• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Kurenai No Ansatsusha (One Shot) By Yamaguchi Mikoto & Wataru Rei: This One shot, tells the tale of Virgil, who is accused of murdering King Mars due to looking suspiciously like the feared Assassin Of Crimson.

For the most part it's a pretty standard Action, Adventure One shot, but has some odd moments of Gender bending about half way through the manga.
It's explained away by it being a tool to aid in assassination. Designed by Virgil's younger brother.
The art style has a certain appeal to it despite it being quite standard compared to some of the more recent manga I've read. With all the main (& side) characters seeming to pop out from the rest of the background.

The plot can't really be explained too well without spoilers so:
From the start we are made to believe that Vergil hates assassins, despite the obvious signs there is more to him than meets the eye, I personally expected the story to be that he was the retired Assassin of Crimson who had turned his back on killing. Instead it turns out that his younger brother is the Assassin of Crimson, and has plotted to kill Vergil. Special mention has to go to the ending though where the Assassin of Crimson's allies come to save Vergil believing him to be their boss, and Vergil planning to use them to hunt down the true Assassin of Crimson.
While on the surface it seems to fit a prerequisite pattern it does a good job of subverting it in nice little ways.

It's a pleasant One shot and I'm sad that there isn't more of it as I have enjoyed other items of Yamaguchi Mikoto (such as Gun X Clover).
And I feel the idea of trying to trick the Assassin of Crimson's allies would of been interesting as Vergil tried to hunt down his brother.

fd23fd9f954e7e3a0bd92dbb1fcb183c.png

Ace of Diamond Act II 66

Kanemaru plays in this game, hype!!!!

Come on greedy Sawamura, you can get the Ace number!!!!

Also please be ace just so the moment we really want comes, I need battery with Okumura.
C4Kc2TsWcAATpP3.jpg:large

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

The biggest problem with this is that it legitimately makes Aoi a huge asshole for betraying the band because she made a completely unsupported, unconfirmed assumption that her love interest in the band was interested in someone else.

Aoi feeling ambivalence about her place in the band because she feels like a replacement for Akitsuki is a totally valid storyline angle. Running off and leaving the band high and dry because she thinks Haruna isn't romantically over Akitsuki is just dumb unless we're supposed to believe Aoi joined the band for the sole purpose of hooking up with Haruna.

Zweizer

Banned
You should hang out in the MangaGAF chat more, I have cropped the same exact image tonight in there to show how great she was... you would have had shared the enthusiasm!

Haha, I'm rather busy lately and not that good with chat groups. I really should pop up sometime though.

There's a MangaGAF chat and I was not a part of it?

Me insultado.

It's the irc channel wonzo made that's mentioned on the OP.

Dungeon Meshi 7.5

vE53UuM.jpg

wait a second...

Life is wonderful~

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Domestic na Kanojo 54.5

Ahhhhh, that familiar feeling when you are fucking your sister and you are forcibly reminded of the time you fucked her sister who is also your sister.

I don't know what it says that this isn't the first time I'd seen that exact setup.

Also, LEWD.

Domestic na Kanojo 54.5

Ahhhhh, that familiar feeling when you are fucking your sister and you are forcibly reminded of the time you fucked her sister who is also your sister.

I don't know what it says that this isn't the first time I'd seen that exact setup.

Also, LEWD.

Angry Grimace

I mean, in fairness, he isn't related to either of them in reality, but they're both sisters and he did flash back to losing his virginity to the younger sister while he was banging the older sister, who is also his teacher.

Zweizer

Banned
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! ch20

With the right motivation, they sure can be fearsome.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch20.5

The power of friendship compels you to share your poop!

No Guns Life Ch14 & 15: I guess that's one way to stop a rampaging extend... And stop blushing you damn gun head, what are you a teenage girl? It was a life saving procedure.

So my main questions are: Is she dead? and is the other GSU a girl?

Ballroom e Youkoso (In Review) Contains Spoilers:

A few pages ago I made a post about Ballroom e Youkoso, with great praise for it, while being unsure of what exactly made me enjoy it so much. So after re-reading it a few times I believe I have touched on my reason for loving this as much as I do and it's quite simple really. It's the progression of excitement and the focal point of that excitement, something that the writing of this manga does to perfection.

