• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man punches a young kid allegedly trying to defend his daughter/family

• Thread starter Deleted member 713885
  • Start date
I would have gladly beaten them up for you.

I don't what to say, but thanks. It's a pity I didn't have people like that back then.

I went through a good decade of shit from pre-school up until high school when I changed school systems, and it left me with almost no empathy for bullies. The school never helped and their parents (the PTA/heavily involved sorts) claimed their children were perfect little angels would never do things like that, even though my legs were covered in bruises throughout middle school from where they would sneak up and kick me.

I can't imagine every kid in this group had some tragic backstory that would explain them acting like this, so I can't feel sorry for them. They shouldn't have ganged up on this girl, and for all the father knew they were going to knock her to the ground and beat her. They could have done real physical damage to her just as easily as he could have done much more to them, and I'm sure there were previous attacks and emotional damage done. This sort of thing does not happen out of nowhere.

And he's still engaging. And he's still belittling.

And he still isn't denying the claim.

My point has been amply demonstrated by the one it was leveled at.
Everything else is theatrics.

What a nightmare to be in. A group of loud mouth teenagers getting physical. Reminds me of that teacher that hit that student.

Can't say I blame the man for wanting to drop an asshole. But he shouldn't have done it. Arrest him and sort the charges out.

Last edited:
I don't what to say, but thanks. It's a pity I didn't have people like that back then.

I went through a good decade of shit from pre-school up until high school when I changed school systems, and it left me with almost no empathy for bullies. The school never helped and their parents (the PTA/heavily involved sorts) claimed their children were perfect little angels would never do things like that, even though my legs were covered in bruises throughout middle school from where they would sneak up and kick me.

I can't imagine every kid in this group had some tragic backstory that would explain them acting like this, so I can't feel sorry for them. They shouldn't have ganged up on this girl, and for all the father knew they were going to knock her to the ground and beat her. They could have done real physical damage to her just as easily as he could have done much more to them, and I'm sure there were previous attacks and emotional damage done. This sort of thing does not happen out of nowhere.

If he or his loved one were in fact in danger then I can understand his reaction, however do you have any sources for this assertation?

I have searched the web and only found an Instagram story (since deleted) from "cousin of the family" claiming the man's daughter was bullied first. Other than that, all we have is video clearly depicting the man walking into the middle of the group and being the worst to put a hand on one of them in the very beginning, near the street, far side of camera.

If there is any evidence of what allegedly happened prior I would love to see it. The story feels very incomplete as is.

I just can't help but feel like the onus falls on the adults to separate themselves from an escalating confrontation.

In either case, it is a shame that cooler heads couldn't have prevailed from the start.....

Last edited:
If he or his loved one were in fact in danger then I can understand his reaction, however do you have any sources for this assertation?

I have searched the web and only found an Instagram story (since deleted) from "cousin of the family" claiming the man's daughter was bullied first. Other than that, all we have is video clearly depicting the man walking into the middle of the group and being the worst to put a hand on one of them in the very beginning, near the street, far side of camera.

If there is any evidence of what allegedly happened prior I would love to see it. The story feels very incomplete as is.

The video was already taken down by the time I came in. I'm just going on the title description.

He would have been arrested regardless, but assuming it happened as described those are my (admittedly emotional) feelings, and obviously I am only guessing that there is additional history of this group harassing/attacking her.

To add....

For people to claim self-defense, I understand. I disagree, but I can't fault you for having that interpretation. For people to celebrate a 12 year old being viciously knocked out and wishing further harm on her (which his happening in all the large reddit discussions), well, I have a problem with that. The girl may not be innocent, but she's a kid, and there is no evidence of her doing something truly egregious.

Relativ9

Hope he enjoys his jail cell
And yet, when the races are reversed, you'd be celebrating.

As always: whoever escalates this from words to physical actions is in the wrong.
I don't get what was going on in the video, it doesn't show us how things started.
The level of force used was beyond excessive. It's possible to protect without resorting to attack.
You don’t know that . Don’t make an assumption, a grown man is beating a child. I wouldn’t make that assumption about you regardless

Just checked the malls facebook ..the police arrested him and on the local police dep website there’s a recent arrest for assault on a child under 12 .
It would have been the simplest thing in the world to categorically deny the claim.
But that didn't happen. :unsure:

Bigots circling their wagons don't make them any less bigoted - it just shows a remarkable parallel to the video in the OP.
Ah, increasingly desperate fabrications. How convincing.
Still engaging.
Still trying to use deflection.
Still trying to belittle.

Still not denying the claim.

As I said:

So wait, let me get this straight Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat : BraveOne BraveOne expresses disgust at this act of violence against an 11-year-old girl, not at all bringing race into anything. This causes you to assert that if a 51-year-old black man had knocked out an 11-year-old white girl, he wouldn't have just been okay with it, he'd be celebrating it. He dismisses this notion by chastising you for making such a wild assumption and accusation seemingly based on absolutely nothing. Now instead of understanding this to be the implicit denial of the accusation you leveled against him, you interpret the lack of a formal "vocalized" denial as a sign that he really does hope for the day he can celebrate 11-year-old white girls getting the shit kicked out of them? Is that about right?

Since when are people supposed to categorically deny every crazy accusation made against them? For example:

I believe you Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat is actually the late scientist Erwin Schrödinger come back to life as a zombie who feeds on the brains of humans. Do you deny it?

Or are you just a troll?

Last edited:

So wait, let me get this straight Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat : BraveOne BraveOne expresses disgust at this act of violence against an 11-year-old girl, not at all bringing race into anything. This causes you to assert that if a 51-year-old black man had knocked out an 11-year-old white girl, he wouldn't have just been okay with it, he'd be celebrating it. He dismisses this notion by chastising you for making such a wild assumption and accusation seemingly based on absolutely nothing. Now instead of understanding this to be the implicit denial of the accusation you leveled against him, you interpret the lack of a formal "vocalized" denial as a sign that he really does hope for the day he can celebrate 11-year-old white girls getting the shit kicked out of them? Is that about right?

Since when are people supposed to categorically deny every crazy accusation made against them? For example:

I believe you Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat is actually the late scientist Erwin Schrödinger come back to life as a zombie who feeds on the brains of humans. Do you deny it?

Or are you just a troll?

You spelled it out for him, but this is how he sees it.

trolling-1024x576.png

Replace trolling with logic and it's good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
He should have just taken his daughter out of there. They were just being ratchet. I could maybe understand if they were all physically attacking at once or something, but it seemed like all posturing especially with the way they scattered after one got hit.

That said, it was reeeeaaaallly stupid of her to come back at him after a shove like that. Perhaps she gained some valuable survival instincts from this encounter.

Anyone have the video?

Earlier in the day there appeared to be two videos, one about 4 seconds longer than the other, so basically the same content except you saw him enter the middle of the group more clearly.

This is all I can find now, which seems to be just a copy of the crappy liveleak vid, or whatever the original host was. I suspect a better video exists and knowing how things work these days that person is just waiting to sell it to TMZ, or whatever happens with that kind of thing.

Are his family the lady and very small child in the bottom left of the video? Very hard to determine exactly what happened before the video starts. if that small child is his kid, the child appears much younger than the group and I wonder what prompted anything to pop off to begin with.

Guess we will probably never know the full story?

Weiji

Banned
He should have just taken his daughter out of there. They were just being ratchet. I could maybe understand if they were all physically attacking at once or something, but it seemed like all posturing especially with the way they scattered after one got hit.

That said, it was reeeeaaaallly stupid of her to come back at him after a shove like that. Perhaps she gained some valuable survival instincts from this encounter.

Or perhaps Darwin added another notch to his belt.

I don’t see enough here to warrant that punch, so I hope for his sake they were doing Something pretty awful leading up to this because this video is gonna F him up in court.

I don’t like shitty brats either, but you gotta make em hit you first before bringing the righteous hellfire.

It’s not even that it’s the severity of the punch that’s going to kill him. The shove was enough and he woulda gotten away with it but that punch? Holy crap. Like I said, I’d hide.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
After watching it a few times, I see that he gets pushed in the back while he is surrounded. Then he pushes the girl that pushed him. Then she steps up to him raising her hands and gets decked.

All the yelling and the fact that they're pushing an adult doesn't look good.

But yeah, that is a hell of a punch and not at all needed. The whole thing is just a circus.

After watching it a few times, I see that he gets pushed in the back while he is surrounded. Then he pushes the girl that pushed him. Then she steps up to him raising her hands and gets decked.

All the yelling and the fact that they're pushing an adult doesn't look good.

But yeah, that is a hell of a punch and not at all needed. The whole thing is just a circus.

They were 12 year old girls. Just leave. Just get your family out of there.

When he was shoved in the back (by a 12 year old girl) it looked like he was going after one of the friends near the street.

highrider

Banned
I couldn’t see anything justifying that level of force, but i got the sense there was a lead up that wasn’t shown. I think these kind of videos are destructive on a societal level. It brings a lot of emotion out of people and there’s usually no resolution or exposition.

There’s no reason to hit kids ever really, but I can’t ignore that these young girls were aggressively engaging him. I can’t wrap my head around punching a young girl, and I also can’t wrap my head around a young girl pushing and then squaring up to a grown man.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They were 12 year old girls. Just leave. Just get your family out of there.

When he was shoved in the back (by a 12 year old girl) it looked like he was going after one of the friends near the street.
Oh believe me, I agree. The best call is always to just get out of there.

All I'm saying is this guy was surrounded by a group of people that were clearly taunting him (and maybe his family?), pushed him in the back at least once while surrounded, and were filming it.

There’s no reason to hit kids ever really, but I can’t ignore that these young girls were aggressively engaging him

This falls into the "what happened before the video started" territory. We have no idea who was first aggressive toward who. What we see is a man approaching in a kid in what could be interpreted as menacing, and a friend pushing the guy from behind in response. After that there is plenty of space between the man and the girls for a good bit. No one is even looking at the wife and kid behind the man. Without knowing for sure what happened before the video starts it is impossible to determine which aggression met which aggression first.

. I can’t wrap my head around punching a young girl,

Neither can I, especially when no one's life was in danger and obviously he had plenty of room, time, and ability to leave if he wanted to. Clearly he was physically peerless amongst this group of people. Not sure what standing in the middle of their circle was going to accomplish.

and I also can’t wrap my head around a young girl pushing and then squaring up to a grown man.
[/quote}

And I agree with you on this, too, however as I said earlier: The onus is on adults to act like adults and lead by example. I am not giving the kids a free pass for being kids, but I expect adults to possess skills of de-escalation. 12 years olds, in general, maybe aren't typically the most sound decision makers. No one appeared to be harmed whatsoever before this video started. No evidence of violence beforehand. I do not feel his response was proportionate to the situation.

I think he is going to do time. Whole thing is very ugly. I am very glad no one else was hurt, including the man's family, and I am very glad the girl's head missed the pole that was right next to her. Could have been VERY bad.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
This falls into the "what happened before the video started" territory. We have no idea who was first aggressive toward who. What we see is a man approaching in a kid in what could be interpreted as menacing, and a friend pushing the guy from behind in response. After that there is plenty of space between the man and the girls for a good bit. No one is even looking at the wife and kid behind the man. Without knowing for sure what happened before the video starts it is impossible to determine which aggression met which aggression first.

Neither can I, especially when no one's life was in danger and obviously he had plenty of room, time, and ability to leave if he wanted to. Clearly he was physically peerless amongst this group of people. Not sure what standing in the middle of their circle was going to accomplish.

[/quote}

And I agree with you on this, too, however as I said earlier: The onus is on adults to act like adults and lead by example. I am not giving the kids a free pass for being kids, but I expect adults to possess skills of de-escalation. 12 years olds, in general, maybe aren't typically the most sound decision makers. No one appeared to be harmed whatsoever before this video started. No evidence of violence beforehand. I do not feel his response was proportionate to the situation.

I think he is going to do time. Whole thing is very ugly. I am very glad no one else was hurt, including the man's family, and I am very glad the girl's head missed the pole that was right next to her. Could have been VERY bad.

Yeah I didn’t mean that as any defense of the adult who was clearly in the wrong. Hopefully the girl is ok. It’s just like woah, can’t even process this stuff. 😳

G-Bus

Banned
I think regardless of what happened before the video started this guy over reacted and he's going to learn the hard way.

If they're in that much danger go inside the building there infront of. Call the cops. You don't take care of situations like this with violence when it's fucking children. Unacceptable.

If the dude got jumped by all those kids then I can see him defending himself.

Also... Fuck. Those kids are dumb as fuck. That girl that got shoved shouldnt have came at him like that. Learn the hard way I guess. You don't know how someone's going to react. I swear it's a generational thing. Kids are way to emboldened these days. Hope she's okay

Very curious how all this transpired.

quickwhips

Finally got to see the video but no sound. I thought it was going to be a black guy hitting white kids for some reason.

Looked like a bunch of shitty kids acting tough and some shitty guy giving them the wrong kinda reality.

Need more info though.

nkarafo

Uh, yeah, no, you don’t punch a little girl like that
I agree.

Some would argue "equality means you treat a woman the same way you treat a man". So, by holding up punching a woman because she is a woman is a form of sexism. Which kinda makes sense or else there is a double standard.

Im not a fan of "p*ssy pass" either. Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you think you can get away from situations like that unscratched. Your womanhood is not a shield.

However, this isn't an issue of a man VS woman. Or White vs Black. This is a matter of weight and size. There is no such thing as "equality" on body mass. In this particular scene, there is a HUGE guy vs a TINY girl. The difference in size and weight is massive. So, yeah, the girl is a moron, she was literally picking on a giant. What did she expect? But the guy also overreacted. He could easily just keep pushing away the girl or immobilize her without hurting her. Since he has clearly the upper hand here, there is no reason for him to panic and go "all in" to protect himself or whatever. Unless the girl was holding a knife, i just don't see how this punch was necessary.

Last edited:

olimariOA

Banned
Surrounded by an angry mob
Getting pushed
Fights his way out

I honestly see no problem from a self defense perspective
He had every right to fear for his safety
All it takes is one person in the circle with a knife

EDIT: What caused the scene to begin with?

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Surrounded by an angry mob
Getting pushed
Fights his way out

I honestly see no problem from a self defense perspective
He had every right to fear for his safety
All it takes is one person in the circle with a knife

EDIT: What caused the scene to begin with?

Apparently this guy was a cop so I get him fearing for his life when a little girl, A CHILD, comes at him.

Jesus Christ dude

olimariOA

Banned
Apparently this guy was a cop so I get him fearing for his life when a little girl, A CHILD, comes at him.

Jesus Christ dude

I've been balls deep in the world of self defense for a decade.
The reality isn't a 1v1 boxing match between this man and a little girl.

The reality is a mob of girls circling him and his family and initiating aggression complete with threats of further violence.
All it takes is a single weapon to equalize the situation. All it takes is one in the circle to stick a knife in his liver and he's dead.

The girls made no attempt to deescalate the situation.
They did the opposite and got physical.
The man couldn't run because his wife and young daughter were there.

He did what it took to protect himself and his family from an irate mob.

G-Bus

Banned
I've been balls deep in the world of self defense for a decade.
The reality isn't a 1v1 boxing match between this man and a little girl.

The reality is a mob of girls circling him and his family and initiating aggression complete with threats of further violence.
All it takes is a single weapon to equalize the situation. All it takes is one in the circle to stick a knife in his liver and he's dead.

The girls made no attempt to deescalate the situation.
They did the opposite and got physical.
The man couldn't run because his wife and young daughter were there.

He did what it took to protect himself and his family from an irate mob.

That's a hell of a take away from such a short video and your really reaching when calling that a mob.

I get the dangers of situations like this.. but come on man. His life wasn't in danger. His family had more than enough room to go back inside for safety.

Dude over reacted and he more than likely just ruined his life depending on how hurt that girl is.

olimariOA

Banned
That's a hell of a take away from such a short video and your really reaching when calling that a mob.

I get the dangers of situations like this.. but come on man. His life wasn't in danger. His family had more than enough room to go back inside for safety.

Dude over reacted and he more than likely just ruined his life depending on how hurt that girl is.

I deal with the repercussions of failed self defense every week and I disagree deeply.

Going inside is no promise that the mob won't follow.

8 on 1 is not good odds regardless of the ages.

We don't know if his life is in danger or not, but it's irrelevant. What we know is that a large group is both angry with him and surrounding him. The group initiates the violence as well. In what universe should he not fear for his own safety or the safety of his family?

One of my clients got hit in the head with brick throw by a teenager. Fell and hit his head on the concrete. 10 seconds prior to that his situation looked a little like this one. You can't wait for severe violence to say there was a reasonable suspicion that violence would occur.

G-Bus

Banned
I deal with the repercussions of failed self defense every week and I disagree deeply.

Going inside is no promise that the mob won't follow.

8 on 1 is not good odds regardless of the ages.

We don't know if his life is in danger or not, but it's irrelevant. What we know is that a large group is both angry with him and surrounding him. The group initiates the violence as well. In what universe should he not fear for his own safety or the safety of his family?

One of my clients got hit in the head with brick throw by a teenager. Fell and hit his head on the concrete. 10 seconds prior to that his situation looked a little like this one. You can't wait for severe violence to say there was a reasonable suspicion that violence would occur.

Alright, fair enough.

I guess my issue is I see a bunch of young girls and this big dude and it just looks terrible. Your right though, I guess things could easily escalate if one of them decided to attack when he's got his back turned.

Still, I don't think he should have layed that girl out. He held nothing back from the looks of it. I know, not easy to do when your in that situation and the adrenaline is going.

olimariOA

Banned
Alright, fair enough.

I guess my issue is I see a bunch of young girls and this big dude and it just looks terrible. Your right though, I guess things could easily escalate if one of them decided to attack when he's got his back turned.

Still, I don't think he should have layed that girl out. He held nothing back from the looks of it. I know, not easy to do when your in that situation and the adrenaline is going.

That's the truth there at the end.
A lot of self defense is getting one comfortable with confrontation and distance management.
The goal is to stay calm and clear-headed in situations like this one and be deliberate with your vocal commands and then your actions.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Aye man, Imma hit a kid if they attacking my daug......"watches video".
Shiiieeet closed fist? 11 yr old? Girl?
Proportionality.

Slightly off topic:
What was she actually expecting after that major shove why posture up and come at him again. The only two outcomes were sleeping.......and death.
Game plans.

Jesus Christ dude

I think that's very likely to be misinformation. I say this, because I read something about this involving an off-duty officer earlier in the thread, but then I re-read it, and it said this guy was ARRESTED BY an off duty officer.

An off-duty officer arrested Bell, 51, of Black Mountain, and he is charged with assault on a female under 12 and two counts of assault on a female.

As was posted earlier in the thread. So unless two off duty officers were involved, this is likely people seeing the word "officer" and mentally jumping to that conclusion. For a moment, I did the same thing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Context is absolutely unclear from the video, but unless they majorly beat his daughter up to cause him huge distress, his punch is way, way beyond any acceptable form of self-defense. With such a heavy punch he risks causing permanent damage to her, and she is obviously going at him without any kind of weapon, so this level of force is absolutely not OK.

And you all ( BraveOne BraveOne , Relativ9 Relativ9 , @ssolitare ) need to disengage with obvious troll Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat - this is at least the fourth discussion I have seen of him being thoroughly disingenuous to self-aggrandise.

mekes

All young people should know that you don’t posture up unless you are willing to fight. It’s a lesson I’m sure thousands of youngsters learn every day. This video is just a fact of life playing out over 20 or so seconds. Both will deal with the consequences and I’m sure most of those in attendance will also have learned a valuable lesson.

I don’t see a point in joining any mob mentality over this. I know plenty will and will make it about race, sexes etc. But this is just another thing that can happen in the real world outside of your comfy social media circle. And it will be the same 100 years from now.

Since it’s 2019, I’m assuming the guy will lose his job since this is on social media. On top of the usual being sued and some jail time. It was not worth it.

Context is absolutely unclear from the video, but unless they majorly beat his daughter up to cause him huge distress, his punch is way, way beyond any acceptable form of self-defense. With such a heavy punch he risks causing permanent damage to her, and she is obviously going at him without any kind of weapon, so this level of force is absolutely not OK.

And you all ( BraveOne BraveOne , Relativ9 Relativ9 , @ssolitare ) need to disengage with obvious troll Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat - this is at least the fourth discussion I have seen of him being thoroughly disingenuous to self-aggrandise.

Yeah, we know.

Catphish

As much as I feel the man made a mistake, I don't know if I'd do any better in that situation.

You surround my daughter and threaten her, you'd best believe I'll defend her and/or remove the threat.

Similar to having my car surrounded by protesting idiots on the expressway. If my kid is in the car with me, and a mob surrounds my car, someone's getting run the fuck down.

I'll deal with the consequences later. My kid's safety comes first.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
Watching master misrepresentation himself gazing his beady eye over something and, shock horror, call a spade a club. :messenger_neutral:

You have made multiple posts in this thread to bait others and not contribute to the conversation at hand. Consider this a friendly warning to cease that shit immediately. Move on from the thread if you have nothing further to add.

highrider

Banned
I think it’s important to know/realize that the law only covers reciprocal force. If you shove me, even if I feel in eminent danger, if I haul off and punch the person that shoved me I’ll get the assault charge. You could make a legitimate argument for self defense, and some states like Florida are different but generally you can only answer with whatever force is put towards you. But this is multiple children so it’s a bizarre situation to begin with.

I think it’s important to know/realize that the law only covers reciprocal force. If you shove me, even if I feel in eminent danger, if I haul off and punch the person that shoved me I’ll get the assault charge. You could make a legitimate argument for self defense, and some states like Florida are different but generally you can only answer with whatever force is put towards you. But this is multiple children so it’s a bizarre situation to begin with.

I’m curious to see what happens in court, whether he takes a plea deal or it goes the distance. I don’t even know what the possible sentences are for what he is charged with. I wonder if the mall has security cam footage that shows the whole event from better angles? At different points in the video we have I see why both parties felt threatened. Ugly scene

As much as I feel the man made a mistake, I don't know if I'd do any better in that situation.

You surround my daughter and threaten her, you'd best believe I'll defend her and/or remove the threat.

Similar to having my car surrounded by protesting idiots on the expressway. If my kid is in the car with me, and a mob surrounds my car, someone's getting run the fuck down.

I'll deal with the consequences later. My kid's safety comes first.

I don’t have kids, so I can’t put myself in your shoes. I can imagine that all reason goes out the window when a son/daughter is involved.

I agree with you about the car scenario. There was a case in San Diego where like a “zombie walk” blocked busy streets downtown and a car got surrounded, the driver was deaf or had some sort of handicap, I think, and his family was freaked out. A couple “zombie walkers” slapped the car window and the guy took off. I didn’t blame him whatsoever. No idea what happened after, I lost track of the story.

It’s been asked by others and I feel the same way though.....from what we see it doesn’t look like anyone was in danger. I mean was the kid “surrounded,” I guess? Kinda? I dunno. We need a better video. I’d like to know if the girls really had any meaningful contact with the daughter who seems super young, like a whole school level younger than the girls. I can’t imagine they knew each other. Who knows though?

Is there evidence of the alleged attempted assault on the family that hasn’t been posted here? The OP opens his post with a like about it but I don’t see it

Last edited:
Top Bottom