• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

MagnesD3

Well we all know how good his judgement regarding training emotional kids turned out to be lol
True lol, well to be fair his mistake was entrusting anakins training to obi wan, if qui gon had trained anakin I believe anakin would never had fell because Qui Gon would be way more understanding and father like than poor obi wan.

Weiji

Banned
I really enjoyed the visual design of this episode. The burned out forest, dirty city and the stark color contrast and outline of Asoka on the moon.

Unfortunately Asoka felt... to detached for me. It did not make her interesting as a character.

Also the fight scene at the end could have been much better done. They really got the look right, but once again I felt no stakes, no tension, no emotional investment. The final fight should have been one for the ages and instead I felt it was a bit forgettable.

Shame, with so much beautiful design on display.

royox

Weiji Weiji

The final fight should have been one for the ages and instead I felt it was a bit forgettable.

But how could it be.
It's a duel with one of the best trained "jedi" of the galaxy in battle and dueling that just wants information against a normie woman with a beshkar spear. There was no duel or tension. Ahsoka overpowers her if she wants, she could have used the force and end that "duel" before even starting but she wanted to play fair with honor just to get her respect and answers. Remember the main focus for Ahsoka was to get an answer not to kill. It's not a Maul vs Ahsoka duel ffs.

I'm getting bored. I wanted a badass bounty hunter series, traveling around and doing badass things.

Instead we're getting a live action Filoni cartoon. Not what I signed up for. I'm mostly disappointed with this season so far.
I hope this is just setup, and that we get back to season 1 mando when the cartoon space wizards got their own series to fly around and fight with glow sticks in.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked the episode but the acting was stiff all around. Not sure if it was Filoni's directing, the heavy use of that igloo cgi thing for sets, or just the rushed nature of tv.

Ahsoka looked weird to me. I'm still not sure what those head tentacle things are but it looked really uncomfortable. Are those white marks paint, tattoos, or skin pigment? I don't think many of the CGI cartoon character will look good with such a direct live action translation. I would like to see Ahsoka sit down with someone and just unpack her feelings about everything. I don't think most folks know that she trained under Anikan so it would be a powerful scene to bring it up.

I will bet a 1 month ban that there is a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT chance that Moff Gideon fights someone welding that beskar spear, they hold it up to block an overhand strike, and his Dark Saber cuts right through it :p

Also, in ep4, did they imply that the experimentation on Grogu was to create a force sensitive clone for the emperor? I couldn't hear it well, need to rewatch.

Weiji

Banned
Weiji Weiji

But how could it be.
It's a duel with one of the best trained "jedi" of the galaxy in battle and dueling that just wants information against a normie woman with a beshkar spear. There was no duel or tension. Ahsoka overpowers her if she wants, she could have used the force and end that "duel" before even starting but she wanted to play fair with honor just to get her respect and answers. Remember the main focus for Ahsoka was to get an answer not to kill. It's not a Maul vs Ahsoka duel ffs.

I had not considered that she wasn’t trying... but I mean she loses a light saber during the duel. She also shows the only emotion we’ve seen from her. If she wasn’t trying that hard it’s not well expressed visually.

Feels more like they nerfed her to make the fight interesting.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I haven't watched the CW or Netflix model so not sure how connected they are but I imagine each season will be stand alone in the same way that you don't have to have seen Iron Man to enjoy Captain America or Thor but I imagine that each show will have some links to the others.

Sounds like Disney+ will be running:

The Mandalorian
Obi-Wan
Boba Fett
Ashoka

All at the same time. Maybe Grogu will be the common link between them all?
How will Boba Fett differentiate itself between the Mandalorian?

If Disney was smart they would announce Dark Forces Season 1. Kyle Katarn is back mother fuckers (too bad Timothy Olyphant has already been used up :( ). With that they get a swashbuckling smuggler show and a new Han Solo who just happens to have force sensitivity and a hot sidekick. Hell they could use that show to introduce Mara Jade and defuck this whole mess by readopting the Legacy EU (Which kicked ass). Explain that part of the reason Luke turned into a fuck head was that he lost the love of his life ALONG with Ben killing peeps. Much more understandable.

What drives me absolutely insane about the ST is that Timothy Zahn gave everyone the perfect Sequal Trilogy and they fucking ignored it. Like, how fucking dumb are these people? (or how arrogant)

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Watched "The Gunslinger" (Season 1 Episode 5) last night.

