• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

You can always try again. And it's not a time limit, so much as a "structure." What I mean is, you can relive those three days an infinite number of times. And you can reset them at any time. And you can slow them down so they last twice as long each cycle, giving you two real-life hours to accomplish something, whether it's activating a warp point, or acquiring a new item, or learning a new song. All of that is retained when you reset time.

So it really just comes down to choosing what you want to accomplish each cycle. When I played, I'd explore a new area until I reached the warp point at the entrance to the next dungeon. Then I would reset time. Now back at Day One, I'd slow down time, and warp to the entrance of the dungeon I found last time. I would then have a full two hours in real life to complete that dungeon. And time stops passing when you pause the game or talk to someone, so there's really no pressure.

If two hours isn't enough to beat the dungeon, it's probably enough time to reach the dungeon item. And that item is kept when you go back in time. So if you have to reattempt the dungeon, the dungeon item will let you bypass the first half. Meaning you now have two real-life hours to do the -second half- of the dungeon.

In other words, there's plenty of time, and no real fail state. A lot of the "pressure" in this game is imagined by people who don't quite understand how it works. But I'm confident that if someone keeps at it, they'll learn the system quickly enough. :)

Thank you very much for the lengthy reply. I understand it better now.

I've gotta' finish it by early Feb. and get a review up for embargo's end. I remember loving it years ago, but just never bought it for some reason.

Rich!

Hmm.
Shame that nintendo typically puts big barriers on what they're allowed to talk about. I doubt a confirmation of any changes involved in a master quest mode is something they'd let a random journalist announce early.

Yeah, its odd how strict they are despite giving out their games a month in advance

Neiteio

Hmm.
Shame that nintendo typically puts big barriers on what they're allowed to talk about. I doubt a confirmation of any changes involved in a master quest mode is something they'd let a random journalist announce early.
If there was a Master Quest mode, I think they would talk about it before the game comes out. It's a selling point, and remakes of games people already played always need selling points. They were upfront about the the Master Quest in OoT3D and the Hero Mode in TWWHD.

Yeah, its odd how strict they are despite giving out their games a month in advance

If there was a Master Quest mode, I think they would talk about it before the game comes out. It's a selling point, and remakes of games people already played always need selling points. They were upfront about the the Master Quest in OoT3D and the Hero Mode in TWWHD.

Oh, I know. I expect to hear about it properly as part of the nintendo hype machine, but I want to know now durnit. I mean, I'll probably still be buying the game either way, but I'd like to know if they went all in on master questing it or if it's just the flip map/double damage shenanigans (in which case, I don't care).

Neiteio

Oh, I know. I expect to hear about it properly as part of the nintendo hype machine, but I want to know now durnit. I mean, I'll probably still be buying the game either way, but I'd like to know if they went all in on master questing it or if it's just the flip map/double damage shenanigans (in which case, I don't care).
Honestly, I'm not expecting a proper remix mode. If anything, maybe they'll just have a "hard" mode where enemies do more damage, Link does less, hearts are a rarity, etc. Maybe they could mirror the world (although location names like "WEST Clock Town," "EAST Clock Town," etc., may prevent that).

You can always try again. And it's not a time limit, so much as a "structure." What I mean is, you can relive those three days an infinite number of times. And you can reset them at any time. And you can slow them down so they last twice as long each cycle, giving you two real-life hours to accomplish something, whether it's activating a warp point, or acquiring a new item, or learning a new song. All of that is retained when you reset time.

So it really just comes down to choosing what you want to accomplish each cycle. When I played, I'd explore a new area until I reached the warp point at the entrance to the next dungeon. Then I would reset time. Now back at Day One, I'd slow down time, and warp to the entrance of the dungeon I found last time. I would then have a full two hours in real life to complete that dungeon. And time stops passing when you pause the game or talk to someone, so there's really no pressure.

If two hours isn't enough to beat the dungeon, it's probably enough time to reach the dungeon item. And that item is kept when you go back in time. So if you have to reattempt the dungeon, the dungeon item will let you bypass the first half. Meaning you now have two real-life hours to do the -second half- of the dungeon.

In other words, there's plenty of time, and no real fail state. A lot of the "pressure" in this game is imagined by people who don't quite understand how it works. But I'm confident that if someone keeps at it, they'll learn the system quickly enough. :)

Thank you for this reply.

I never played MM but I've always been interested in it. However, the three day limit was something I never understood, which always made me apprehensive about playing the game. Even with this being announced, I still wasn't totally sure how it worked but your reply explained it perfectly.

I might give it a shot after all.

Honestly, I'm not expecting a proper remix mode. If anything, maybe they'll just have a "hard" mode where enemies do more damage, Link does less, hearts are a rarity, etc. Maybe they could mirror the world (although location names like "WEST Clock Town," "EAST Clock Town," etc., may prevent that).

I know, but I keep rationlising it in my own head that it can't have taken them this long to do a remake of a game with no new major additions.

Even with only 40ish employees, they've only publically worked on flower town since 2011 (When OoT and Four swords anniversary launched), and Nintendo let them add enough content to four swords to nearly double the length of the game, so there's a prescedent for Grezzo creating significant new stuff there.

If they started relatively soon after 4 Swords, then they've had ~3.5 years between releases! And that just for a remake + minor boss fight changes+ fishing ponds screams fishy to me. Probably setting myself up for a fall, but yeah.

balgajo

Nintendo should really clarify this through marketing this time. I only played Majora's Mask in 2005 because I aways thought that we had a 3 in-game-days to finish the game and I don't like this kind of pressure. I got nervous just by seeing that interface clock moving.

Kinda wish they would update OOT with the free roam camera.
I wish they started going platform agnostic for these "retro updates".

I mean, even if there was a N64 virtual console on the Wii U now you'd have to be mad to buy OoT or MM, or Starfox... or Mario 64. I wish next gen they just update and offer them both for portables and home consoles, upgraded and running with as many pixels as it can push.

They have to start to take the time to make updates made to old software to be the new gold standard they offer elsewhere and forever after. Fragmentation annoys me, just how those extra GBA-port levels are forever lost in Yoshi Island despite the superior version being the SNES one. They should treat every release as the ultimate one for that platform and in regards to past releases by at least merging down improvements and the like.

Kinda like, merging improvements down to a common easily portable environment. They probably cleaned out the source code enough just so a up-port is a walk in the park now.

Virtual Console would be worth so much more if it had some games like that on it.

JP

Really can't decide whether I want to get this or not. Played a couple of hours of the original in a friends house and I just couldn't get into the format when I tried it as I'd not long finished Ocarina of Time so it was a real disappointment for me. I know a lot of people love it and I'm sort of wanting to try it again as I didn't give it a lot of time.

Really can't decide whether I want to get this or not. Played a couple of hours of the original in a friends house and I just couldn't get into the format when I tried it as I'd not long finished Ocarina of Time so it was a real disappointment for me. I know a lot of people love it and I'm sort of wanting to try it again as I didn't give it a lot of time.
If you're a fan of videogames in general you should really give it another try.

Majora Mask is not a light game, certainly not as light as Ocarina of Time, it might even require a special mindset, but it's certainly worth it. It's not considered a masterpiece for anything.

It hits you hard, but it stays with you.

Nintendo should really clarify this through marketing this time. I only played Majora's Mask in 2005 because I aways thought that we had a 3 in-game-days to finish the game and I don't like this kind of pressure. I got nervous just by seeing that interface clock moving.
I know. That didn't happen to me with Majora Mask, because hey, it's Zelda.

But it did happen with Pikmin 1, the 30 day limit was daunting, I kept giving up on the game because I didn't know which pacing I had to go at. If I was doing it right (and what next if I didn't)

Shiggy

What the hell? How long has Nintendo been sitting on this title?

majorasmaskw3ujr.png

The German USK rated it in March 2014, meaning they had a fully functional and finishable built of the game.

Top Bottom