• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

wrowa

Now that we've got a better look on it, I've got to admit that I don't like the cover artwork very much. I don't think the style the characters are drawn nail the feeling of Majora's Mask...

Seik

Banned
HOLY SHIT

I -need- a poster of this

I will frame it and display it with PRIDE

Seriously, just saved both and I will definitely make a poster with those if Nintendo doesn't make official ones via Club Nintendo.

...Maybe even before because hype.

Rich!

You know what the best thing about this is?

In a few years time or whenever the 3DS emulation scene is at a decent level, we can play these definitive versions of oot and mm in HD.

It will be amazing.

Opinions and all that. I'm not against a musical remake... but I don't particularly care. As for gameplay/story/etc? That shit needs to be left alone. Game was great as is, and I'm glad Nintendo is aware of that. Remakes can ruin a great game if they take too many liberties.

And as I said before earlier, this is not a remake. This is an enhanced port. Just like OoT 3D. This is the equivalent of GTA5 coming to PC a year late, it's getting some extra polish and maybe a few extra tweaks... but it's still essentially the same game. For it being 15 years later, the hardware on the 3DS is only about a generation a head of the N64.
I haven't played many remakes that are outright worse for adding new content. What are you referencing?

Okay, well for an enhanced port its solid. But Nintendo considers it a remake and its not that great of one.

They vastly improved the framerate, they improved the graphics (in some places by a rather large amount), they made the super annoying dungeon far less annoying, added quick touchscreen equipment changes (*really* helps in some places), and added the Master Quest. The gameplay holds up after all these years, so unlike Metroid: Zero Mission didn't need updating to feel like a modern, good game. So I think the Ocarina of Time 3D port was perfect.
Okay and? They neglected the visuals in other places like npc models and some of the environmental textures. They changed the iron boots from equipment to an item, so? They changed the menu ui, cool. Master Quest was already something that was made. They could have added more things like improved music, Gold Skulltula and Poe log, better rewards, more side quests, dungeons, etc. But if you think it's just a port, then I guess all of the things you mentioned are satisfactory. But on the other hand Nintendo considers it a remake and compared to other remakes published by them, it is lacking.

Tookay

Okay.

LoZMM_Nov052014_A17.jpg

This is new too. I think.

Yrael

Now that Majora's Mask 3D is coming out, it'll be possible to play Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: Adventure of Link, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Link Between Worlds all on the one portable system.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Now that Majora's Mask 3D is coming out, it'll be possible to play Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: Adventure of Link, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening DX, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Link Between Worlds all on the one portable system.
dat exclusivevity

Shaanyboi

Banned
I never played this. I never quite understood how the three day system worked. Might jump in for the first time when it comes out.

-There are three days in the game for you to run around in, do what you have to do

-Either at the end of the three day cycle or whenever you need to, you can reset the time back to the dawn of the first day

-You'll still have your items (bow, hookshot, shields etc), masks, heart pieces, and key quest items (dungeon rewards, songs etc.) but all quest/dungeon progress will be reset

-Resetting time doesn't mean you haven't made progress. If you've completed a quest and gotten a reward, you'll still have that reward.

-the key is prioritizing what you want to accomplish each cycle. This could be "I'm going to focus on finishing this one sidequest line," or "I'm going to make my way up to the dungeon until I find the warp point, reset time, and then spend the next three day cycle entirely on that dungeon".

amnesiac

Link To The Past was released on 3DS?

Neiteio

I never played this. I never quite understood how the three day system worked. Might jump in for the first time when it comes out.
The three-day system is simple.

You have 72 hours, or three days. You can relive those 72 hours as many times as it takes to beat the game. If I recall correctly, one hour in-game is about one minute in real life. However, time pauses when characters are talking or when you pause the game. Also, you can play the Song of Time backwards to give yourself twice as much time, something you're taught by the scarecrow in West Clock Town. So you'd have at least 2.4 real-life hours to complete a dungeon. And since there's a warp point at the start of each dungeon, and the warp points stay active even when you travel back in time, you can simply start a new 72-hour cycle and then warp straight to the dungeon when attempting to complete one.

When you go back in time by playing the Song of Time, you lose all of your disposable items -- arrows, bombs, etc. You can save your rupees by putting them in the bank in West Clock Town. You keep all of your key items when traveling back in time, like dungeon items and masks. All events then reset, including sidequests and progress on dungeons. This is actually great since you can replay every sidequest and dungeon to your heart's content. After beating a boss, there'll even be a portal at the start of the dungeon that'll take you straight to the boss, so you can fight them again and again.

Different events happen at different times, whether you're there to witness them or not. An old lady might be mugged by a robber in North Clock Town around the same time aliens try to abduct cows from Romani Ranch. You can change the outcome by intervening, opening up new chains of events. You keep track of it all in your Bomber's Notebook, which will work especially well on the 3DS touchscreen. The touchscreen should also be great for freely swapping in and out the 24 different masks you collect.

Also, to permanently save your game, you have to travel back in time using the Song of Time. However, you can make temporary suspend saves by using Owl Statues, which were added in the English version of the game. So for example, say I'm about to head into a dungeon but feel like playing after dinner. I can save at the owl statue and turn off the game, and when I turn it back on, I'll be at that owl statue. However, if I turn off the game again, without using the owl statue again, next time I play I'll be back at the first day from the last time I time-traveled. In other words, to permanently save, you'll need to time-travel.

It's all quite doable, and the time system is wonderful since it brings the characters and world to life with dynamic events that are happening all over the place at all times. You can literally follow some NPCs as they crisscross all four sections of Clock Town, going about their daily business. It's refreshing to see how many NPCs don't simply stay in one place the whole time.

Wonderful, WONDERFUL game. :-D

rjc571

Banned
Not sure where the speculation for 60FPS on the new 3DS is coming from outside of misunderstanding the 60FPS feature on YouTube. You really think they'll time the animations twice depending on whether it's being played on an old vs new 3DS? That's just silly.

Some of the footage in the trailer is running at 60 fps.

Square did this for two reasons. 1) The game used the PS2's tone generator to make music. 2) The original assets were gone. It made sense for them to redo the music.
Your second point is only true for the first game. They've never said they lost KH2, ReCoM or BbSs assets. Why exactly doesn't it make sense to have better sounding music in the game? Like I don't get why you're arguing against it. You want improved visuals but not improved sound. It's weird.

K' Dash

In my humble opinion, this game runs circles around OoT, I get the hate of all mi gamer friends, they need to open their eyes to the truth!

How has Fierce Deity Link not been in anything really since MM? He's not even in Hyrule Warriors yet? Everything is in that game! :\

televator

My only complaint is that this effectively means that this game is in 240p. I was hoping this would be in HD. Here's hoping for some good 3DS emulation.

3DS becoming one of the best console of all time and it's still sitting in my Amazon cart...

This thing will bring me so much joy, but will fight it and wait for New3DS to ship over here.

Rich!

Hey guys

Imagine gliding through the water and over the waves as a zora in the ocean of Great Bay at a locked silky smooth framerate and full 3D.

Its happening. EU direct showed some footage of zora link and it was amazing

Top Bottom