• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

I read through a few chapters of some of the "top rated" shoujo on a few sites over the weekend and it was almost all awful. Pretty much confirms I do not have the same taste as the 15 year old girls out there.
Are you trying to insinuate something here?

Huh?
I always like suggesting Gokusen as a comedy as well. It's a bit like a Female GTO + Yakuza + delinquents.
Fuck, I still have to read this.

Hunter X Hunter

this is awesome. this is the type of expansion I've always expected from these manga. in fact, earlier today I was thinking about how in Naruto all we've seen is the world of ninja villages. It's easy to assume the strongest characters would be in those ninja villages, or the strongest characters would be hunters, or what have you. But why? at most these worlds are really only continents, or a fraction of the world as a whole.

Hunter X Hunter exploiting that idea is awesome. And while it's a tad kitsch, who knows if other continents around the world don't have their own 'Hunter' systems, concepts for nen, etc. It's like different nations forming their own fighting styles and technologies independently. If the next arc is Gon exploring the world, there's a lot of room to grow stronger.

I just don't want wars or anything. Keep to exploring, politics, rules, RULES, MORE RULES AAHHH

And a time jump could be cool. If people are put off by Gon and Killua separating, maybe pick up when they meet up again after a couple of years. Gon went off exploring in the greater world, maybe Killua went off in another direction with Alluka. There's a lot of material to work with.

I dont mean to be a Bleach apologist, but you make it sound like its bad (people change socks that often?). Last time I checked whenever Ichigo goes bankai its like drool worthy moment of Number One. Just look at last arc, or for that matter last year, only once did he Bankai. Its been greatly missed. Bankai had just as much effect as it had when he used it in the fight against Byakuya as it does now, meaning it never once went to the realm of boredom.

Kubo has given an excellent antagonist, who else goes through such emotional turmoil in one arc and is now litrally at the top of his game in the subsequent arc? I can only think of one, and that is Ichigo Kurosaki, and not to mention utilizing his top tier skills right off at the start of an arc? Epic incarnate.

Now this is a good example of why the ignore function is just not worth it

Are you trying to insinuate something here?

Fuck, I still have to read this.

son i am disappoint :(

survivor

Banned

I've read, am reading, or read and dropped everything on this list.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Are you a 15 years old girl? If not then have some shame

Pajama na Kanojo 1

WTF did I read? What's going on? Guys help me

Kusagari

Money on which Kages die? My money is on short man(who by mangatropes should have died like 50 chapters ago) and Tsunade.

I think everyone has bet on one of those two. The only other possible candidate is A.

Gaara obviously isn't dying, and Mei has absolutely zero development so her death would be pointless.

ampere

Maybe it's because I'm drunk but reading today's Hunter X Hunter has made me lose interest in the series, not sure what to even say about it other than it was boring.

gunbo13

I've read, am reading, or read and dropped everything on this list.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
Depends if you care what society thinks.
Now this is a good example of why the ignore function is just not worth it

son i am disappoint :(
Who uses the ignore function?

Yea well, I have to catch up on my current stuff first. I read alphabetically so TWGOK for example is like 6 ch's back. :(
Are you a 15 years old girl? If not then have some shame
Such a hater, this one is.

vareon

I don't mind world expansion...just not on Hunter X Hunter. I don't think Togashi can deliver the huge expectations readers were expecting on the new world. Maybe this is just something that shows "Ging's adventure never ends".

Very surprised about Gon parting with Killua though.

Shouta

HxH

Loved the chapter, it's great to see Togashi set the direction for the series from this point on. This was such a good chapter, I can actually see the scene being animated like the old anime with an instrumental version of ohayou running in the background while he talks.

Also, yesss! People are getting into Kongou Bancho. Great manga. I kinda wished it actually went on a little longer but that last volume was epic.

HxH

Loved the chapter, it's great to see Togashi set the direction for the series from this point on. This was such a good chapter, I can actually see the scene being animated like the old anime with an instrumental version of ohayou running in the background while he talks.

I dunno...maybe if this were years ago but I see this being a huge setup for disappointment. I don't see him being able to do this for the years needed to really make such a huge development work

Kusagari

I actually saw this pointed out on another forum, and was kind of amazed. Togashi basically hinted at this in the very first chapter of HxH in the first 2 pages.

I do agree, though, that I have no idea how he's going to handle this. There's already tons of plot lines with the Ryodan, Kurapica, Jairo, Pariston and his million ants, Killua and Illumi, etc and now we have a whole new world.

gunbo13

Thank god for Amazon is all I can say. Granted my purchases are nowhere near as bad as people who buy the volumes with the creepy loli stuff plastered on the covers.
dzC4J.png

Ferga

I'm liking this new set of baddies in bleach, hope they start killing people.

And One Piece is awesome again, this arc seems very good already.

I would really like yamamoto is die. Not that I don't like him but i think it would add alot to the story instead of all the good guys living through every fight. Could add some chaos in SS if yamamoto dies

Let's see.

SS Bankai - Built up for most of the best arc in Bleach. Uses a technique passed down from the best character in Bleach (Urahara) that involved some crazy ass non-stop training. Was released in one of the best fights in Bleach and went against every known Bankai in existence. It was labeled weak at first and then turned into something special. This is especially true to the appearance of Hichigo.

Ch483 Bankai - Ichigo did it cause somebody asked him to.

Same appeal? Sure, why not.

So you did not notice how Ichigo was analyzing the situation and he only released bankai so he can find out more about Ivan? Ok then.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Mx0 vol 1

This is pretty fun. Kuzumi is a great protagonist for this kind of setting.

Gonna be so painful when I get to the non-ending.
Yes it will. Whats to stop manga artists from coming back to unfinished series? Is there a mandate or is it just frowned upon?

Yes it will. Whats to stop manga artists from coming back to unfinished series? Is there a mandate or is it just frowned upon?

Well it's not like it never happens. Shaman King, To-love Ru, Alita, probably some other things. I just think it's unlikely when it got cancelled because of ratings in the first place and the guy is 3 for 3 with Jump series that got the axe.

Anything could happen of course and since he's done with Kagami no Kuni, maybe there's hope. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Wow we're STILL talking about Fairy Tail?
Big One, I don't know why you decided to re-read Fairy Tail. Either you're trolling DTL or you're damn bored (if you're bored why not read random manga X thats brought up daily.) 7
Honestly Lucy's not bad. Gratuitous fanservice can be annoying sometimes, but its Fairy Tail so really why are you guys being bent out of shape. Lucy's one of the rare few manga characters thats outrageously hot (like seriously, Mashima doesn't hold back with her) but also happens to be a comic relief character. Plus her summons pretty cool (at least the new ones; the original ones are terrible).
She can be amusing as comic relief, yeah, but Lucy is also a competent fighter (though those summons can be sketchy for sure... :p), too, and actually does fight regularly and wins most of the time. That is NOT normal for shonen manga female characters, it really isn't, not on either count...

She still can't compare to Erza though. Erza is the single best thing thats happened to Fairy Tail.
Erza's mostly a good character, but her attitude in the Tower of Heaven arc is pretty bad... sure it's explained, but I do not like that degree of hopelessness/surrender. The rest of the time though Erza's a good character. It is pretty lame how some convenient excuse always keeps her away from fighitng final bosses even though she's supposedly somewhere around Natsu's power level (powered up Natsu), though, but oh well.

Keep in mind Natsu still has that "not an S-class mage"-thing going on.

Eventhough he's always been "strong" he's kept artificially weak in the story by never
quite getting that promotion.
Yeah, that is pretty stupid. He's one of their guild's strongest members, but because all of his powerups are temporary, he never gets the status he should have, because, well, the MC in a shonen has to be an underdog of some kind, right?

Kreed

Mx0:

The series was given the axe by Jump. So in order for it to come back, Jump would have to agree to bring the manga back since they have rights to the series, which is very unlikely if it was canceled due to ratings.

Sket Dance 179-181:

It took almost a year, but we finally got past chapter 180 in Sket Dance! Maybe in two years we'll finally catch up to the Japanese releases?

All three chapters were good in their own way. 179 for wrapping up the kidnapping story from the previous chapter, 180 was fun to read again and easily the best because of the Gintama cross over, and 181 was great for Switch and Roman's guest appearance.

upandaway

Mx0 vol 1

This is pretty fun. Kuzumi is a great protagonist for this kind of setting.

Gonna be so painful when I get to the non-ending.
Surprisingly bearable once you know it's coming.

Darkness 5

Oh, what's the point. Look, man. I get that you have your needs as an author. I accept that. I can compromise. I can give you a couple of pages here and there.

But this much
plot
? That's just wrong. I feel.. violated.

neoanarch

Mx0:

The series was given the axe by Jump. So in order for it to come back, Jump would have to agree to bring the manga back since they have rights to the series, which is very unlikely if it was canceled due to ratings.

They hold the rights to whats been published. Battle Angel and Trigun both started in Jump magazines and made the jump (no pun intended) to other publishers. The original Trigun rights were later bought out and republished by his new publisher. Just deducing from that but I assume its the same across the board for Shueisha.

Solune

Surprisingly bearable once you know it's coming.
It still hurts now =/. I imagine it could've gotten really good , or flopped poorly but it never got to reach that stage of development.
Darkness 5

Oh, what's the point. Look, man. I get that you have your needs as an author. I accept that. I can compromise. I can give you a couple of pages here and there.

But this much
plot
? That's just wrong. I feel.. violated.

