• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Makeup on women (and men, sure) - what's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariee

I think about starting again every now and then, but my wife tells me she doesn't like the idea of it. She also freaks out whenever I tell her that I want to go get my ears pierced too though. Guys aren't "supposed" to do either of those things apparently. So I just let it drop.

I know it's easy to say for me as I'm not in your position, but: are you trying to look like how someone else wants you to look or do you go with what you like best? I read that you used some sorts of make up for an extended time before, so I assume you have a personal interest in doing so. Then go for it (again) if that's what you like; if that's what think will suit you or make you represent yourself in a way you desire.

The whole 'not being supposed to' is just as essentialist and harmful as the 'you should'-standard when it comes to applying make-up. Of course, you can choose not to do make-up anymore if you want to please your wife - and that's all fine if that's your choice - but I read your situation as one in which you are being rather limited if you 'conform' (i.e. leave out that which you desire to do; the use of make-up).

Also, the irony of your nick, hehe.

Aesthetic make-up usage refers to using make-up to enhance and improve your otherwise unblemished looks whereas corrective make-up usage is using make-up to cover up blemishes, scars, bad skin, and similar physical flaws.

I feel that for most women, this isn't a useful way of classifying things given that they are utilizing makeup both to enhance their look and to cover blemishes. It is at once aesthetic and corrective (in the ordinary senses of the terms, not the rather arbitrary way you just defined them).

?oe?oe

I like minimum make-up or no make-up. Sometimes you don't notice they're wearing make-up and that's great! Make-up is supposed to enhance the face, not change it completely.

There's this girl on facebook and in all her photos her face is white as fuck and but her body is really tanned. She uses so much make-up and the fact that people always comment saying she is beautiful makes me sick. She's not a bad looking girl, but damn, a perfect example of make-up ruining someone.

2San

I often wonder how many women who "age poorly" are not suddenly afflicted by bad genetics but simply are women who stop wearing much make up once they've caught their fish and aren't as concerned about luring more fish in.
On the flip side, many of the women who "age well" might just be caking on more make up.

EYEL1NER

I know it's easy to say for me as I'm not in your position, but: are you trying to look like how someone else wants you to look or do you go with what you like best? I read that you used some sorts of make up for an extended time before, so I assume you have a personal interest in doing so. Then go for it (again) if that's what you like; if that's what think will suit you or make you represent yourself in a way you desire.

The whole 'not being supposed to' is just as essentialist and harmful as the 'you should'-standard when it comes to applying make-up. Of course, you can choose not to do make-up anymore if you want to please your wife - and that's all fine if that's your choice - but I read your situation as one in which you are being rather limited if you 'conform' (i.e. leave out that which you desire to do; the use of make-up).

Also, the irony of your nick, hehe.
I wore it because I liked it. I mean, I can't remember ever hearing anyone ever tell me "Bro, you need to keep wearing that eyeliner!"
I just did it because I tried it one time and thought it made me look better.

And Korea is actually where I got my nickname. I was putting on eyeliner before going out to the clubs and bars and people started calling me Eyeliner. Even after I stopped a lot of people still called me that so it stuck.

Dariee

I wore it because I liked it. I mean, I can't remember ever hearing anyone ever tell me "Bro, you need to keep wearing that eyeliner!"
I just did it because I tried it one time and thought it made me look better.

And Korea is actually where I got my nickname. I was putting on eyeliner before going out to the clubs and bars and people started calling me Eyeliner. Even after I stopped a lot of people still called me that so it stuck.

Then keep wearing it if that's what you desire. Or at least tell your wife that you do so and why; being prevented from doing something (that's how I read your situation) is the same 'forcible' thing as feeling the social pressure you have to so (how many GAF'fers here state there experiences with make-up almost being obligatory).

And love the story of the nick! I'd wear it as a title if I were in your position, hehe. Which you probably are already doing, otherwise it would have never become your nick, non?

Narolf

Banned
How about something soft? Or something that shimmers?

No need, my eyes are already filled with Mako energy.
Lucrecia-Sephiroth.png

Future

Make up makes features pop. 90% of the time people look better with it. Even photoshop in a way is "makeup." Most people don't look stunning without it. Any tv or magazine personality will cake it on, as you kind of have to

I wish I could jump on the high horse and say otherwise, but make up is a fantastic thing. People can look good without it, but almost always look better with it. People don't like settling for "good."

tkscz

Subtle makeup is best on girls. Heavier makeup can look good sometimes but it seems to be easy to overdo unless you're really experienced. Obligatory:

lady_problems_by_alexbesbd.png

Because no make-up makes you squint and frown.

OT: I've always preferred no make up. I know the difference between no and natural, and I honestly prefer none.

Eyeliner is amazing, I don't know how it's able to transform a person and why it is attractive.

I can't agree more, and wish i could explain why it is. I'm not a fan of excessive makeup, but gosh darn if a little eyeliner doesn't just make someone look super nicer to me.

I feel terrible and superficial for saying it though. It's probably just how I've been conditioned to find beauty by CORPORATIONS and stuff and junk.

EYEL1NER

Then keep wearing it if that's what you desire. Or at least tell your wife that you do so and why; being prevented from doing something (that's how I read your situation) is the same 'forcible' thing as feeling the social pressure you have to so (how many GAF'fers here state there experiences with make-up almost being obligatory).

And love the story of the nick! I'd wear it as a title if I were in your position, hehe. Which you probably are already doing, otherwise it would have never become your nick, non?
Well at the moment I don't really feel any desire to wear it. I'm working out-of-country at a remote location and I am either at work or in my room. I'm barely wearing anything more than a pair of boxer-briefs in my room most of the time; no need to wear eyeliner too.
Maybe I will talk to her about it whenever I get back home. I don't really feel like she is keeping me from wearing it too much; I guess if I really wanted to put some on enough I would say "Fuck it" and do it, and then gauge her reaction afterwards. In Korea I went out a lot though and even when I am back home, I am typically in my apartment. I don't really want to wake up in the morning, apply eyeliner, and then sit around the house playing games all day in it.

Certinty

I prefer no make up.

My fiancee looks beautiful without any makeup so perhaps that changes my mind a little, but never liked makeup even before meeting her.

Platy

I think people should use what they want.

Friend who never wear meakeup looks strange when they put make up
Friend who wear little meakeup looks strange when they put more make up or less
Friend who wear heavy meakeup looks strange when they put less make

I personaly hate makeup ... but I think I hate the time I miss by doing it more =P

I think I look alright without makeup, but I think I look slightly better with it. I definitely go for minimal makeup on most days. My face doesn't really take well to heavier makeup like eye shadow and blush.

_Isaac

Men don't need it
We look great without it

Seriously. I'm so glad there still isn't an expectation for men to have make up on all the time. Now, I've grown used to the idea of a natural regular makeup-less guy being handsome. I hope it stays that way.

Like a natural look, but doesn't really bother me much. What bothers me is when celebrities are treated like they encompass perfection and women without ninja class make-up artists are disparaged in comparison.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I think it's bullshit. Straight up. Can't stand the very idea of it.

I always found it amusing when girls who wore makeup had the audacity to shit on other people for their looks though. lol Take off half of that garbage on your face and those subtle body enhancements and let's see you keep talking that shit, chick...

Dariee

Well at the moment I don't really feel any desire to wear it. I'm working out-of-country at a remote location and I am either at work or in my room. I'm barely wearing anything more than a pair of boxer-briefs in my room most of the time; no need to wear eyeliner too.
Maybe I will talk to her about it whenever I get back home. I don't really feel like she is keeping me from wearing it too much; I guess if I really wanted to put some on enough I would say "Fuck it" and do it, and then gauge her reaction afterwards. In Korea I went out a lot though and even when I am back home, I am typically in my apartment. I don't really want to wake up in the morning, apply eyeliner, and then sit around the house playing games all day in it.

My wrong interpretation then; glad you don't feel being 'kept away from', so to say.

And I know that feel: if you're too lazy to put on clothes, you're definitely not getting bothered with applying make-up. Heck, even convincing yourself you need to take a shower at such a staying-at-home-day can be a task on itself, hehe.

Oh, this is a thing I am wondering how others experience it: do you refer to your make-up as eyeliner or 'guyliner'? Cause I've had enough people telling me like "you use it so it's guyliner then", while the last time I checked, I was using eyeliner for the sake of being eyeliner; not to gender my make-up. Nonetheless, 'they' do want to forcibly fit my act of using some sorts of make-up as within a gender-binary nonetheless. As if it were only 'acceptable' as long as it is considered 'masculine' make-up (i.e. 'guyliner') and not just make-up - "cause that's a women thing" (hence the popular opinion).

Wondering what other GAF-folks are thinking here.

At best I would expect foundation to cover up blemishes. But I guess that is what facial hair is for.

Lol, yeah, glad I don't have to find out what that skin underneath the beard looks like.

strobogo

Banned
Kim K looks pretty much the same except her eyebrows are in thicker than usual. In fact, a lot of the non-make up pictures look weird because not only have they not done their make up, but they've also not done their hair and usually look like they haven't done anything to their eyebrows for a while.

Raelson

I doubt it. Koreans are simply obsessed with their looks. The amount of plastic surgery that goes on over there is ridiculous.
True. But I feel makeup will eventually transcend the gender border. In this globalized world, it's hard for modern cultural phenomenons to just stay in one place. Is it really gonna be something that only women do forever? I don't think so. If you think about it, there's really no logical reason why only women should do it. It's how our society sees it right now, but with the world becoming more globalized and the rise of progressive gender equality movements all around the world, I feel this will slowly, slowly change.

Dom Brunt

It can help ugly people look presentable, but I really prefer good looking, fresh-faced people to go without it. Especially the eyeliner. Any amount of it.

There is actually a way of putting eyeliner on so that it can be pretty much impossible to tell if someone is using it, but a lot of women don't put it on that way. If it's on the eyelid above the lashes (or below if we're talking lower lids) then it's always noticeable but if it's a very thin line right at the base of the lashes and not at all above the lash line then it looks natural and it makes the eyelashes look longer and the eyes look more open. Darker skinned women with thick black eyelashes don't need to do it but white girls with thin and lighter colored lashes can really benefit from it even to the point where actual mascara isn't even necessary. Obviously the eyeliner should be brown or light brown for lighter lashes so the contrast between the eyeliner and lashes isn't noticeable. I wish I could find a Youtube tutorial video for this to give you an example but I forgot the name of the technique. But anyway the point is, "any amount" of eyeliner isn't bad since there's a way of doing it so that it's totally unnoticeable (I'm pretty sure you've looked at a lot of girls thinking they don't have eyeliner on but they've actually had) and it's really great for girls who weren't born with thick, black eyelashes since they can often look really tired or their eyes might look quite small without any makeup (read: "ugly" as far as GAF is concerned).

Seriously. I'm so glad there still isn't an expectation for men to have make up on all the time. Now, I've grown used to the idea of a natural regular makeup-less guy being handsome. I hope it stays that way.

A lot of men could really use makeup, I don't see any shame in it. Of course it's easier not to but why should it just be reserved for women, I think it's unfair. Also, what I said above is why I think men should be more comfortable with wearing makeup since that technique would help a lot of guys as well. And there's no reason why men shouldn't cover up their blemishes and dark under eye circles. Eyebrow color would be pretty useful for some men too since some guys (like girls) have lighter eyebrows than hair (and/or beard). Fuck it, men could also contour their faces but that might be asking for too much skill.

I always found it amusing when girls who wore makeup had the audacity to shit on other people for their looks though. lol Take off half of that garbage on your face and those subtle body enhancements and let's see you keep talking that shit, chick...

This is true but I've also encountered girls online who don't use makeup and are all high and mighty about it and have this attitude that "only ugly girls wear makeup". It's immature and stupid and really off-putting.

What grates me is that it's perfectly acceptable for men to not wear make-up, and unlike with ladies it's not pointed out how they have eyebags or skin pores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom