• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

cormack12

Gold Member
Can tell the budget has gone up in visuals. Music has been a bit hit and miss for me in these two episodes. Baby yoda still providing comic relief with the eggs and spider head.

Has the character of the engineer woman changed? I don't remember her being this loud and over the top brash in the first season.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Atm, it’s actually looking like Mandalorian will stick the landing, and will become a loved part of Star Wars.

It’s good Disney seems to be throwing feature film sized budgets at the effects in some of these episodes, because it’s genuinely repairing all the damage they did.

GreyHorace

Atm, it’s actually looking like Mandalorian will stick the landing, and will become a loved part of Star Wars.

It’s good Disney seems to be throwing feature film sized budgets at the effects in some of these episodes, because it’s genuinely repairing all the damage they did.

We've yet to see how season 2 will resolve, but so far Favreau and company haven't let me down. I think The Mandalorian won't be a long running series as I think Favreau has written it with a conclusion in mind. When all is said and done I hope too it becomes a beloved Star Wars entry like the OT.

In hindsight, I really wish Disney handed Favreau the reigns to the sequel trilogy and not Jar Jar Abrams. Abrams claims to love Star Wars but he really only has a surface level understanding of the franchise. Favs on the other hand, gets Star Wars and more importantly he knows what inspired it. He draws from the same sources of inspiration that George Lucas did when he created the original film, mainly the old Westerns and Samurai movies that Lucas watched in his youth.

kzlory9aqm441.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
We've yet to see how season 2 will resolve, but so far Favreau and company haven't let me down. I think The Mandalorian won't be a long running series as I think Favreau has written it with a conclusion in mind. When all is said and done I hope too it becomes a beloved Star Wars entry like the OT.

In hindsight, I really wish Disney handed Favreau the reigns to the sequel trilogy and not Jar Jar Abrams. Abrams claims to love Star Wars but he really only has a surface level understanding of the franchise. Favs on the other hand, gets Star Wars and more importantly he knows what inspired it. He draws from the same sources of inspiration that George Lucas did when he created the original film, mainly the old Westerns and Samurai movies that Lucas watched in his youth.

kzlory9aqm441.jpg

I was always surprised they picked who they did for the directors/writers.

JJ Abrams? Colin Trevorrow? If you want movies with good box office, sure. If you want good movies?

Rian Johnson is where they tried to reach out into a creative space a little bit, but still, his best is a BB episode he didn’t even write, that wasn’t anything remarkably special from a direction perspective (writing lifted that one), and his worst is a slew of mediocre movies.

The best thing they did is get Lawrence Kasdan. I think he’s why Force Awakens is kind of redeemable.

I just don’t know why Disney didn’t understand that Star Wars was something special, that requires insight, inspiration, and talent, that you can’t hand off to the first director in the news, and demand a return in two years. This, making a movie every year, it’s as if Disney thought they had a golden goose just automatically guaranteed to give them results, without caring for it.

At least Star Wars finally ended up back in good hands. Maybe they’ve figured it out.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I was kinda hoping he would permanently lose the jetpack. We're so used to him getting new weapons/armor; might be neat for him to lose something.

Then again his ship is fucked.

Under no circumstances was anything ever made cooler with the removal of a jetpack.

This ship is neat though. I forgot about that. It’ll be kind of fun if that becomes a plot device throughout the rest of the season.

dan76

Great episode, for me it was better than last weeks. The x-wing chase was fantastic, the spiders actually creeped me out a bit. Good humour with baby Yoda and the eggs . All really good, though at this point all I'm looking for is something to enjoy whilst I'm watching it, it doesn't have to have some deep meaning or anything shoehorned into it. It's just light fun and I hope it stays that way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great episode, for me it was better than last weeks. The x-wing chase was fantastic, the spiders actually creeped me out a bit. Good humour with baby Yoda and the eggs . All really good, though at this point all I'm looking for is something to enjoy whilst I'm watching it, it doesn't have to have some deep meaning or anything shoehorned into it. It's just light fun and I hope it stays that way.

Could not agree more. Baby Yoda was being a little asshole, and it was adorable.

I also really enjoyed seeing a taste of the inner workings with the Rebellion (Xwing pilots) post RotJ.

daveonezero

Banned

kzlory9aqm441.jpg
I think you are underestimating Dave Filoni's influence. He was the student of Lucas and his work on Clone Wars and Rebels had the magic. Its really what got me interested in Star Wars.

I think in the end the two just have a shared vision and knocking it out of the park.

I was kinda hoping he would permanently lose the jetpack. We're so used to him getting new weapons/armor; might be neat for him to lose something.

Then again his ship is fucked.
Yeah the ship is fucked. I'm sure we will see it as we did in the trailer next episode.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I was always surprised they picked who they did for the directors/writers.

JJ Abrams? Colin Trevorrow? If you want movies with good box office, sure. If you want good movies?

Not going to comment on Colin Trevorrow since I never watched Jurassic World and he got fired anyway so it's a moot point.

But I'll admit, I was excited for The Force Awakens because JJ Abrams was directing it. I actually liked his Star Trek reboot in 2009 and I'll admit that I enjoyed The Force Awakens when I watched it.

Yet in true Abrams fashion, his follow up left much to be desired. I'm not going to mince words, I fucking hated Star Trek: Into Darkness. He took elements from The Wrath of Khan (still the best Trek movie by far) and inserted in a goddamn 9-11 conspiracy plot. And in hindsight I think Abrams' influence on Trek has been largely negative because his BFF Alex Kurtzman takes after him and thus we have the abominations that are Discovery and Picard.

Looking back on The Force Awakens, I now see the flaws with that movie that I also found in Abrams' Trek movies. Things like shallow characterizations, treating science fiction tropes like jokes (stuff like outer space distances and hyperspace) and mind numbingly chaotic visuals (LENS FLARE!). Then there's this:

a3682e41551d03fb9baefeb2cfbd8218.jpg

All of Abrams' work has that bullshit mystery box nonsense. Look, I don't mind it if movies or tv have some sort of lingering mystery attached to them. But if you're not going to resolve said mystery in the same movie then don't make it the focus of your fucking plot. What we get is the shitshow that is Rey's real origins, something that Abrams didn't even plan on until he made Rise of Skywalker (still haven't seen it, and I don't plan to).

Rian Johnson is where they tried to reach out into a creative space a little bit, but still, his best is a BB episode he didn’t even write, that wasn’t anything remarkably special from a direction perspective (writing lifted that one), and his worst is a slew of mediocre movies.

The only other movie I've watched by Roundhead Rian is Looper, which I liked. So him helming The Last Jedi was a source of excitement for me and I admit to liking the film after watching it.

But hindsight is a bitch, and I now realize what a complete disaster that film was in shitting on the characters and the series as a whole. It doesn't help that Roundhead continually attacks fans for not liking his 'vision.'

The best thing they did is get Lawrence Kasdan. I think he’s why Force Awakens is kind of redeemable.

Eh. Even Lawrence Kasdan can't save a weak story with all his script polishing. I think he was wasted in The Force Awakens because he needs to be paired with a good director, but all he had was JJ Abrams. At least in The Empire Strikes Back he had Lucas and Irwin Kirshner to work with.

I just don’t know why Disney didn’t understand that Star Wars was something special, that requires insight, inspiration, and talent, that you can’t hand off to the first director in the news, and demand a return in two years. This, making a movie every year, it’s as if Disney thought they had a golden goose just automatically guaranteed to give them results, without caring for it.

At least Star Wars finally ended up back in good hands. Maybe they’ve figured it out.

They probably thought the Star Wars franchise would be money making machine much like Marvel Studios.

Thing is, Marvel has Kevin Feige, who's a huge fan of the comics and knows how to adapt the property for film with respect. Who does Star Wars have?

Kathleen-Kennedy.png

I rest my case.

I think you are underestimating Dave Filoni's influence. He was the student of Lucas and his work on Clone Wars and Rebels had the magic. Its really what got me interested in Star Wars.

I think in the end the two just have a shared vision and knocking it out of the park.

I've yet to see Clone Wars and Rebels but I'm well aware of how Dave Filoni is liked by the fandom for his respect of canon and bringing the best out of the groundwork Lucas laid out.

So long as he doesn't pull a Kurtzman on The Mandalorian, he's okay in my book.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally watched the first two. decent but felt like a step down. more pointless. more memberberries. oh we are going back to Tatooine? thank god because apparently there are only 3 planets in this galaxy.

i have to admit the music is starting to grate. sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not very good. feel like they didn't bring their A game for the first two episodes.

story wise it's really treading water. nothing engaging at all besides memberberries. feels like a lot of time killing. that first episode felt like a filler ep with a Boba Fett teaser slapped onto it. Jon Favreau isn't the best writer and it definitely felt like someone trying real hard to write a western and just being a bit too cliched about it. the whole plot of teaming up with the sand guys and the village felt like that episode about teaming up with the village to take down the AT-AT. felt like a lot of padding, like the episode could have been 10 minutes shorter and worked much better. surprise sting at the end is meh. this is the first episode? not much to hook me in tbh. just that Fett tag. they really are leaning entirely on memberberries.

second episode was slightly better. i enjoyed the spaceship stuff, how much was just him dealing w the ship. but storywise it felt pointless and even dumb. Amy Sedaris really is just an NPC giving him missions every episode, "deliver this person to this planet, it is very important (though i guess we will make comedy as Baby Yoda destroys the very important cargo)". the two x-wings showing up to save the day then decide they are jerks after all who will leave him to die made no sense to me, felt like subversion for subversion sake that only leaves me thinking "huh?". so they went out of their way to save him from a monster and then just flew away? good for Dave Feloni completing the fan fiction self insert character i guess.

Baby Yoda casually eating the eggs was supremely fucked up imo, but I guess this is Disney, infanticide is comedy. certainly fits in with their political beliefs. i guess you just have to shrug it off as comedy that he is committing genocide and apparently even after being caught and told not to, he's going to do it anyways. is this an evil character? am i supposed to think it's ok because he has big eyes? honestly it kind of disturbed me, and put together with Baby Yoda using Vader's force choke on Gina last season, it's hard to take the character seriously at all.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
finally watched the first two. decent but felt like a step down. more pointless. more memberberries. oh we are going back to Tatooine? thank god because apparently there are only 3 planets in this galaxy.

i have to admit the music is starting to grate. sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not very good. feel like they didn't bring their A game for the first two episodes.

story wise it's really treading water. nothing engaging at all besides memberberries. feels like a lot of time killing. that first episode felt like a filler ep with a Boba Fett teaser slapped onto it. Jon Favreau isn't the best writer and it definitely felt like someone trying real hard to write a western and just being a bit too cliched about it. the whole plot of teaming up with the sand guys and the village felt like that episode about teaming up with the village to take down the AT-AT. felt like a lot of padding, like the episode could have been 10 minutes shorter and worked much better. surprise sting at the end is meh.

second episode was slightly better. i enjoyed the spaceship stuff, how much was just him dealing w the ship. but storywise it felt pointless and even dumb. Amy Sedaris really is just an NPC giving him missions every episode, "deliver this person to this planet, it is very important (though i guess we will make comedy as Baby Yoda destroys the very important cargo)". the two x-wings showing up to save the day then decide they are jerks after all who will leave him to die made no sense to me, felt like subversion for subversion sake that only leaves me thinking "huh?".

Baby Yoda casually eating the eggs was supremely fucked up imo, but I guess this is Disney, infanticide is comedy. certainly fits in with their political beliefs. i guess you just have to shrug it off as comedy that he is committing genocide and apparently even after being caught and told not to, he's going to do it anyways. is this an evil character? am i supposed to think it's ok because he has big eyes? honestly it kind of disturbed me, and put together with Baby Yoda using Vader's force choke on Gina last episode, it's hard to take any of this seriously.
I bet Gina likes being choked. lol. In all seriousness, I mostly agree with you. The show is pretty to look at but it's being very safe. The Bobba Fett thing is annoying and continues on the trend of pissing on the original films. Yoda slurping the eggs should have been a one and done gag but they kept doing it. Made me dislike the little bugger for a bit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah they could have gotten away with a one off gag. i think it happened twice and i said something to my friend, "If Yoda gets away with this, that's going to be fucked up". then the alien finds out and hotwires a robot so that she can tell them in plain English "Don't eat my babies". then it happens again! she is in a bath with the babies and he's scooping them up. he does it like 4 or 5 times, it’s definitely on purpose. They are training kids to think abortion is ok from a young age by normalizing infanticide.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

yeah they could have gotten away with a one off gag. i think it happened twice and i said something to my friend, "If Yoda gets away with this, that's going to be fucked up". then the alien finds out and hotwires a robot so that she can tell them in plain English "Don't eat my babies". then it happens again! she is in a bath with the babies and he's scooping them up. he does it like 4 or 5 times, it’s definitely on purpose. They are training kids to think abortion is ok from a young age by normalizing infanticide.

33tEI3F.jpg

nom nom nom

-Arcadia-

Banned

Or it’s just... dark humor?

The humor is that it’s uncomfortable and kind of awful, contrasted against such a cute thing, but understandable from a rules of nature/food chain perspective. It’s also playing a bit on how children and pets get up to unstoppable mischief, when they have an idea in their head.

Combined with the pacing and comedic timing of constantly cutting to him eating an egg or trying, it works.

Don’t let ClownWorld break you. Sometimes a joke is just a joke.

JimiNutz

Banned
I find The Child funny but am not under any illusions that he's a 'good' character.
I see that cheeky little look he gives Mando when he either witnesses someone getting killed or he does something naughty himself.

The child is learning the ways of death and he's enjoying himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he grows up to be a bit of a monster. Dark side Yoda Jr.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Or it’s just... dark humor?

The humor is that it’s uncomfortable and kind of awful, contrasted against such a cute thing, but understandable from a rules of nature/food chain perspective. It’s also playing a bit on how children and pets get up to unstoppable mischief, when they have an idea in their head.

Combined with the pacing and comedic timing of constantly cutting to him eating an egg or trying, it works.

Don’t let ClownWorld break you. Sometimes a joke is just a joke.
cool, it's a joke. i get that. but you can't just throw in a joke and expect it NOT to effect the greater story. "General hugs your mommy is on the phone?" was also a joke. it ended up neutering the bad guys at the start of that film. you can't just make jokes without it influencing the story.

it tells me that Yoda is an asshole. it tells me he is either too stupid to understand English, or he is an evil dickhead. it also tells me that Mando is shitty at his job. like, his job is delivering this cargo, and 1/3rd of it disappears on the way. you guys don't see any issue in this? making the main characters both stupid, incompetent, and possibly evil? you see no issue with that at all?

look i get it, it's a joke. but this isn't a comedy. furthermore if "turn off your brain" is the only acceptable way to interact with this show, that's some bullshit. lol fuck that.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I find The Child funny but am not under any illusions that he's a 'good' character.
I see that cheeky little look he gives Mando when he either witnesses someone getting killed or he does something naughty himself.

The child is learning the ways of death and he's enjoying himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he grows up to be a bit of a monster. Dark side Yoda Jr.

The Child is just taking inspiration from Daigoro from the show's biggest influence, Lone Wolf and Cub.

Lone%20Wolf%20and%20Cub%20comics.jpg

For those who don't know, Daigoro is the cub to Itto Ogami's wolf. Itto is a former executioner for the Shogun who is framed by his enemies the Yagyu clan and forced to commit seppuku (ritual suicide). But Ogami says fuck that and chooses to become a hired assassin to take his revenge. But before that, he gives his infant son Daigoro a choice of a ball or a sword. Whether to join his murdered mother in the afterlife (the ball) or join his father on the assassin's road to Hell (the sword).

FRBURh2.jpg

Daigoro of course chooses the sword. And throughout the manga many comment on what unnerving and somewhat frightening child he is. While he is a kid who does normal kid stuff, he's unusually stoic and not at all frightened by anything unlike normal children. This is because he's been exposed to violence since before he could walk and is quite used to seeing his father cut down people left and right.

daigoro-movie-still-Cropped-Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-10-Greatest-Issues-in-the-Entire-Series-and-Why.jpg

I don't think The Mandalorian will quite reach the levels of graphic violence that Lone Wolf and Cub did, but I definitely think the Child being exposed to death at such a young age will definitely play a part in his development as a character. Whether it's for good or ill remains to be seen.

d407eed4646eebbd1de607f44a821c71.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fwiw im not projecting some political message where there is none. do people entirely forget that this happened?

they are an actively pro-abortion company. i'm not a frothing conspiracy theorist here, just pointing out objective fact.

dan76

What happened to this thread? Jeez, it's just a bit of humour. This show doesn't seem to be too effected by the current political climate (thank fuck), just enjoy it.

Just in case you hadn't realised it, in this version of Star Wars life is cheap, and it's survival of the fittest, which is why the character of the Mandalorian is so good.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Beyond the moral implications, you have all heard of Zombie Simpsons? the theory that as Homer became more outlandish and cartoonish the show lost its heart and went downhill? the Baby Yoda reaction shot I feel is a similarly a creatives stagnating cliche. Now it is hurting the main story, which was about Mando delivering these eggs. It makes Mando look incompetent, this joke repeated 5 or 6 times. To me that’s a sign things are going downhill.

I just would like a reason beyond Baby Yoda to watch this show tbh. Every thing else is great but it’s hard to take the rest of it in when he is breaking the immersion.

On one level I do appreciate the humor don’t get me wrong. It’s the same humor the Hindu legends play with in the stories of Baby Krishna, who would get caught eating from pots of honey and butter, only to be revealed to be some all powerful cosmic being when confronted. The mischievousness and how his mortal human hosts reacted to it was the source of humor and it revealed a moral truth. You could think about each circumstance. With Yoda it’s just, whatever, don’t think, consume product. I’m not allowed to discuss it without people calling me clown world or so other ad hominem. People can’t interrogate the content, so they don’t even try.

Im sorry. I’m trying to get into the story and enjoying the show, Mando is helping this lady. If it was a joke, fine, do it once. Do it three times even. Here they did it way too many times and even had a character point it out as shitty. I can’t ignore it as a joke when they themselves are pointing to it in the show!

My only question is, is that on purpose? Maybe Baby Yoda is a secret Sith or some cool twist that explains his dark side tendencies. If that isn’t true and all this was just one joke hammered over and over and the lampshading was just “look how clever we are as writers” then it will confirm all my suspicions of these hacks.

This is really my biggest problem with new SW they could farm work out to so many amazing writers and instead it’s the same people already directing and shit writing them too. I’m not a fan. Luckily this is so well produced it is worth watching muted alone.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Also the x-wings I get that they were trying to make them seem like busybodies maybe a bit like post Empire the New Republic was a police state. Ok. Is this canon with the sequel trilogy? Where the New Republic didn’t do shit to stop the First Order from coming to power? Because they had disbanded much of their military? Those guys are the police state interrogating random ships for IDs? Really? New Republic is so heavily patrolling the Galaxy they are investigating random ships and yet they didn’t see the First Order coming? I guess we are pretending things were entirely different so we can show x-wings in between Baby Yoda committing genocide?

I didn’t understand the x-wing stuff at all. The world building is really falling apart for me. Good for turning your brain off. Not very deep for the non brain dead.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Beyond the moral implications, you have all heard of Zombie Simpsons? the theory that as Homer became more outlandish and cartoonish the show lost its heart and went downhill? the Baby Yoda reaction shot I feel is a similarly a creatives stagnating cliche. Now it is hurting the main story, which was about Mando delivering these eggs. It makes Mando look incompetent, this joke repeated 5 or 6 times. To me that’s a sign things are going downhill.

I just would like a reason beyond Baby Yoda to watch this show tbh. Every thing else is great but it’s hard to take the rest of it in when he is breaking the immersion.

On one level I do appreciate the humor don’t get me wrong. It’s the same humor the Hindu legends play with in the stories of Baby Krishna, who would get caught eating from pots of honey and butter, only to be revealed to be some all powerful cosmic being when confronted. The mischievousness and how his mortal human hosts reacted to it was the source of humor and it revealed a moral truth. You could think about each circumstance. With Yoda it’s just, whatever, don’t think, consume product. I’m not allowed to discuss it without people calling me clown world or so other ad hominem. People can’t interrogate the content, so they don’t even try.

Im sorry. I’m trying to get into the story and enjoying the show, Mando is helping this lady. If it was a joke, fine, do it once. Do it three times even. Here they did it way too many times and even had a character point it out as shitty. I can’t ignore it as a joke when they themselves are pointing to it in the show!

My only question is, is that on purpose? Maybe Baby Yoda is a secret Sith or some cool twist that explains his dark side tendencies. If that isn’t true and all this was just one joke hammered over and over and the lampshading was just “look how clever we are as writers” then it will confirm all my suspicions of these hacks.

This is really my biggest problem with new SW they could farm work out to so many amazing writers and instead it’s the same people already directing and shit writing them too. I’m not a fan. Luckily this is so well produced it is worth watching muted alone.

I understand your concerns, even if I don't agree with them. And no, I don't think you're overreacting and people accusing of being in clown world is a weak argument. Not everyone should unconditionally like something even if the majority does. There were some reactors on Youtube who thought the egg joke was going to far.

Personally I think Baby Yoda eating those eggs was hilarious in a dark way but that's just me.

SirTerry-T

I don't mind the episodic nature of the show. To me it feels like a hark back to all those American Western shows I would see in the UK on a Sunday afternoon...Bonanza, The High Chaparral, etc. All that gorgeous artwork we see over the end credits helps too. There's a nostalgia about it that's very appealing.
Best Star Wars stuff I've watched in years but I'm only a filthy casual where SW is concerned :)

-Arcadia-

Banned
#Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# , have you ever had a pet? More specifically, have you ever had a cute, fluffy thing that you loved, do something like devour an insect, kill a mouse, take down a bird?

It can be kind of horrifying, yet it's simply in the nature of the animal. It isn't being evil. It's following it's instincts, which exist for it to eat and stay alive.

The humor here is based on that. The Child is a toddler, that can't speak, much less another's language, can't really reason, and comes from a species that, we're led to believe, have a quite wild diet.

And no, I don't think you're overreacting and people accusing of being in clown world is a weak argument.

Re-read. I never accused him of being in ClownWorld. I said it can break you. When you're being bombarded by political messages in entertainment every day, it's hard not to see everything like that.

cool, it's a joke. i get that. but you can't just throw in a joke and expect it NOT to effect the greater story. "General hugs your mommy is on the phone?" was also a joke. it ended up neutering the bad guys at the start of that film. you can't just make jokes without it influencing the story.

it tells me that Yoda is an asshole. it tells me he is either too stupid to understand English, or he is an evil dickhead. it also tells me that Mando is shitty at his job. like, his job is delivering this cargo, and 1/3rd of it disappears on the way. you guys don't see any issue in this? making the main characters both stupid, incompetent, and possibly evil? you see no issue with that at all?

look i get it, it's a joke. but this isn't a comedy. furthermore if "turn off your brain" is the only acceptable way to interact with this show, that's some bullshit. lol fuck that.
You can be glad you weren't around in the 80ies. You'd be constantly triggered.

I loved this episode and the one before.
I love the slightly picaresque episodic nature of it. It feels a bit like watching Knight Rider or A-Team with a bit more cohesiveness.
It got original Star wars weirdness with creatures like Doctor Mandible, that western/samurai movie feel, nice characterizations (very important in a Star Wars movie), plus amazing effects work.
Love the slightly dark humor with Baby Yoda eating the eggs.

He was just acting like a baby/ small child. There is no deeper meaning.
If you had children yourself you would have exactly experienced stuff like this countless times where you child does shitty and dark stuff, and you are a bit horrified but also chuckle because it's a bit hilarious at the same time.

This show really gets Star Wars and gives me a bit of hope for the franchise which has been in shambles since 1983 apart from some stuff in the Extended Universe.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

He was just acting like a baby/ small child. There is no deeper meaning.
If you had children yourself you would have exactly experienced stuff like this countless times where you child does shitty and dark stuff, and you are a bit horrified but also chuckle because it's a bit hilarious at the same time.

