• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
OoT3D was the same. They aren't remakes.

I felt OOT3D looked a lot better though. Maybe the footage for MM just wasn't of the good parts or something. I guess in the 3DS version of the pic I showed, the grass sign is clearly present in the 3DS version, but the NPCs look pretty much the same... Also that piece of footage with Link flipping in the European version looks nice.

GWX

Game already gave me a gorgeous new wallpaper. Can't wait for this, thanks Nintendo.

screenshot2014-11-05awerrx.png

Rich!

I think they're technically remakes since they were created from scratch. Or I'm completely wrong.

They arent. Same code at its core. All the glitches in N64 OOT still work in OOT3D, such as duplicating items and bottles, even including the really really obscure glitches.

Tookay

I felt OOT3D looked a lot better though. Maybe the footage for MM just wasn't of the good parts or something. I guess in the 3DS version of the pic I showed, the grass sign is clearly present in the 3DS version, but the NPCs look pretty much the same... Also that piece of footage with Link flipping in the European version looks nice.

I think they just chose really mediocre scenes to present... which is something Nintendo does quite often. In general, they have some poorly-cut trailers.

The European clips were a lot better looking.

Neiteio

The game looks super rough from the US footage... pretty much the same as the N64 version at parts.

3DS version
ud6aIeV.png

N64 version:
JpD1RV1.png
3DS games generally don't look too hot in blown-up stills. There's clear evidence of drastically updated textures, improved lighting and other effects all throughout the trailer. Heck, even in that blown-up pic you posted, you can see the books on the shelves now have detailed spines instead of being one flat color.

The game looks fantastic. And I loved playing OoT in 3D, which looks leaps and bounds better than the alternative. I'm sure this will be no different. :)

gngf123

Just remember: a number of 3DS games gain AA when played in 2D mode. Ocarina of Time 3D was one of those games, so I expect this one will be as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not confirmed but they said to come back tomorrow on Twitter regarding a question about when to pre-order. I'd hazard a guess and say it'll be GAME and Nintendo UK Store exclusive in the UK and available at the same shops Bayonetta 2 First Print edition was available across Europe.

Link
I see, thanks for the info. I hope at least that the quality of the box is better than the Link Between Worlds box was.

Scott667

http://i.imgur.com/sRcpHNf.gif

While I'm super excited for MM3D (The original is one of my favourite games) I really hope that they have an option to change the new timer UI (they probably aren't going to though).

While the sundial may have been impractical for a small screen, using a digital clock interface really doesn't sell the "fantasy" setting :/

The image quality actually looks even worse when you factor in that the N64 one had anti aliasing

No it didn't. If you played on virtual console the game was in 480p versus the original's 240p, but the original never had AA. It looks like this particular shot was actually captured on a PC emulator, so comparing it to shots directly from the 3DS is a little silly, unless you're doing it just for texture clarity.

javac

Man I have to say the box-art is nice. Too bad the Special Edition will have a massive USK logo obscuring haft the damn thing.

Theyre probably still in the process of cleaning eveything up right now, wouldnt take its current look as the final. I remember a few months before OoT3D GAF was arguing over the fence textures being the same as the N64 version but when the game released it was completely different.

Tookay

http://i.imgur.com/sRcpHNf.gif

While I'm super excited for MM3D (The original is one of my favourite games) I really hope that they have an option to change the new timer UI (they probably aren't going to though).

While the sundial may have been impractical for a small screen, using a digital clock interface really doesn't sell the "fantasy" setting :/

I dunno. They've been more receptive lately when it comes to UI feedback.

KooopaKid

Banned
The box art looks incredible. Finally, Majora's Mask will be playable again. Smooth 30 fps in 3D. The N64 version didn't age well.

Branduil

No it didn't. If you played on virtual console the game was in 480p versus the original's 240p, but the original never had AA. It looks like this particular shot was actually captured on a PC emulator, so comparing it to shots directly from the 3DS is a little silly, unless you're doing it just for texture clarity.

OoT on N64 did have anti-aliasing, but only a very crude form of edge anti-aliasing. OoT 3D, on the other hand, has a higher base resolution(400x240 vs 320x240), far better framerate, and 2x supersampling when played in 2D mode.

You are straight wrong

Actually, we know for a fact that OoT3D is indeed an enhanced port and not a full remake. Since we can decrypt 3DS games, we can see the internal files for things like cutscenes are 1:1 with the N64 version. In fact, hidden/incomplete files from the original (the Ocarina Pedestal for example) are still in OoT3D!

This is almost certainly going to be the same, an enhanced port.

What does it matter in the long run? Not a whole lot. The game is going to be very faithful just like OoT3D was (with camera angles and cinematics being essentially 1:1 for better or worse depending on your preference).

Does playing this on the new 3DS give any benefits.

Rumor is 60 versus 30 on new versus old, but we have no confirmation yet.

uberluigi

Banned
Europe gets collectors edition and America gets nothing again :( oh well at least I can finally play Majoras Mask again, last time I played it I was 12.

Hagi

Having only played and loved Ocarina should i expect greatness from this? its like the only Zelda i haven't experienced

totally getting the collectors for the pin

SegaShack

You are straight wrong

zelda02.gif

zelda01k.gif

Do you understand that it's pretty much the original game still running underneath this all. Look at something like Halo Anniversary. It's similar to that. They knew not to fuck with the master piece of gaming and are smart for it. They didn't remake the game (ie redo everything from scratch for the 3DS).

Having only played and loved Ocarina should i expect greatness from this? its like the only Zelda i haven't experienced

There are going to be hardcore Majora's fans who'll tell you it's the greatest... I'd say you temper your expectations a bit just like you would for any hardcore fan... a LOT of people didn't like MM or at least didn't like it as much due to the time mechanics at the very least.

KarmaCow

You are straight wrong

I never said OoT3D didn't look better overall compared to OoT, just that it's comparable to something like FFXHD. OoT3D also has moments comparable to screenshot comparison posted earlier, just like how MM3D has areas that look way better, like Link in the beginning jumping up tree stumps in the gif posted earlier as well.

SegaShack

Expect something different, but great in its own ways. You won't have as many dungeons or areas, but the areas and dungeons that are in the game are all expertly well themed and much more challenging than Ocarina of Time. Difficulty is much higher in Majora's Mask than OOT and you are also time constrained.

The NPCs in the game are also very fleshed out and you get to know them well. It's much different than Ocarina.

Play it. It sounds weird to deviate from the formula from one of the greatest games of all time, but it really works in its own way IMO. Don't go in expecting Ocarina of Time 2, instead expect Link's Nightmare from hell.

No way. The music is great, don't change it. Should re-releases of Super Mario Bros be orchestrated as well? There are no problems with the music in Majora and it would lose something for me if they changed it.
that's an terrible example. And Super Mario All-Stars DID have updated music

Koji Kondo's music is great but was held back by poor hardware. That limitation is gone. To update everything but the music is nonsensical.

wildfire

Banned
So this is what the rumor was referring to? Majora's Mask is great but I did wish Nintendo wouldn't dip back into the Zelda pool so soon.

Have they said if they've added anything new content wise? Like a new dungeon or side quests? Or will it be like OoT3D and WWHD and be pretty much exactly the same game?

I guess it's a little too soon to be revealing that since they just announced it.

I hope they actually remix the music this time.

Top Bottom