• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mall vs. Farmers Market

Jubenhimer

We've all been to a mall at one point. Those places that people (especially teenagers) go to that group some of the biggest store chains together under one roof. Then you also have a Farmers Market, at least, a specific kind of Farmers market like the one in my area. They carry similar items like food, clothing, electronics, entertainment, toys, etc. only it's smaller, more crowded, lacks all of the big store chains, and has a more underground atmosphere. Given the choice, which do you prefer to shop at?

Codes 208

Ill go to both. But as I live next to one of America’s biggest malls (MoA in Bloomington, MN) which just happens to be my go-to spot. I’ve got to vote for Malls.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate malls, so I usually shop at my local farmers market. There's a nice little weekly street market where I live, which is where I get my fresh food. I try to avoid big brand foodstuffs and the market is one of the few places where you can find nice artisan products and local specialties. Contrary to malls, the vendors know their stuff so they always have a new specialty to try out, like a nice artisan cheese from a small local producer or a nice slice from a home made smoked ham.

There's also a local beekeeper who produces his own honey and honey liquor, a dude who produces his own donkey milk soap and a local butcher who sells his own animal products. You usually get good advice or new products to try out, like a wild boar salami, a raw milk sheep cheese or a homemade marmalade. If you're a regular, you always get good prices, the food is clean and there's no unnecessary packaging.

It also means you kinda have to go with the seasons, not everything is available all the time especially during winter, but that's kinda part of the charm for me. The atmosphere is always very relaxed if you go outside the usual rush hours and you get to try most of the stuff before you buy it. Most market vendors are pretty chill and they usually specialize on one kind of product which means they know all about the regional products, the way how they are produced and the philosophy behind them.

I rarely go home disappointed in a product, knowing that I got something that was crafted with care and love. I also learn something new each time I go there, be it the beekeeper keeping me up to date on the well-being of his honey-bees or the butcher telling me a story about the hunter who procured the boar, or the cheese vendor who's gushing over this new cheese that he discovered from a small local farmer in the Alps.

I wish market culture were a bit more popular where I live, it's nothing compared to the wonderful markets you have in Italy for example. But it's good enough for your daily needs. Other stuff, like washing powder and hygiene articles, I buy in bulk at the mall, so I don't have to go there much often.

HarryKS

The thing about farmers' markets is that the products on offer aren't necessarily what they should be. It's very often people selling the same Monsanto treated products or reselling.

Papa

Banned
The thing about farmers' markets is that the products on offer aren't necessarily what they should be. It's very often people selling the same Monsanto treated products or reselling.

Sounds like you're going to the wrong markets.

jameswatson12

Neo Member
I will Choose both. Farmer market is a small market for selling agriculture product. A Mall is a chain of many shops and businessman.

I love farmers markets but I have seen several investigations showing how some are just using the same sources for produce as the supermarkets and calling it homegrown.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Wait since when do malls have food? Farmer's markets always have the best stuff, but never have I been to a mall with foodstuffs to purchase... or a Farmer's Market with electronic stuff.

Odd comparison. If it was Farmers Market vs. Grocery Store sure, but malls?

I dont think there's one mall complex in Virginia that even has a grocery store in it. Or any fresh food franchise.

Jubenhimer

Wait since when do malls have food? Farmer's markets always have the best stuff, but never have I been to a mall with foodstuffs to purchase... or a Farmer's Market with electronic stuff.
Odd comparison. If it was Farmers Market vs. Grocery Store sure, but malls?

I dont think there's one mall complex in Virginia that even has a grocery store in it. Or any fresh food franchise.

The Farmer's Market in my area, is much more like a Mall than a traditional outdoor food market. There's not only food stores and restaurants, but all sorts of other shops as well. There's quite a few Farmers Markets like it in other areas as well, so I guess it varies by location.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL.

People know that farmers sell to stores right? They aren't harvesting 100 acre plots of land to sell it from pick up trucks on Saturday afternoons.

All you're getting is side batches of fruit at 2x the price. The majority of their produce is sold to produce terminals or stores. They just sell off bits here and there to squeeze better profits from end users since produce has typical markups at stores of about 50%.

That batch of $0.99/lb apples a a store has a store cost around $0.50/lb. Those same apples (without the sticker assuming they peel it off before selling to you at a farmer's market), will be sold to you for probably $1.49.

They just sold you the same shit at 3x the price.

Oh, and watch out for packaging and UPC codes. Those are for stores.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
My wife used to sell her stained glass at one of the local markets but the cost of renting a space was so high it wasn't worth it in the end. It was a shame too because I went along with her a couple of times and it was fun.

Y'all should be watching this(if you want):

It basically shows you the other side farmers markets don't want their costumers to see.

Jubenhimer

Y'all should be watching this(if you want):

It basically shows you the other side farmers markets don't want their costumers to see.

I always saw "organic" as a superficial label that doesn't mean much. But some people always have to go "organic" not because it is right, but because it feels right. It's basically a form of virtue signaling, which in today's landscape, isn't much of a surprise.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope people realize "organic" doesn't mean no pesticides, herbacides, fertilzers or doesn't use fancy seeds.

Just because something is "organic", doesn't mean a farmer is trying to grow huge yields of crops similar to the natural boring way mom and dad growing a batch of shitty tomatoes in the backyard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom