• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinan

Strelkov is bragging about it, thinking they shot down Ukrainian AN-26:

BswY6OtCQAEJPIa.png:large

This is what happens if you send Buk rocket systems to terrorists.... Happy now, Russia?

LiK

"@AP: BREAKING: Adviser to Ukraine's Interior Minister says passenger plane carrying 295 shot down."

Alucrid

Banned

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BswY6OtCQAEJPIa.png:large[IMG]

This is what happens if you send Buk rocket systems to terrorists.... Happy now, Russia?[/QUOTE]

Well, looking at this...

[quote="Nickodemos, post: 121434436"]Just so everybody's clear, operating advanced SAM systems such as the Buk is beyond the ability of the average insurgent cockmongler. If there are such systems employed on the separatist side, they're crewed by personnel from the Russian air-space defence brigades and get their orders from the Russian chain of command.[/QUOTE]

I would assume so.

Volimar

This is lighting up my twitter feed. Those poor souls. Minding your own business and getting shot down on a passenger plane.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What the fuck. Is there any way to prove whether the missile came from Russia or the Ukraine? Or will everyone just be blaming each other?

It would be hard for anti air missile to originate from Russia, they have around 25 km of operating range (BUK). Other thing would be either trained separatists /Ukraine army trigger happy crew of mobile launcher unit.

Linkhero1

Wow...

Out of curiosity what happened the last time a passenger plane was shot down by military? Were there any repercussions?

Tugatrix

does Malaysia even have a military? I doubt they will respond

they have, but they won't respond military Russia is too big and Ukraine too far, but they will ask for diplomatic support from international community and ask for payment of the losses and sorry.

Imagine going on holiday, and dying because your flight-operatives ignore airspace rules, and a gung-ho military take drastic action instead of negotiating

RIP

Nicktendo86

Fuck, rip to all those who have died (I am sure many if not all on that plane did :( ) and I am sure there will be consequences for this. Terrible.

Kinyou

This is what happens if you send Buk rocket systems to terrorists.... Happy now, Russia?
Oh, that's fucked up. Russia will have a lot of explaining to do

Linkhero1

The Russians shot down a Korean passenger jet that accidentally invaded their airspace. There was no response

The Americans also shot down an Iranian jet and there was no response

I'm going to assume the same in this case. I'm sure there will be some condemnation.

iceatcs

Wow, shot down. Might be only one who did it. No extremists problem but rebel.

Or even worst, Russia or Ukraine.

Tugatrix

There is one thing we aren't considering how many of those passengers were westerners? What diplomatic nightmare, I recall that USA enter WWI exactly because of stuff like this

Nikodemos

That shit needs to be saved and archived. Strelkov is a GRU officer. He gets his marching orders straight from Uncle Vlad.

Well, damn. My guess is, the Donetsk separatists fucked it up and can't hope for any russian help now if Ukraine attacks their shithole of a city. But that's just a wild guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom