• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Cannot Live on Nintendo Alone?

FeMui

Banned
Just ask Ninbendo. Some say he owns 607 physical games. But this is only written within myths and legends.

Caelus

I don't think I could live on any publisher or any console alone.

Usually it's been Nintendo Console + Handheld + PC, although last gen I skipped the Wii U because... Wii U. So it's just been 3DS and PC, I didn't find myself missing out on too much.

Thankfully the Switch gives me both a console and handheld, and portable versions of some multiplatform games. Might still hold on to my 3DS though.

Also, as much as I love Nintendo and Zelda, their primary incentives for me to buy their consoles this gen were Zelda remakes and ports, very little new content. Granted, the remakes were awesome and truly brought the games to life like never before, but aside from ALBW and Triforce Heroes, we got no new Zelda content this gen. Hell, we got no new 3d Zelda content this gen! Gotta wait for Switch for that!

JusDoIt

Bravely Default
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. for 3ds/Wii U

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Bravely Second: End Layer
Fire Emblem Fates
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

12 games on that list are must buys for me. 12 games over 3 years.

Meanwhile, I've bought well over 100 titles for my PS4 in 3 years.

joecanada

Nintendo is massively lacking in sports games, they don't even really support that market with cartoon/non realistic games nowadays.

I think switch needs to get FIFA,Madden, and/or PES at a minimum.

Yeah I mean you can make a decent long list of games like op did but I'd be more interested in splitting them in categories and then saying OK for the guy who loves say sports games this is what you could get .... Pretty sure that list would start to look fairly short when split into categories

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It just comes down to personal interests.

Some love a ton of the games the op listed and don't much care for things like shooters, wrpgs, GTA/AssCreed type games, sports sims, racing sims, MOBAs, RTS games, simulation games, 4X games and all the other genres missing or underrepresented.

Others like just some of the games the op listed and can only have Nintendo as a complementary platform to their main(s).

Others care about few of the games listed and can do without owning Nintendo hardware.

Different strokes and all.

I fall in the middle category. In a good year there's around 2-5 Nintendo releases I care to play, so they're a secondary platform for me.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
A lot of Nintendo hardcore will say they don't need third party to be happy.

Delusion is a sickness of the mind.

To be fair, it's true for some people. I mean, the world has people who only listen to Nickelback, probably (what a horrifying existence).

But such fans are missing so many superior games with that loyalty. It's a shame.

Crayon

That's a healthy list of quality games but when everyone is talking about destiny 2 or overwhatch and Nintendo is the only place you can't play it then you have the same situation again.

If they can facilitate easy 3rd party ports and have the flavor of the month aaa games alongside all the nintendo games on one platform.... that will be incredible and the beginning of a real challenge to playstation.

Gartooth

I couldn't and I'm a fan that would probably never skip a Nintendo console. Starting with the Gamecube every Nintendo console I got was always my #2 pick for the generation because the biggest 3rd party games happen to be on every major platform but Nintendo's. I would sooner drop Mario which is my favorite gaming IP than give up what the rest of the industry has to offer.

EDIT: Regarding the original question of whether Nintendo could still make a popular platform without third parties, I don't think they can. It would ultimately come down to the hardware itself rather than Nintendo software anyway. So NSMB Wii sold a ton but that was only because motion controls got the install base set up for Nintendo to reap profits.

Nilaul

Man can certainly live on Nintendo consoles alone and they can be fully satisfied. Nintendo's first party is more then enough.

In a world where 1st party would be mostly shit then I guess you would have to fall back on third party (which is the case of Microsoft).

If you're interested in Nintendo's output, handheld JRPGs, visual novels, a handful of notable indie platformers, and little else, yeah, you can totally live on Nintendo systems alone.

Personally speaking, my gaming experience improved considerably once I started branching out to Steam in addition to Nintendo.

Tyeforce

You can live off Nintendo consoles if you are willing to ignore dozens of amazing 3rd party games.
You can also live off third-party games if you are willing to ignore dozens of amazing Nintendo games. It works both ways! We only have so much time and money to devote to gaming, and ultimately people are going to have to pick and choose the games they want to play. While not everyone will agree, Nintendo's got more than enough variety for me, and I can always count on enjoying their games.

Crayon

Man can certainly live on Nintendo consoles alone and they can be fully satisfied.

amish-family-in-buggy8.jpg

ReaperXL7

Man probably could, the real question is how much longer can Nintendo survive by only really offering Nintendo games to a dwindling user base.

You know Disney would probably love to snatch up Nintendo IP.Well...Mario and Pokemon.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's basically all I been playing sincxe the Super Nintendo, plus some pc ofc

perfectly content,. Bought an xbox in 2006 to play ME but that's about it

SuomiDude

You can live off Nintendo consoles if you are willing to ignore dozens of amazing 3rd party games.
When you have so many great 1st party games to play, you can do that pretty easily.There's only so much time and money you can spend on games afterall. Though gladly there's always some great 3rd parties as well, so it's a win-win situation.

Calm Mind

I am fortunate not to follow trends or worry about what my peers think of what I'm doing with my money because that would be stupid.

Nintendo + PC is great. even more now that the third parties that used to release PS exclusives are also releasing their games on Steam and Microsoft releasing their games on PC too.

chekhonte

Definitely not. But I also couldn't live by Sony alone or Microsoft alone either. The gaming food pyramid would be PC at the base, Sony above that, nintendo above that and the smallest would be microsoft.

120v

ultimately they're going to need 3rd party support to make headwind. unless their 1st party software is relegated to short and simple games they're not going to be able to crank out titles at a steady pace in this era. look at how long its taken to get BotW out the door, imagine them tackling multiple games of that scale

cireza

Banned
Nintendo can perfectly live without any third parties.

Nintendo can release new consoles and iterations of the same series again and again, and will still make very decent sales, and have a profitable activity. You don't need to be "the best selling console" to make a profit and have a long term business.

That being said, I really like Nintendo's efforts concerning third party developers. Having them make exclusive games like Bayonetta 2, W101, Hyrule Warriors or Tokyo Mirage is great. Those are all fantastic games, and those are the games I like the most on Wii U.

I hope that we will see the same kind of games on Switch.

Dynheart

Banned
At this point in my life I probably could. Back in the day I used to be a Nintendo/Sony guy each gen. Being a father, husband, full time student, and working...I just don't have time to dedicate hundreds of hours into gaming.

In the end, however, I enjoy Nintendo games the most. So if I had to cut my gaming down to one console, I wouldn't have an internal conflict going on. As for the rebuttal about missing so many games...I'm already missing the majority of the new releases (releasing too fast), and I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with Nintendo's output either (in actuality...I can't. I have a back log of 680ish games and haven't invested much into this gen yet).

TLDR: I would make due and be just fine.

i can't live off any single platform alone. honestly, i've been hard pressed to ever be bothered by Nintendo's lack of third party support, because I've never been in a situation where I didn't have those options elsewhere.

it makes me wonder how people who own other platforms are complaining about Nintendo when they clearly already own perfectly good options for playing every third-party offering under the sun.

No, it is not viable for them.

On another note, Nintendo needs to do a better job getting big indie game releases on Switch. Portable Rocket League, please.

JP

It's certainly possible to get along with just a Nintendo console but even looking at last year, I would have missed out on all of the games that I played the most. These are off the top of my head, I could have easily doubled that list if I wanted to.
  • Uncharted 4
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • The Witness
  • No Man's Sky
  • Caladrius Blaze
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titanfall 2
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Dirt Rally
  • Trackmania Turbo
  • Battle Garegga Rev.2016
  • DARIUSBURST CS
There is nothing that we know about the Switch that suggests this wouldn't be the same most years, obviously the occasional Nintendo game would end up in my list but at no point would it ever consist solely of Nintendo games, let alone first party Nintendo games.

This is all i bought from this list. I can't imagine having this as my only system....

Mario Kart 8

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker

nothing

Man can certainly live on Nintendo consoles alone and they can be fully satisfied. Nintendo's first party is more then enough.

What he/she said. Whatever floats your boat, a person can live on cell phones alone if they want.

But, as OP stated that wasn't the point of the thread. I think the Switch will perform the same as the Wii-U if it doesn't properly support third parties. And, knowing Nintendo it most certainly will not.

Perfect.

I guess you could say that I left Nintendo after the SNES when the 3rd parties moved on. It was clear that if I wanted to play offerings from Capcom, Konami, and Namco, the Nintendo 64 was not the platform to choose. The bright flash of brilliance that was the Dreamcast and the outright PS2 dominance further reinforced my decision to stay with something other than Nintendo (if I could only afford one console). The Wii and WiiU have offered nothing that changed my mind. I enjoy entries into Nintendo 1st party franchises, but I couldn't imagine an adolescence or the majority of my 20s without the Street Fighters, Ridge Racers, Tekkens, Metal Gears, and so on.

I did revisit Nintendo with the 3DS. However I moved on from the system after a little over a year of ownership, mostly due to the account system and region lock.

I realize that I don't represent everyone who plays videogames, but the numbers don't lie. 3rd party games matter to people and there are plenty of fantastic experiences beyond Nintendo's 1st and 2nd party offerings.

openrob

Honestly, I find it frustrating when people say things like - "Well if I only had a Nintendo console I would miss out on soo many games!" When that is the case for ANY console.

The Switch does need variety though and that is what Nintendo is missing out on - Nintendo, not me. I mean, I could live off of these games alone, but Nintendo cannot - they need variety to sell consoles and stay doing their thing.

Berordn

This is all i bought from this list. I can't imagine having this as my only system....

Mario Kart 8

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker

nothing

And as someone who's still playing Splatoon, MK8 and SMM somewhat regularly, I could be content.

If you're willing to miss out on big third-party games, the content in Nintendo's big hitters is not quickly expended.

kunonabi

On paper the Switch could be a viable option for a one-console Nintendo audience. However, recent trends in Nintendo's behavior the last year, the possibility of quality projects being gimped for mobile releases, the excessive amount of ports, and the change in internal culture and management give me pause. Hopefully the Jan event gives us a clearer and better picture of things to come.

JoeM86

On paper the Switch could be a viable option for a one-console Nintendo audience. However, recent trends in Nintendo's behavior the last year, the possibility of quality projects being gimped for mobile releases, the excessive amount of ports, and the change in internal culture and management give me pause. Hopefully the Jan event gives us a clearer and better picture of things to come.

What the hell? Where did that come from? Where's that possibility or did you just pull it out of your arse?

Also, what "excessive amount of ports"?

Calm Mind

This is bullshit even for NeoGAF.

Ansatz

I can write several paragraphs on why I genuinely prefer Splatoon over any other online multiplayer shooter, Mario Kart 8 over any other racing game, Smash as a fighter etc. But I can also see how easy it is to think that Nintendo's entry in each genre is one amongst a dozen great games, and in that scenario OP's assumption becomes laughable at best.

Personally though there's little reason for me to play on non Nintendo platforms, considering the few indie games that appeal to me tend to make an appearance. Even then the word indie used to be synonymous with exploring unique gameplay ideas which publishers refused to greenlight, such as Braid and World of Goo. These days indie seems to mean artsy and low budget versions of presentation based AAA mainstream games, meaning aspects such as art style, animation and atmosphere are the central selling points of those games.

I argue that Nintendo is also partially moving in this direction with stuff like Paper Mario that used to feature sophisticated gameplay systems but now only have humor going for them. In other words I played two games to completion last year and one of them was Gunman Clive 2.

Top Bottom