• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majority of Americans approve of President Trump's handling of the Coronavirus

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013

The latest Harris Poll contained some good news for President Donald Trump amid the federal government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Conducted using a nationally representative sample of 2,050 Americans over two waves, March 14-15 and March 17-18, the poll provided some quick feedback on how the public’s perception can change overnight even as the government shifts its response to a crisis in which the news seemingly changes by the hour.
Overall, both waves showed around 60% of Americans “satisfied” with how the federal government has handled the coronavirus crisis so far.
And another poll:

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
It's amazing the range of responses you get. He's failed miserably! He's the best ever! I wonder how this will bear out come election time.

Reactions: oatmeal

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
David Axelrod from CNN said this the other day. That Americans tend to rally behind the leader during times of crisis. Basically uniting around the flag. The media and deranged SJW's may be the the only ones opposing him/cheering for his failure when this thing is all said and done.

CNN senior political commentator David Axelrod said Tuesday night that the coronavirus pandemic could boost President Trump’s chances of winning reelection in November because Americans tend to “rally behind the leader” during a crisis.
“He has one big platform right now,” he said, Newsbusters reported. “We saw it today. He’s the president of the United States in the midst of a crisis. It took him a long time to acknowledge the depth of that crisis, but if he consistently appears to be wrestling with that crisis, this is a country that likes to rally behind the leader.”
I mean Trump even has Ilhan Omar saying positive things:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it is surprising that his approval rating has not cratered. Or even been hurt much at all. If I were the Dems I would be getting worried that this crisis would actually guarantee his re-election.

Reactions: dolabla

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Yeah, it is surprising that his approval rating has not cratered. Or even been hurt much at all. If I were the Dems I would be getting worried that this crisis would actually guarantee his re-election.
And he's doing this with an out of control media that's trying to make him look as bad as possible and actively cheering for his demise

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
David Axelrod from CNN said this the other day. That Americans tend to rally behind the leader during times of crisis. Basically uniting around the flag. The media and deranged SJW's may be the the only ones opposing him/cheering for his failure when this thing is all said and done.

I mean Trump even has Ilhan Omar saying positive things:

It's absolutely true. It's why we were so united during the Soviet era. The worst thing to happen to the United States was the collapse of the Soviet Union. Without some external threat, we resort to infighting. And it's gotten very bad in recent years.

This virus may turn out to be the thing that brings us together as a nation again. Maybe not all of us, but enough to make a difference. Enough people will put their differences aside and help their fellow Americans. Rallying around the flag in times of crisis is what we've always done.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Overall it's fine. The pace of response to the economy being in shambles will make or break it as things shut down more and more. People need help.

Democrats would do the same thing, so from a fiscal stimulus point of view they can't complain.

Last edited:

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
I doubt Obama would have helped small businesses like Trump has. He was all about either the big guys or the very poor, not the people who really make the country function.
Plus Obama wouldn't be sending out payments directly to the people like President Trump is. He didn't do it during the financial crisis, so why would he now?

Plague Doctor

Mar 23, 2015
On a completely apolitical stance, this has been true throughout all of American history with one exception of Carter and the oil crisis. I don't know if that was too small to be seen as a legit crisis (i wasn't alive) or the public overwhelmingly felt he bungled it.

I really don't know how this all plays out in November or if that doesn't get delayed.

Last edited:

boogyman

Dec 4, 2014
I think it's a bit of overreacting. Although, the media did their part to spread the panic and virus. People were reacting to people overreacting.

Silent Duck

Sep 22, 2018
Seeing NBC’s thumbnail made me think of that dude, Keith from American Idol years ago.

Edit: Oops. Accidentally quoted Desertdroog. Sorry.

Last edited:

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
I think Trump is doing the best he can do. You have to remember just a week ago he didn't believe in any of this. In fact most conservatives didn't either. Some still don't. I am glad he turned that corner and listened to the science. He could have acted much much sooner and saved many lives but it is a difficult decision to shutdown the whole economy. He probably was crossing his fingers and praying for a long time, but Mother Nature is not going to stop for that.

Didn't approve his blowup over an innocent question today but I understand the stress he is under. Still, he needs to keep he composure. I miss the days when he would walk out of the room and let Pence do the heavy lifting. Pence is so much better at this. We are wasting so much of time with bullshit.

• LOL
Reactions: HeresJohnny

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It's amazing the range of responses you get. He's failed miserably! He's the best ever! I wonder how this will bear out come election time.
With how partisan things have become it truly is simply a matter of which party can get the most people to come out and vote.

The progressive pundits are trying to get their people to not vote for biden/at all so that the democratic establishment might finally take them seriously. This is a large part of why the Dems lose this sort of election, their tent is simply too big.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I doubt Obama would have helped small businesses like Trump has. He was all about either the big guys or the very poor, not the people who really make the country function.
Plus Obama wouldn't be sending out payments directly to the people like President Trump is. He didn't do it during the financial crisis, so why would he now?
Democrats are trying to give out more money and benefits than Republicans are atm. So Obama would have responded the same way. I can't see anyone doing anything differently (also remember bush gave a stimulus already before Obama).

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I think Trump is doing the best he can do. You have to remember just a week ago he didn't believe in any of this. In fact most conservatives didn't either. Some still don't. I am glad he turned that corner and listened to the science. He could have acted much much sooner and saved many lives but it is a difficult decision to shutdown the whole economy. He probably was crossing his fingers and praying for a long time, but Mother Nature is not going to stop for that.

Didn't approve his blowup over an innocent question today but I understand the stress he is under. Still, he needs to keep he composure. I miss the days when he would walk out of the room and let Pence do the heavy lifting. Pence is so much better at this. We are wasting so much of time with bullshit.
Nuance not your strong point? Logic dictates he must have believed it enough to ban travel from parts of China before everyone else.

Enemy of the people

Some of the politicians have really surprised me in good ways by actually putting politics at the back door. Gives me hope for the future actually. But CNN and a few other media outlets have disgusted me worse than ever before. Not all of them to be clear - some individual reporters have been fair, and sometimes I get the feeling some are sick of their network's orders from the top for programming. But some have been straight up heinous, and literally appear determined to crush any hope people may have simply because they don't want people thinking Trump is doing anything right.

Last edited:
Reactions: dolabla

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
"What would you say to people who are scared?"
"Fuck you bitch!"

That's an easy win question, but I guess he needs to play to his good media bad media politics.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I think the big problem is China lied.

Look if Italy got this thing first then we would of seen the exponential growth and havoc on hopsitals.

Instead China hid cases, dumping 14K on Feb 12. And that was even still probably hiding cases. Also keep in mind after Feb 12th they all of a sudden started to have a sharp drop in cases and deaths. Italy didn't even hit 100 cases until Feb 23rd.

Also keep in mind China tried to hide how extensive their measures they took were, and even today we don't know what they actually did. did they weld more people in apartments, send infected to gulags, we have no idea. And their "decline" could be 100% false as many are reporting from China that the CCP is lying once again.

As I said less than 1 month ago Italy had 100 cases and China was telling the world we turned it around. We were relying on China data that was sparse and was painting a different picture than what Italy is painting right now.

And the simple fact is CCP lied up until Mid Jan that there was human to human transmission. I don't know how much any world leader was going to do in 6 weeks to prepare the world for a complete economic grouding, and mass quarantines around the world with closed of borders.

When you actually think about it its a bit impressive what some have done with such little lead time. The world had basically a month window to make all these decisions.

But then again we are asking governments to stop the common cold. CCP virus is essentially flu/cold on sterorids as far as how its transmitted. Let me know which world leader can stop people in their country from not getting a cold.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008

This NBC reporter thinks Trump needs him to provide a platform to deliver a message. Why not just get the facts and report them instead.
The guy doesn't like how he came off in that interaction and is getting an earful from the general public who watched the press conference.

Trying to pass that off as a softball question when it did nothing to support or help the public, even if Trump 'played along to his game' is a cowards explanation.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
This is stupid. Peter Alexander's colleague, Larry Edgeworth, just died of Covid-19. What was wrong with the question? Many Americans are fearful right now.

The daily press conferences where Trump talks directly to Americans and tells them things will be okay mean nothing. He needs to grovel before a Comcast reporter for it to really count 🙄

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
We've been hearing about the situation in Israel and other nations in the middle East. Does anyone have a status report on the Palestinians? Are they even capable of combating this virus?

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
This probably won't help his approval rating.

Attempting to cover up how bad things are, isn't that what we're accusing China of having done at the start of this mess?

Last edited:

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
This probably won't help his approval rating.

Attempting to cover up how bad things are, isn't that what we're accusing China of having done at the start of this mess?
Yes, because holding unemployment numbers until a stimulus bill can be worked out is the same as destroying data and arresting people to keep the actul effect of the virus from getting out. Holding the numbers is to prevent the market from slipping farther until a bill gets done. China covered up the virus to save face, and it killed people. Totally the same though.