There is absolutely nothing even remotely interesting or good about this show except for the costumes and set design. The stories feel like they're written by unambitious high school kids guided by an AI overlord who commands them to play it safe in every conceivable manner.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Watched "The Gunslinger" (Season 1 Episode 5) last night.

There is absolutely nothing even remotely interesting or good about this show except for the costumes and set design. The stories feel like they're written by unambitious high school kids guided by an AI overlord who commands them to play it safe in every conceivable manner.
Then don't watch it? I think its great, but I am not edgy or cool so TTFWIW.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Then don't watch it? I think its great, but I am not edgy or cool so TTFWIW.

What do you like about it?

If I was on Family Feud and Steve Harvey said "We asked 100 people what they like about The Mandolorian. Their top 6 answer on the board..." I'd literally say 1. Set and costume. And 2. It's Star Wars?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What do you like about it?

If I was on Family Feud and Steve Harvey said "We asked 100 people what they like about The Mandalorian. Their top 6 answer on the board..." I'd literally say 1. Set and costume. And 2. It's Star Wars?
Top 6?

1. Its old school star wars (reminds me of legacy EU mixed with clone wars/Rebels)
2. Mandalorians
3. its entertaining
4. Its pretty
5. Furthers the lore
6. Baby Yoda

I am someone who read just about all of the legacy EU and loved it but was not enthused with the ST that much. The Mandalorian reminds me of the old EU and that is awesome to me.

edit: There is a spell check for Mandalorian but not Yoda...lol.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Top 6?

1. Its old school star wars (reminds me of legacy EU mixed with clone wars/Rebels)
2. Mandalorians
3. its entertaining
4. Its pretty
5. Furthers the lore
6. Baby Yoda

I am someone who read just about all of the legacy EU and loved it but was not enthused with the ST that much. The Mandalorian reminds me of the old EU and that is awesome to me.

edit: There is a spell check for Mandalorian but not Yoda...lol.

I just watched Episode 6 Season 1.

It was definitely better than the last couple of episodes.

ManaByte

Gold Member
EoHpDvoXIAIGbQn

MrMephistoX

How will Boba Fett differentiate itself between the Mandalorian?

If Disney was smart they would announce Dark Forces Season 1. Kyle Katarn is back mother fuckers (too bad Timothy Olyphant has already been used up :( ). With that they get a swashbuckling smuggler show and a new Han Solo who just happens to have force sensitivity and a hot sidekick. Hell they could use that show to introduce Mara Jade and defuck this whole mess by readopting the Legacy EU (Which kicked ass). Explain that part of the reason Luke turned into a fuck head was that he lost the love of his life ALONG with Ben killing peeps. Much more understandable.

What drives me absolutely insane about the ST is that Timothy Zahn gave everyone the perfect Sequal Trilogy and they fucking ignored it. Like, how fucking dumb are these people? (or how arrogant)

The one good thing about it is that the ST is set about 25 years later than Mando and JJ either by design or by accident didn’t fill in many blanks: The Thrawn Trilogy could still happen. It took place over like what a year? It would have to be recast or animated though since the OT cast was way too fucking old by the time TFA premiered...and now Carie is dead.

George should have have done the ST back in the early 90s when they were young enough to be believable.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
I like that the Mandalorian is going back to the roots of Star Wars. Samurai movies and Spaghetti western.

It feels like a fantastic mixture of Kozure Ōkami, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, a Fistful of Dollars and once upon a Time in the West.

It is so good, it makes you angry. Imagine how fantastic the new movies could have been, when not some giant dumbasses would have been in charge.

MagnesD3

What if Mace Windu survived the Fall in Ep. 3 and comes back in Mandalorian revealing that he saved Baby Yoda during the Coruscant jedi killings
I personally think it would be a mistake to bring back windu like it was a mistake for the ST to touch palps, there needs to be stakes and certain events that matter, we don’t want a DBZ on our hands. Mauls return was only permissible since his character honestly deserved more development and his resurrection doesn’t really take anything away from the universe, if anything it elevates it since he was kind of a nothing character before.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The one good thing about it is that the ST is set about 25 years later than Mando and JJ either by design or by accident didn’t fill in many blanks: The Thrawn Trilogy could still happen. It took place over like what a year? It would have to be recast or animated though since the OT cast was way too fucking old by the time TFA premiered...and now Carie is dead.