So do you need buckets or a shower?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gunbo's Embarrassing List of Shoujo with Cute Shit and Bubbles
Aishiteruze Baby (3)
Beyond the Blindfold (2)
Dengeki Daisy (2)
Do xx to Me! (2)
For You in Full Blossom (3)
His and Her Circumstances (2)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! (3)
Kimi ni Todoke (3)
Koi dano Ai dano (3)
Lovely Complex (3)
Monkey High (3)
Oresama Teacher (2)
Ouran Host Club (3)
Red-haired Snow White (1)
Reimei no Arcana (1)
Say I Love You (2)
Special A (3)

I removed the more action ones. Scale from 1-3. 3 being all fluffy and 1 being more shounen. Maybe you haven't read one of the threes. But from your past posts, I know you have read a good amount of the above. Best I can do though, sorry.

I think I've only read (or watched) about a fourth of those. I should check out more of these, since I've liked the ones I did read.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To Love Ru is now the School Days of Mangagaf.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're both things you recommend to other people just to see their reactions/suffering!

Steroyd

It only took some 10 - 11 months to reach the Gintama crossover chapter.

Sket Dance 179 - 181

Lol at Kiri living up to his ninja status.

lawl at Switch, no-one can match him when he's passionate about something.

HxH
Good chapter would have been so much better if the art was good.
I was always wondering when going to see more of the HxH world but it took so long .
Still if Togashi did not have so many breaks we would have gotten to this over 6 years ago and knowing he going to take more has my hype down .

Guesong

Reborn!

Well, that was stupid. I guess it probably means Hibari and Byakuran will be the 2 last joining members for Tsuna's team, since I don't recall the rules prohibiting that.

Excited at seeing Vindice comes in, ever since we saw they had an Arcobelano in the last arc, I've been wondering why exactly they were not invited to partake in this contest. Looks like that'll change.

gunbo13

So you did not notice how Ichigo was analyzing the situation and he only released bankai so he can find out more about Ivan? Ok then.
Sure, its being used as an investigative device. That's much better? How about the last 50 times he used it 5-10 seconds into a fight? It's just routine at this point. I'm still waiting for when Ichigo uses bankai when he is late for school.

Hajimete no Aku (ch137)

-Punch in the face tag.

HnA going in there with some crazy game of tag shit. School festival is over so they have a 12hr tag session orchestrated by the president to goose the 100k yen prize from everyone for himself. Perverted/shady president is best. The justice fighters step in and need to capture everyone. I don't know why I enjoy reading this manga so much. Probably cause it doesn't play up a particular audience and feed to them.

ch in 3 (tag, festival, rigged)

Cwarrior

Sure, its being used as an investigative device. That's much better? How about the last 50 times he used it 5-10 seconds into a fight? It's just routine at this point. I'm still waiting for when Ichigo uses bankai when he is late for school.

..well he should woudn't want be later for school now, but doesn't he leave his body behind to go soul reaper mode ..hmm am not even sure about that anymore.

I don't see much wrong with going bankai like changing your socks except for it makes it less cool cause he doesn't save it for later to turn the fight around "now time to show you my true power", but if your going to fight an enemy might aswell go overkill to get those extra overkill points.

to be fair the enemy did spam attacks on him, so he needed to go super for the speed.

One Piece
Just a random question but do people still hate Franky's new design in One Piece? I hated it at first but...he's just too awesome to hate!
And Brook's been growing on me too. I mean, just watching him step over the decimated bodies while sipping tea...

GDXoo.png

Hunter x Hunter
I hope that world map wasn't to scale and was more of an exaggeration because it's a bit ridiculous/dumb. Creatures larger than the current continents, giant trees, and no one can see them?!

I never hated it to begin with.

Man I can't wait to see where HxH goes from here, shit is gonna be awesome.

gunbo13

..well he should woudn't want be later for school now, but doesn't he leave his body behind to go soul reaper mode ..hmm am not even sure about that anymore.
Can't they still carry around their physical body in soul form? He could also get Urahara to make him a gigai he can dump in his locker. But if it was ever discovered...
I don't see much wrong with going bankai like changing your changing socks except for it makes it less cool cause he doesn't save it for later to turn the fight around "now time to show you my true power", but if your going to fight an enemy might aswell go overkill to get those extra overkill points.

to be fair the enemy did spam attacks on him, so he needed to go super for the speed.
It's not necessarily not cool but just routine. Some power-ups in manga have conditions that make it difficult to trigger. Others just keep them rare for numerous reasons. Bankai is one where you just have to flip the switch. So you start to wonder why not just dump into it right away. Is it less tiring in shikai? Does Ichigo have fun dispatching low-level hollow longer? Sadistic fuck...

Hollow form was controlled, bankai was not. So yea, changing socks and it gets routine e.g. not as exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom