• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Man In Capitol Mob Fired After Wearing His Company ID Badge To Riot

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

"A Maryland printing company has fired one of its employees and contacted the FBI after learning he was a member of the mob that broke into the U.S. Capitol building on Wednesday, a fairly easy discovery since the man wore his work ID badge during the well-photographed attempt to derail Congress’ certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

After the mob forced its way into the Capitol, photographers captured a striking image of several people standing defiantly in a hallway, including so-called “Q Shaman” Jake Angeli, a Trump protest regular whose Viking horns and face paint have turned him into a minor celebrity among believers of the QAnon conspiracy theory.
A man carrying a Trump campaign flag stood next to Angeli, and some Twitter users quickly realized he was also wearing what appeared to be an ID badge from the Maryland-based direct mail printing company Navistar Direct Marketing.

Navistar confirmed Thursday one of its employees was spotted at the Capitol, writing in a Facebook post that the man (whom Navistar did not identify) was fired for cause.
Navistar has reached out to the Federal Bureau of Investigationabout the man, a company spokesperson told Forbes (D.C. police identified him Thursday morning as a person of interest for unlawful entry into the Capitol).

“[Any] employee demonstrating dangerous conduct that endangers the health and safety of others will no longer have an employment opportunity,” Navistar wrote on Facebook.

Local and federal authorities are working to identify the Trump supporters who broke into the Capitol building and forced members of Congress to take shelter. The mob was heavily photographed by both journalists and participants, flooding social media with images the Federal Bureau of Investigation and D.C. police are now trying to use to track down suspects, though U.S. Capitol Police arrested just 14 people on Wednesday."

Horns

I drop hot takes hoping you'll argue with me. Just ignore me.
Jun 23, 2010
Actions have consequences. If you're going to protest and break the law bad things may happen. Breaking into the Capitol with hundreds of deranged individuals after your dear leader incited you then you should expect it.

There are a bunch of groups right now shifting through photos and video in order to report people. There's a nice reward for some of them too. Getting them fired is just icing on the cake. We should expect a bunch of that. It happened after Charlotte incident too.

It's Jeff

Aug 28, 2015
With good reason. You want a fuck up like this near the register? Talking to customers? Have access to the toner cartridges? Hell no.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
Surely the guy had taken some time off to go to this protest. Why the fuck would anyone wear their work ID stuff?

Sounds like this guy wouldn't have lasted long at that job anyway.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
CNN has an article up about more being fired/resigning in relation to the events at the Capitol:

A Texas attorney named Paul Davis is no longer employed at his company, Goosehead Insurance, after social media posts appeared to show him talking about his participation in Wednesday's events. In one video, Davis says, "we're all trying to get into the Capitol to stop this."

Rick Saccone, a former Pennsylvania state representative, shared images on his Facebook pageof himself outside the Capitol. Saint Vincent College, where Saccone served as an adjunct professor, immediately began an investigation, according to Michael Hustava, the institution's Senior Director of Marketing and Communications.
"As a result of that investigation, Dr. Saccone has submitted and we have accepted his letter of resignation, effective immediately. He will no longer be associated with Saint Vincent College in any capacity," Hustava said in a statement provided to CNN.

Americans in positions of power are also being disciplined for their support of the violence, even if they weren't at the Capitol. The Texas Republican Party removed Walter West, its Sergeant-At-Arms, from his position after West made comments on Facebook supporting the Capitol siege.

Reactions: Robot Carnival

Super Mario

Banned
Nov 12, 2016
What a dumbass. You know, this would have been a great time to wear a mask...and not wear your fucking work ID.

Exactly my thoughts. Probably one of the few times in history where you could storm the capitol, with a mask, and probably never hear about it again. Instead, you barge in with your face, and name badge. Next time, have your social security number tattooed on you so we can get all info a little easier.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Just look at that loaded language in the headline. People need to understand these word choices are used to shape your mind.

It looks like in that photo he is standing around in a public building open to the public.

Last edited:

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
I think they fired him because they realized they had that stupid of an employee.

And yet he walked right in, seemingly unarmed. Really says something about the importance of presenting an image of being unconquerable than actually being unconquerable.

Bunch of images of elected officials cowering in the face of unarmed, uncoordinated, silly people has to be such an ego blow to the idiots in Washington. One final embarrassment to people who neither respect nor deserve their position.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
And yet he walked right in, seemingly unarmed. Really says something about the importance of presenting an image of being unconquerable than actually being unconquerable.

Bunch of images of elected officials cowering in the face of unarmed, uncoordinated, silly people has to be such an ego blow to the idiots in Washington. One final embarrassment to people who neither respect nor deserve their position.
Elected officials that dragged ass, and even promoted the rioting going on last year... as citizens were literally in fear for their lives in these areas.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
The hilarious part is that all of this could have been avoided if you just wore a fucking mask to a mass gathering, like come on.

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
The hilarious part is that all of this could have been avoided if you just wore a fucking mask to a mass gathering, like come on.
thats the most bizarre part to me. I remember looking at the looters over the summer and wondered if they were that brazen because everyone was wearing masks.

these idiots didnt even do that.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
And another one is added to the list:

The head of a marketing firm outside Chicago who was arrested during the Capitol siege says storming the building was the “single worst decision” of his life.

Bradley Rukstales, the 52-year-old CEO and president of Cogensia, confirmed his arrest by Capitol Police for unlawful entry in Washington on Wednesday to WBEZ.

The campaign contributor to President Trump said the first arrest of his life was the result of “extremely poor judgment” as he followed hundreds of others through an open set of doors to invade the Capitol — which resulted in one woman being fatally shot, three others dying from medical emergencies and a Capitol Police officer succumbing to injuries.

“My decision to enter the Capitol was wrong, and I am deeply regretful to have done so,” Rukstales said in a statement. “Without qualification and as a peaceful and law-abiding citizen, I condemn the violence and destruction that took place in Washington.”

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Jul 3, 2020
Mar 3, 2014
Lol play stupid games win stupid prizes

Will never understand the need to commit crime and be active on social media

Stupid People GIF by memecandy

I think the point is that they have "someone" in official position encouraging them so they didn't think they're committing a crime. they thought they're the good soldiers of some modern US "revolution".

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Similar happening, but no one fired. Bay Area residents are calling for a boycott of a local candy store because the owner was at the protest (not involved in the riot):

"I left the rally when the crowd became unruly and I was pushed to the ground. I returned to my hotel at that point, long before the agitators stormed the building. Just like every other American, I watched in horror as the chaos unfolded on television," Tinsley said in the statement. "I couldn't believe my eyes and remain appalled at what I saw. I love my community, I love my country, and I hope those responsible for storming our Capitol Building are held fully accountable."

After Sugar Shack's Yelp reviews bombed from four stars to one and a half overnight, and photos on the site were changed to that of Tinsley at the rally, Yelp disabled the posting of content on the page, stating, "This business recently received increased public attention, which often means people come to this page to post their views on the news rather than actual consumer experiences with the business."

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Imagine being so opposed to the idea of wearing a mask that you will not wear one while committing a crime in broad daylight even though you have a perfect excuse to!
Not even mentioning taking selfies and posting them on social media.
To be fair I think those people truly believed they were doing the right thing and would be considered heroes after they’d successfully blocked the electoral process. ‘Delusional’ seems more appropriate than ´stupid’

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I love the stupidity involved here. Not only did he commit a crime and participate in a riot. He did it without a mask to hide his identity or protect himself from Covid while also wearing a badge with his place of employment, name, and picture on it.

A lot of these people believed they were part of the revolution. They thought they were heroes to their country who would be praised. Hiding their face is the opposite of what they wanted to do

why is this girl not a meme like the screaming Hillary supporter? Or is she?

Last edited: