• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maneater announcement trailer

Hydroxy

Reviews ain't looking too good. Kind of expected to be shallow, but a few hours of fun still sounds good enough for the price after applying the epic coupon.

Shai-Tan

Banned

what I expected. Downloading now

Hydroxy

RPS review. Author didn't like the game.

Karak

The game is enjoyable and really is going to be a bit divisive. One of the things I loved was exploring, later on, ignoring some battles for awhile and finding the collectables and locations and stealing around stronger enemies.
I feel like it just needed either deeper combat and situations/upgrades OR a larger location. Its right in the middle. Then again so its its price

The game is enjoyable and really is going to be a bit divisive. One of the things I loved was exploring, later on, ignoring some battles for awhile and finding the collectables and locations and stealing around stronger enemies.
I feel like it just needed either deeper combat and situations/upgrades OR a larger location. Its right in the middle. Then again so its its price

Yeah that's what it feels like. Kind of like a Crackdown 1 or Saints Row 2 level, but there's potential. A sequel could really expand on it. Especially if it had wide open/deep ocean beyond the gulf area. Like the WHOLE Gulf of Mexico, that'd be cool. Even if scaled down for an open world game.

obin_gam

Hm... the price is really the bad thing about it, and it will be hurt because of it imo.
At $20 sure, it would seem perfectly fare, but double that for a game which sounds like a quick niche curbstomp rump, no, for $40 I would need deeper gameplay and like twice the game length., not to say the least I would need an ocean to play around in as well, not, which is in it apperantly -> invisible walls.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hm... the price is really the bad thing about it, and it will be hurt because of it imo.
At $20 sure, it would seem perfectly fare, but double that for a game which sounds like a quick niche curbstomp rump, no, for $40 I would need deeper gameplay and like twice the game length., not to say the least I would need an ocean to play around in as well, not, which is in it apperantly -> invisible walls.
on pc is 27 euros (so around 25 dollars?) with the coupon from epic store.
even lower if you buy a key from external sistes, 22 euros was the lowest price.

Kacho

Gold Member
Sounds good enough to check out down the road. Kinda glad I'm not tempted to pick this up day one. Too many games to play already.

GymWolf

This game is simple but still a lot of fun.

I'm really enjoying my time with it.

The only 2 flaws are the shitty lock on and the lack of ragdoll for human npc.

This game is simple but still a lot of fun.

I'm really enjoying my time with it.

The only 2 flaws are the shitty lock on and the lack of ragdoll for human npc.

Yup, it's a solid little game actually. Potential in a sequel.

And yeah the lock on is definitely meh. I've gotten "around it" or used to it I guess, but it's a bit annoying.

I like the fish vs. fish/animal combat.

GymWolf

Yup, it's a solid little game actually. Potential in a sequel.

And yeah the lock on is definitely meh. I've gotten "around it" or used to it I guess, but it's a bit annoying.

I like the fish vs. fish/animal combat.
I prefer the fights against humans, really the only times when you risk to die (when you have 4 boats shooting atyou).
Also biting someone just to shoot him against other boats with you tail is a lot of fun :ROFLMAO:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
tenor.gif

I prefer the fights against humans, really the only times when you risk to die (when you have 4 boats shooting atyou).
Also biting someone just to shoot him against other boats with you tail is a lot of fun :ROFLMAO:

Definitely. My mind just wanders to a similar game but perhaps animal/fish centric and evolving/fighting against others. Would be a different game obviously, but this game makes me want something like that.
Like Maneater X Ancestors. That'd be cool. Like a prehistoric megalodon game, with evolving and some liberties taken for fun/game reasons.

I caved and bought this, damn you quarantine. It is fun, definitely a throw back to a style of game from the ps2 era.
$40 is a bit steep for what's on offer here, but leaping on the beach and eating people is pretty entertaining.
ProTip for early on: If you can get the gators to follow you into one of the "safe" grotto zones, you can tear them to pieces and they won't attack back in there.

GymWolf

Definitely. My mind just wanders to a similar game but perhaps animal/fish centric and evolving/fighting against others. Would be a different game obviously, but this game makes me want something like that.
Like Maneater X Ancestors. That'd be cool. Like a prehistoric megalodon game, with evolving and some liberties taken for fun/game reasons.
maybe you understood my post wrong, i was talking about the humans inside maneater.
and i love fighting animals too, they are just too easy and the lock on show all his limits when you fight them.

yeah the megalodon game it's a great idea.

maybe you understood my post wrong, i was talking about the humans inside maneater.

No, I know what you meant. Actually yeah fighting the human hunters is cool, eating people is a bit whatever since they're just basically big seals. It'd be cool if the regular humans would randomly do other things as well, or just pull out a gun. Like GTA or Saints Row. Would make it even more whacky and unpredictable.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
12 hours, 100%, 0 deaths(game is easy).

I really liked it but think it should probably be $30 instead of $40. With zero replayability and no multiplayer this is a one and done experience. Most of that experience is doing the same handful of activities over and over again, some of which are interesting and some of which are not.

Environments are great, sound is good, love Chris Parnell doing the narration.

Gameplay isn't very deep. I mean it's a shark, there's not a lot to work with there. 3 gear sets, multiple organ choices, enough to feel like you've customized your shark to your playstyle but not enough to warrant playing through it again with different choices.

tldr; I really liked it because I like exploration games but I wouldn't recommend it to other people at the current price.

Last edited:

GymWolf

yeah the game is a lot of fun, and it's not even that easy like someone said, the boats can fuck you up pretty fast if you don't evade all the time.

i mean, it is easy, just not completely brainless.

Man, I really wanna play this. Everything about it looks hella fun! I'm probably gonna grab a PS4 copy, because Tim's Tencent store gives me the creeps.

GreenAlien

I'm gonna wait a bit before I give this a go.. Apparently, the developer is pretty passionate about this and wants to improve it quite a bit.. Might just be bug fixes, might be new free features or DLC... anyway, it's not running away..

Last edited:
Top Bottom