• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Cannot Live on Nintendo Alone?

EDIT: Apparently I didnt make myself clear enough. This isn't a thread about gamers being Nintendo-only, but rather, if Switch loses 3rd party support the way Wii U and 3ds mostly have, will the system continue to be a viable platform. I apologize for any misconception or confusion.

I've seen many say over and over that the Switch will need to have 3rd party games for Nintendo to survive; and while I think they are extremely important, adding to the rich tapestry that is a console ecosystem, I don't know that Nintendo truly needs them. Nintendo gamers often complain about software droughts, and tend to attribute them to the lack of 3rd party content, but is this really true, or it more just part of the fact that Nintendo tries to serve too many masters in their own hardware environment? The Switch could possibly alleviate those woes, as Nintendo's internal studios will only have to focus on a single hardware when deciding what project to work on.

Below is a list of every Nintendo published game released since 2014(minus Wii U to 3DS ports I removed), long after most 3rd parties abandoned Nintendo. Now, imagine all these games on one console, instead of being split across 2 pieces of hardware.

Is it possible that, even if the Switch loses 3rd party devs, a single hardware ecosystem could still survive and thrive this time around?

Bayonetta 2
Bravely Default
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dedede's Drum Drash Deluxe
Disney Magical World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fantasy Life
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby Fighters Deluxe
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 8
NES Remix 2
Pokémon Art Academy
Pokémon Battle Trozei
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Pushmo World
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
Steel Diver: Sub Wars
Super Smash Bros. for 3ds/Wii U
Tomodachi Life
Wii Sports Club
Yoshi's New Island

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Art Academy: Home Studio
BOXBOY!
Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Devil's Third
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Flipnote Studio 3D
Fossil Fighters: Frontier
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
LBX: Little Battlers eXperience
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
Nintendo Badge Arcade
Pokémon Picross
Pokémon Rumble World
Pokémon Shuffle
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yo-kai Watch
Yoshi's Woolly World

BOXBOXBOY!
Bravely Second: End Layer
Disney Art Academy
Disney Magical World 2
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Fire Emblem Fates
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Lost Reavers
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Mario Party Star Rush
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Miitomo
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Picross 3D: Round 2
Pocket Card Jockey
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokkén Tournament
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
Super Mario Run
Swapdoodle
Tank Troopers
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE
Yo-kai Watch 2

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
You can live off Nintendo consoles if you are willing to ignore dozens of amazing 3rd party games.

I just need them to make great games. I have another console for other great games.
Hopefully little to no multiplats on on the Switch. Just exclusives.

KJRS_1993

That list of Nintendo published games mostly comprises of shit games nobody wants to play.
Mini Mario and Friends: Amiibo Challenge?

Wouldn't it help to include the major Japanese third-parties on 3DS as well. The majority of them are apparently on board for Switch.

Nintendo is massively lacking in sports games, they don't even really support that market with cartoon/non realistic games nowadays.

I think switch needs to get FIFA,Madden, and/or PES at a minimum.

Sanjuro

The Switch is most certainly going to lose third party support. It's basically Nintendo's version of the cycle.

Also, there is maybe a handful of games on that list which I would want to play.

Some couldn't without big third party titles. Theres no way it would be my only console, just a supplementary Nintendo exclusives console .

Ladekabel

I love Nintendo games. They are probably my favorite publisher/developer. They have a great and varied output imo. But I couldn't live from Nintendo alone. A few genres they don't support like FPS that I enjoy.

Vuze

What is this inside gag about? I see people replying with "Scorpio." all over the place to the most unrelated things

I couldn't "live" only on Nintendo but that's because I'm not very much into their IPs and a lot of the third party games I enjoy don't make it over to their platform.

---
A poster went to the PS4 sales thread and just posted "Scorpio" to bait/derail. It just becoma a meme due how random it was
I see, thanks.

brad-t

The big weakness in that list is the lack of different IP. Lots of great games many of which share the same art style and characters. Nintendo doesn't have enough IP diversity on its own.

I personally couldn't. But the company has enough games you can sink hours into to master if you'd really want to. like fire emblem or smash.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I couldn't survive on that output alone, I need a large library to pick and choose from for games that meet my tastes. I'm not just going to like or buy a game just because it was released by any one company.

Large 3rd party libraries mean a very large selection of titles and titles within subgenres to choose from, One company could not even come close to meeting that kind of requirement.

I couldn't. And I don't think any company could solely ignore the 3rd party market, especially when casual gamers comprise the profit pool more than hardcore gamers do.

AndrewPL

I could easily just play nintendo games and Indies if the output is as good as 2014 to 2016.

Sure you may miss out on witcher3, dark souls and mass effect (and sports games...) etc etc

But you can't possibly play all the games anyway.

Jawmuncher

I'd be in pure hell if that's all I could play. Since a good chunk of their output does not appeal to me at all.

I don't even buy nearly that many games per year. I could live on Nintendo alone, but I also play on PC. Im pretty much Nintendo exclusive with consoles as is. Excluding Japanese exclusives is a bit silly, because many times they never come to another platform. Add in those Capcom, SE, Namco, etc. games and that list of Nintendo games is fine for someone only playing Nintendo.

Gator86

That 2016 list is fucking embarrassing. If that's all I got to play last year, I probably would have quit gaming.

People are going to be so disappointed when the Switch droughts start happening. With only one company putting out games, a couple duds, delays, or just releases you're not interested in basically wrecks the release calendar.

LordRaptor

What is this inside gag about? I see people replying with "Scorpio." all over the place to the most unrelated things

An Xbox fan posted that in a Sony fan circlejerk topic.
Needless to say, its the funniest thing to happen all year for Sony fans, so they'll run it into the ground like every forced meme

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course you could...no one will die because he isnt playing enough games. But why would you ? If time and money arent an issue you will always get the system you need to play the games you wanna play.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Correct. There are far too many fantastic games on non-Nintendo systems, and Nintendo doesn't make the best games anymore. So no, definitely could NOT live on their games alone.

Calm Mind

You can live off Nintendo consoles if you are willing to ignore dozens of amazing 3rd party games.

0e3.png

I could happily live off 3DS + Wii U together, not separately though. There's more than enough to always be playing something throughout the year but there's a lot you would be missing out on either way. I would rather exclusively play Nintendo games than not play Nintendo games at all.

Nintendo makes great games, but it's not just about the games anymore. What makes PS4 so enticing for me is that beyond its huge library, there are also tons of deals they give out as well! I'm fairly certain there are deals on given out every weekend; good, high quality games, not 3DS shovelware. Not only that, but with PS4 you get free games every month, often times great indie games.

With Nintendo, you need to cough up the dough in order to play practically anything. Nintendo Selects are nice, but they don't usually come until the console is ending its lifetime.

While the Xbone and PS4 are more expensive than what Nintendo has to offer, they're actually cheaper alternative if you game often. Nintendo game prices are high af and never go down, often times going UP!

Yarbskoo

For me, PC is primary. Every other platform is secondary. Nintendo consoles are fine for this, and I doubt Switch will be any different.

Trace

Banned
I'd be in pure hell if that's all I could play. Since a good chunk of their output does not appeal to me at all.

Agreed. There are maybe 3-4 Wii U/3DS exclusives that I'm interested in per year. Would be a very sad gamer if that was all I could play.

Chase17

I probably couldn't now but have in the past. I don't think there is a single publisher I could solely subscribe to.

Compare one year of games that come to a Nintendo platform with the games that come to PSN or LIVE. Tell a non-platform diehard to ignore one of them. Nintendo platforms can't satiate gaming enthusiasts. PSN, LIVE, and Steam can, easily. Mostly due to getting a wide variety of great, good, and OK games in the hundreds. Nintendo gets like three to four good to great games a year.

A single Nintendo platform alone? Probably not.

The combined output of Nintendo alongside their usual 3rd-party Japanese stuff like MH, DQ, YW? Yes, I can.

Top Bottom