• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man mistakenly released from prison asks judge to reduce his 98-year sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrarh

How does the saying go? Rob a corner store for 100 dollars - life in prison. Rob millions from people's savings and pensions, you get a job in DC.

hobozero

Can you really categorize a crime as violent if it doesn't involve physical force?

I don't want to derail discussion too much because the focus should be on the grossly inflated sentence this man received, but this is an interesting question.

In most Western countries, violent crime is defined as either the use of force or threat of force, though I think judges can take factors like not loading the gun when sentencing.

The entire point of jail is to rehabitate. If that's been achieved he should go in peace. Doubly so if no one was harmed.

But don't get it twisted...armed robbery ain't no fucking joke. He fucked up his life for sure with that nonsense.

Lum1n3s

Is this guy African American? This whole time I thought he was Hispanic. I remember reading about this a while back though I hope something gets done to that sentence. Getting your second chance taken away just like that especially when your path was starting out well sucks.

Syriel

Keep him on parole for the next 20 years or something if you wanna "seem tough," but holy shit don't throw him back into prison.

He was on parole when he left prison. That's the doubly messed up part.

It's not like the state didn't know where he was or what he was doing that whole time.

Can Obama hand out a pardon? Or is that only for federal prisoners?

Only for Federal crimes.

No chance, Obama does not care about stuff like this.

Maybe you should do some basic research before making a drive-by shitpost. Obama literally can't pardon someone for a state conviction.

But hey, facts don't matter when you can make a partisan dig, amirite?

Geist-

Fuck our criminal justice system, fuck it so much. I can't wait until AI advances enough that we get rid of these bigoted assholes drunk on their own power. Humans keep proving we have no business judging each other.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Armed robbery is a violent crime. The threat of murder is clearly violence. Have you ever had a gun pointed in your face? Even if the gun was unloaded (I see no evidence it was, just his claim which is not especially reliable), this doesn't make any difference to the victim who never knew that.

The sentence still seems completely excessive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I got mistakenly released from a sentence like that, I'd first check with a lawyer to see if they screwed up, and then my ass would drive straight to Mexico.

Trouble

Banned
That sentence is obviously insane. The judge should give him probation and send him back to his family, it doesn't sound like he'll have any problem keeping his nose clean.

Dynasty

A guy gets 98 years for a string robberies where no one got hurt.
Another guy gets 0 years for kicking a hanger up someones ass.

Seems about right since the first guy is black and that is a crime in itself right now, the US criminal system doing its job.

HardRojo

This guy bought a house and started a family in 5 years? He must of done some serious work. Wtf am I doing with myself? Let them out. 98 years is bananas.
This was my main takeaway from this, it's an impressive feat and the best case scenario for someone getting out of jail, it's what you'd ideally want a released felon to accomplish after rehabilitation, a new chance at life.

jett

D-Member
Consecutive sentencing is such a ridiculous notion. 98 fucking years? That's a life sentence.

Anyone saying the guy (or anyone) deserves to serve that for a not-violent robbery is just insane.

Zaph

If this judge decides to throw him back in jail, I wonder if a good lawyer could argue that releasing a man, allowing him to start a family and new life, then re-incarcerating him, counts as cruel and unusual punishment?

God damn. I'm mostly in favor of harsh punishment and think people here get off too easily a lot of times. But 98 years?! For a robbery where nobody got hurt? Surely that is just like 5 years max.

Apt101

Damn. The guy got a ridiculously excessive sentence, overcame the odds and was actually rehabilitated, and instead of calling it a success the state decides to keep him in jail and potentially ruin more lives. "Justice" system.

johnny956

Similar case happened in Missouri. In his case he never went to prison and 13 years later the state realized the error and locked him up. He never committed a crime during that 13 years and the judge agreed (along with the victim).

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/an-oversight-allowed-a-convicted-man-to-walk-free-for-thirteen-years-now-the-justice-system-wants-to-restart-the-clock/Content?oid=2506702

Edit: to show how messed up sentencing is, this case was also armed robbery and he received 13 years

The part that stuck out for me while reading this was about his spotless record for 5 years while on parole. This fellow started at the bottom of the totem pole when he got out with a minimum wage job... worked his arse off to get a union job with better pay and benefits. Then he got married, bought a house(!!!!), and had kids.... 5 years spotless record. This man is rehabilitated and served enough time for his mistake when he was still a teen... AND you have proof that he wouldn't cause more trouble... 5 years spotless record, a good job, a house, a family...

this should be an open and shut thing...

The only conflict is there were 2 other perpetrators? What would happen to them? I'm sensing that could be the hold up.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Not only was the original sentence excessive, he was clearly successfully rehabilitated. He is a success story. Sending him back to prison will do nothing but destroy that.

Not only was the original sentence excessive, he was clearly successfully rehabilitated. He is a success story. Sending him back to prison will do nothing but destroy that.

Hopefully people care a bout that, but with how the justice system is in the U.S., I doubt it.

He should absolutely be released. The original sentence he was given is WAY too severe. When I saw the sentence my first thought was it had to be murder.

If I got mistakenly released from a sentence like that, I'd first check with a lawyer to see if they screwed up, and then my ass would drive straight to Mexico.

Yeah I'm honestly surprised he didn't bail out of the country instantly

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Our criminal justice system is really stupid sometimes in how it emphasizes punishment over rehabilitation. I'm sure Jesus would approve.

NimbusD

The original sentence is insanely excessive. Life in prison for a robbery committed at age 19 in which no-one got hurt.
Yeah pretty much this.

There's no reason from what I've read that the other people should be serving essentially life in prison for this.

This is clearly a case where the guy has turned his life around (not to mention how excessive his original sentencing was). Whether he's forced to go back and resume his original sentencing in full speaks loudly about whether our justice system exists to rehabilitate criminals or merely to punish them for our own satisfaction.

Who am I kidding? There are many people who would proudly endorse the latter type of system.

riotous

Banned
I've been robbed at gunpoint before; I was not struck or injured.. but to me it was a violent crime. People pointing guns in your face are also likely loudly threatening you; it's an assault by most law definitions (just not battery.)

People have nightmares and anxiety issues after such incidents.

Having said all that 98 years is ridiculous.

Pachinko

Is there some sort of "snooze and you loose " law. Like, they let him out because someone somewhere didn't dot their i's or cross their T's correctly. So, he's out of jail and clearly rehabilitated , why not keep him there. If anything he's an example of the prison system doing what it's supposed to do - rehabilitate an individual for re-entry into society.

For the record, maybe his former partner in crime should be put on parole too. I mean, I'd change my tune if their robbery had resulted in loss of life but it didn't. Scared the shit out of some poor clerks sure but you can't really make up for big mistakes like that being stuck in prison for 100 years.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He robbed some stores and didn't hurt anybody while doing it? And was given a life sentence?!

I've been robbed at gunpoint before; I was not struck or injured.. but to me it was a violent crime. People pointing guns in your face are also likely loudly threatening you; it's an assault by most law definitions (just not battery.)

People have nightmares and anxiety issues after such incidents.

Absolutely. Regardless of whether the gun was empty or not, it was still a violent crime. But yeah, the sentencing is still egregious especially when you have cases like these where they get off scot-free.

Colin.

98 years for a couple of non-violent robberies by a dumb 19 year old, bloody hell. The US "justice" system really is a mess, huh? And I imagine there will be plenty of other convictions that have been made that are just as ridiculous. The 10 he served is already a long time imo. He then came out, stayed out of trouble, and got a steady job and started a family. Sounds like a successful case of rehabilitation. One that they want to completely throw away not in the name of justice, or public safety. But to severely punish, to incite fear into the public, and at a great cost. Just straight up cruel and unnecessary.

Parfait

If you're black, you get 30 years for every layer of skin you have.

Im gonna need this brb

vnKiaIS.jpg

Boney

Banned
Gotta be tough on crime. We can spend all day on how and why they got there but they must be brought to heel.

Alucrid

Banned
They also argued that it would not be fair for Lima-Marin to get off early due to a clerical error while his partner in the robberies, Michael Clifton, is still serving his 98-year sentence.

so clearly the solution is to throw this guy back in jail and not review the other guy for parole.

Monocle

98 years in prison for armed robbery seems harsh...I feel like there's something missing here or that judge was feeling particularly dickish on his sentencing day.
Sadistic bullshit. It should be illegal to steal away someone's life like that.

Gotta be tough on crime. We can spend all day on how and why they got there but they must be brought to heel.
Even better if they're innocent, I say. Gotta keep the plebs in line!

Our criminal justice system is really stupid sometimes in how it emphasizes punishment over rehabilitation. I'm sure Jesus would approve.
Bear in mind, it was Jesus who said: "Let he who is without sin take up that bushel of rocks over there and rain on a motherfucker."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom