• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man...how the fuck did disney fuck up their starwars trilogy so bad?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Look, i know discussing starwars is even more sensative than discussing politics or religion, but i was just thinking about disney’s starwars output. The force awakens was good if not entirely original. Last jedi made some controversial choices but ultimatley it wasn’t terrible, but rise of skywalker...good fucking god. For a multi billion dollar franchise how the fuck did they manage to fart out that conclusion? It felt like it paid no mind to the plots in the two films before. J.J. And rian johnson Just did whatever the fuck they wanted and ultimatley came up with a story that satisfied no one. Fin was a great character and he recieved no love at all in that film, and bringing the emperor back...THEN BACK TRACKING TO SAY IT WASN’T ACTUALLY THE EMPEROR AFTER THE FACT?! Fuck, the prequels may be dog shit, but at least they were consistant in their story telling. I just cant believe there was no plan in place for this story over three films. Its like they focused on making a good nostalgia pandering flick first then were like “oh fuck now we have to finish the story”. Im frustrated because there was potential for all these films to be great, but some how disney chose to risk the reception to one of their most expensive purchases ever rather than making an effort to tell a consistent story in these films. Idk, madalorian was great, rogue one was pretty good, maybe they should just stick to tv shows and spin offs and leave the main line films to competent story tellers who plan things out in advance.

Ps: also, the empire, again!? Thats your force of bad guys? How fucking lazy

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
One thing they did right with the new Star Wars movies was use the Enter key when writing the scripts.
Ive largely ignored the controversy online around these movies. Sort of taking them as they are, but man upon critical examination, its baffling that they could not tell a consistent sensible story with all the time and money they had

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Quit while you’re ahead. There’s a thousand threads on this already.

I can summarize it like this:

1. No, there was no plan in place. Never was.

2. Woke has a stranglehold on Disney right now. It fucked up episode 8 and 9 and they just fucked up the only good thing left (the mandalorian) with more woke.

It’s time to stop watching Star Wars. That’s really all there is to it.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Quit while you’re ahead. There’s a thousand threads on this already.

I can summarize it like this:

1. No l, there was no plan in place. Never was.
2. Woke has had a stranglehold on Disney right now. It fucked up episode 8 and 9 and they just fucked up the only good thing left (the mandalorian) with more woke.

That’s really all there is to it.
Lol i bet even the lunatics on tumblr could write better fan fiction than this shitty story

Kreen101

Look, i know discussing starwars is even more sensative than discussing politics or religion, but i was just thinking about disney’s starwars output. The force awakens was good if not entirely original. Last jedi made some controversial choices but ultimatley it wasn’t terrible, but rise of skywalker...good fucking god. For a multi billion dollar franchise how the fuck did they manage to fart out that conclusion? It felt like it paid no mind to the plots in the two films before. J.J. And rian johnson Just did whatever the fuck they wanted and ultimatley came up with a story that satisfied no one. Fin was a great character and he recieved no love at all in that film, and bringing the emperor back...THEN BACK TRACKING TO SAY IT WASN’T ACTUALLY THE EMPEROR AFTER THE FACT?! Fuck, the prequels may be dog shit, but at least they were consistant in their story telling. I just cant believe there was no plan in place for this story over three films. Its like they focused on making a good nostalgia pandering flick first then were like “oh fuck now we have to finish the story”. Im frustrated because there was potential for all these films to be great, but some how disney chose to risk the reception to one of their most expensive purchases ever rather than making an effort to tell a consistent story in these films. Idk, madalorian was great, rogue one was pretty good, maybe they should just stick to tv shows and spin offs and leave the main line films to competent story tellers who plan things out in advance.

Ps: also, the empire, again!? Thats your force of bad guys? How fucking lazy
Made-by-committee movies, based on 70 % market research, and 30 % woke ideology. That's your answer.

Umbasaborne

Banned
By not establishing a proper plan or sticking to said plan

i just dont get it, if i made a massive acquisition and needed to tell a new story in one of the most important fictional franchises in all of media i would put more care into it. The need a good spear head for these films like feige does with marvel

ManaByte

Gold Member
i just dont get it, if i made a massive acquisition and needed to tell a new story in one of the most important fictional franchises in all of media i would put more care into it. The need a good spear head for these films like feige does with marvel

Even when George Lucas was in charge of Star Wars there was never a plan. The OT was made up as they went along, and the only thing they had planned in the Prequels was that Obi-Wan and Anakin had to fight at the end. Even then they had to shoot an insert of Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's saber because Lucas forgot he gave it to Luke in A New Hope.

wvnative

Yeah it's strange. Disney could have done so much better.

Imotekh

They just obviously did not have a coherent plan for the trilogy. The first film is also essentially a waste of time since it was just a new hope repackaged with some names changed, so it had entirely flawed foundations.

They upset everyone with their poor handling of the legacy characters essentially making you wish they weren't in it.

It's very obvious that the third and second films come from completely different places at odds with each other. Lastly, any hope that you could just ignore the story and enjoy the spectacle is ruined because even the action sequences make it entirely clear that so much of what you have seen up till then was entirely pointless.

Even the fight choreography really doesn't hold up. Just muddled, uninspired and devoid of the [admittedly flawed] magic that George Lucas could have worked.

Captive audience. They know Star Wars fans will bitch and moan but buy anything with the Millenium Falcon and Luke Skywalker. And they were proved right. All they have to do is bring out CGI Luke and all is forgiven. Rise of Skywalker was maybe the worst film of all time and yet people are still on board after some OT memberberries and Clone Wars cameos. Even the Fandom Menace are still consumers of their product.

They know fans will buy anything so why should they put in any effort?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The first film is also essentially a waste of time since it was just a new hope repackaged with some names changed, so it had entirely flawed foundations.

George was going originally make Episode VII himself and then sell the company to someone to finish the trilogy. The Last Jedi is very similar to his Episode VII (with Kira finding hermit Luke who was even crazier than he was in TLJ) and then Luke dying in his Episode VIII. Imagine the internet meltdowns if George's version of TLJ was the first new Star Wars in a decade.

Rey was originally named Kira and Daisy actually filmed scenes as Kira in TFA. They changed it and reshot those scenes when Disney found out they couldn't trademark the Kira name (and then brought it back in Solo as they could trademark Qi'ra).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Like most companies today, the old talent got old/retired and the new people just don't have IT.

Not true, the best modern Star Wars movies are the two that AREN'T part of the trilogy. They need to focus on standalones (which can connect to the larger universe), and that's what they're doing going forward with the D+ series, Rogue Squadron, and the Taika and Feige movies. Trilogies are done and they should've been from the start. They were clinging to an old way of doing franchise movies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Eh. That’s good to know, but I do find it telling that they invited Kennedy to be a keynote speaker and had everyone where those shirts. Like if it’s not the Air Force then how does it make any sense outside of a Star Wars reference?

Because of the names of the shoes it was promoting:
The campaign also unveils a new Ultraforce Mid set to drop January 5 for $110 USD, as well as a new SF Air Force 1 WMNS-exclusive colorway set to launch January 19 for $165 USD.

BigBooper

The new movie collection is pretty good if you only ever watch the first one. Glad I never got around to the others.

pr0cs

Catering to an audience that has zero interest in the content killed the series. Throwing away 40 years of canon just so they could shoehorn in concepts that the series originally had no interest in talking about. Disney at this point is a lost cause, it will be a cold day in hell before I give them a nickel for any of their new content

Rival

Gold Member
I’m sure I’m in the minority but the only Star Wars movie that I ever though was any good was ESB. The rest were either bad or maybe average movies that might have had a few cool scenes. I always felt the originals and prequels were Influenced due to the nostalgia of playing with the awesome toys from when I was a kid. The toys were amazing. I have zero desire to ever watch another Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens was the only watchable one of the Disney Trilogy. The other two sucked. Solo and Rogue were nothing special.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Throwing away 40 years of canon

They didn't do that. They threw out the shitty licensed fan fiction "canon" (which was never canon to begin with).

Ionian

I nearly walked out of the cinema something I've had never done.

It's been talked about to the death but here's why for me.

- It was boring.
- Fuck Canto Blight, actors were fine but it was pointless and made zero impact on the story. Freed some space horses or something. Some kid is cool at sweeping because he has force powers. (Never explained)

Throne room scene was awesome, shocked me.

Then he wasn't real anyway and it was just a joke, haha. Got you! Palpatine is into pickling Snoke (Or something never explained).

Rey was no one then someone then someone else.

Ben's dead, no he's back alive! Nope he's dead again ... oh he's alive again. And now he's dead again.

And the Tatooine scene, Rey Skywalker? She's a bloody Palpatine. (Again, zero explanation).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They had no plan. They need a Kevin Feige.
This is the answer. They kept throwing different ideas and directors at the wall to see what sticks. No central vision or plan until Mandalorian came along. Now they have a plan with series and movies set up in place, but have to write extremely good stories around a shoddily planned and written sequel trilogy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Wasn't Rey supposed to be a Kenobi at some point? Swear I saw Daisy Ridley say that in an interview with ign or the like. They had no idea what they wanted to do other than make lots of moeny.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wasn't Rey supposed to be a Kenobi at some point?
No that was just a fan theory pushed by Anthony Breznican when he was with Entertainment Weekly.

George's concept of Kira was ALWAYS a no-name orphan who finds an adoptive family through the trilogy because he spent twenty years raising three kids he adopted, two of which were girls.

Last edited:

showernota

I liked TFA, and ROS is a fascinatingly enjoyable trainwreck of a blockbuster. I'd have preferred a good trilogy though lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
I liked TFA, and ROS is a fascinatingly enjoyable trainwreck of a blockbuster. I'd have preferred a good trilogy though lol

The OT wasn't even really a "trilogy". ANH is pretty standalone. ESB is a cliffhanger with a serious tone, and ROTJ is a goofy Muppet movie.

Kev Kev

eh, it was fine. TFA has aged beautifully, i really love that movie. TLJ is right behind TESB for me, and RoS had a corny ending, but endings to long running series are always shit these days for whatever reason. it was fine for what it was and im ready for disney to move on from the OT and skywalker and start really exploring the SW universe. the ST wasnt as great ast could have been but its far from "completely fucked up". cant wait to see where the SW series goes form here tho!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Tried to make it like a Marvel movie but they needed to treat it like Lord of the Rings.

thats a good way too look at it, it was probably more difficult since they werent adapting books. But if they needed more time to tell a cohesive story then they should have taken it

Top Bottom