• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Now watch NoA completely ruin that amazing box art like they've been doing to all other Zelda boxes.

dVJjTIF.jpg

BUT IT'S TRADITION TO HAVE IT AS GOLD JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL GAME DON'T YOU GET THAT?????

Koji Kondo's music is great but was held back by poor hardware. That limitation is gone. To update everything but the music is nonsensical.

The only thing really being updated is models and textures. Level design, story, etc is going to be mostly, if not entirely, untouched as well.

Grief.exe

So this is what the rumor was referring to? Majora's Mask is great but I did wish Nintendo wouldn't dip back into the Zelda pool so soon.

I'd imagine Nintendo was just waiting for a relatively slow 3DS release schedule for this one.
Both 2013 and 2014 were packed to the brim, 2015 looks slower.

Anth0ny

No way. The music is great, don't change it. Should re-releases of Super Mario Bros be orchestrated as well? There are no problems with the music in Majora and it would lose something for me if they changed it.

The correct answer is both :)

I loved how Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver had the original, Gameboy soundtrack available as an unlockable. An updated soundtrack (orchestrated) with the ability to play the original, N64 soundtrack as well would have been ideal.

SegaShack

that's an terrible example. And Super Mario All-Stars DID have updated music

Koji Kondo's music is great but was held back by poor hardware. That limitation is gone. To update everything but the music is nonsensical.

I completely disagree. Should Link To The Past on GBA also have different music than SNES? Plenty of people love the music for older games and really hardware restriction is a moot point. Something is a product of its time and if people already love it, why change it?

A melody is a melody.

Only someone like George Lucas would want to do that.

I remember reading that was buggy and deleted ur saves n shit

I played through the game in it's entirety using it... Never had a deleted save, and the only bugs I got were with the pause menu taking a second or two to load (a common emulator problem that even emulators of the time on PC had).

Shion

So, I've played and beaten Ocarina of Time, but never played Majora's Mask.

OoT became one of my all time favorites.

What am I in for with MM?
You're in for a weird, relatively dark, atmospheric, artistic and highly memorable game.

It's weaker than Ocarina, gameplay-wise, but it excels at things that modern Zelda games don't. Majora's Mask takes place in a lively, breathing world, it's filled with memorable NPCs, and does a great job in world-building and character development.

It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like it you'll probably love it.

That would be super lame if that's the case.

Why would it be lame? It's the same thing as with OoT3D... something I saw (almost) no one complain about that game. Why would people complain about that in an updated version of a game? I thought the whole point of the updated games was to maintain the core while enhancing the exterior. Applying polish to a great but aged game, versus altering it so it's not the same. At that point you may as well just ask for a whole new game instead.

I completely disagree. Should Link To The Past on GBA also have different music than SNES? Plenty of people love the music for older games and really hardware restriction is a moot point. Something is a product of its time and if people already love it, why change it?

A melody is a melody.

Only someone like George Lucas would want to do that.
If they like the old games so much Maybe they should play the older games then. This is a new version of the game, if they want to call it a remake, they should remake the music.

Square Enix went out of their way to remix all of the KH games' music and those games are now better for it.

amnesiac

People saying the graphics look the same as N64 are blind. The same was said for OOT3D as well so, alas.

Looks so good.

I think a big thing is that OOT was a much lighter and brighter game and it was easier to tell the difference. They (thankfully) preserved the dark tone of Majora's Mask and therefore it isn't as big of a leap as OOT was, but it's still substantial.

McNum

Huh, just noticed something.

In the direct, as Iwata is talking about making sure the game plays as smoothly as possible, Link is seen playing the Song of Time. What happens next is... interesting.
Majora's Mask 3D said:
Return to the Dawn of the First Day?
Why is that interesting? I mean that's what the Song of Time does in the original, no?

Well, actually...
The Original Majora's Mask said:
Save and return to the Dawn of the First Day?
Something's missing. Something noteworthy is missing. Something highlighted in red. And it's the most hype moment of the entire Majora's Mask 3D reveal to me.

Looks like playing the Song of Time may NOT be how to save the game this time.

Haldinian

That boxart is great.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the graphical upgrade is minimal... but well, it's Majora's Mask, one of the greatest if not the best Zelda (my personal favourite), in portable format with a decent frame rate and 3D, so I'll get it.

hatchx

Banned
This is great news and a definite day 1 for me. Loved the OOT remake....

....but I can't help but think about last e3. Would it have KILLED them to announce it there just to satiate us? Just to end the 'where are all the 3DS games' discussions we've had for months?

KarmaCow

I hate time-limit in any game but I love the series.. I don't know.

The time limit is really lax once you have a certain song. The 3 day limit is more about the way NPCs follow routines than an actual pressure to move faster. Every story beat is essentially a checkpoint where you can revert time and basically continue where you left off.

Mael

OoT3D had a boss rush mode added as well as Master Quest hidding inside as well.
I'm pretty sure that the only other way to play Master Quest in the west is through the bonus disc they gave with Wind Waker.
So yeah they added lots of stuffs in OoT 3D.

Doing a MQ version of MM would absolutely be pointless considering the whole point of the game is really not the dungeons.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
About time... 2015 is shaping up to be quite the year for gaming, after a slow last few years.

This is great news and a definite day 1 for me. Loved the OOT remake....

....but I can't help but think about last e3. Would it have KILLED them to announce it there just to satiate us? Just to end the 'where are all the 3DS games' discussions we've had for months?

Why? I actually like that they left this as a surprise. Now it's not nearly a year away upon reveal, but only a few months.

Why would it be lame? It's the same thing as with OoT3D... something I saw (almost) no one complain about that game. Why would people complain about that in an updated version of a game? I thought the whole point of the updated games was to maintain the core while enhancing the exterior. Applying polish to a great but aged game, versus altering it so it's not the same. At that point you may as well just ask for a whole new game instead.
Ive complained about OoT3D all of the time actually since it was released. I thought the point of a remake was to remake the game and be better than the original while also putting a new spin on it. Not be pretty nuch the same.

Firered/ Leafgreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Zero Mission, REmake would all be pretty lame if they were just OuT caliber remakes.

Wow that was out of nowhere.

It's recently been a good time to be a non-Zelda fan that wants to get into Zelda. Remakes, remakes everywhere!

Volotaire

OoT3D had a boss rush mode added as well as Master Quest hidding inside as well.
I'm pretty sure that the only other way to play Master Quest in the west is through the bonus disc they gave with Wind Waker.
So yeah they added lots of stuffs in OoT 3D.

Doing a MQ version of MM would absolutely be pointless considering the whole point of the game is really not the dungeons.

MQ was already created before OoT and the Wind Waker bonus disc. Since they mixed all the dungeon rooms (essentially new dungeons except the key puzzle to each dungeon), they would not undertake a Master Quest approach. At the most, I expect a 'Hero mode' take double damage mode. OoT MQ 3D was also mirrored and double damage in addition to normal MQ.

If they like the old games so much Maybe they should play the older games then. This is a new version of the game, if they want to call it a remake, they should remake the music.

Square Enix went out of their way to remix all of the KH games' music and those games are now better for it.
exactly.

There is some crazy hypocrisy in being fine with changing pixels or geometry but sound or music is sacrilegious? Hardcore nostalgia glasses

Rich!

In the direct, as Iwata is talking about making sure the game plays as smoothly as possible, Link is seen playing the Song of Time. What happens next is... interesting.

Why is that interesting? I mean that's what the Song of Time does in the original, no?

Well, actually...

Something's missing. Something noteworthy is missing. Something highlighted in red. And it's the most hype moment of the entire Majora's Mask 3D reveal to me.

Oh shit...I hope they haven't changed it

...but I did predict this happening a year ago:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91194377

Ive complained about OoT3D all of the time actually since it was released. I thought the point of a remake was to remake the game and be better than the original while also putting a new spin on it. Not be pretty nuch the same.

Firered/ Leafgreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Zero Mission, REmake would all be pretty lame if they were just OuT caliber remakes.

Opinions and all that. I'm not against a musical remake... but I don't particularly care. As for gameplay/story/etc? That shit needs to be left alone. Game was great as is, and I'm glad Nintendo is aware of that. Remakes can ruin a great game if they take too many liberties.

And as I said before earlier, this is not a remake. This is an enhanced port. Just like OoT 3D. This is the equivalent of GTA5 coming to PC a year late, it's getting some extra polish and maybe a few extra tweaks... but it's still essentially the same game. For it being 15 years later, the hardware on the 3DS is only about a generation a head of the N64.

Anth0ny

Well, actually...

Hmm. I get the feeling they're going to change how the save system works.

I'd be okay if there was a "New" mode that lets
whiners
you save anywhere, and an "Original" mode that plays just like it does on N64.

Komo

Banned
Aha, finally. This is the one I've been waiting for. Ocarina of Time never interested me, but Majora's Mask looks badass. Can't wait to finally try it!

NeonZ

People saying the graphics look the same as N64 are blind. The same was said for OOT3D as well so, alas.

The main issue is that they seem to keep basically all animation skeletons intact. So, although the models are better, in some ways they're still limited by the original N64 hardware, like lack of separate fingers for most characters and some pretty odd facial animation for quite a few npcs here in Majora.

That boxart is way too good

Only change I would make is maybe make moon smaller and Skull Kid+Clock Tower a ittle bigger

But hnnnnnnngggg

That boxart is way too good

Only change I would make is maybe make moon smaller and Skull Kid+Clock Tower a ittle bigger

But hnnnnnnngggg

I think it's perfect the way it is. The entire time you play the moon looms over you, it's only fitting that it would on the boxart as well.

Top Bottom