• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Makeup on women (and men, sure) - what's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

It's not against make-up in general, for me. The point of make-up to cover imperfections, accentuate features, etc, that's fine. It's the ultra excessive "glamorous" makeup that ends up detracting from appearances, that sucks.

As a comparison (stolen from Imgur)

P2cd4Ei.jpg

I prefer without, but if a little make-up will boost someone's confidence then that's alright too since confidence is usually pretty sexy.

Kayhan

It's not against make-up in general, for me. The point of make-up to cover imperfections, accentuate features, etc, that's fine. It's the ultra excessive "glamorous" makeup that ends up detracting from appearances, that sucks.

Looks way better on the right.

JohnDoe

Banned
It's a no win situation. We're expected to primp and look good then chided for doing it too much or "lying."

See, this is exactly why I want to punch every guy in the face who shames women for putting on too much and then talks shit about girls who are "ugly" too.
I'm not going to act as if I'm better than everyone; I prefer women who wear light makeup too. I also think it looks ridiculous when women put on too much. But I sure as hell don't hate women for not living up to my "standards" because they use too much or too little.
Idk man, to me it always feels like women can never please society, I mean we expect women to reach a certain standard in looks that can be only achieved with makeup but then we call them fake whores because they put on too much? It's fucking nuts.

EYEL1NER

I always found it amusing when girls who wore makeup had the audacity to shit on other people for their looks though. lol Take off half of that garbage on your face and those subtle body enhancements and let's see you keep talking that shit, chick...
Huh,why is it amusing? There are lots of women who look absolutely amazing without makeup.

My wrong interpretation then; glad you don't feel being 'kept away from', so to say.

And I know that feel: if you're too lazy to put on clothes, you're definitely not getting bothered with applying make-up. Heck, even convincing yourself you need to take a shower at such a staying-at-home-day can be a task on itself, hehe.

Oh, this is a thing I am wondering how others experience it: do you refer to your make-up as eyeliner or 'guyliner'? Cause I've had enough people telling me like "you use it so it's guyliner then", while the last time I checked, I was using eyeliner for the sake of being eyeliner; not to gender my make-up. Nonetheless, 'they' do want to forcibly fit my act of using some sorts of make-up as within a gender-binary nonetheless. As if it were only 'acceptable' as long as it is considered 'masculine' make-up (i.e. 'guyliner') and not just make-up - "cause that's a women thing" (hence the popular opinion).

Wondering what other GAF-folks are thinking here.
I never felt the need to refer to it as 'guyliner.' I mean, I can be the bro-est of bros sometimes, but I am comfortable in the things I do and do not do. I had some people in Korea who called me a bitch or gay or whatever for doing it, but it just rolled off my back. There are some other things I do that are seen as effeminate by some I guess, like shaving my arms. "Guys aren't supposed to do that, what the fuck?!" is something I have heard over that one too. It's whatever, didn't really ever bother me.

Wazzim

Banned
Love it depending on the way it is applied. Some people just dump too much foundation (?), making themselves look very ugly and insecure.

Things like eyeliner however look amazing on nearly every woman.

Iph

Banned
I rarely wear make-up. I only figured out how to put it on so it looks natural a couple of years ago and even then I can't be bothered. I hate getting mascara/eyeliner off. It always smudges at some point during the day or there will be some the morning after even though I think I got it all off with eye makeup remover.

I pretty much only consider SPF 15 face moisturizer and some lightly tinted lip balm to be essentials. I treat makeup as something for more formal occasions and pictures maybe. I also hate dark eyeshadow, black mascara and eyeliner. I think it has an awful, haggard, zombifying effect to the face/expression (at least for me). I also think foundation makes the skin look worse/noticably fake. I rarely think it makes a person's skin look better. I knew a girl who was a makeup artist/skin care consultant for her job and she wanted to do my makeup for me on a few occasions for fun/practice. Every time I came out caked and looked like a bad 80's glamour shot. I thought she was doing it bad on purpose but I guess some people seriously think that's what looks good. I'm not a fan of it really, but only my opinion.