George should have have done the ST back in the early 90s when they were young enough to be believable.
They already have plans for thrawn it seems. I would love to hear they have plans for Kyle, and Jan. They can't really rehash Dark Forces though since Rogue One sorta stole Katarn's thunder (Death star plans). I could see an amalgamation of Dark Forces 1 and 2 where Kyle and Jan team up with a few special forces peeps and get into it with Dark Troopers and other Imperial experimental projects/weapons. At the end you could have it hinted that Kyle has force sensitivity, and he could find a lightsaber and then go into "Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast" with season 2.

OR. Delay Jedi Outcast season and instead bring in Mara Jade in Season 2 and have Kyle flirt with the dark side (like the expansion for Dark Forces 2). Honestly, I'd be cool if they never coupled Jade and Skywalker together but had her in the lore. She was a pretty cool character (Emperors Hand aka dark side assassin, WAY more badass than Rey, really wants to kill luke skywalker).

For those of you confused... Kyle Katarn is the biggest Star Wars video game character of all time that isn't named "Revan" (Much bigger than Dash Rendar). He is basically Luke Skywalker mixed with Han Solo. He eventually showed up in the books and was a badass there as well. A lot of people loved Kyle.

Last edited:
If we are lookig for jedi who were in the right time and place, and known to survive order 66, Jocasta Nu has to be one of the obvious ones.

However pretty sure she is dead at this point in the timelime so a return is out of the cards

Wvrs

If we are lookig for jedi who were in the right time and place, and known to survive order 66, Jocasta Nu has to be one of the obvious ones.

However pretty sure she is dead at this point in the timelime so a return is out of the cards

Vader kills her not long after Order 66 in the Jedi Temple. But it's definitely possible she saved Grogu. She went back to the Jedi Temple to recover a list of Force Sensitive children so she could restart the Jedi Order, perhaps she rescued Grogu as part of that plan.

I think she's kind of a minor character though so narratively I don't see them picking such a boring answer to the mystery.

I think it's Bad Batch or a wild card choice like Windu.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Getting tired of the baby Yoda thing. I want to ser a bad ass bounty hunter who wrecks people and might do something good once in a while.
Enough of this glorified baby sitter bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMauls return was only permissible since his character honestly deserved more development and his resurrection doesn’t really take anything away from the universe, if anything it elevates it since he was kind of a nothing character before.
It was a mistake to cut him in half to begin with. He should have been the antagonist over the prequels trilogy.
Was the start of SW's mistake to bring back dead people as if nothing happened.

Seeing that Filoni also did Gunslinger, he seems to be a shit director. Both episodes he directed were super stiff and life less.

MagnesD3

It was a mistake to cut him in half to begin with. He should have been the antagonist over the prequels trilogy.
Was the start of SW's mistake to bring back dead people as if nothing happened.

Seeing that Filoni also did Gunslinger, he seems to be a shit director. Both episodes he directed were super stiff and life less.
Maybe on gunslinger (don’t remember like most of mando episodes lol) but this last episode was easily the best one so far, I loved almost every second of it.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

The action, the awesome portrayal of ahsoka, finding out more about the main plot with grogu and where he is from, grand admiral thrawn name drop and the implications from that, the implication of taking grogu to the stone to find maybe Luke (actually movement of the story!!). Also there were some really beautiful shots too.

The only thing I found meh was how micheal beans character was used and how the fight with the magistrate made ahsoka look weaker/dumber than she is for first time viewers when honestly there really was no chance she would lose, it was almost a arrogance/(or weirdly honor? But why to someone awful like her?..) thing it looked like, I honestly think more words should have been exchanged here instead of over trying to be all “samurai” or w/e, as it would have helped viewers understand ahsokas mindset going into the fight. So yeah that fight could have been done a bit better, although I do love when Ashoka gets serious she switches to her actual stance.

Last edited:
The action, the awesome portrayal of ahsoka, finding out more about the main plot with grogu and where he is from, grand admiral thrawn name drop and the implications from that, the implication of taking grogu to the stone to find maybe Luke (actually movement of the story!!). Also there were some really beautiful shots too.

The only thing I found meh was how micheal beans character was used and how the fight with the magistrate made ahsoka look weaker/dumber than she is for first time viewers when honestly there really was no chance she would lose, it was almost a arrogance/(or weirdly honor? But why to someone awful like her?..) thing it looked like, I honestly think more words should have been exchanged here instead of over trying to be all “samurai” or w/e, as it would have helped viewers understand ahsokas mindset going into the fight. So yeah that fight could have been done a bit better, although I do love when Ashoka gets serious she switches to her actual stance.

Bc it's anime as fuck and anime as fuck = dope in my eyes (I.E. Revenge Of The Sith & Last Jedi).
Okay, what I expected.

Stuff like that is exactly what I don't want Mando to be and what I found refreshing about it.

I sincerely hope they don't make the mistake to kill off another SW thing with this weeb direction.

420bits

First up, the series is amazing in terms of settings, costumes and all that. It's the right amount of cheese with some nice backgroundstory thats interesting enough.
I'd go as far as saying this is the best SW-related since the "first and only" triology. Ok, i kinda enjoyed Rogue one but apart from that, the 2 "new triologies" and whatever standalone movie outside "rogue one" are imo, pure shit with a star wars label slapped on to it.
Haven't seen the cartoon so can't speak about that.

But Grugu needs to go, that babysitting shit and "tihi, im so cute when I devour some poor frogs last eggs and smile about it, better do it 3 more times so I can get internetpoints *giggle*" is getting rather annoying.
S1 was fine because it was toned down, s2 has become increasingly worse in terms of Grugu being a retarded little shitbag and its obvious that he is there for 2 things, merch and internet points.

Removing 90% of the screentime that green ballsack gets would be a great addition to the series!

GreyHorace

CHAPTER 14 THE TRAGEDY

HOLY SHIT. An amazing half hour of nonstop Star Wars action directed by Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Desperado, Alita Battle Angel). Featuring the full fledged return of a fan favorite character and the surprise reappearance of another. Plus it ends on a great cliffhanger.

This episode is a Star Wars fan's wet dream. Fantastic stuff.

Boba Fett - The true highlight of the episode. Temuera Morrison is amazingly badass as Boba, moreso than he was as Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones way back in 2002. Even without his iconic armor Boba has no problem wrecking mook stormtroopers with his trusty Tusken club. But once he puts on his armor we get to see the true bounty hunting badass that was only hinted at in Return of the Jedi.

Jon Favreau has said he was hoping to redeem Boba Fett as a character in this season. I'd say mission accomplished.

Ming-Na Wen - I was honestly surprised to see Fennec Shand again, but thank God they did bring her back. Ming-Na Wen is always great at kicking ass and she does a great job here. Hope she becomes a regular in that proposed Boba Fett series they've been planning yet not greenlighted.

Cliffhanger - The Razor Crest is destroyed, Grogu is captured by Moff Gideon and Mando mounts a desperate rescue plan alongside surprise allies Boba and Fennec plus the ever reliable Cara Dune. And they also plan to recruit Migs Mayfield, the former Imperial sniper played by Bill Burr from episode 6. And we have yet to know which Jedi Grogu contacted on Tyhton. All of this is building up to an epic season finale.

Like I said. A Star Wars fan's wet dream and far from a tragedy like the episode title implies. Let's hope it delivers.

Last edited:

Ionian

Brilliant episode, nearly better than the last.

Also why all the hidden spoilers links? Episode is out.

Anyone who cares should know by now not to enter the thread before watching on the day it airs?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just finished watching the first season.

There are 3 or 4 truly terrible episodes but the rest are watchable enough. The last two episodes were borderline good even.

On to season 2!!

Calcium

Banned
That was amazing. Nice to see...

Boba Fett and the return of the Slave l. When I was a kid I primarily played with the Bounty Hunters, primarily Boba and Bossk teaming up and to see my imagination back then coming back was nostalgic as hell for me.

Shame we won't know who is going to answer the Jedi phone. I'm really hoping they get Sam Jackson back to play a pissed off Mace Windu.

Atrus

Gold Member
Today's episode has portions that really reminds me of Battlefront II. Writing could have been better since I was not a fan of Marathon Mando but it was an enjoyable setup episode for what looks to be a big finale just like the first season.

I hope we get to see who Grogu long-distanced called this season and learn why Gideon wants the child.

nyr88nyg

Banned
The last two episodes were fucking amazing! The returning character is a total badass!

Last edited:
Top Bottom