• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysian Government blanket-blocks Steam via DNS over Jesus & Buddha fighting game

Pixieking

Banned
Edit 7 (Final edit?):

I can now access Steam on TM's Unifi fibre broadband, but MyMaxis (mobile internet) is still giving me a

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

At this stage, I would definintely say it is in the process of propogating the unblock, and it should be fully resolved by the end of the day. :)

-----------

Edit 6: PCGamesN is reporting that Steam is officially back up in Malaysia, but some ISPs are still blocking it.

-------------

Edit 5: PCGamer - Malaysia blocks Steam over 2D brawler that lets you beat up Jesus (Updated)

Update: Valve has issued a statement indicating that it is aware of the block and working to address it.

"Right now players in Malaysia can access the games they own on Steam, but the Steam Store is being blocked by some local telcos in Malaysia. From reports we are reading, this is due to a single game that conflicts with local laws," a rep said. "We have contacted the developer, removed the game, and are attempting to make contact with the officials in Malaysia to remove the block. We apologize for any inconvenience."

The removal of Fight of Gods appears to only be in effect in Malaysia, however, as it's currently still available for purchase in the US and elsewhere.

-----------

Edit 4: To keep all the pertinent info in the OP

MCMC Blocks Entire Steam Store Following God Fighting Game Controversy

-----------

Edit 3: Can't access Steam on fibre (TM Internet) or mobile (MyMaxis/Hotlink).

Presuming this will be fixed in the next day or so, but god knows.

----------

Edit 2: Not fixed! Error is happening again.

I might just go to bed early, and see what's going on in the morning. :(

----------

Edit: Rebooting router fixed this.

W. T. F.

Seriously weird.

-----------------

Dithering about this warranting a new thread. It'll probably be sorted quickly, but still...

Trying to access store.steampowered.com gives this error

MAKLUMAN

Laman sesawang ini tidak dapat diakses di Malaysia kerana
kandungannya melanggar undang-undang negara.

NOTIFICATION

This website is not available in Malaysia as it violate(s)
the National law(s).

Untuk maklumat lanjut / for more information click here

Clicking there leads to this:

http://abload.de/img/nosteamcwupk.jpg

Lots of people here have Steam, and have had it for years, so this is really weird. The client times out on loading, so Offline mode is the only possibility right now.

Anyone else got any info?

Edit: PSN, btw, seems to be fine. I just loaded up the PSN store website, so yeah.

H13

what isp are u using?
try using google dns
i'm using unifi and no problem so far.

shanafan

To protect Malaysian people and culture from the new Humble Bundle

zoolander1.jpg

Still haven't seen Zoolander 2.

Pixieking

Banned
So it's just me? So very odd. I might restart our router and see if that does something? No reason why it should, but...

Machina

Banned
lmao sorry I just find it hilarious that OP is having trouble connecting to Steam and his first assumption is his government is responsible.

Is free democracy really in that much strife in the Asian Isles? I know Duterte is a massive cunt in the Philippines but jesus.

Ashtar

Hmmm I guess I shouldn't be surprised we have Malaysians here, still pretty cool I need to go back and visit

oh now I see some retweets on twitter. seems skmm ends up doing their typical method that bypassable by google dns or opendns. I suppose it's because of that game.

Pixieking

Banned
lmao sorry I just find it hilarious that OP is having trouble connecting to Steam and his first assumption is his government is responsible.

Considering it actually quoted government legislation, it's an assumption, but a fair one. :(
Is free democracy really in that much strife in the Asian Isles? I know Duterte is a massive cunt in the Philippines but jesus.

Eh, it's a bit iffy in the area due to religious tolerance and colonial pasts. But, y'know, Japan is doing fine. Mostly. :p

and the traffic jam.

UniFi. No problem to access Steam.

Yeah, everyone else is on a different ISP. I think maybe TM is a bit more strict in their application of the "Communication and Multimedia Act"?

Also, I like the thread title edit. :D

Bowl0l

I switched back my DNS to non-Google DNS.
Sorry for doubting you OP..

I hope those close-minded monkeys stay in their cave instead of going online. It will help them more in the long run.

Also affects Umobile.

Pixieking

Banned
Epic.

Can a mod change the thread title back, pls. :'(

Hopefully enough people'll kick up a fuss that it'll change back soon. There's going to be a lot of school kids annoyed and complaining to their parents this weekend.

Wok

As I wrote in the Steam thread, try ProtonVPN:

If you experience it again, try ProtonVPN:
https://protonvpn.com/

For free, you have an IP from a US, Dutch or Japanese computer.

And if you pay, you have access to the "secure core" option (everything goes through Switzerland, Iceland or Sweden before going to any other country), more servers, including servers optimized for P2P.

With the free option, you should be fine, traffic should be secured.

With the "secure core" option, the end-point server is not aware of your true identity, as the "secure core" is in-between you and the end-point server. So, it is even more secured, but maybe overkill.

Bowl0l

As I wrote in the Steam thread, try ProtonVPN:

With the free option, you should be fine, traffic should be secured.

With the "secure core" option, the end-point server is not aware of your true identity, as the "secure core" is in-between you and the end-point server. So, it is even more secured, but maybe overkill.
Someone seriously named their product, Proton??

Really hope this was one big mistake.

But I wouldn't be surprised they'd pull a stunt like this. People here are hyper sensitive with issues like this.

Daedardus

Wait, something like one silly game causes a government to shut down a whole service that is critical to a whole industry? How is that justifiable? What will happen even if people play that game? Try to overthrow the government? Seems like a petty move if you ask me.

Jintor

Wait, something like one silly game causes a government to shut down a whole service that is critical to a whole industry? How is that justifiable? What will happen even if people play that game? Try to overthrow the government? Seems like a petty move if you ask me.

It's Malaysia.

the government is a shitshow.

malaysia is not nearly as autocratic as singapore, but considering that the main opposition leader keeps getting thrown in jail for supposed buggery charges on and off for the past two decades, you can kind of intuit how malaysian politics operates

Wok

Shows that intimidation and violence work then.

Well, you cannot blame them for trying to make a videogame without taking too much risk for their lives. They are just making a videogame, this is all they are doing.

By the look of it, even depicting Buddha or Jesus is too much already, as it could lead to a DLC depicting other prophets/deities. So I would say the devs were pretty smart to test the water.

Top Bottom