• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. Please read the rules regarding spoilers.

T0wFDWI.jpg

Who's the victim?
A. G--'s B---d
B. P-----pC------n

10 Manga Of Perpetually Trying to Figure Out the Popular Non-Smut Reads Here OT13 Banner (Gen 1)
XKV.png

10 Most Regularly Read Sort-Of Smut Manga OT13 SmutBanner (Gen 1)
2XY.png

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

If you want fluffy romance manga, NeoSoma has a chart of sweet and/or fluffy romance manga from /a/.

Other possibilities collected from this thread and link to a list of recommendations/impressions will be found in the second post below.​

5. About reading manga on tablets.
If you are looking for manga-reading tech on tablets, Jintor suggests Mango and suko_32 has more details on his tablet setup.​

The Nicknames List
Sometimes people talk about series with a pet nickname and thereby render themselves completely incomprehensible. Therefore, we have a handy list here that might help with 1) translating the banners above and 2) translating our local maniacs' jargon.
  1. A Town Where You _____ = Kimi no Iru Machi
  2. Aunt Tits = Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  3. Dogsuit Smut = Kanojo wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
  4. Food Smut = Shokugeki no Soma
  5. Kingdom Hearts = Nisekoi
  6. KNIM = Kimi no Iru Machi
  7. Not Popular = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!
  8. Rage Town = Kimi no Iru Machi
  9. Smutterfly Effect = Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite (yep)
  10. Super Interesting Darkness = To Love RU Darkness
  11. Swagamoto (or Swagmoto) = Sakamoto desu ga
  12. Wahjah Moe = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!

Other cool and relevant material
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers
bigkrev commentary and criticism of digital manga in the west.
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Sunday covers
Mockingbird and Fancy Poster GAF fancy poster if you want it.
upandaway suggests a method for picking up new manga.
NeoSoma's One Page to Hook You In thread

The Strange Pile
duckroll wildly guesses Magi will end by Chapter 230 which he got wrong
Meet our resident coward Wiseblade
I didn't know Obama's email so I sent it to amazon instead. upandaway's brain fart.
Twitter party
echothreealpha making 20 dollar bet on Naruto. still pending
~ Manga Thread IRC ~ wonzo: Welp, went ahead and made a manga irc channel at #MangaGAF @ irc.rizon.net More info here.
BassForever collects your Friend Codes in one place; invade his house in Animal Crossing for revenge.
Crimsonlink organizes more Friend Codes into lists.
Kuritabot courtesy of AlabastreAizo
Hunter x Hunter Betting Pool (6 chapters as of the birth of this thread)
Complete your manga look with Loreal

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut!
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.
OTL Not a lick of constructive conversation here
OTZ Reading Shounen Garbage > Watching Moe Garbage
OTX Attack on Titles
OTE Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell
OTP The Salt Smut Only Knows

WALL OF SHAME FOR OTP
Did you really think it wouldn't be this, Charade?
ZbroSX0.jpg

Title courtesy of our 4-koma Overlord upandaway, as seen here and courtesy of the fellow who mistakenly got it backwards.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. ...what I ended up with was an incredibly engrossing (if a lil bit hamfisted about the environemnt) experience from beggining to end. For Parasyte. From wonzo. (legit)
  2. It takes the original series and polishes it up to the point where the good aspects can really shine to their fullest capability while at the same time, building out the UC world in a way that hasn't been done. For Gundam the Origin. From yami4ct. (rev)
  3. It's nothing really sexual at all but it's one of the shit-happens-slice-of-life manga. For Kodomo no Kodomo. From Usobuko. (imp)
  4. It's definitely something I can't wait to read the next volume of but I need to read something trashy now to keep this light novel equilibrium in set. For Vamp Vol 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  5. Futuristic fantasy sci-fi society participates in a massive historical recreation of both the Sengoku Period and the Thirty Years' War. For Horizon on the MIddle of Nowhere 1-A (light novel?). From ThatChairMan. (imp)
  6. If the mystery here manages to keep me interested just like in that manga, then I'm sure I'll be in for the long run. For Boku dake ga Inai Machi. From Save 'N Quit. (imp)
  7. Jesus christ, what a ride. Have you guys checked this out? It's totally bananas. For Qualia the Purple. From PK Gaming. (rec)
  8. A HinaHitomatsuri is great series about the struggles of life and how the world can affect even the brightest of children... For Hinamatsuri. From dani_dc. (rec)
  9. The weird adventures of a weird person working at a convenience store. And it is amazing. Super stoke it is being translated now. The best kind of black comedy I have ever seen yet. For Nietzsche-sensei - Konbini ni, Satori Sedai no Shinjin ga Maiorita 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  10. Ludicrously silly comedy series about the daily lives and battles of anthropomorphised (female) Mazinger robots. For Mazinger Otome / Taisen. From A Huge Battleship. (???)
  11. High school graduate NEET looks for a job, and all the struggles that come with it. For Sora no Shita Yane no Naka. From ThatChairMan. (rev?)
  12. I appreciate the fact that the mangaka put into a lot of research for this manga, sometimes it resemble a documentary with its insightful commentaries and informations about salvage. For Wa ga na wa Umishi. From Usobuko. (rev?)
  13. The best thing I can say about the series is that I got lost reading it for hours... For Glass Mask. From dani_dc. (imp)
  14. sweet jesus the art in this is phenominal For Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. From wonzo. (art rec?)
  15. It's only the first chapter so there wasn't much of a mystery but the dynamic of the two leads work pretty well. It's amusing enough to keep reading. For Boku to Senpai no Tekken Kousai 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  16. Amusing, the dialogue seems pretty fun and it's always fun to see her try to not react to something, like if you laugh you lose. For Takahasi-san ga Kiite 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  17. Definitely more heartwarming than bittersweet. For Azusa. From PhillipCostigan. (trap #3)
  18. Just two people in a strange situation, learning about and falling in love with each other before the (again) bittersweet and heartwrenching ending For Half & Half. From PhillipCostigan. (trap #2)
  19. It's a beautiful, heart wrenching story. Really touching. Sad. Amazing. For Love Letter. From PhillipCostigan. (a trap?)
  20. We have the debate if intelligence is a sin according to the bible, an exploration of the post-apocalypse being caused by the bubris of man, conscience in AI, the battle of man vs nature, whether humanity is truly unique and if sacrificing feelings means sacrificing humanity. For Eden: It's An Endless World Vol 1. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  21. Caught me off guard, looking forward to read more. For Wa Ga Na Wa Umishi. From dani_dc. (imp)
  22. Ultimately, Sumire 17-sai!! is a rather rough prototype of 16-sai!!, but it explores some interesting ideas, a couple of which not featured in the prequel... For Sumire 17-sai!!. From Zweizer. (rev)
  23. Mizu Asato's pervy sensibilities are a great fit for a story about a buncha weirdos working at a bookstore in an unnamed "electric town". For Denkigai no Honya-san. From wonzo. (lol)
  24. Really interesting with the way it interweaves between dream and reality... For Ultra Heaven Vol 1. From Antiwhippy. (acid trip)
  25. This manga is just incredibly enjoyable. The characters are great and diverse, from visual design (holy smokes, these women!) to small details of their personalities. For Is Reiroukan Still Alive?. From Nordicus. (imp)
  26. However, outside of the dull cooking manuals sections, there is a good story here. For What Did You Eat Yesterday?. From survivor. (rev)
  27. It's being told purely from the perspective of the female protagonist, and it deals with subjects like divorce, the ability to love again and the insecurity one feels when they are suddenly left alone. For Shima Shima. From Antiwhippy. (imp)
  28. A pretty interesting one-shot that despite its short length... For The Box of Letters. From Zweizer. (imp)
  29. Second storage post of OT13.
  30. First storage post of OT13.
  31. Recommendations from OTP.
  32. Recommendations from OTE.
  33. Recommendations from OTX.
  34. Recommendations from OTZ.
  35. Recommendations from OTL.

Yuki no Koi

An one shot about a woman who dislikes interacting with people as she see everyone as faceless and monotone. Expect this one guy...

Not a bad one shot. Mostly girl comes out of her shell and starts befriending people and finding love, etc, etc.

kasane

Hey we got a new thread

and on other news i just started reading shin angyo oshi

also mount and blade is an interesting game

upandaway

That dang gosh charizard dude keeps going on hiatus with his 4komas what kind of laziness is that seriously. Keeps playing that stupid Project Diva thing instead of working.

dumbyugi

The last thread seemed to go really fast. I posted even less than usual in it as well. I haven't been reading as much manga as I would like recently, horrible real life has gotten in the way. I have been re-reading Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro though. Makes me wish AssClass had more creepy characters in it because the author does them really well.

kasane

The last thread seemed to go really fast. I posted even less than usual in it as well. I haven't been reading as much manga as I would like recently, horrible real life has gotten in the way. I have been re-reading Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro though. Makes me wish AssClass had more creepy characters in it because the author does them really well.

200 chapters

seems right up my alley, guess i won't be sleeping tonight. Thanks

kasane

New OT already, didn't even think that the last one was almost over.

Pssh, by only 2 posts. I'm right behind you so I can't say much though...

Neuro's awesome, I'm kinda surprised you haven't read it. It's a pretty good read, and the author of ass class.

yeah since i pretty much read anything interesting.

im looking for long completed works these days since following ongoing series are dreadful, more so when updates are irregular so i tend to forget about them

upandaway

Neuro was so good man. My favorite part is when
it cuts to Genuine licking Neuro's feet in front of Sicks.
You made me rewind back to all my memories with the manga, I had an amazing time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom