• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysian PC Gamer sez Grand Theft Auto 4 PC "soon, possible"

Zyzyxxz

after being disappointed with the PS3 version I will wait and see if any mods make this game great.

What I think will be awesome though is that the game already supports multiplayer without mods so lets see what we can get off the modding community

I'm going to keep my PS3 version just because of the online with my buds and I like playing single player games on my couch. I'm going to buy the PC version solely for the mods. I can't wait to see what people make.

Mamesj

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
Jesus Christ, enough with this 'superior version' BS... The game isn't even announced yet, let alone actually played by anyone...

but it will be the superior version. as were all the other PC GTA games. I'm not trying to stick it to console owners (I bought a version day 1)...I'm just happy about 60fps, no vaseline filter, better control, true 720p and higher, mods etc.

Mamesj said:
but it will be the superior version. as were all the other PC GTA games. I'm not trying to stick it to console owners (I bought a version day 1)...I'm just happy about 60fps, no vaseline filter, better control, true 720p and higher, mods etc.

Except who's to say any of those things (other than resolution) will actually come true if the game does show up on PC?

The old GTA3* ports on PC had severe problems when uncapping the framerate, we've seen plenty of PC ports with broken control scenes, being able to turn off the filters remains in debate, and with the current situation with DLC, modding ability remains up in the air...

Mamesj

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
Except who's to say any of those things (other than resolution) will actually come true if the game does show up on PC?

The old GTA3* ports on PC had severe problems when uncapping the framerate, we've seen plenty of PC ports with broken control scenes, being able to turn off the filters remains in debate, and with the current situation with DLC, modding ability remains up in the air...

shut up i have a crystal ball

Cheeto

Zero_Phoenix said:

They were able to mod, massively multiplayer game modes into the previous GTA, which didn't even have any multiplayer AT ALL. I think the modders will do alright.

Cheeto said:
They were able to mod, massively multiplayer game modes into the previous GTA, which didn't even have any multiplayer AT ALL. I think the modders will do alright.

Didn't they completely lock out mods of version 2.0+ of GTA:SA though? Such that you have to downgrade some components to get stuff like MTA to work? At least that's what I had to do last time I tried.

Why would they let users make mods for free when they can sell it to them?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:

:lol :lol :lol

Oh dear.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if Rockstar allows mods, there *will* be mods.

Cheeto

Zero_Phoenix said:
Why would they let users make mods for free when they can sell it to them?
That's a good question. Maybe a better question is, why would anyone buy mods when you and your community can make and distribute them for free?

Ysiadmihi said:
:lol :lol :lol

Oh dear.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if Rockstar allows mods, there *will* be mods.

It just seems to me people like to speculate the hell out of this sort of thing, even before there's any real hints it's coming.

Cheeto said:
That's a good question. Maybe a better question is, why would anyone buy mods when you and your community can make and distribute them for free?

Because distributing official mods / paid DLC is illegal

Cheeto said:
My Point
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Your head

No, I think you missed the points I was trying to make.

First off, user made content and DLC are different things. You said why would people pay for mods? Because they want extra premium content. You can't get that stuff for free.

Secondly, people will pay for content if there's no other way around it (other than piracy).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
Oh it's a bunch of BS that's been brewing up for quite a while. That shit annoys me almost as much as this speculation BS.

1. You don't think the PC version of GTA4 will be the superior version, though the PC versions of 3, VC and SA were by miles.
2. You think GTA4 was a good game and any complaints about it are BS.

I'm starting to see the problem here.

Cheeto

Zero_Phoenix said:
First off, user made content and DLC are different things. You said why would people pay for mods? Because they want extra premium content. You can't get that stuff for free.
Really, because I didn't pay a dime for the 50 maps I got from Epic for UT2k4... or the maps for COD4... or the maps and game mode from Valve for Team Fortress 2... and the list goes on for miles.

Zero_Phoenix said:
Secondly, people will pay for content if there's no other way around it (other than piracy).
That's their problem.

Ysiadmihi said:
1. You don't think the PC version of GTA4 will be the superior version, though the PC versions of 3, VC and SA were by miles.
2. You think GTA4 was a good game and any complaints about it are BS.

I'm starting to see the problem here.

1. Personally I'd like to know a little more about this PC version before deciding if it's better or worse than the console versions. Many things have changed since GTASA was released and these aren't PS2 ports anymore. Personally I think anyone who assumes any version of a game will be made and that it will be the best version is a complete fool.

2. Not what I said at all, but nice strawman attack. It was a GREAT game, but there are many valid complaints about the game. I can't stand people who slander a game just because it was highly rated. You know there are people who actually say the controls in GTA4 were WORSE than GTA3, VC, and SA on consoles?

Cheeto said:
Really, because I didn't pay a dime for the 50 maps I got from Epic for UT2k4... or the maps for COD4... or the maps and game mode from Valve for Team Fortress 2... etc etc etc

Hey, I agree free content is best. Although didn't Nvidia pay for the COD4 content on the PC side?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
1. Personally I'd like to know a little more about this PC version before deciding if it's better or worse than the console versions. Many things have changed since GTASA was released and these aren't PS2 ports anymore. Personally I think anyone who assumes any version of a game will be made and that it will be the best version is a complete fool.

I have doubts it will be made. I have no doubts that if it is, it will be the best version easily. You're just holding out hope it will end up being a bad port it sounds like.

Zero_Phoenix said:
2. Not what I said at all, but nice strawman attack. It was a GREAT game, but there are many valid complaints about the game. I can't stand people who slander a game just because it was highly rated. You know there are people who actually say the controls in GTA4 were WORSE than GTA3, VC, and SA on consoles?

GTA4 was not a great game. I'm not slandering it because it was highly rated, I'm calling it what it is because I had such high hopes for the game after the godliness that was San Andreas and was served a steaming pile of shit.

It's not "BS" as you say. Plenty of people were truly disappointed with and didn't like GTA4. It stunk and I didn't like it.

Chiggs

Zero_Phoenix said:
Except who's to say any of those things (other than resolution AND FRAMERATE) will actually come true if the game does show up on PC?

Going by the history of the franchise on the pc, it will most likely happen. As far as the SA 2.0 thing goes, I can't say I ran into any problem with my copy of SA (Hot Coffee original). Tons of mods, tons of fun.

Ysiadmihi said:
I have doubts it will be made. I have no doubts that if it is, it will be the best version easily. You're just holding out hope it will end up being a bad port it sounds like.

GTA4 was not a great game. I'm not slandering it because it was highly rated, I'm calling it what it is because I had such high hopes for the game after the godliness that was San Andreas and was served a steaming pile of shit.

It's not "BS" as you say. Plenty of people were truly disappointed with and didn't like GTA4. It stunk and I didn't like it.

I'm not holding out hope for anything, I'm being realistic about the entire thing.

Do you really think GTA4 is a steaming pile of shit or is that hyperbole?

Chiggs said:
Going by the history of the franchise on the pc, it will most likely happen.

I can't say I ran into any problem with my copy of SA (Hot Coffee original).

I was just basing that upon the GTA3 port, because the game did get some really bad streaming problems with the frame limiter off. If it were nearly any other game the PC version could easily have the better FPS.

The Hot Coffee edition of SA had all the files laid out separately on the HDD if I remember right, while the 2.0 version had all the files in 1-5 massive files.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
I'm not holding out hope for anything, I'm being realistic about the entire thing.

Fair enough, but the chances of screwing up the PC port are so incredibly low that I find worrying about it silly. They'd have to screw up a ton to take away the advantages of mouse aim and mods alone.

Zero_Phoenix said:
Do you really think GTA4 is a steaming pile of shit or is that hyperbole?

It was a bad game imo. It felt like a chore to finish and I had no desire to go back to it after I beat it. There was barely any mission variety, tons of useless additions (internet? car wash? hanging out with friends? who gives a fuck?), some cutscenes before missions were WAY too fucking long (implying that story is much more important to Rockstar than actual gameplay) and the environments were just plain boring. Had VC and SA not been released I may have felt differently, but those games showed what Rockstar was capable of and this just ended up being a half-assed effort on their part.

DEO3

Lovin' dis.

Every big 360 game comes out on the PC eventually, usually with better visuals and a much more robust modding community. From Oblivion to Mass Effect, from
Devil May Cry to Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Grid, even Viva Pinata, and now GTA4. It's one of the major reasons I decided to upgrade my PC last month instead of buying a 360, and it looks like I made the right decision.

Now if only they'd just port Forza over..

Ysiadmihi said:
Fair enough, but the chances of screwing up the PC port are so incredibly low that I find worrying about it silly. They'd have to screw up a ton to take away the advantages of mouse aim and mods alone.

I don't think it'll be screwed up, but I have a lot of doubt that it will be significantly better than the console versions. The ports of GTA3, VC, and SA even got facelifts on the PC version, but I don't think that can be expected anymore. It's a matter of taste, but I never wanted to play the PC ports of 3VCSA with keyboard + mouse, I always used gamepads.

Ysiadmihi said:
It was a bad game imo. It felt like a chore to finish and I had no desire to go back to it after I beat it. There was barely any mission variety, tons of useless additions (internet? car wash? hanging out with friends? who gives a fuck?), some cutscenes before missions were WAY too fucking long (implying that story is much more important to Rockstar than actual gameplay) and the environments were just plain boring. Had VC and SA not been released I may have felt differently, but those games showed what Rockstar was capable of and this just ended up being a half-assed effort on their part.

Equal compared to other games people consider bad, or do you rate all games collectively lower than most people?

I think the replay is pretty bad in GTA4, but the game didn't irritate me nearly as many times as the previous GTA games. Like trying to kill the one mob boss in GTA3, sniping him from the building as the game intended didn't even work right, the bullets would go right through the guy's head and you had to take him out on ground level, usually with the help of a vehicle.

You can skip the extra BS just like you can skip the cutscenes in GTA4, do you know about the accept / cancel date trick?

bj00rn_

Banned
Jacobi said:
Wow@all the GTA4 hate, just unbelievable, especially after seeing all the hype going on on GAF

Yeah, I don't mind people having a different taste that may result in a dislike for games that "I" like, it's just a game; A highly subjectiv thing. But I still got to say that the hyperboles are really hard to make sense out of (Love or hate review score aggregators, when we're talking about a game which averages 98 out of 100 over 82 reviews on Metacritic, it's not just from inflation).

GTAIV "stinks"...? Really...? ...REALLY?? Come the fuck on...! :lol

With that said; I kinda miss the mission variety from the previous game, and I hope the DLC may rectify some of that.

Chiggs

DEO3 said:
Lovin' dis.
Every big 360 game comes out on the PC eventually, usually with better visuals and a much more robust modding community. From Oblivion to Mass Effect, from
Devil May Cry to Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Grid, even Viva Pinata, and now GTA4. It's one of the major reasons I decided to upgrade my PC last month instead of buying a 360, and it looks like I made the right decision.

Agreed. As an avid pc gamer, I personally love getting these console ports. Here's to Far Cry 2 and Mercs 2.

Chiggs said:
Agreed. As an avid pc gamer, I personally love getting these console ports. Here's to Far Cry 2 and Mercs 2.

I mean really, PC, 360, and PS3 share like 85% of all games, and the rest are exclusives. However, saying Far Cry 2 and Oblivion were EVER console (only) games is a big mistake.

aznpxdd

DEO3 said:

Yup, PC always ends up with the superior versions, even if it means we have to wait a bit. I actually prefer it that way, I hate being caught in the launch hype.

Chiggs

Zero_Phoenix said:
I mean really, PC, 360, and PS3 share like 85% of all games, and the rest are exclusives. However, saying Far Cry 2 and Oblivion were EVER console (only) games is a big mistake.

Yeah, I hear you. Maybe Far Cry 2 wasn't the best example, so I'll just throw DMC4 in its place. Mercs 2, though...definitely console.

Pimpbaa

Jacobi said:
Wow@all the GTA4 hate, just unbelievable, especially after seeing all the hype going on on GAF

They are all a bunch of fucking gaf sheep. Hating on something just because everyone else is hating on it. The game IS one of the better games this year. Can't wait to see the PC version.

Loudninja

Pimpbaa said:
They are all a bunch of fucking gaf sheep. Hating on something just because everyone else is hating on it. The game IS one of the better games this year. Can't wait to see the PC version.

I agree.

Dabanton

Pimpbaa said:

I wouldn't say i hate it as i love the MP player mode which i play every night

But the game as an experience is lacking after a while it's faults are too hard to deny, with so many things taken out of the game it has really shown up GTA:4 as slighty lacking in features.

In the single player mode once you reach the second island the story falls to shit after a perfectly placed beginning seeing Niko slowly make these contacts in the underworld it just becomes boring scripted chase after chase and Niko as a character begins to grate has the man no backbone most missions go like this.

Crime Boss:This man has insulted my dog go and kill his entire family.

Niko:Sure

At least with SA you could get away from the main storyline go off off-roading ,to the gym,go on a long cycle ride to the countryside,fly planes i mean you could fly a freakin jumbo jet ,go base jumping and the list went on...

A higher resolution or mods which are going to take an age to come out and will mostly be shit won't fix what is a very flawed experience.

I suspect that R* had more features in mind for GTA4 but there was no way anyone would have accepted a second delay...

Chiggs

Dabanton said:
A higher resolution or mods which are going to take an age to come out and will mostly be shit won't fix what is a very flawed experience.

Except you're making the assumption that we're all hoping for some singleplayer mod to come along and save the game. That's not the case for me. I just want more vehicles, weapons, etc. Just some crap to screw around with in a giant sandbox. That's all. A lot of the best SA mods were not total conversions or graphical upgrades.

And I think multiplayer could be very interesting with the pc gaming community.

aznpxdd said:
Yup, PC always ends up with the superior versions, even if it means we have to wait a bit. I actually prefer it that way, I hate being caught in the launch hype.
:lol People can justify anything in life.

Cheeto

nestea said:
So... what are the chances this would be on steam? Slim to none?
Well, all the other GTA games were recently released on Steam. I guess it would depend on how well they did.

nestea said:
So... what are the chances this would be on steam? Slim to none?

Take 2 has been very aggressive in getting their games on Steam and getting new games released on the day they show up in stores. Bioshock and Civ4:BtS were both released the day they came out in stores nationwide, and Bioshock in particular was the biggest Steam "release event" Valve ever had (up until Orange Box's release, which beat it).

Top Bottom