• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man volunteers for world first head transplant operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
seems like it would be worth it for the medical knowledge at the very least. judging by that monkey head transplant this could very well be a thing in a few decades...

There are a metric ton of issues that you would have to work out for a head transplant to be something viable. I imagine coming up with a way to preserve the body and definitely would be far easier.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Best of all the lucks cause you'll need every single one. This operation is so damn complex it makes my head hurt just thinking about connecting the correct neurons to the spinal cord under a short period of time. I just can't...but it would be beyond amazing if he survives.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
If this operation was somehow 100% successful and could be easily replicated, could that in theory mean that as someones heart is giving out , they could swap bodies giving them more life, and then Rinse and repeat to live much longer? Or would the brain eventually just give out ?

JC Lately

Everything in medical science is impossible. Until it isn’t.

That said: Re attaching neurons? Correctly? To a foreign body? Even if you somehow manage to pull it off, the chances of rejection have to be astronomical.

Zombine

Banned
Just found a pic of the doctor:

download.php

Flandy

How would you even decapitate someone without them dying and then keep them alive long enough to put them on a new body, anyway?

Zukuu

Banned
Certainly interesting.
Tho, I foresee that people with young, fresh bodies, will be killed and this will be done on a regular basis in some shady countries.

Couldn't you also extend your life this way?

WillyFive

Certainly interesting.
Tho, I foresee that people with young, fresh bodies, will be killed and this will be done on a regular basis in some shady countries.

Couldn't you also extend your life this way?

If this operation was somehow 100% successful and could be easily replicated, could that in theory mean that as someones heart is giving out , they could swap bodies giving them more life, and then Rinse and repeat to live much longer? Or would the brain eventually just give out ?

Well, obviously eventually all organs will fail, including a brain; but it will be interesting to see just how long it could take.

Ketch

Do they really need to reattach each neuron to the right place though? Isn't brain plasticity a thing? I think at first he'll probably be paralyzed from the neck down but maybe with like an infinite amount of rehab he'll gains some function back. Either way, it's probably better then the alternative right?

I really want this to happen.

Also, I would love to read a more layman's description of what the doctor will be doing. Fascinating stuff (even if it isn't grounded in proven studies)

choco-fish

If science pulls THIS one off then we will definitely see immortality in our lifetimes (for the right price).

Nah, the mind always goes in the end, gonna look weird having an 80 year old head on a healthy body, plus the risks of sucessfully operating on someone go up with age, along with recovery times and quality of life etc.

Kickz

Nah, the mind always goes in the end, gonna look weird having an 80 year old head on a healthy body, plus the risks of sucessfully operating on someone go up with age, along with recovery times and quality of life etc.

Then transplant the head when it starts to fail

INCEPTION.GIF

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Life is precious, neither the doctor nor the patient should take it so lightly. There's a really high chance he ends up dead.

Seventy70

If this becomes possible, does that mean that you could take an old person's head and stick it on a teenage body? How long would that person live?

There's no way he can do this. The CNS is extremely complex.

i'm still haunted by that old as fuck russian? recording of a dog's head being kept alive severed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom