• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask teased in new official Nintendo artwork

Tadaima

Following Yoshi's New Island and Super Mario 3D World-themed summer wallpapers released last week, Nintendo has today released a new piece of Zelda artwork featuring Link sporting a yukata, fan, and – most importantly – Majora's Mask.

ibhAeBGuHh92vn.png

This artwork celebrates the Japanese Hanabi festival, and was sent to Club Nintendo members this evening. Mine just arrived in my inbox.

As far as I know, this is the first piece of Nintendo-produced artwork to feature Majora's Mask since the game itself (discounting in-game appearances in Smash Bros. and ALBW), and could perhaps be the most conclusive piece of nonverbal evidence we have that points towards Nintendo working on a remake since the mask's inclusion in ALBW.

You can download the wallpaper from here (JP Club Nintendo account required): http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wallpaper/20140806/index.html

Edit: rehosted for non-JP Club Nintendo members: http://minus.com/mnvXDHMHb30Re

Abriael

Banned
I'd suggest keeping expectations at bay. The mask is simply a traditional part of temple summer festivals in Japan, so it may very well have been included just for that reason.

How is Majora's Mask GAF?

I played Wind Waker for the first time on the WiiU, and I loved Twilight Princess when it came out.. but I tried Skyward Sword recently and just didn't like it.

Should I be hyped if it does happen?

Rich!

oh fuck

link puts on majora's mask

majora's mask 2 bitches, only this time you're trying to stop Link

I played Wind Waker for the first time on the WiiU, and I loved Twilight Princess when it came out.. but I tried Skyward Sword recently and just didn't like it.

greatest zelda ever made

imo

riceandpea

Neo Member
I'm inclined to think that this is nothing at all, but hey - it's nice that Nintendo remembers.

To anyone who asks, Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game. That's objectively true, I'm certain of it.

I'd suggest keeping expectations at bay. The mask is simply a traditional part of temple summer festivals in Japan, so it may very well have been included just for that reason.
Where's the fun in being reasonable? Isn't it much more exciting to read into it way too much until where we get to a point where someone sees it as a tease for a Majora's Mask remake as the launch game for a Majora's Mask-shaped VR visor, which gets bafflingly gets picked up by the gaming press?

Looks like Twilight Princess art, which happens to be my second favourite Zelda art direction.

Anyway, I'm sure it doesn't mean anything, but then I do still believe we're getting a Majora's Mask remake for 3DS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Every month, Nintendo. This is why I'm putting off playing the VC version. I've never played Majora's Mask but the constant teasing about an updated version makes me keep delaying :/

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume that maybe majora's mask has something to do with the new Wii U Zelda game?

It just seems more likely to me than a remake for the 3DS.

One of the best games of all time and easily the best Zelda.

Tadaima

The timing of the inclusion is interesting, seeing as it comes after a series of teases and suggestions from developers that they're working on something related to Majora's Mask.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should have been the Keaton Mask mask since they even joke that it has hints of Pikachu and masks of popular characters are the kind of things you see at these festivals.

So yes... using Majora's Mask instead of the more appropriate mask is a sure sign that
Aonuma is just having a laugh.

LowParry

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume that maybe majora's mask has something to do with the new Wii U Zelda game?

It just seems more likely to me than a remake for the 3DS.

The limb is, no one should be assuming that this means anything. At all. Don't do this to yourself.

Rich!

Someone at Nintendo remembers Majora's Mask CONFIRMED.

WOOT. I guess.

as if that was ever in question. Over the past two years or so:

1. Happy Mask Man's bag is in his shop in OOT 3D
2. Miyamoto said they would move onto Majora's Mask after an original 3DS Zelda (ALBW)
3. Majora's Mask was featured in Animal Crossing and showed off by Bill Trinen
4. Majora's Mask placed inside your goddamn house, the single most visited location in A Link Between Worlds.
5. Majora's Mask soundtrack was offered as a club Nintendo prize, completely at random.
6. Majora's Mask replica at the Smash Bros invitational.
7. teases of Grezzo working on a Zelda title, including their staff advertisement.
8. and now this

amongst many other things I've since forgotten

Skele7on

Banned
You'll shoot your eye out.

Don't do this guys, I would love for a WiiU or a 3DS game but I don't think this'll be anything.

We need to stay calm.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We all know it's coming. Grezzo have only done two very minor titles in the 3 years since OOT3D.

Shojx

Nice picture.

MM3DS / HD / etc. is likely inevitable but I hope this is some sort of a tease anyways!

Shion

The last Zelda game that actually tried to move the series forward in a meaningful way.

Top Bottom