• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making The Witcher 3 look like Runescape and playing on hardware way below minimum

LordOfChaos

This is an interesting exercise, this guy goes around tweaking game ini files until they can run on very low end hardware. He's gotten around 25fps on a 540M in this case (which is probably close to a HD 4000 by Intel).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJ330NGjCU&lc=z133fzawjtjwulevp23sxdtjbkybgr3bd04

This will likely cause some feeling of snobbery, I realize most won't want to go that far, but if you're on the borderline of playable and not hitting a locked 30fps for instance, some of the tweaks like disabling shadows could help, without going as far as dropping below the minimum resolution and making the textures look so flat.

I played RuneScape for about five years, from 2005 to 2010, and RuneScape never, ever, looked as good as this low spec version of The Witcher.

I'm disappointed. :( It just looks like a modern game running on really low specs. I don't know what I expected.

LordOfChaos

I played RuneScape for about five years, from 2005 to 2010, and RuneScape never, ever, looked as good as this low spec version of The Witcher.

I'm disappointed. :( It just looks like a modern game running on really low specs. I don't know what I expected.

I dunno man. I only ever played the 2D one back when it was new, gave up before the first 3D overhaul and there have been several since, but I saw the latest one. Actually I think Runescape even looks better in some ways, yes you can tell it's a far simpler world, but at least it has the resolution and clarity.

ZjgCbuR.jpg

This by the end

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150212095010/runescape/images/0/04/CC6_(4)_update_image.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That's really cool.

What's crazy, is that when I look at this, I can honestly imagine myself thinking "holy shit that looks real" if I would have seen these videos in 1998.

This Is like if The Witcher 3 was on PS2 or early Xbox.

Hey man I remember those days I was Struggling to get Crysis 1 on Low Specs

The Struggle was Real

LordOfChaos

Man, I'm desperate to play but I wonder if I'm this desperate.

What hardware do you have? This is an exercise in the extreme, but if your hardware is more middling you don't have to do every tweak. Turning off shadows could put something over the edge for instance.

I... Think I'm going to play the game like this =X

This is amazing and I didn't know the channel either, so thanks for letting me know!

Hopefully there aren't any game breaking bugs or any huge problems with the game.

Helznicht

TheRed

Haha this is cool funny thing is with how big and expansive the world is I would be totally impressed by this years ago. Actually Id be fine with playing it like this on my vita lol

Xiraiya

Modern Day Runescape is actually pretty impressive for running in a browser, it has an artstyle that works well with it's lowpolyness.

Awesome!

I used to be way into this. My proudest moment was running UT 2004 on a machine that usually struggled anything better than Quake 3.

There was a mod in the works for Oblivion to make it run on old PC's that I was hyped for when I didn't have the money to upgrade my PC. I don't think it released but it looked only a little worse than what this guy did with Witcher 3.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm thinking I might have to do something like this for Arkham Knight.

My Radeon HD 5800 is really starting to show its age.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Haha, that's pretty cool. Still has all the story and systems running under it so it's totally playable!

Fasty

I love this! For those times when I'm playing on my old PC that's hooked up to my tv and I don't mind it looking like a middling console game, or in the desperate stages of a LAN when we need every available PC to be able to play the game. Very worthy cause haha

Top Bottom