• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man volunteers for world first head transplant operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spladam

Just to be clear, it's not this dude doing the operation, right?

1221441471145709606.png

Someone mentioned the path to immortality this way.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be a case for a good long while - if you do this operation to stave off death from old age since you're 80 or 90, your head is still gonna be 80 or 90 years old, which means your brain is going to be that old too. We also still have very little success into curing the diseases that affect mental health like Alzheimers and Dementia which come with age.

There is some interesting research however on the brain living longer than the body tho so you never know: http://www.livescience.com/27423-brain-cells-outlive-bodies.html

Canavero has also been quick to dismiss critics who do not believe the operation will work and has suggested anyone opposed to the idea should travel to Valery's hometown in the Russian city of Vladimir, east of Moscow, to see for themselves.

"No problem. Come to Vladimir, Russia. I will tie you up to Valery's wheelchair, you will poo and pee the way he does, you will sleep the way he does, for 24 hours, OK? After 24 hours, I will ask you 'do you still believe that this is going to be a crazy project?' and I can bet you 100 to one that it is possible he will change his mind," he told Reuters in his studio in the northern Italian city of Turin.

Canavero says the key to the procedure is a sharp severance of the spinal cords. The head needs to be removed with a sharp blade, causing minimal damage to the spinal cords. Speed, too, is of essence, he says.

"Actually, as everybody knows by now, the head will be cooled and there won't be a single drop of blood inside so he will be clinically dead, as dead as it gets as I said in my TEDx talk. And actually this momentary absence of circulation is, it's actually momentary because the two gurneys will be like this in the same room, so the head will gravitate for just a few seconds until the surgeon will start reconnecting the head to the new body," he said.

Ugh...
So like.. How do they plan to revive him...?

Step 1. Severe the heads
Step 2. Drain the transplant head of blood until dead
Step 3. Spend several hours attaching the transplant head to the new body
Step 4. ??
Step 5. Success!

Is it me...

Or is this either:

- Legit a viral marketing campaign for MGSV (gone out of control/come to life)?
- A serial killer disguised as a doctor, fooling us all into legally providing him with a victim to mutilate and destroy in a very public, very spectacular fashion?

Strange....

This brings to mind that monkey head transplant. Granted that was years and years ago. And the transferred head was paralyzed from the neck down. But it's within the realm of possibility for sure. Good luck to all involved.

Looks like they're not moving forward with the Russian kid and going with someone Chinese to get around the laws as the transplant is now in China. I've kinda been following this and still think its going to crash and burn but its real interesting.

Sapiens

No problem. Come to Vladimir, Russia. I will tie you up to Valery's wheelchair, you will poo and pee the way he does, you will sleep the way he does, for 24 hours, OK?.

Nah I'm good bro.

This guy sounds like an absolute nutcase.

Javaman

I can't imagine the horror the brain will experience while being beheaded slowly over the course of several hours. Even if totally unconscious imagine the insane nerve impulses and chemical imbalances his brain is going to have to endure. I would rather choose death.

Volimar

I can't imagine the horror the brain will experience while being beheaded slowly over the course of several hours. Even if totally unconscious imagine the insane nerve impulses and chemical imbalances his brain is going to have to endure. I would rather choose death.

It would definitely be bizarre. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever hear any impressions on how it felt.

I hope the operation is a success but it sounds like this guy is gonna die either way. Although I guess i'd choose decapitation over a muscle wasting disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom