• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Cannot Live on Nintendo Alone?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
A couple of gens ago, I managed just fine with a Wii and DS. There's tons of games available, especially if you include the eShop offerings. (I own about 50 Wii retail games.) You could spend several hundred hours on Fire Emblem alone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why is the comparison to Wii U being made in the context of Switch when the upcoming platform is more of a successor to 3DS if anything?

Is it really a mystery to you?

You do know this replacing the Wii U right? Wii U is being phased out, not 3DS which apparently will continue to exist. Switch games are most likely to be $60 and the system is most likely to be priced like a console, which will be above what people are willing to pay for dedicated gaming handhelds.

Jetman

I don't understand the people here who say they only play Nintendo games so they could do it.
Is it a monetary reason why you guys won't try a different console? Is it some form of blind, devoted faith in the Nintendo brand to where you feel like your cheating on Nintendo if you try a Sony or Microsoft console?

kunonabi

I couldn't do it. There just isn't enough Nintendo games that interest me. A decent chunk of the games listed I have no interest in. Do Nintendo fans buy practically every Nintendo game?

I have for the most part on the Wii/WiiU/3DS. Basically the goodwill from the games I loved translated to me giving other games a shot that I typically would have skipped. Especially during the Wii era when they were at their most creative. Wii U's library was small enough to where buying everything really didn't break the bank aside from having to buy a Japanese Wii U to play Xenosaga X, Zero, and #Fe.

I did skip Federation Force on the 3DS though since it was obviously going to be ass.

I don't think the typical Nintendo fan buys everything though.

notaskwid

I can live without videogames at all just fine thanks. If my only option to play games was nintendo and I wanted to play them then it would be fine as well.

psyfi

Banned
I haven't cared about Nintendo's lack of third party support since the GC, probably. I'm cool with it. Though of course I'd like more options of where to buy my multiplat games.

Hazu

Even though I own a Playstation 4, I spend 99% of my time playing Nintendo games or World of Warcraft. And I live just fine that way.

I don't understand the people here who say they only play Nintendo games so they could do it.
Is it a monetary reason why you guys won't try a different console? Is it some form of blind, devoted faith in the Nintendo brand to where you feel like your cheating on Nintendo if you try a Sony or Microsoft console?

It's more about the Nintendo ecosystem being good enough there is little desire to spend more for less quality in many cases.

itshutton

As an adult who works full time with a family etc. I probably only get to play half of the games I buy for PS4 alone. I might get a Switch but realistically a Nintendo platform will never be my primary console again.

Live on? lol

These are video games. We don't need them to live at all. If video games were gone tomorrow, yes, it would absolutely fucking suck. I would feel that for years to come, but life would go on. We would find other things things to do with our free time, and I'm sure we already have some(hope you do).

Platy

You do know this replacing the Wii U right? Wii U is being phased out, not 3DS which apparently will continue to exist. Switch games are most likely to be $60 and the system is most likely to be priced like a console, which will be above what people are willing to pay for dedicated gaming handhelds.

It is replacing BOTH.

The wii U was released before they stopped production on the wii.

List of game released for the wii AFTER the wiiu was released in NA
VMqAMIa.png

Also 250 dollars was the release price of the 3DS ...

If you have a preference for certain kinds of games (2d platformers, party games, etc) I could see you being content with Nintendo alone. There are types of games that can really only be found on Nintendos platforms.

That said, I could easier go without Nintendo than with Nintendo only.

When it comes to gaming though, I could survive with almost anything. I remember a few years back I was on holidays and all I had was a Game Boy Colour with a few games. I had a great time, and the restriction really made me get into the games I had in a way I otherwise wouldn't have.

Nintendo makes great games, but it's not just about the games anymore. What makes PS4 so enticing for me is that beyond its huge library, there are also tons of deals they give out as well! I'm fairly certain there are deals on given out every weekend; good, high quality games, not 3DS shovelware. Not only that, but with PS4 you get free games every month, often times great indie games.

With Nintendo, you need to cough up the dough in order to play practically anything. Nintendo Selects are nice, but they don't usually come until the console is ending its lifetime.

While the Xbone and PS4 are more expensive than what Nintendo has to offer, they're actually cheaper alternative if you game often. Nintendo game prices are high af and never go down, often times going UP!

It's not free when you have to pay.

EDIT:

That's my list... Lost my job in 2016 ç.ç

[

Bayonetta 2
Bravely Default
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fantasy Life
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby Fighters Deluxe
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 8
Pokémon Battle Trozei
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
Super Smash Bros. for 3ds/Wii U
Wii Sports Club

Art Academy: Home Studio
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Flipnote Studio 3D
Mario Party 10
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
Pokémon Rumble World
Pokémon Shuffle
Splatoon
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Fire Emblem Fates
Lost Reavers
Miitomo
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokkén Tournament
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

I'm a nintendo + pc gamer. But I only play old games on pc, so yeah, I think I could. But I don 't think most people would be satisfied.

Live on? lol

These are video games. We don't need them to live at all. If video games were gone tomorrow, yes, it would absolutely fucking suck. I would feel that for years to come, but life would go on. We would find other things things to do with our free time, and I'm sure we already have some(hope you do).

The title was a hyperbolic spin on a Bible verse. Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

Clearly video games are not vital to life and are nothing but a fleeting pastime. I don't know that you'll find someone who thinks otherwise on here. Stop being so literal.

i-Jest

EDIT: Apparently I didnt make myself clear enough. This isn't a thread about gamers being Nintendo-only, but rather, if Switch loses 3rd party support the way Wii U and 3ds mostly have, will the system continue to be a viable platform. I apologize for any misconception or confusion.

Depends on what first and second party support the console will have, and how wide range appeal these first and 2nd party games will have. Well that's how I see it.

Nintendo needs to come strong with the Switch. Judging by the reveal trailer, young adults and older adults are the main demographic. They better have the software to turn heads in that demographic because Sony is not looking to lose market share.

Ryuuga

Banned
Certainly it will be viable to the faithful forever set in their ways. Though personally, an MH release makes the relics Nintendo call hardware viable.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I certainly wouldn't want to be restricted to just Nintendo's output, that's for sure.

They produce some well-made games for sure, but most of them don't resonate with me at all.

BigEmil

Just Nintnedo console alone...no don't think I'll be able to do that, there's quite some Nintendo franchises I'm very tired of and refuse to play another of its series for a long while but no doubt they would get endless sequels

You can live with Nintendo only. Theoretically are enough good games in there to keep you occupied for a while if you want to.
Would many people want to though? Literally every non Nintendo current platform has a bigger and more diverse roster of games.
There way too many genres that dont ever appear at all on Nintendo platforms. Not everyone is satisfied with just Mario Zelda and JRPGs.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ultimately it probably boils down to: will the Switch be a repeat of the DS. Not in terms of total units sold, but in terms of being used to stealth-retire the previous portable brand.

If Nintendo really doesn't make another dedicated portable and literally everything goes ONLY to the Switch, well, fuck. There's no way that isn't a mountain of software.

I understand why people *want* Mario and Zelda to be on the same platform as every major third-party game, simply for the price and convenience of not having to buy multiple consoles.

What completely baffles me is why anyone would be surprised or particularly upset by a Nintendo console failing to deliver that, given the last two decades of the company's history.

petran79

Banned
Depends also on the price. Will games have a price similar to 3DS or Wii U games? Or something inbetween?

30-40$? 50-60$? Or 40-50$? I hope 50$ is the max for their flagship games. Even so they'll face a tough competion in desktop consoles, considering similar games there will be much cheaper. Whereas in portables mobile games couldnt offer anything similar.

ksamedi

I could see the switch take off with the 30+ crowd. Switch is very flexible to use. I didnt even know I wanted something like this but it fits my needs perfectly. It will be a hit with the kids but also for people with kids or a busy life in general. So Im hoping publishers and also Nintendo sees the potential in this and market it properly so that people buy major third party games on it. If stuff like FIFA or Battlefield cant sell a million copies on it, then it will have trouble getting significant support.

zeexlash

Nintendo's games alone pretty much make their systems essential for me, couldn't miss the next 3D Mario game for example.

xevis

Banned
Who would want to play those when they can play Rhythm Heaven Megamix to tide them over until Zelda comes out?

I think you're joking but I wold totally choose Rhythm Heaven Megamix over Witcher or Dark Souls. Every. Single. Time. Especially Dark Souls. Yeesh.

EDIT: Apparently I didnt make myself clear enough. This isn't a thread about gamers being Nintendo-only, but rather, if Switch loses 3rd party support the way Wii U and 3ds mostly have, will the system continue to be a viable platform. I apologize for any misconception or confusion.
No.

Sure initially the indoctrinated that will buy any that has the Nintendo name will buy it and the games. But it needs to have 3rd party support to bring along everybody else and stay viable.

Look I love Nintendo games but I don't love ALL Nintendo games, I learned this hard lesson when I got a Wii before a PS360 and learned that Nintendo just couldn't offer enough games through the year to keep me happy.

Is it some form of blind, devoted faith in the Nintendo brand to

That's what I've seen.

I realized I need to add some of these Nintendo fanboys to my ignore list. Nothing of value will be lost to me.

There are many, many Nintendo fans that are reasonable; I'll share gaming conversations with them. Fanboys be damned.

A couple of gens ago, I managed just fine with a Wii and DS. There's tons of games available, especially if you include the eShop offerings. (I own about 50 Wii retail games.) You could spend several hundred hours on Fire Emblem alone.

3ds and Wii u especially are a far cry from the DS and Wii era, unfortunately. Third parties were arguably better than Nintendo on the DS , but they seemed to dial back the number of releases on 3ds and they're practically nonexistent on Wii u whereas they were everywhere on Wii (albeit at seriously varying quality).

Astral Dog

I been playing lots of PS4/PC lately,but despite many games,feel like something is missing.

I miss Nintendo its not the same without them 😢

jdmonmou

I honestly don't get why people say that a Nintendo console could be fine without strong 3rd party support. If Nintendo doesn't care about 3rd party they should just stop making hardware and become a publisher.

Triteon

Bayonetta 2
Bravely Default
Fantasy Life
Mario Kart 8
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Devil's Third
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Bravely Second: End Layer
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Fire Emblem Fates
Star Fox Zero
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE

They are the only games I was/am interested in on that list, some of them ended up pretty bad but I can make the case that they are games which I would/will generally like the themes or gameplay

Could I have gotten by just playing those video games and nothing else over the last three years? Probably, but gaming wouldn't have been anywhere near my main past time. I would have likely spent more time wood carving or working in the garden than playing video games.

Also I'd hope that the switch gets JP support in line with what the 3DS got, so we don't have to rely on Nintendo published games.

Hip Hop

No, I couldn't.

I do like first party games, but from any console company, I mainly play third party titles.

Those are essential to me.

Every generation I end up buying a Nintendo console or handheld. I can never justify both because the libraries will end up being so similar, but there are always a handful of games on the other system that I want to play. It's really exciting to me that with the Switch I can just buy the one system and have access to all of the games Nintendo is making. Plus I'm hoping that the games will be even better because they won't have to make 2 versions of everything. If they don't fuck up the virtual console again I think the Switch could end up having the best Nintendo library since the SNES, with or without 3rd parties.

Petrae

Nope. I don't universally like all Nintendo games. I need sports games (which Nintendo only produces as long as Mario is in them), and those are few and far between. I've never been a big Zelda fan, and would rather play a more traditional RPG (like Persona games).

I need more than just Nintendo games if I'm going to dump $250+ on a Nintendo console. If it's mostly or all Nintendo titles, I can easily skip it. Skipping WiiU was the first time I missed out on a Nintendo platform, and skipping the Switch is a major possibility unless Nintendo proves that it can keep its third-party partners around for longer than a few months.

PetrCobra

Actually, it might replace both if it's successful enough. They are basically pulling a DS-like "third pillar" fairy tale. If Switch fails, 3DS line continues like nothing ever happened. If it doesn't, 3DS line gets quietly discontinued. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom