• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

GreyHorace

CHAPTER 11 THE HEIRESS

Welp. Not exactly as good as the first two episodes of the season, but I still enjoyed it. Bryce Dallas Howard again at the director's chair and while I can say she does an ok job it's nothing spectacular.

Lots of lore and world building in this episode so here's my thoughts:

Thrask - A water planet populated by numerous aquatic species, including the Mon Calamari and the squid like Quarren (last time I saw them was in KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords). Nice to see them given a focus much like the Tusken Raiders in the season premiere.

Katee Sackoff - Playing Bo Katan of Clan Kryze and the heiress of the title it seems. I always liked Sackoff even when Battlestar Galactica was turning to shit. I think she does an ok job here but fuck if I know if she's doing the character justice since I never watched Clone Wars.

Mando factions - We find out that Din Djarin is a child of the Watch, a clan of zealots who adhere to the "True Way of Mandalore." So of course he's distrustful of other Mandalorians who don't adhere to his code. I've a feeling this will be one of the major plot points of the season which is bringing the Mando clans together under Bo Katan's rule. She's already made it clear she's looking for the Dark Saber, which we saw last season in Moff Gideon's hands.

Mandos in action - Nice to see what Mandalorians are capable of as a group. Some nice action set pieces and probably a preview of what's to come later in the season.

Ahsoka Tano - I like how the show doesn't pussyfoot around with keeping her identity a mystery. Bo Katan mentions her by name and directs Mando to her location. Looking forward to seeing Rosario Dawson in the role.

Baby Yoda being cute - After the hilariously dark shit that he did in the last episode, it was nice to see him behave himself when Mando left him with the frog couple. Maybe he's regretful of eating their children with the way he played with the tadpole. Thought I suspect he'd eat it if they weren't looking.

All in all. Decent episode. Show continues to deliver.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I thought this was the best of the episodes so far and they seem to be on an upward trend, and at a faster pace towards the Main Story than they did last year. If you are a Clone Wars and Rebels fan, you're really going to like this one. Overall I am beginning to buy into the theory I've read this this series is Dave Filoni's continuation of Rebels, it's just in live action and from another character's point of view. I think Filoni and Favreau are a great team and are doing a fantastic job on this show.

Katee Sackhoff IS Bo-Katan Kryze - she voiced the character in the animated series

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought this was the best of the episodes so far and they seem to be on an upward trend, and at a faster pace towards the Main Story than they did last year. If you are a Clone Wars and Rebels fan, you're really going to like this one. Overall I am beginning to buy into the theory I've read this this series is Dave Filoni's continuation of Rebels, it's just in live action and from another character's point of view. I think Filoni and Favreau are a great team and are doing a fantastic job on this show.

Katee Sackhoff IS Bo-Katan Kryze - she voiced the character in the animated series

Filoni and Favereu do seem like a great combo.
Wasn't Fiege supposed to join Lucasfilm as well to work on Star Wars?

Hopefully there's some better talent working with the franchise now and we can expect the quality to keep on improving.

GreyHorace

I think this is more Jon Favreau's project than Dave FIloni's, though Filoni is providing input and incorporating some of his ideas into the mix. But again, I can't really be a judge of it since I've never watched Clone Wars (been meaning to) or Rebels. I just hope the plotline regarding Bo Katan taking back Mandalore is more in the background than the forefront. This show is about Mando and the Child and should remain the focus.

Also, didn't know Katee Sackhoff played Bo-Katan in Clone Wars. I guess it was a no-brainer to cast her in the show. I'm not complaining though.

Atrus

Gold Member
Loved Episode 3 and how they're tieing it all in back to Star Wars Rebels.

Boba Fett, Bo-Katan, and now Ahsoka? Fantastic! Sabine Wren can't be far behind and I wonder if they got to finding Ezra by now or if he's still in parts unknown.

Romulus

Really curious how they'll handle a full on force user trained in the Jedi arts.

Ashoka is no joke and she should be shown as powerful. She literally took on one of the most powerful Siths.

JimiNutz

Banned
Another solid episode and agree that they seem to be improving each time.

I really hope they do Ashoka justice. One of the best things about Mando has been the lack of Jedi up until this point so I hope they handle her introduction well.

So Sasha Banks wasn't playing Sabine in the end or is that still possibly her?

New episode amazing as well.

They continue to be flawless Star Wars (with the small exception of that Boba tease ;) in ep1 )
I wonder how they will do once the stupid Jedi shit enters.

This universe is so much better when it's just showing the fringes and little stuff going on.

People are so tired of that retarded Jedi/Sith/Skywalker bullshit in Star Wars.

Romulus

New episode amazing as well.

They continue to be flawless Star Wars (with the small exception of that Boba tease ;) in ep1 )

This universe is so much better when it's just showing the fringes and little stuff going on.

I disagree that people don't want Jedi and Sith. I think they want good Jedi and Sith stories.

GreyHorace

I disagree that people don't want Jedi and Sith. I think they want good Jedi and Sith stories.

I think the problem with Star Wars is that tended to focus too much on the Force and the Jedi/Sith dichotomy. We've had 9 mainline movies where Jedi are the main protagonists.

Aside from Rogue One and Solo, The Mandalorian is the one of the only big Star Wars media property to focus on a non Jedi protagonist. Like Stiflers Mom Stiflers Mom said, the universe is big enough to feature other characters and stories.

Romulus

I think the problem with Star Wars is that tended to focus too much on the Force and the Jedi/Sith dichotomy. We've had 9 mainline movies where Jedi are the main protagonists.

Aside from Rogue One and Solo, The Mandalorian is the one of the only big Star Wars media property to focus on a non Jedi protagonist. Like Stiflers Mom Stiflers Mom said, the universe is big enough to feature other characters and stories.

And that's fine not to focus on force users, but it doesn't mean we can't have them as side characters. The problem is the most of the jedi stories are trash. Just take a look at fan made jedi and sith stories on YouTube, they're crazy popular. Even if they're not great.

Even reimagining of old fight scenes are popular. This is actually incredible.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned

It's weird, going into the ST I was ALL about the Jedi vs Sith.

I have always loved sword combat in general and the lightsaber is an incredibly cool 'sword'. The lightsaber duels were often my favourite thing about Star Wars as a franchise.

I also enjoy philosophy and despite not being a religious person I am interested in Buddhism so the warrior monk archetype of the Jedi really appealing to me.

For some reason the ST completely killed any interest I had in the Jedi or Sith though and find it really ironic that despite having such a huge interest in the Jedi & Sith my favourite Disney Star Wars media is Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Another part of the Star Wars universe that I always appreciated were the star fighters (X-Wings, A-Wings, Tie Fighters etc.)
I'd love to see a Top Gun style film or show based on X-Wing pilots.

GreyHorace

And that's fine not to focus on force users, but it doesn't mean we can't have them as side characters.

This right here is what I want. Jedi and Sith are always going to be part of the universe. But for now I'd like them to take a backseat or a supporting role in the meanwhile and let other characters take center stage.

To be honest, I'm kind of worried of Ahsoka Tano's appearance in the next episode. I don't want her to steal the spotlight from Mando just because she's a popular character. The show is called The Mandalorian, not Dave Filoni's Jedi Waifu.

The problem is the most of the jedi stories are trash. Just take a look at fan made jedi and sith stories on YouTube, they're crazy popular. Even if they're not great.

I've never watched much Star Wars fan productions. Don't think any of them are worth my time.

Besides, I don't think they'd ever top the GOAT fan film.

I have always loved sword combat in general and the lightsaber is an incredibly cool 'sword'. The lightsaber duels were often my favourite thing about Star Wars as a franchise.

I also enjoy philosophy and despite not being a religious person I am interested in Buddhism so the warrior monk archetype of the Jedi really appealing to me.

For some reason the ST completely killed any interest I had in the Jedi or Sith though and find it really ironic that despite having such a huge interest in the Jedi & Sith my favourite Disney Star Wars media is Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Another part of the Star Wars universe that I always appreciated were the star fighters (X-Wings, A-Wings, Tie Fighters etc.)

Well like I said earlier in the thread. The Sequel trilogy was made by people with only a surface level understanding of what makes Star Wars work.

rian-johnson-jj-abrams-2159926.jpg

While The Mandalorian is made by people who've taken inspiration from the stuff that influenced George Lucas when he created his outer space movie back in the 70's.

Jon-Favreau-and-Dave-Filoni.jpg

Last edited:
And that's fine not to focus on force users, but it doesn't mean we can't have them as side characters. The problem is the most of the jedi stories are trash.

Not only are most Jedi/Sith stories trash, the problem is inherent within that whole type of character.
You have basically what (these days) amounts to a weak Spiderman in regards to power level in what is still a fantasy space opera in its essence with normal people walking around that are maybe great pilots or talented gunslingers.

It's hard to write real challenges for these overpowered type of characters.
It kind of worked in the OT, because it was more of a character background, plus a bit of telekinesis, clairvoyance and hypnosis woven in as force powers.

Superhero stories have super villains for this, and in SW, the Jedi have the Sith.
So, Jedi as side characters that don't overtake the story line is a difficult endeavour.

Looking forward how they will solve this with Ahsoka.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Loved Episode 3 and how they're tieing it all in back to Star Wars Rebels.

Boba Fett, Bo-Katan, and now Ahsoka? Fantastic! Sabine Wren can't be far behind and I wonder if they got to finding Ezra by now or if he's still in parts unknown.
If Ezra is back they could also maybe bring back Thrawn :messenger_open_mouth:

MagnesD3

It’s because the ST completely destroys the mysticism of the force and turns it into dumb superpowers.

I just blot the ST out of my mind when watching mando, it’s best to pretend it didn’t happen, unlike even the worst of the prequels it has 0 value for the universe.

Last edited:

Romulus

This right here is what I want. Jedi and Sith are always going to be part of the universe. But for now I'd like them to take a backseat or a supporting role in the meanwhile and let other characters take center stage.

To be honest, I'm kind of worried of Ahsoka Tano's appearance in the next episode. I don't want her to steal the spotlight from Mando just because she's a popular character. The show is called The Mandalorian, not Dave Filoni's Jedi Waifu.

I've never watched much Star Wars fan productions. Don't think any of them are worth my time.

Besides, I don't think they'd ever top the GOAT fan film.

Well like I said earlier in the thread. The Sequel trilogy was made by people with only a surface level understanding of what makes Star Wars work.

rian-johnson-jj-abrams-2159926.jpg

While The Mandalorian is made by people who've taken inspiration from the stuff that influenced George Lucas when he created his outer space movie back in the 70's.

Jon-Favreau-and-Dave-Filoni.jpg

I know most fan films are trash but you should really watch that reimagined fight scene with obi and Vader. Its worth any star wars fans time.

Romulus

Not only are most Jedi/Sith stories trash, the problem is inherent within that whole type of character.
You have basically what (these days) amounts to a weak Spiderman in regards to power level in what is still a fantasy space opera in its essence with normal people walking around that are maybe great pilots or talented gunslingers.

It's hard to write real challenges for these overpowered type of characters.
It kind of worked in the OT, because it was more of a character background, plus a bit of telekinesis, clairvoyance and hypnosis woven in as force powers.

Superhero stories have super villains for this, and in SW, the Jedi have the Sith.
So, Jedi as side characters that don't overtake the story line is a difficult endeavour.

Looking forward how they will solve this with Ahsoka.

The problem is just writing in general in these days. A good writer would have no problem with that, but we're so used to the new trilogy and everything seems like a challenge, even the simplest backgrounds and character arcs.

Even Lucas managed it decently in the prequels and hes not a great writer. Now we have all these woke SJW warrior pushing agendas over good stories.

I think that Assasin driod from season 1 is a good example of writing a OP character. That thing was nearly unstoppable on the battlefield and murdered like 30 guys in one fight but it had a weakness. Ashoka, etc could all have weaknesses now, mental anguish from the clone wars for example where their more reclusive, hermit type characters that only use their force powers at opportune times.

You just give them 1 or 2 angles of being powerful with a clear weakness. Or another character/group that can neutralize or suppress their powers.

For example that Tie pilot with the blade could have been Vaders first in command hunting jedi, and have his own squad of troopers specifically trained in it.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Yeah this latest episode was definitely the best of the season so far. I am liking the trend of having cool guest stars as well. I do hope they wrap up the Child storyline this season though, the whole situation is starting to feel played out and Id love to see where the show goes without this anchor holding Mando down.

Ballthyrm

I don't think they are going to go that way, they are going to want to prop up Ashoka as her own character deserving of a series.

Probably the one that is in the works right now.

Also, Ashoka isn't a Jedi , and probably the best written character in all of star wars.

dan76

Eh, it was ok. It was cool to see some Stormtroopers in an imperial looking ship. That whole sequence was great. Not sure about the other Mandalorians. In general there are a few too many instances of Mando being rescued from near death situations. Happened twice this episode and with those x-wing pilots last episode. Plus if he's ever really stuck there is baby Yoda's wiggly fingers. Still, the quality hasn't dropped and it was way better than Bryce Dallas Howard's last episode.

I agree wth Stifler, I don't want Jedi or the force in this show. It was handled perfectly in the OT - now it's just magical super powers and it's boring.

sobaka770

Banned
Why is it so short? I'd take a 10 minute scene of Mandalorians talking in the inn any time, but 30 minutes? I need my Star Wars fix! Goddamn it, I hope next episodes will go back to the 40-50 minute length.

Otherwise the episode was very good, great to see Katie Sackhoff (still with that Starbuck grin though) and ties with Clone Wars and Rebels. If they nail Boba Fett and Ahsoka, this will be peak Star Wars.

GreyHorace

I know most fan films are trash but you should really watch that reimagined fight scene with obi and Vader. Its worth any star wars fans time.

I've watched the SC 38 reimagined vid and liked it. But I think it's largely pointless since it does nothing original with Star Wars.

Unlike Troops, which goes beyond being a parody of the TV show COPS and has hilarious tie in with the original trilogy.

The problem is just writing in general in these days. A good writer would have no problem with that, but we're so used to the new trilogy and everything seems like a challenge, even the simplest backgrounds and character arcs.

Even Lucas managed it decently in the prequels and hes not a great writer. Now we have all these woke SJW warrior pushing agendas over good stories.

I think that Assasin driod from season 1 is a good example of writing a OP character. That thing was nearly unstoppable on the battlefield and murdered like 30 guys in one fight but it had a weakness. Ashoka, etc could all have weaknesses now, mental anguish from the clone wars for example where their more reclusive, hermit type characters that only use their force powers at opportune times.

You just give them 1 or 2 angles of being powerful with a clear weakness. Or another character/group that can neutralize or suppress their powers.

For example that Tie pilot with the blade could have been Vaders first in command hunting jedi, and have his own squad of troopers specifically trained in it.

I don't think giving OP characters a weakness is really the solution. You just have to give them an interesting character arc from which the audience can identify with and root for them.

Take Cal Kestis from the recent Jedi Fallen Order videogame.

Cal's whole arc in the game is about overcoming his trauma and survivors guilt over the events of Order 66. Because of the guilt he feels for having 'failed' to save his Master at a crucial moment, Cal has largely forgotten his Jedi training as he feels no longer worthy of it. But as you guide him through the game he slowly regains these abilities and he's finally able to confront his demons and fulfill his full potential.

Cal for me is one the best Star Wars protagonists and I'm honestly surprised that the shithouse that is EA managed to craft such a good character with a great backstory.

On The Mandalorian, Din Djarin's whole character arc is about overcoming his cold methodology and self preservation instincts in order to protect the Child with whom he feels an attachment for. And the series shows the consequences of this, as he's constantly being hunted by the Empire and other bounty hunters who want to claim the Child. And that's what makes us root for him as an audience.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-15-at-10.17.12-AM.png

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
It was ok, but I've gotta say the whole 'Stormtroopers can't fight for shit' thing is already getting pretty tired. I wonder if the whole Mandalorians removing their helmets thing might ultimately result in Mando eschewing the rules of "The Watch" and Pedro Pascal getting to take the helmet off. I know that there was some rumour doing the rounds about him getting a bit pissed off with it all, but I dare say those Disney Cheques are likely pretty sweet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Was that a Gozanti cruiser they hijacked? I think I have a lego set of that thing from Rebels, maybe even an X-wing battles model as well. Probably the only 'new' ship design since the PT worth a shit. All the ST designs are terrible.

That was easily the weakest episode of the three for me, this season. No big cool monsters to slay or flee from and because I never watched Rebels (?), Im not really excited to see the new Mandalore chick. The Empire and its Stormtroopers are just punching bags yet again. Pretty sad in particular how their blaster fire is so useless against Mando. I was surprised that the Empire Captain was so readily prepared to go full Kamikaze. I didnt know those guys were so dedicated.
It was still okay-ish. I did laugh when Mando tried (and failed) to land his busted up spaceship.

Romulus

I've watched the SC 38 reimagined vid and liked it. But I think it's largely pointless since it does nothing original with Star Wars.

Unlike Troops, which goes beyond being a parody of the TV show COPS and has hilarious tie in with the original trilogy.

I don't think giving OP characters a weakness is really the solution. You just have to give them an interesting character arc from which the audience can identify with and root for them.

Take Cal Kestis from the recent Jedi Fallen Order videogame.

Cal's whole arc in the game is about overcoming his trauma and survivors guilt over the events of Order 66. Because of the guilt he feels for having 'failed' to save his Master at a crucial moment, Cal has largely forgotten his Jedi training as he feels no longer worthy of it. But as you guide him through the game he slowly regains these abilities and he's finally able to confront his demons and fulfill his full potential.

Cal for me is one the best Star Wars protagonists and I'm honestly surprised that the shithouse that is EA managed to craft such a good character with a great backstory.

On The Mandalorian, Din Djarin's whole character arc is about overcoming his cold methodology and self preservation instincts in order to protect the Child with whom he feels an attachment for. And the series shows the consequences of this, as he's constantly being hunted by the Empire and other bounty hunters who want to claim the Child. And that's what makes us root for him as an audience.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-15-at-10.17.12-AM.png

The fan film was not intended to be anything new. That wasn't why I recommended it.

For OP characters, my point was not that giving them a weakness is the only solution, it's that there are so many options that it's really a non factor if you have a good writer. A weakness is just one of many, many options if you have a solid character arc

Last edited:
First episode was great, second episode was great, this episode was great.

My god can they even make bad episodes? this series is awsome.
Jon Faveru and Dave Filoni gets cancelled by Kathleen Kennedy because they're not letting enough females take on important roles / being writers, directors or something gets dug up from their past, and queue Kathleen Kennedy destroying it by taking over the project.

That's when you get shit episodes

I think you are mistaking the horse for the carriage.

Even Lucas managed it decently in the prequels
Sorry, but no, he didn't.
The prequels were horrible and introduced many of the problems rampant in Star Wars of today.

I think that Assasin driod from season 1 is a good example of writing a OP character. That thing was nearly unstoppable on the battlefield and murdered like 30 guys in one fight but it had a weakness.
That IG unit being so OP was one of the weakest aspects of the first season, imo.
If you could create aim bots like that, why even bother with Stormtroopers? Why don't have space ships automatic aim computers with turrets in them, so the pilots don't have to fire straight in front of them?

It was a bit like the Holdo maneuvre. This thing doesn't make sense in the context of the established rules of the universe.

Ashoka, etc could all have weaknesses now, mental anguish from the clone wars for example where their more reclusive, hermit type characters that only use their force powers at opportune times.

It's still boring and OP in a universe that's primarily lived in by normal people.
Yet we had 95% of movie SW content being created about these magic fighting monks.

It's so refreshing that Mandalorian wasn't about that so far.
I hope they keep it like this.

Or, how about doing something else with this vast universe, and forget about that shitty over explored part of the lore for once in a while.

Romulus

I think you are mistaking the horse for the carriage.

Sorry, but no, he didn't.
The prequels were horrible and introduced many of the problems rampant in Star Wars of today.

That IG unit being so OP was one of the weakest aspects of the first season, imo.
If you could create aim bots like that, why even bother with Stormtroopers? Why don't have space ships automatic aim computers with turrets in them, so the pilots don't have to fire straight in front of them?

It was a bit like the Holdo maneuvre. This thing doesn't make sense in the context of the established rules of the universe.

It's still boring and OP in a universe that's primarily lived in by normal people.
Yet we had 95% of movie SW content being created about these magic fighting monks.

It's so refreshing that Mandalorian wasn't about that so far.
I hope they keep it like this.

Or, how about doing something else with this vast universe, and forget about that shitty over explored part of the lore for once in a while.

Be specific about your about your first claim. I think you could be misunderstanding or misquoted me.

The prequels were bad, but that wasn't my point. Lucas dealt with OP character arcs well enough to move the plot fine, even thought it was convoluted and badly written at times. He's just not a capable writer anymore though. Revenge of the Sith was something though in terms of pulling together that story and managing several extremely OP characters. I mean try and name some examples of movies that many iconic characters that all needed a bowtie.

You missed my point with the IG. He wasn't OP because he could easily be outsmarted or tricked. You can "why not" about many things in stars wars, half the shit is bad science or doesn't make any sense at all. Even simple things like the Mandalorian visors don't make sense, incredibly limited FOV just to look cool.

I mean if you like Mando and the current direction that's fine. I like it but the character is a clumsy dumbass half the time that's not well written. I like it because of the adventure.

And theres nothing wrong with showing force users being OP when mando trips over his own feet. Theres no risk to his legitimacy because we see him get fucked up constantly already.

You just haven't convinced me outside of your own personal opinions. You dont like wizards, you want cowboys etc. But many of the movies did Jedi's badly. Hell Boba Fett was a complete clown in the OT, but he got a second chance.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Boob armor does not matter in a world where your average weapon is a laser gun or modern firearm.

Boob armor kinda matters in a world where your average weapon is of the medieval type.

Kenpachii

Jon Faveru and Dave Filoni gets cancelled by Kathleen Kennedy because they're not letting enough females take on important roles / being writers, directors or something gets dug up from their past, and queue Kathleen Kennedy destroying it by taking over the project.

That's when you get shit episodes

No clue who any of those are.

God Anita Sarkeesian is damn insufferable.

Then stop advertising her. She searches outrage because that's what rolls her bank account.

Last edited:

Ionian

Boob armor does not matter in a world where your average weapon is a laser gun or modern firearm.

Boob armor kinda matters in a world where your average weapon is of the medieval type.

Yes, women in military and Police forces, not to mention athletes (especially contact sports) have NEVER, used chest armour. :D

Also the Mandolorians user Beskar armour, it takes the brunt of a laser.

LMAO.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Yes, women in military and Police forces, not to mention athletes (especially contact sports) have NEVER, used chest armour. :D

Also the Mandolorians user Beskar armour, it takes the brunt of a laser.

LMAO.

I'm not sure if you're missing the point or agreeing with me. It's not the armor, it's the shape of the armor. Hence the "boob" part. Curvature is less of a concern against projectiles and light beams, but definitely a consideration against swords and the like.

A female Mandalorian can wear whatever shape armor she wants, is what I'm saying.

Ionian

I'm not sure if you're missing the point or agreeing with me. It's not the armor, it's the shape of the armor. Hence the "boob" part. Curvature is less of a concern against projectiles and light beams, but definitely a consideration against swords and the like.

A female Mandalorian can wear whatever shape armor she wants, is what I'm saying.

What I was pointing to was the fact that armour for women is so as they have things called 'breasts'. It is the same in real life.

The armour of the Mandolorians is in no way gratuitous or trying to magnify the fact they have tits.

Top Bottom