Let's now look into what I mean by 'the focal point of excitement'. This in it's simplest terms is those moments that make you wanna scream: "Wow! This is really cool." with these moments then getting you really excited and wishing for more of the manga to read. Throughout the manga we have had several ideas or concepts as well as actions or relationships that have driven this concept and below I'll go through each one explaining them and their effect on me, the reader.

Our first introduction to this concept is with Sengoku and then later Hyoudou being impressed/seeing something interesting in Tartara. This sense of interest spurs us on to care about this 'talent' they have perceived, getting us excited for what he will do next, wanting us to see the next evolution of Tartara's dance.

After this we have the incident where Tartara is forced to step in for Hyoudou after his leg injury forces him to the breaking point. Here we have our first example of Tartara's dancing style with it also being his first time partnered up, with Shizuku of all people, the reason he started dance in the first place. Not only does this serve to give us some excellent panels of the two together, wowing the ensemble cast with how well it's going, it also causes Hyoduou to feel challenged. Who promptly stealing back his attire and dancing a routine that Shizuku, an award winning dancer, has trouble keeping up with and feels like she's being swept up in it, giving us some more of those amazing panels.

The next arc after this is a large one of these, with the dynamic between Tartara and Mako, as well as their underdog story against the Shizuku & Gaju pair. Both of these do an excellent job of not only hooking you into the story but also progressing it, as we learn about the roles in dancing as well as the truth about the then current worth of Tartara's dance, with him and Mako finishing in seventh compared to Shizuku & Gaju who finish first, with Mako winning the 'flower of the dancefloor' award due to Tartara's wish of showing off how good and beautiful a dancer she was.

The last and current 'focal point' has been Tartara and Chinatsu's relationship as partners, with many likening it to him having to break in a particularly stubborn mare. You fall and rise with them as they progress through their turbulent relationship, which at points symbolically mirrors Sengoku's relationship with his own partner. This for me has been probably the greatest aspect so far, with their often similar inner thoughts hidden from each other behind their aggression only adding to the excitement you experience as they begin to take the dancefloor by storm.

Some people will wonder why I listed out each one of these points individually. I did it because I feel that anyone who has read this manga will of probably focused on these points the same as I have, being drawn into them. This beauty of writing is only possible due to how well the characters are realised in both their depth as characters and their depth on paper, in the art work, drawing out their expressions and emotions even more through it.

All in all Ballroome Youkoso is a excellent example of how something can become greater than the sum of it's parts, with both it's art, characters and story coming together to create a blend that draws you into it, wanting more. It's a subtle flavour but one that must be acknowledged and savoured. Can't wait for the next chapter to be released!

mdubs

Banned
New Jump Sales Rankings (Based on the first two days of sales)

One Piece 84 --> 1,500,448
MHA 12 --> 183,544
Promised Neverland 2 --> 40,683 (Strong growth! Previous volume first two days were 24,380).
Hinomaru Zumo 13 --> 20,372
Straighten Up! 9 --> 17,786 (Decline, previous volume first two days of release were 18,543)

MHA 12 --> 183,544
Promised Neverland 2 --> 40,683 (Strong growth! Previous volume first two days were 24,380).
Straighten Up! 9 --> 17,786 (Decline, previous volume first two days of release were 18,543)

You know its bad when you're already dropping below Zumou. I guess this isnt good for nontraditional competitive series. Sad that straighten up failed to grow.

MHA 12 --> 183,544

Is it feasible for One Piece to eventually reach 1 billion worldwide? It's at 406m now.

MHA 12 --> 183,544

How does the volume 1 -> volume 2 sales of neveland compare to jumps other break out hits like mha and bc?

mdubs

Banned
How does the volume 1 -> volume 2 sales of neveland compare to jumps other break out hits like mha and bc?

I found it interesting so I compiled below. Based on what we're seeing below, it looks like it is probably comparable to BC Vol. 2 since PN is at 40K with only 2 days captured. PN 1 did 49K in it's first 9 days, so that was a pretty strong start (BC did not chart a second time, so its max 13 day total is <82Kish).

This is sort of fun, so I'll keep adding to this post for our referencing pleasure.

Shonen Jump First Week Volume Sales

My Hero Academia

MHA Vol. 1 First Charting (6 days) --> 71,575
MHA Vol. 2 First Charting (8 days total) --> 167,905, Second Charting (15 days total) --> 205,179
MHA Vol. 3 First Charting (2 days) --> 132,801, Second Charting (9 days total) --> 226,129

Black Clover
Black Clover Vol. 1 (4 days) --> 38,128
Black Clover Vol. 2 (6 days) --> 61,918
Black Clover Vol. 3 (2 days) --> 43,122, Second Charting (9 days total) --> 80,462
Black Clover Vol. 7 (4 days) --> 78,464

Food Wars: Shokugeki No Soma
Shokugeki No Soma Vol. 1 (4 days) --> 71,367
Shokugeki No Soma Vol. 2 (6 days) --> 134,842, Second Charting (13 days total) --> 176,682.
Shokugeki No Soma Vol. 3 (3 days) --> 108,389, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 201,072.

Assassination Classroom
Assassination Classroom Vol. 1 (3 days) --> 121,058, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 208,375.
Assassination Classroom Vol. 2 (3 days) --> 200,626, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 347,378
Assassination Classroom Vol. 3 (7 days) --> 327,856, Second Charting (14 days total) --> 453,678

The Promised Neverland
The Promised Neverland Vol. 1 (3 days) --> 24,380, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 49,785
The Promised Neverland Vol. 2 (2 days) --> 40,683, Second Charting (9 days total) --> 78,409

Kimetsu No Yaiba
Vol. 1 (3 days) --> Did not chart, <16,966.
Vol. 2 (4 days) --> 16,323 (lol)
Vol. 3 (6 days) --> 25,967

Yuragi-so no Yuna-san
Vol. 1 (3 days) --> 29,743
Vol. 2 (4 days) --> 64,527
Vol. 3 (6 days) --> 84,885, Second Charting (13 days total) --> 106,619

Haikyu!!
Vol. 1 (7 days) --> 31,428
Vol. 2 (3 days) --> 46,784, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 81,413.
Vol. 3 (4 days) --> 87,461, Second Charting (11 days total) --> 123,180

Nisekoi
Vol. 1 (5 days) --> 45,317
Vol. 2 (5 days) --> 73,216, Second charting (12 days total) --> 94,559
Vol. 3 (3 days) --> 66,177, Second Charting (10 days total) --> 110,478

Pile of Doom
Red Sprite --> Cancelled after 2 volumes
Vol. 1 (2 days) --> Did not chart, <24,114, Second Charting (9 days total) --> Did not chart, total sales <38K

Spring Weapon No. 1
Vol. 1 (2 days) --> Did not chart, <12,207, Second Charting (9 days total), Did not Chart (11,212)

Amalgam of Distortion
Vol. 1 (2 days) --> Did not chart, <12,207, Second Charting (9 days total), Did not Chart (11,212)

mdubs

Banned
We can also see here that (along with the awful survey rankings) that Amalgam and Spring Weapon are completely dead on arrival.

Both did less than <12,207 in the two days. May they rest in peace.

I dont think Promised Neverland will get as big as BLack Clover.

PN 2 is 2.5K away from Black Clover 3, so that's something.

Angry Grimace

Attack on Titan 90

Weird to see this series progress in massive ways. Usually long and highly popular series stall out for a decade...

No reason it would stop selling when its over. It would take a while but it could make it.
yes there is because literally nothing continues to sell after it ends

There's no way it will sell 600,000,000 more copies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 157

This mangaka has clearly been reading Keijo.

Attack on Titan ch. 90

The scene at the end of the chapter was actually a pretty cool little moment. Feel somewhat disappointed that the rest of the titans were cleaned up off-panel, but oh well.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 49

Well, at least they're all open with each other how they feel.

Tomo 493 - 499

Well the sleepover sure was fun. Though Tomo has a serious battle ahead. Will she actually get Jun to feel things towards her that aren't confusing to him?

Top Bottom