This show really gets Star Wars and gives me a bit of hope for the franchise which has been in shambles since 1983 apart from some stuff in the Extended Universe.

Exactly. I mean, kids from toddler to 3 years of age are cute and precocious but sometimes they can be absolute little shits because they don't know any better. It's why I think people who are against corporal punishment for kids are full of it because they don't know what it takes to discipline a child.

farmerboy

Cmon man

JimiNutz

Banned
I get the Daigoro comparisons and agree that it's likely what they've been inspired by for The Child given that the Lone Wolf and Cub influence is so strong.

I think it would be absolutely hilarious if they went full evil Yoda though. I know it's never gonna happen under Disney Star Wars and I know it would also probably piss off most people that love The Child but for me at least it'd be highly entertaining and a welcome development lol

uOR9lPz.jpg

Oberstein

I wonder for how many more seasons the baby Yoda gimmick is going to make trouble while badass mandalorian solves the problems. It's cool, there are good references, but maybe we should take it to the next level. We're not in the 90s anymore.
That said, it's cool and fun to watch, not like the crappy movies.

Last edited:

HarryKS

It's boring now. Saw it coming from mile out, the model they're using is not fit for modern times and shorter runs with big budgets.

I thought the two episodes so far were great.

I love seeing the more mundane aspects of the SW universe, it's what made the OT feel "real" back in the day. Not the huge Imperial Starships, but the trips to get power converters, and things being dirty all the time, and all that.

Having them tie in other SW stories (relatively organically) is just gravy.

The Baby Yoda egg eating was hilarious, the comedic timing on the puppet was perfectly done each time. Bravo.

Also the x-wings I get that they were trying to make them seem like busybodies maybe a bit like post Empire the New Republic was a police state. Ok. Is this canon with the sequel trilogy? Where the New Republic didn’t do shit to stop the First Order from coming to power? Because they had disbanded much of their military? Those guys are the police state interrogating random ships for IDs? Really? New Republic is so heavily patrolling the Galaxy they are investigating random ships and yet they didn’t see the First Order coming? I guess we are pretending things were entirely different so we can show x-wings in between Baby Yoda committing genocide?

I didn’t understand the x-wing stuff at all. The world building is really falling apart for me. Good for turning your brain off. Not very deep for the non brain dead.

The Mandalorian takes places 5 years'ish after ROTJ, the sequel trilogy is something like 35+ years after ROTJ. So the activities of a couple New Republic X-wings in Mando has almost zero bearing on the result we see in the ST.

We know that the Empire is defeated, but clearly not 100% gone, as we see Moff Gideon still has some forces under his control. I would guess the right thing for the New Republic to do is inspect and talk to folks (who are not broadcasting a standard beacon) to make sure they're not up to something nefarious. I doubt they would have bothered the Razor Crest if it was squawking like it should.. then again, they ran the info when he did and chased him, so either was he was probably due for some negative attention.

So far I think all of the stories have taken place in the Outer Rim of the SW galaxy, which is more like the wild space west anyway, and not exactly a New Republic or Empire stronghold (even in the OT IIRC). At any rate, two fighters ("against a star destroyer?!") doing a patrol =/= "heavily patrolling".

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I mean I didn't think it was funny but I'm not upset about it.

The species likes to eat anything and clearly craves meat. They live a long time they need food. He is a kid and no one to really discipline him or communicate with him.

I wonder for how many more seasons the baby Yoda gimmick is going to make trouble while badass mandalorian solves the problems.
I see Baby Yoda as something like in those classic series like Knight Rider or Fall Guy. There often was some kind of sidekick that was just there for comedic relief or some silliness.

This story line doesn't really need to get "resolved" imo.

It's cool, there are good references, but maybe we should take it to the next level. We're not in the 90s anymore.
How would that look like? The typical overarching storyline we have in every shit today?
I feel people are so fed up with this as well.
We can have both styles, imo. And I am glad Mandalorian does it this way.

That said, it's cool and fun to watch, not like the crappy movies.
Amen, brother.

Top Bottom