• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making of a Myth: The Grueling Development of the Original Kid Icarus

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/29565

This is a really interesting article about the development of the original NES game and its not so well known creator, Toru Osawa.

Osawa continued to stoically develop Kid Icarus by himself. When Metroid was completed, the rest of Nintendo's R&D1 department took a well-deserved vacation, and Osawa was left behind in Nintendo's offices amidst the August heat, struggling to get his game completed on schedule. When Yoshio Sakamoto came back from vacation and saw Kid Icarus had only running and shooting mechanics, he immediately saw his friend needed help and recruited the rest of the Metroid team to assist.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Metroid-Database translated a huge interview with R&D1 members on the FDS, from about 2003... I'm guessing this is where the site you posted got most of their info (I can't click at the moment). It covers not only Kid Icarus but Metroid, Famitan and some other miscellaneous stuff from that era, and features Yoshio Sakamoto, Hiroji Kiyotake, Toru Osawa nd Kenji Yamamoto. Definitely worth a read.

Metroid-Database translated a huge interview with R&D1 members on the FDS, from about 2003... I'm guessing this is where the site you posted got most of their info (I can't click at the moment). It covers not only Kid Icarus but Metroid, Famitan and some other miscellaneous stuff from that era, and features Yoshio Sakamoto, Hiroji Kiyotake, Toru Osawa nd Kenji Yamamoto. Definitely worth a read.

They do source that Metroid Database translation. I'll have to read that.

The most amazing thing I read in that article is that the dog from Duck Hunt is named Mr. Peepers. Never knew!

Yeah, I never knew he had a name.

Good God I really felt sorry for him.

The most fucked up part was that he didn't even get his name in the credits!

Top Bottom