Here is a mugshot of me on a normal day, zero prep for the photo other then fiddling with bangs. (My one eye is a little puffy, contacts were giving me a hard time.)

c0d13858-596f-471f-9cfa-abf05add9574_zps9110266f.jpg

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Huh,why is it amusing? There are lots of women who look absolutely amazing without makeup.
True. But these same girls who I have encountered talking all kinds of shit about other peoples looks whilst using obvious beauty enhancements wouldn't be caught dead without them. I think that speaks volumes of their true character. Thus, the amusement.

I can't recall anybody I know ever criticizing someone for lack of make up though.
Oh, but I have, I have... =/

Keri

I can't recall anybody I know ever criticizing someone for lack of make up though.

My very first job out of college, I watched another women get reprimanded for not wearing make-up in the office, because it (supposedly) made her look unprofessional.

The expectations are ridiculous. For a lot of people make-up is considered basic hygiene for women. The same way you wouldn't leave your house in the morning without brushing your teeth? Don't leave without putting on your "face."

Iph

Banned
My very first job out of college, I watched another women get reprimanded for not wearing make-up in the office, because it (supposedly) made her look unprofessional.

The expectations are ridiculous. For a lot of people make-up is considered basic hygiene for women. The same way you wouldn't leave your house in the morning without brushing your teeth? Don't leave without putting on your "face."

Yeah, I've had someone try to "push" it on me or give me a hard time about it. I always look worse or at "best", more sexed-up in a way I don't want at all. It's so goofy. If a person is clean, well-groomed and well dressed, make-up seems completely unneccessary unless someone feels more confident and that they look better with it. It should never be expected. I think it's a waste of money and is only appropriate for special occasions.

It's bad for your skin, eyes, etc.

Takuan

Happens plenty of time, my girlfriend often hear "You would look absolutely gorgeous with a tiny bit of makeup!" from hear friends.
Haha. I've heard girls tell their girlfriends they would look "perfect" if only they got some feature on their face fixed. Mean as hell, but surprisingly normal in certain cultures.

2San

I can see it happen in a work related environment, there's a bare minimum in place. Men have similar expectations though, covering up tattoo's being trimmed/clean-shave.

Oh, but I have, I have... =/
Happens plenty of time, my girlfriend often hear "You would look absolutely gorgeous with a tiny bit of makeup!" from hear friends.
Can't imagine it being a common occurrence, though it might be a difference in culture thing.

Dariee

I never felt the need to refer to it as 'guyliner.' I mean, I can be the bro-est of bros sometimes, but I am comfortable in the things I do and do not do. I had some people in Korea who called me a bitch or gay or whatever for doing it, but it just rolled off my back. There are some other things I do that are seen as effeminate by some I guess, like shaving my arms. "Guys aren't supposed to do that, what the fuck?!" is something I have heard over that one too. It's whatever, didn't really ever bother me.

But that's my point: I feel comfortable as well and have no need to label things differently so to 'fit my gender'. Nonetheless, that is what others try to forcibly 'attach' to me. Like, either I'm expected to not wear make-up at all or otherwise I should be calling it at least 'guyliner' (just as people assume I have a 'male purse', while it's just a 'plain bag' to me). And then you have the many that almost beg you to either identify as homosexual or trans, as it simply doesn't compute with their bigot view on gender that someone with a beard could wear make-up without it having to 'mean' anything.

I mean, I am fairly - if not highly - confident with what I do and conciously choose what I like and don't, which includes make-up. No need to hide that, obviously. But it does bother me that others can't take anything 'just for what it is'. So therefore wondering how others experience this.

bjb

Banned
My analysis; Some women look awful without makeup and some women look awful with make up. Personally, I don't really see it being a big issue. Granted, I could probably never take a girl seriously if she absolutely had to put a ton of make up on every morning she woke up. I would consider that a major red flag for insecurity issues or being emotionally unstable (among other things).

As far as men wearing makeup; lol. Get ready to be appropriately ridiculed unless it's really subtle.

meow

The opinions in this thread go against a lot of what I seem to see irl.

but I also think you might get a different opinion overall if you ask women vs. men. There's a girl I know who admittedly wears a lot of makeup every day. I don't exactly go around asking everyone if they think she's attractive, but the few times it's come up, my girl friends think she's pretty and does her makeup well, my guy friends think she's "ok" and wears too much makeup.

I've also heard the explanation that some girls just like makeup, as in it's fun to apply, like creativity for your face. I think that whoever posted that Michelle Phan link had a pretty good example.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
People can wear make-up if they want. Making any sort of generalization about people who wear make-up is shitty.

Edit : To clarify, I don't care what anyone's tastes are, just don't go around judging other people for what they do or don't have on their face.

The opinions in this thread go against a lot of what I seem to see irl.

but I also think you might get a different opinion overall if you ask women vs. men. There's a girl I know who admittedly wears a lot of makeup every day. I don't exactly go around asking everyone if they think she's attractive, but the few times it's come up, my girl friends think she's pretty and does her makeup well, my guy friends think she's "ok" and wears too much makeup.

I've also heard the explanation that some girls just like makeup, as in it's fun to apply, like creativity for your face. I think that whoever posted that Michelle Phan link had a pretty good example.

It can be pretty fun, especially if you're into design. It's basically design on your face.

People can wear make-up if they want. Making any sort of generalization about people who wear make-up is shitty.

Edit : To clarify, I don't care what anyone's tastes are, just don't go around judging other people for what they do or don't have on their face.
Are you telling me you never judge anyone, wasn't aware we had a real life saint.

What grates me is that it's perfectly acceptable for men to not wear make-up, and unlike with ladies it's not pointed out how they have eyebags or skin pores.

Huh? People will tell you everything that's wrong with your face if you are a man. There's a big chance they will make fun of it also.

For example an unkempt beard, or you tried to use new facial hair style, or fucking everything.

Girl without make up, she looks horrible:
Reaction: Are you ok? You look a little tired.

Men tries a Goatee, he looks terrible:
Reaction: Psssshff HAHAHAHAHA, what the fuck is that? *comparisons to famous character that also have that specific style for the rest of the day.*

RDreamer

I tend to date a lot of girls that dislike makeup. I think I had only 1 or 2 that put on just a bit of foundation once in a while. Other than that the rest never did anything. I tend to prefer it that way. My wife now doesn't even know how to put on makeup. When she did some foundation and some minimal stuff for our wedding my mom and sister had to help her.

RDreamer

Yikes....how old is she?

She's 25. She knows some basic things now, but never does it unless we're going to a wedding or something. Even then it's just foundation or something. No reason to say yikes. She looks beautiful without it. She'd probably look out of place in a magazine or something, because they lay on the eye shadow like crazy, but I (obviously) adore the way she looks. By now I'd think she looks odd with the stuff on, since I'm so used to it. Again, I've never really dated a girl that takes longer than like 2 minutes to do some makeup.

Dom Brunt

If you want to get pointed at and potentially beat up, then go for it.

I'm pretty sure no one would notice if a man wore a little bit of makeup (if it's applied well), since it's quite obvious most women can wear some makeup and fool people into thinking they're not wearing any. Also where the hell do you live if this is the reaction people would have to a man wearing makeup? It's not a big deal, jesus christ. Most men would benefit from it but since it's seen as "gay" or "effeminate" everyone's afraid to do it which is just ridiculous.

I vastly prefer the type of girl who doesn't need makeup thus natural beauty>makeup.

This one girl i used to know looked so much better without making and when she had it on, she looked worse(reminded me of a clown...). Yet some guys liked her better with the makeup even though I'm pretty sure she doesn't know how to use it correctly. However, I've seen a lot of girls who looked good with makeup but when they don't use it, they look like a different person and not as attractive.

maxxpower

I only hate it when women wear excessive makeup(cake face). I've never known a woman that looked good with a lot of makeup on.

kamspy

For my tastes, the best way a woman can apply make up is to make it look as if she isn't wearing any.

Accentuate the natural beauty. Otherwise I look at you and think "that girl is wearing make up" opposed to "that girl is beautiful".

My GF never believe me when I tell her I like her better without make up, or with very little in natural, skin tone type colors.

Bold lipstick is the worst offender for me. Followed by neon eye shadow.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
In real life no-makeup beats makeup like crazy. On pictures makeup usually finishes on top. Behind the face is most-often a person. That person has alot of subtleties in the way it moves its facial muscles that sometimes gets obscured by makeup making it an obstacle to communicating naturally.

leadbelly

Banned

I prefer the picture on the right. She hasn't got a load of shit slapped over her face.

velociraptor

Make-up only looks good when used slightly. I prefer the 'natural makeup' appearance, compared to the blaringly obvious IN YOUR FACE make up.

I rarely wear make-up. I only figured out how to put it on so it looks natural a couple of years ago and even then I can't be bothered. I hate getting mascara/eyeliner off. It always smudges at some point during the day or there will be some the morning after even though I think I got it all off with eye makeup remover.

I pretty much only consider SPF 15 face moisturizer and some lightly tinted lip balm to be essentials. I treat makeup as something for more formal occasions and pictures maybe. I also hate dark eyeshadow, black mascara and eyeliner. I think it has an awful, haggard, zombifying effect to the face/expression (at least for me). I also think foundation makes the skin look worse/noticably fake. I rarely think it makes a person's skin look better. I knew a girl who was a makeup artist/skin care consultant for her job and she wanted to do my makeup for me on a few occasions for fun/practice. Every time I came out caked and looked like a bad 80's glamour shot. I thought she was doing it bad on purpose but I guess some people seriously think that's what looks good. I'm not a fan of it really, but only my opinion.

Here is a mugshot of me on a normal day, zero prep for the photo other then fiddling with bangs. (My one eye is a little puffy, contacts were giving me a hard time.)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/camabyte/c0d13858-596f-471f-9cfa-abf05add9574_zps9110266f.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Well, you are certainly looking very good without it so probably you are confident about your normal look so much that your level of tolerance for make up is lower than for most. Maybe your friend just sucks at it or needs more practice. :P

Smellycat

Would be great if this 'effect' were more prevalent (whether with or without make-up).

Other than that: some people it suits to wear make-up and some it doesn't. If you feel pressured (not) to do make-up, it's a wrong thing anyway. /statingtheobvious

Also, emphasis on the 'not'. Cause that's also a social pressure.

He doesn't wear makeup. He has stated several times that is just how he looks.

Ikael

Firmly planted in the "make up is not necessary and I don't know why so much time is spent on that thing" camp. Yes, a subtle and expert use of make up can enchance the beauty that is already there, but I always think that it is too much of a hassle for too little trade off. Also, it is very, how to say it, "picture focused". I always view it as something that you do in order to appear good in a photo or film, that is, under very strange visualization circumstances (heavy lightining, 2-D, etc).

When dealing with make up in real life or close distances, the illusion breaks up fast. I dunno about everyone else, but there's something "off" about the faces with make up (outside of lipstick / balm) like some kind of uncanny valley, or blurred identity thing, I cannot quite put my finger on it. I never demanded my partners to wear make up, nor I think that I will ever do it, but whatever make you feel better, I guess.

kaioshade

My GF rarely wears makeup, except when she is going out somewhere fancy like a wedding or large party. And she still looks great. Part of it is i tell her she looks fine without it, and she is an artist, and does not have time to throw on layers of makeup when she could be doing other things.

i live with her as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom