• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

frnXxyM.gif

ec0ec0

this is torturing me... i need to feel like all this people again :,( I want to discover THE ZELDA GAME, for the first time, again!! BibleThump

Finally! Can't wait to play this for the first time.
Can finally play this game now
The only 3D Zelda game I've never played.
Hot shit! I will finally get to play this Zelda!
I don't understand why I never played this game.
Cool, I've never played it and I will on the 3ds.
This is the only Zelda game I have yet to play
Never played MM myself
Never played it
Never played this on the N64
Never played it.
never actually played it.
I'm looking forward to trying this out
never played it
Never played MM
The only Zelda game I haven't played
It'll be my first time playing it
I always did want to try Majora's Mask
never played Majora's Mask.
I never played the original release
Never played this game
I never played this game
Having only played and loved Ocarina
I've never played this game either.
I am looking forward to playing it for the first time.
I never played this.

envious.

and you too :p
You can also add me to that list lol. This will be my first time playing Majora's Mask.

Kade

Man, I remember how crazy I went when Link was doing flip animations up those tree trunks. It was the coolest thing ever for me at the time.

Rich!

Man, I remember how crazy I went when Link was doing flip animations up those tree trunks. It was the coolest thing ever for me at the time.

Hell yeah

Christmas day 2000 was glorious. I remember one of the first things I did after getting the ocarina back was allow the moon to fall just to watch the cutscene

He's in Smash 4. Or does that not count?

That's what I was going to say. He makes for a great costume. I think he's a bit too overpowered to use in a traditional Zelda game or even Hyrule Warriors, though. I just want to see more use of the sword-laser. Fierce Deity Link use it and I think Skyward Sword used it a bit too.

That cover and collector's edition though! Absolutely gorgeous! I really hope we get them in the US.

I wonder what sort of changes they'll make. I figure that bare minimum the save system desperately needs to be reworked, and I'd like to see some type of Master Quest thing ala OoT3D.

zroid

Banned
Only disappointment is it's not n3DS exclusive. Could've been even better if it had those extra specs to help out. Ah well!

Clefargle

Actually, we know for a fact that OoT3D is indeed an enhanced port and not a full remake. Since we can decrypt 3DS games, we can see the internal files for things like cutscenes are 1:1 with the N64 version. In fact, hidden/incomplete files from the original (the Ocarina Pedestal for example) are still in OoT3D!

This is almost certainly going to be the same, an enhanced port.

What does it matter in the long run? Not a whole lot. The game is going to be very faithful just like OoT3D was (with camera angles and cinematics being essentially 1:1 for better or worse depending on your preference).

Rumor is 60 versus 30 on new versus old, but we have no confirmation yet.

Do you understand that it's pretty much the original game still running underneath this all. Look at something like Halo Anniversary. It's similar to that. They knew not to fuck with the master piece of gaming and are smart for it. They didn't remake the game (ie redo everything from scratch for the 3DS).

I never said OoT3D didn't look better overall compared to OoT, just that it's comparable to something like FFXHD. OoT3D also has moments comparable to screenshot comparison posted earlier, just like how MM3D has areas that look way better, like Link in the beginning jumping up tree stumps in the gif posted earlier as well.

OMG, let's define terms guys....

Port: Conversion of one game from platform A to platform B.

Remake: A port of a game in which the developers have changed or added a significant number of things.

So do you understand the difference? All remakes are ports by default, but not all ports are remakes. For a port to be considered a remake it has to have a significant amount of changes. That could sound arbitrary so I would propose that the longer the game, the more additional content or changes should be made.

Ok, here are some examples:

Port: Duckhunt VC, Xenoblade 3D, Mass Effect 3 Wii U, sonic VC.

Remake: RE: Remake, Windwaker HD, OoT 3D, RE4 PS3

In the case of the ports listed, very little has been done to change the game in any way other than to adapt it for new control schemes or in the case of VC to add suspend points...ect. In the case of the Remakes, almost every game I listed has had significant changes made to more than one aspect of he game. Some have new modes, or entirely new sections of the game. Some have not only updated the assets to be higher quality, but in the case of OoT 3D they have actually redesigned assets and layouts in the environment. MM3D is a remake, just like OoT3D was.

HardRojo

As if I wasn't angry at losing my 3DS earlier this year.
As if I didnt have enough reasons to get a New 3DS XL come next year.
Finally MM on 3DS! Best Zelda game!

Edit: WTF NoA!? Step your game up come on! NoE has been getting all the goodies!

Kallor

Holy !!!!

Who do I thank for this? GOAT!

PLEASE bring that collectors edition to NA!! Lets make it happen gaf!

sphinx

the piano man
Europe-GAF,

any guesses regarding when amazon will be taking preorders for the special edition? that's one thing I really don't want to miss.

Nanashrew

Banned
this is torturing me... i need to feel like all this people again :,( I want to discover THE ZELDA GAME, for the first time, again!! BibleThump

envious.

You can also add me to that list lol. This will be my first time playing Majora's Mask.

levyjl1988

Banned
Nintendo actually listens, holy shit!!! I remember when the forums would be going crazy for a Majora's Mask 3DS version and now here it is, confirmed.

virtualS

Astounding game. Probably the greatest Zelda ever made and one of the finest games of all time... so clever and atmospheric and emotive and consuming and different. FAR better than Ocarina.

I think that the Mask of Truth will have some relevance to the remake. They could have easily just given him Fierce Deity's Mask - we all know about its function and its existence so it would be no surprise - or just give him the Deku Mask, which is what he traditionally holds.

SegaShack

Your second point is only true for the first game. They've never said they lost KH2, ReCoM or BbSs assets. Why exactly doesn't it make sense to have better sounding music in the game? Like I don't get why you're arguing against it. You want improved visuals but not improved sound. It's weird.

I was only talking about the first Kingdom Hearts.

Better is subjective. This was something that was programmed in assembly for the N64 sound chip and has its own unique sound as a result of that. If the music was done with an actual band you would not have the same sound at all. There are many notes which actually aren't possible on instruments.

It would be a completely different thing, not just higher quality audio.

And in fact putting FD Mask on the cover would make it significantly more cool, so we need to consider that there MUST be some motive behind this design choice.

atbigelow

The game looks super rough from the US footage... pretty much the same as the N64 version at parts.

3DS version
ud6aIeV.png

N64 version:
JpD1RV1.png

...that wall texture in the 3DS version would probably take up the entire N64 texture cache. Seriously the texture quality is insanely improved, as well as much higher poly counts. MM on N64 was only running at 240p as well, but did have some AA that helped slightly.

RK128

Welp, now I have to get a 3DS now XD!

I loved playing MM on the Wii via VC, so being able to play a version of my favorite Zelda on the go with improved visuals, stable frame-rate, and usage of the touch screen (which will be awesome for switching masks with :D) is just amazing :).

Hope they make a Majora's Mask 3DS for this game; would love to own that 3DS :').

-MD-

envious.

I owned Majora's Mask when it came out but really hated it compared to OOT, I couldn't get over the 72 hour thing and don't think I made it very far.

I was like 8-10 years old though, I'm 24 now though so I'll play it with different eyes.

Jamix012

The game looks super rough from the US footage... pretty much the same as the N64 version at parts.

3DS version
ud6aIeV.png

N64 version:
JpD1RV1.png

I like how you took an emulated shot of the N64 version and it isn't even close. The 3DS version trumps it handily. Granted, the gap is closer than it was in OoT 3D, but that's only because of the Expansion Pak, I feel.

Top Bottom