• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Sukedachi Nine Ch13-17: Another set of solid chapters and nifty executions, with the doctor's execution of his target being pretty outstanding. But the best bit of this set of chapters has to be for sure the 'break' chapter. No words, no thought bubbles, everything conveyed through facial expressions, which is especially poignant considering who it centers around.

To you, the immortal Ch12: Seeing him learn to speak was cool, though it did make me sad to realise he never knew the first boys name.

Dungeon Meshi Ch1-30: Saw this recommended throughout the thread and thought i'd give it a shot.
At first I assumed it was just a gag manga but then when stuff started to get real I was really impressed more so than I had before,
looking forward to more.

Tripon

Astra Lost in Space 1-25

SHINOHARA Kenta new series after Sket Dance. This isn't running in Weekly Jump, but instead online I believe.

Quick summary: A group of 9 students are randomly selected to become part of a camping trip. At the start of the trip, something quickly goes wrong and becomes something like Star Trek: Voyager, stranded thousands of light years from home, they have to slowly trek back to Earth. Meanwhile, they realize they may be part of a larger conspiracy.

It's a good series, and features a lot of the humor that was in Sket Dance. It's also a lot more ecchi than Sket Dance ever was, just because all the characters are in skin tight suits and they play on that with each character. You can read weekly chapters on Viz's website for free.

Ichigeki - 1

Jiro Matsumoto doing historical samurai at the end of Edo period? Interesting.

H2ztFg0.png

Ichigeki - 1

Jiro Matsumoto doing historical samurai at the end of Edo period? Interesting.

Saw this, looks interesting so far, will have to wait and see where it goes.

Attack On Titan Ch90: I think my reason for digging Mikasa so much is due to my penchant for dating much physically fitter athletes.

One Piece Ch855: Been saying Brook had been the main MVP of this arc and here he goes topping himself, in more ways than one.

My Hero Academia Ch126: That All Might impersonation. Perfect!

Black Clover Ch97: So he was so mediocre he became the perfect anti-magician??

Daemons Plan Ch11: That fight was a bit of a let down...

One Punch Man (Murata) Ch71-72: Alright chapters, glad we're moving away from the tournament.

Tokyo Ghoul re: Ch112 Couldn't stop laughing at all of Sakio's dumb looking abilities... as someone who understands the lore it's neat but it's aesthetically lacking...

Happiness Ch25: Cool I can dig a time skip... feels a little bit too like Ajin's framing here with it though..

All Out Ch45-46: Gion and crew finally starting to get in sync!

Jagaaaaaaan Ch1: What the hell was I smoking here? Seems fun though will wait and see where it goes... and if I can get that owl as a plushy.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - Tensaitachi no Renai Zunousen Ch52: So is the prez's sister now gunning for her as well now?

Dolls Ch77-78: Wait what???

Fuck it.

Jagaaaaan! 1

Something about this art was bugging me, as in it looked familiar, but it looks like the only other thing he did was that awful I Am a Hero spin-off. I coulda sworn he did something else, but maybe I just wasn't sure because of how closely it looked like either the I Am a Hero guy's stuff or some random horror manga nowadays.

Anyways, it has an interesting premise and I have to applaud the use of exaggerated facial expressions in the first part to make it seem normal that the dude freaking out had an exaggerated face until...he actually turned, which was kinda clever. The misanthrope main character can easily fall into the void of overdone grim characters (I refuse to say edgy) but dudes like him totally exist and it follows a trend of characters like that who put on that happy face but have shitty inner thoughts because of the mundane, gutter level of their life. Like, I'm not about to pretend that I never wished someone would get hit by a car, you think of some fucked up shit to keep you sane when you're in a bad place. So to give him a superpower seems like it might have neat consequences.

BUT WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ANY OF THAT, LOOK AT THIS BALLER AS FUCK OWL

4act65Y.png

Imma follow it just for this little guy.

Undead Police Zondetta (One-shot)

I wish this wasn't a one-shot and the picture quality was a little better because sometimes the action got muddled.

But this was a pretty cute collection of 4komas about a zombie police officer who joins the force under a werewolf and them keeping the law with humans and non-humans. Pretty non-serious, gag oriented and it gave me a chuckle or two but mostly I just really liked the characters. Zondetta is very genuine but a bit of a fuck-up and has a tendency to get herself damaged as her answer to everything (the 4koma about her running and her boob falling off and sliding out her shirt was surprisingly funny). Very emotional and eager to serve but rarely sure how to do so (such as being told to help an old person with directions, but then another old person asks her so she leads one away with her legs and one with her arms). Her partner the werewolf is a bad-ass and can solve most of their issues through violence but she quickly learns to like Zondetta, maybe almost entirely because she finally has a kouhai to be protective of. Eventually there's a hold up somewhere and Zondetta rushes in and takes a ton of bullets to protect the non-human inside and makes a hot-blooded announcement that it's never okay to take a life before the werewolf scolds her for getting all shot up and not caring about her own body.

So it was just a fun read. There's...um...a lot of panty shots though. Very detailed panty shots.

I'd enjoy an ongoing series like this. The MC is a super tall and thicc zombie girl, which is fine by me. Monster Musume already taught us that zombie girls are best girls.

-----

Meanwhile Biorg Trinity updated and it's been so long that I forgot what that dumb manga was even about. Probably something dumb. Dammit Oh Great.

Dungeon Meshi

Read through the entire series after I knew it was getting a anime

and man what a nice surprise it was for the ending of what seems to be Part 1 of the series

it is talking a more heavy tone with a bigger focus on the plot

I just hope that when they re-eneter the dungeon again we won't need to slug through all those levels again

cntr

Banned
pretty funny that people expected We Can't Study to be trash from the get-go and U19 to start okay, but it was the other way around

Droplet

Astra Lost in Space 25

I hope it's him so we can start getting into the real plot. We've pretty much cycled through everyone's backgrounds so far, although there are a couple other characters that could use a little more development.

I'm not sure I totally like the way the topic of Luca's gender is being handled. While his using it to embarrass Ulgar seems entirely in line with his character, the bit in Aries' narration about finding a new girlfriend just comes off as bizarrely tactless, especially as it comes right after her telling us that he requested the other crew mates treat him as a man. It's not like I think he's a bad character or that I feel like the revelation was poorly handled, nor do I find the reaction of the other characters unbelievable. It's just the way that small bit is presented that bothers me.

Tomo What-fucking-ever

There is almost nothing I hate more than people who like a tomboy only when she has lost all of her confident/aggressive/GOOD traits.

"Oh, she looks like a GIRL now, swooooooon"

Fuck you Jun, you cunt.

Droplet

By the way, for anyone who has never read Jiro Taniguchi's works, I would really recommend The Walking Man. It's just one volume long and fairly light on dialogue.

mdubs

Banned
Inside Mari - All

Whew that was a ride. I read it all in one sitting because I wanted some more Oshimi after reading vol. 3 of Happiness, and I think it was a good work for the way that it slowly unwound the story. I feel like Oshimi's stories are sort of in a lower-tier than Asano's in the sense that they sort of plumb emerging sexuality and things but just not in as profound or affective a way for me.

Mousou Telepathy 135 - 150

Well, Toda and Nanako get to spend some time together bonding, sort of. Though of course Toda ruins everything with his pervert thinking.

Though now that I think about it, how has Nanako never heard perverted thoughts from any other guy thinking about a girl. Maybe because its just about her, but you'd think she'd be used to hearing that kinda thing.

gintama 622 - 623

Jirochou and Pirako are back to join the fight. I'm just wondering how many characters are left to bring back. I mean it looks like just about every single character is making a return.

kasane

we cant study

i honestly like it but its in the generic school rom-com type of way. I'm guess 50+ chapters or maximuma of 150 smtn. Unless they break the mold and add people to the harem i dont see this lasting long

I definitely think the latest chapter is another fake-out. Honestly, if that was the real answer I'd be annoyed because it doesn't make any sense for how she treated him up to that point. It also doesn't make any sense for the side-stories to exist from a viewpoint that isn't his or the 3rd person omniscient point of view that we've gotten this entire time with the thoughts of non-MC characters able to be known.

Maybe people were right and she drugged the tea and is now using the effects of it to hypnotize him or make him hallucinate.

kasane

Alice in Borderland - Queen of Heart

I have never wish so much for a fictional character to be real.

thats me with alice and her mom, also i wish my basketball manager back then was the girl from haikyuu

i would do everything to tap that

Usobuko

Banned
I definitely think the latest chapter is another fake-out. Honestly, if that was the real answer I'd be annoyed because it doesn't make any sense for how she treated him up to that point. It also doesn't make any sense for the side-stories to exist from a viewpoint that isn't his or the 3rd person omniscient point of view that we've gotten this entire time with the thoughts of non-MC characters able to be known.

Maybe people were right and she drugged the tea and is now using the effects of it to hypnotize him or make him hallucinate.

I gave the author bonus points for the transition to the
therapy
scene. It feels real and make the reader double-take this reveal, not that I'm inclined to believe it.

thats me with alice and her mom, also i wish my basketball manager back then was the girl from haikyuu

i would do everything to tap that

Not saying I would tap that but Mira Kanou has this alluring unrestrained curiosity about humanity.

kasane

I gave the author bonus points for the transition to the
therapy
scene. It feels real and make the reader double-take this reveal, not that I'm inclined to believe it.

Not saying I would tap that but Mira Kanou has this alluring unrestrained curiosity about humanity.

if she understands humanity thats prime material for tapping
cheeky.gif
cheeky.gif

Monster Musume 50
Yeah, Kyurii having a kind of nocturnal schizophrenia was the most likely explanation, though it seems she still has a reasonable amount of control at night. Now it's up to Papi to remedy the situation by having her blood sucked or doing other useless Papi-like things. Also daytime Kyurii confirmed for hyper cute.

Ballroom e Youkoso - Heat 39

First. Then...
Pandering to the Yuri on Ice crowd, I see... :p :p

The previous chapter had a family theme, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if after this tourney Tatara tells his father he is dancing, as precisely in one or two chapters before Chinatsu tells he is coward because of that.

In this chapter is when things get serious, they are in the semi finals so a small error can mean disqualification, he finally understands the reality of competition, judges give a limited amount of points, so if your rivals gets one, that's a point you don't win. Add to that he is competing against a pro like Kugimiya, and that he knows he is still not dancing well with his partner, and the stress of the situation is piling up within him.

In addition it seems Hyodou did something which is both helping him but also a test, he will have to control his body even better, but I think in the end it will be beneficial.

dumbyugi

Tomo What-fucking-ever

There is almost nothing I hate more than people who like a tomboy only when she has lost all of her confident/aggressive/GOOD traits.

"Oh, she looks like a GIRL now, swooooooon"

Fuck you Jun, you cunt.

Not that I don't understand why you would feel this way but I think you're missing the point. Jun loves Tomo but doesn't want their relationship to change so it's easier for him just to keep acting like she's one of his male friends, but when she acts/dresses like an average girl he can't keep pretending that she's just one of the guys and it bothers him greatly, as recent chapters have shown.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch503

At least they'll get to see a pretty sight before going bankrupt.

Monster Musume ch50

Poor girl has it rough. Her life must suck.

Kingdom ch506

Huh, they're actually doing a bit worse than I'd hoped.

Love Tyrant ch43

Phew, he sure is persistent.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch47

Unexpected focus on side characters. Still, good for them.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch21

Pretty good discussion.

DEAD Tube ch30

That went quick.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Rip Taniguchi. Will try reading his works.

Attack on Titan 90
Time skip and a slight change to charaxter. I dig Eren new hairstyle. I can't see this manga going for a happy ending. At the very least, i think the author manage to convey futility and desperation to these characters. Eren and Armin only has a few years left, could die anytime, and if yhey try to venture to the new world, they will be hunted and killed immediately. Talk about bleak future

cntr

Banned
Angel Densetsu Ch. 1-6 (Reread)

Trying to get back into the reading habit, and what better manga to try again with than this one?

...I forgot how rough the art was at the beginning.

sasuke_91

People always say how bad Fairy Tail has become, so I decided to check out the latest 3 chapters and wow...
It's like the author isn't even trying anymore. The outcome of that fight was so wrong on so many levels. I'd be really pissed if I was still a fan of the manga.

/looks a few pages.

Ohh the art style is really interesting. I will put it in my pending queue.

I read

Ookami Ningen to Ningen Ookami

8kWMJcH.png

From the same author, but a single chapter. I read it to gain a feeling of the author. Funnily, it seems she has a fixation for the same ideas, as it repeats concepts from Totsukuni no Shoujo (big guy with an animal head taking care of a small child in a lonely house). Is it that 'her thing'?
Problem is, where it goes with it...
marriage, really? with what was basically your adopted daughter? Burn all manga!

Edit:

Daisy, Mata Ashita

Ok she definitively had a weird fetish going on.

Nordicus

I read

Ookami Ningen to Ningen Ookami

8kWMJcH.png

From the same author, but a single chapter. I read it to gain a feeling of the author. Funnily, it seems she has a fixation for the same ideas, as it repeats concepts from Totsukuni no Shoujo (big guy with an animal head taking care of a small child in a lonely house). Is it that 'her thing'?
Problem is, where it goes with it...
marriage, really? with what was basically your adopted daughter? Burn all manga!

Edit:

Daisy, Mata Ashita

Ok she definitively had a weird fetish going on.
Thankfully at least Totsukuni no Shoujo doesn't go that route. Or at least hasn't yet.

People always say how bad Fairy Tail has become, so I decided to check out the latest 3 chapters and wow...
It's like the author isn't even trying anymore. The outcome of that fight was so wrong on so many levels. I'd be really pissed if I was still a fan of the manga.

I dont understand how one can conclude that without the whole arc context.

cntr

Banned
I'unno, I still shake my head over the moment I noped out of Fairy Tail

and as far as I know, it was downhill from there

Top Bottom