• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysian Government blanket-blocks Steam via DNS over Jesus & Buddha fighting game

damolii

Neo Member
Man I can't wait till they hear about the anime that came out a few years ago...
th

Jimrpg

Couldn't the Malaysian government just ask Steam to block sales of that single game in that country? Like how it happens with some games blocked in Germany/Australia?

Did they have to block an entire service?

EDIT: As the Gaffers said above.

Knowing them they did not know how to request that from Steam.

It's not that.

They just went ahead and blocked the site until Steam or Pqube the publisher block the game in Malaysia.

As lots of other games get requested to be banned by other countries like Germany I suppose Steam will probably comply and things will go back to normal soon.

13ruce

Banned
Are any of the God of War games released there? Cuz if so hmmmm.....🤔
hypocrites cuz slaying other gods is fine

13ruce

Banned
All of them. But it's Greek mythology so...

Yeah i edited my post to to add in that slaying other gods is fine to adress that bit.

On mobile tho so i dunno how long a edit takes.

Edit: well greeks did believe in those gods and some still do.

Jimrpg

Yeah i edited my post to to add in that slaying other gods is fine to adress that bit.

On mobile tho so i dunno how long a edit takes.

I think it's just Jesus that is the issue here. Without Jesus I don't think the government would care about the others Amaratsu, Anubis etc.

Maybe Buddha?

kurahador

I think it's just Jesus that is the issue here. Without Jesus I don't think the government would care about the others Amaratsu, Anubis etc.

Maybe Buddha?

Jesus is the issue I'm sure considering Asura Wrath is still being sold in stores.

Seems like the game has been blocked from purchase.
Dammit, I was hoping to buy it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Knowing our government, I'm guessing they just screwed up the request form / communication to Valve due to poor English.
When I think of English and Malaysia, I think of their infamous DBZ dub

Pixieking

Banned
PCGamer: Malaysia blocks Steam over 2D brawler that lets you beat up Jesus (Updated)

Update: Valve has issued a statement indicating that it is aware of the block and working to address it.

"Right now players in Malaysia can access the games they own on Steam, but the Steam Store is being blocked by some local telcos in Malaysia. From reports we are reading, this is due to a single game that conflicts with local laws," a rep said. "We have contacted the developer, removed the game, and are attempting to make contact with the officials in Malaysia to remove the block. We apologize for any inconvenience."

The removal of Fight of Gods appears to only be in effect in Malaysia, however, as it's currently still available for purchase in the US and elsewhere.

It's the weekend, though, so it may or may not be fixed before Monday.

Edit: PCGamesN is reporting that Steam is officially back up in Malaysia, but some ISPs are still blocking it. I'm going to try restarting router and stuff again, see what my ISP is doing.

Pixieking

Banned
Okay, so both my fibre ISP and my mobile provider now show this error when trying to load the store:

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Would I be correct in thinking that the blanket-block has been lifted and it's just waiting to propogate? Or are they just being dicks?

Bowl0l

Umobile user here.
Still can see Server Error 404.

Edit:
Now UniFi is able to access Steam store without Google DNS.

Pixieking

Banned
Umobile user here.
Still can see Server Error 404.

I can now access Steam on TM's Unifi fibre broadband, but MyMaxis (mobile internet) is still giving me a "404 - file or directory not found". At this stage, I would definintely say it is in the process of propogating the unblock, and to just give it a bit longer. :)

Renekton

As a person who has not seen this Malaysian dub, "Saiya People" is a perfectly fine way to translate "Saiya-jin".
I am Earth People!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInzbCBRvnw

http://i.imgur.com/ktUa3yY.gif

This post made me realize that Zoolander ruined my brain for the terms 'Malaysia' | 'Government' forever
Hilariously, Zoolander's depiction is more progressive than real life, due to having a minority as the prime minister.

Top Bottom