• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course not, the thing hasn't been officially announced anywhere apart from japan and australia yet.

Did they mention something about it in the Japanese direct?

Calm down, man.

Why do you keep assuming people are angry or attacking you? I'm just pointing out there's no real evidence to support the assumption of 60fps (at least using marketing as justification), whereas there was plenty of evidence to support MM3D existing.

Tookay

sRcpHNf.gif

Wait, did this come from the trailer or some other part?

wrowa

Hm.

I wonder if they've chosen the Mask of Truth randomly for the cover or if that design decision implies that this particular mask might play a bigger role in the remake. It's kind of a weird choice, since the Mask of Truth isn't really meaningful in the game.

Altazor

So, I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time, but never played Majora's Mask.

OoT became one of my all time favorites.

What am I in for with MM?

it's pretty much a subversion of "sequel using same assets as original game" trope/idea. It's a very different experience. From the time limit, to the dread-filled atmosphere, to the deeply personal storyline, to symbolism... it's something worth playing at least once.

Plus it has the best NPCs and sidequest in a Zelda game (the Anju and Kafei story) so... yeah. It's absolutely worth it.

I'll probably get it. I never played the original release and people are always saying it's the best Zelda

I mean people said the same about OoT too but I wasn't really blown away though I did enjoy it

Rich!

Hm.

I wonder if they've chosen the Mask of Truth randomly for the cover or if that design decision implies that this particular mask might play a bigger role in the remake. It's kind of a weird choice, since the Mask of Truth isn't really meaningful in the game.

theoretically, it could represent that Link is the only one that knows the truth in Termina.

apart from happy mask man, tatl and majora's mask itself of course.

Why on Earth do people think this might have a Master Quest? The narrative and gameplay progression are inextricably linked in Majora's Mask. Pretty much everything you do is heavily context specific. They'd have to completely reinvent the game for a MQ that made any sort of sense. It's not like they can just swap an item here and a key there.

I'd happily take an extra mode that actually made sense though, like boss rush.

aravuus

Never really got into the Zelda games, but I loved Okami and MM is easily the most intriguing one of the lot so despite the insane 3DS game prices in Finland, I think I'll get this when it comes out.

Rich!

Why on Earth do people think this might have a Master Quest? The narrative and gameplay progression are inextricably linked in Majora's Mask. Pretty much everything you do is heavily context specific. They'd have to completely reinvent the game for a MQ that made any sort of sense. It's not like they can just swap an item here and a key there.

Every single Zelda game since OOT 3D (Skyward Sword, Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker HD) has had a "master quest/hero mode" with added damage and in OOT 3D's case, a mirrored world.

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect Majora's Mask to have exactly the same treatment. It wont get redesigned dungeons or anything as the four in MM are ridiculously complex, but it will surely get a hero mode with the extra damage and possibly a mirrored world. That's easy to implement - and it would be the first game in four mainline Zelda titles to not get a hero mode if not.

Rich!

They've changed the way the clock is displayed on the HUD? That looks cool, I'm not bothered about it.

yeah, I guess the old sundial would take up too much real estate...but it doesn't seem like its displayed on that video at all times (not counting the pre-termina scenes). So maybe it's contextual, or you have an option to toggle it on and off?

I would hope that the standard sundial clock is on the bottom screen.

Jamix012

They'd have to rebalance dungeons quite a bit, but it's definitely not completely unfeasable. I imagine stone tower temple would be the hardest.

3bdelilah

Banned
So, I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time, but never played Majora's Mask.

OoT became one of my all time favorites.

What am I in for with MM?

What did you like about OOT and what didn't you like?

Dungeon wise OOT shits all over MM, no doubt about that. But in terms of atmosphere and personal journey I'd say MM is slightly better, though OOT's atmosphere is top-notch as well. But in terms of side quests, those are definitely better in MM as well (due to the three-days mechanic). And I tend to play Zelda mostly for its dungeons and sense of adventure, so MM was unfortunately somewhat lacking for me (dungeon wise). But I did really enjoy its different kind of atmosphere and the side quests. Dungeons were shit, except for the final dungeon (there are just 4). And for reference, OOT is my favourite game of ALL time... like, by far.

In short: play it, there's no bad Zelda game and MM is no exception. Great game.

SegaShack

Honestly, one of my favorite games. While not as good as Ocarina it really is special in its own way. It's one of the strangest, darkest, most atmospheric games I've ever played. So excited that such a cool game is getting remade. Never cared for Wind Waker, but this one is truly a fucking crazy game and I love it.

Nzyme32

As a massive Zelda fan - who HASN'T finished MM, this is awesome, but unfortuanately not enough to make me get a 3DS. But it is motivation enough for me to dig out the N64 and start it again

I love the concept and out surreal and bizarre it is. In particular, I love how disturbing it is as well - from the music to the locations characters and alternate reality for them. Can't believe I have left it for so long

3bdelilah

Banned
Honestly, one of my favorite games. While not as good as Ocarina it really is special in its own way. It's one of the strangest, darkest, most atmospheric games I've ever played. So excited that such a cool game is getting remade. Never cared for Wind Waker, but this one is truly a fucking crazy game and I love it.
I definitely agree. Though the overall experience was less for me than OOT (my all-time favourite) with some flaws, it nonetheless has some aspects I consider better than OOT. Definitely worth a try for those who haven't yet.

You the man!

KarmaCow

The dungeons were pretty isolated, I don't see what is so outlandish about Master Quest style remixing of them. MQ in OoT hardly changed the flow of the entire game, the changes were less extreme than a Super Metroid ROM hack. They can even mix up the pre dungeon puzzles while keeping the story beats the same.

Not that I expect it, maybe a hero mode like in WWHD at best.

Tookay

Yep this came from the trailer.

quickedit:
I mean not sure about the trailer, but it did come from the EU Direct.

edit 2:
thanks Rich, I misspoke

we got more footage on the european direct. as we're special and all.

Thanks.

Hm.

I just think it's the most neutral mask to portray on a cover.

The dungeons were pretty isolated, I don't see what is so outlandish about Master Quest style remixing of them. MQ in OoT hardly changed the flow of the entire game, the changes were less extreme than a Super Metroid ROM hack. They can even mix up the pre dungeon puzzles while keeping the story beats the same.

Not that I expect it, maybe a hero mode like in WWHD at best.

MQ in OoT was also something that was pre-existing (from the 64 DD stuff). MM never had a remix of dungeons planned and I doubt they'd want to waste creative manpower on those over a new Zelda.

Grizzo

yeah, I guess the old sundial would take up too much real estate...but it doesn't seem like its displayed on that video at all times (not counting the pre-termina scenes). So maybe it's contextual, or you have an option to toggle it on and off?

I would hope that the standard sundial clock is on the bottom screen.

An option to switch between displays would be a great idea!

TriGen

Herne

But I realize the cost/limitations involved, so I'll take this.

What'd be the cost or limitations of bringing over Ocarina of Time 3D to the Wii U? Because dammit I want it there, and I'm sure Nintendo knows people would double dip (or triple, quadruple, quintruple or whatever else considering how many times Ocarina has been re-released).

Even though I'm looking forward to this, the fact that we all saw it coming killed part of the hype for me. Nintendo is at their best when they surprise the fuck out of us.

Neiteio

Wait, did this come from the trailer or some other part?
That footage was in the U.S. Direct, as well. It's shown when Iwata is talking about the game after the trailer is shown. You can see for yourself by watching the Direct on Nintendo's channel at YouTube (which is what I just did).

KarmaCow

MQ in OoT was also something that was pre-existing (from the 64 DD stuff). MM never had a remix of dungeons planned and I doubt they'd want to waste creative manpower on those over a new Zelda.

Which is why I don't expect it, I was responding to someone who thinks it is fundamentally incompatible with the progression in MM.

Tookay

What'd be the cost or limitations of bringing over Ocarina of Time 3D to the Wii U? Because dammit I want it there, and I'm sure Nintendo knows people would double dip (or triple, quadruple, quintruple or whatever else considering how many times Ocarina has been re-released).

Well, sure, they could port it. There isn't a cost issue there.

I thought you were saying they just exclusively remake these games in HD-quality assets for the Wii U. That's more of a question of cost.

But I don't think they'd be happy with the quality of the 3DS' assets on an HD port either. Not to mention, I think they're still trying to create incentives for you to buy their separate systems, so some games are obviously going to stay on one system.

Rich!

Which is why I don't expect it, I was responding to someone who thinks it is fundamentally incompatible with the progression in MM.

Thats not the real issue with redesigning the dungeons - its the fact that the four dungeons are ridiculously complex. I can see absolutely no way they could redesign Snowhead, Great Bay or Stone Tower without literally ripping out everything and starting from scratch.

Jamix012

I was kind of hoping they make an N64 Value Pack with the N64 games they brought to 3DS.

OoT 3D
MM 3D
Starfox 64 3D
Mario 64 DS (with redone textures and modesl and actual analogue control)

All 1080p/60fps
Would be the best deal in gaming.

Neiteio

We need high-res box art NOW, as well as confirmation from NOA that they won't fuck it up by making it gold or something.

bgbball31

I played this as a kid and just could never get into it, but later in life I got on the gaming side of the internet and started to hear the error of my ways. Unfortunately, I had gotten rid of by then and never got around to buying it.

Therefore, this has my full hype.

Top Bottom