.

Velcro Fly

Was able to navigate the first cycle, which is more than I was able to do when I played this game 15 years ago. Even managed to get a piece of heart and to notice a chest that showed up on the 3rd day! I probably could have done more around town but I mainly just got a few rupees.

anyone know how to complete the "Playing Paparazzi" side quest, I don't understand how to activate it so the Zora takes the picture of Lulu.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out, I was reading conflicting things as to what to do.
Really weird how they incentivized players to do this. In the original game I was under the impression that this dude was a creep who just wanted a picture of her crying, but in this game he's a "big fan"...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ok I am at the swamp spider house and i have 29/30, and i go in each room and dont hear any spiders. Is there one hidden that makes no sound or is it glitched and i should start over?

A little OT but I was wondering if anyone would like a digital copy of the game guide? I'm not sure if the code still works (I got it about a month ago via a email from GS) but if anyone is interested feel free to PM me or quote and I can send it your way. You'll need a prima games account to redeem as well.

ok I am at the swamp spider house and i have 29/30, and i go in each room and dont hear any spiders. Is there one hidden that makes no sound or is it glitched and i should start over?

They should all make sound
Try revisiting the
"big tree" room and the first room on the right (behind the spider web maybe ?)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
They should all make sound
Try revisiting the
"big tree" room and the first room on the right (behind the spider web maybe ?)

Yup that was it. There's one on the ceiling that doesn't make noise, apparently. Good thing someone else on GameFAQs had the same problem I did.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I just finished Snowhead Temple, it took me 2.5 days unfortunately (even though I slowed down time). As such I have no time to do to the Goron race or place an order with the blacksmith. Do I have to go through that whole damned place again to melt the snow? I really did not enjoy Snowhead Temple, although I did get all the fairies.

Top Bottom