• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man in Berlin cured of AIDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
13legend-600.jpg

Three Years Later

This is absolutely amazing.

Gas prices are down, Obama got voted in, and AIDS may finally be curable.

Great time to be alive.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
trupclow said:
I'm curious, since AIDs is a virus, can't it mutate, making it nearly impossible to cure? I mean, the flu and the common cold havent been cured yet. If I'm wrong correct me, I'd love to have a cure for AIDs, but I just thought it wasn't possible right now.
part of the reason why HIV is so difficult for the immune system to defeat and for the scientific community to develop a vaccine for is because it does such a poor job at accurately replicating its RNA that mutations occur far more often than in other organisms, so much that several dozen strains of the virus can be found inside a person by the time they die from an opportunistic infection.

woodchuck

but for HIV to mutate within the body, it needs access to the host cells. without CCR5 on the surface of the host cells, HIV can't enter the host cells.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
woodchuck said:
but for HIV to mutate within the body, it needs access to the host cells. without CCR5 on the surface of the host cells, HIV can't enter the host cells.
precisely.

Let's just hope it doesn't mutate to bind to multiple receptors :p

Fucking A!!! My mother just (as in last week) had a bone marrow transplant for leukemia and hopes to have her arthritis cured. She will have to be re-vaccinated against everything, will change blood types, and be shown as "male" in blood work tests. So far, so good.

esbern

guys....whenever you see an AIDs patient, or cancer patient, or whatever cured, please read the entire article.

first off:
Blocking CCR5 might have side effects: A study suggests that people with the mutation are more likely to die from West Nile virus. Most worrisome: The transplant treatment itself, given only to late-stage cancer patients, kills up to 30% of patients. While scientists are drawing up research protocols to try this approach on other leukemia and lymphoma patients, they know it will never be widely used to treat AIDS because of the mortality risk.

Second:
You will see from here that the article recommends the dread "GEENNNNEEE THERAPPYY"

The moment you throw that word in, the public gets scared, and a boogie monster approach to the drug is immediately apparent.

Third:
The FDA takes a significant amount of time to test. On average, a discovery to market time is about 10 years. However, with this test, due to the mortality and....well....

And most of all:
In 1989, Dr. Rossi had a case eerily similar to the one in Berlin. A 41-year-old patient with AIDS and lymphoma underwent radiation and drug therapy to ablate his bone marrow and received new cells from a donor. It is not known if those cells had the protective CCR5 mutation, because its relation to HIV hadn't been discovered yet. But after the transplant, HIV disappeared from the patient's blood. The patient died of his cancer 47 days after the procedure. Autopsy tests from eight organs and the tumor revealed no HIV.In 1989, Dr. Rossi had a case eerily similar to the one in Berlin. A 41-year-old patient with AIDS and lymphoma underwent radiation and drug therapy to ablate his bone marrow and received new cells from a donor. It is not known if those cells had the protective CCR5 mutation, because its relation to HIV hadn't been discovered yet. But after the transplant, HIV disappeared from the patient's blood. The patient died of his cancer 47 days after the procedure. Autopsy tests from eight organs and the tumor revealed no HIV.

Sorry guys, but this is not the cure.

KHarvey16

esbern said:
guys....whenever you see an AIDs patient, or cancer patient, or whatever cured, please read the entire article.

first off:

Second:
You will see from here that the article recommends the dread "GEENNNNEEE THERAPPYY"

The moment you throw that word in, the public gets scared, and a boogie monster approach to the drug is immediately apparent.

Third:
The FDA takes a significant amount of time to test. On average, a discovery to market time is about 10 years. However, with this test, due to the mortality and....well....

And most of all:

I think you should maybe give that another read.

Blader

esbern said:
And most of all:

Did you even read what you were quoting? The patient had HIV and cancer. He was given the "cure." Then, when he died from his cancer, the autopsy revealed no signs of HIV in his body.

that's awesome. Now let's get back in time and save Freddie Mercury, pllllease

speculawyer said:
This meme needs to stop . . . too many idiots won't realize we are joking. :lol

I just hope some of you guys realize you are joking :lol

Esbern has the right idea; in its current application a bone marrow transplant isn't a practical treatment for AIDS. It's almost analogous to having bariatric surgery to cure diabetes--you gotta be so far down the spectrum of end-course disease for the treatment to show effect. Treating HIV+ with pills (while still having a measurable CD4 count) will be far more cost-effective than going through a bone marrow transplant, especially when current mortality is friggin' 30% with transplant and dealing with potential side effects like graft-versus-host disease. It's absolutely unbelievable what the research community has done in the past 15-20 years in antiretroviral pharmaceuticals.

Valcrist

In terms of gene therapy, they've already established proof of principle. Another team has successfully used genetic engineering to splice the HIV DNA straight out of the host cell. Now the question remains whether or not they can design a method of targeting infected cells, a main problem being those dormant ones.
Hopefully, we'll see more funding in gene-related reserach once the stigma dies along with older generations.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
esbern said:

first off:

Second:

Third:

And most of all:

this does seem to be a cure. but its not a very effective, or practical cure. the main thing is that it seems to prove that scientists are on the right track towards developing a feasible cure.

lordmrw

Its not the cure I'm worried about, as I feel its only a matter of time, its what'll come after to fucking kill us I'm worried about. Watch it be some super strain of AIDS that kills you as soon as you contract it.

lordmrw said:
Its not the cure I'm worried about, as I feel its only a matter of time, its what'll come after to fucking kill us I'm worried about. Watch it be some super strain of AIDS that kills you as soon as you contract it.

Think about what you've said in the bolded and then realize why that would be a good thing.

Then be embarassed. :p

Xater

sonarrat said:
The guy had cancer AND AIDS and they still treated him? I would've just taken it as a sign that I wasn't meant for this world. Instead this guy perseveres, and as a result we may have a cure for AIDS. Incredible.

Universal healthcare at work right there. ;)

This is great news though. Go science!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom