• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

we never learn 6 - 7

If ogata's short essay were acceptable, school would have been a lot easier.
Takemoto sure got to Yuiga's house in a hurry.
I can relate though to Takemoto when it comes to studying.

Weekly Shonen Jump #17

My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
My Hero Academia Smash!! (Special Chapter)
1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
3. Gintama
4. We Never Learn (FIRST RANKING)
The Promised Neverland (CP)
Hungry Marie
5. Haikyu!!
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
Dr. Stone
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
9. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
U19
10. Samon the Summoner
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Weekly Shonen Jump #18
Cover: Boruto
Lead CP: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
CP: My Hero Academia, Boruto

Sandfox

Weekly Shonen Jump #17

1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
3. Gintama
Hungry Marie
5. Haikyu!!
Dr. Stone
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
7. Hinomaru Zumou
U19
10. Samon the Summoner
11. Spring Weapon No. 1

Weekly Shonen Jump #18
Well that's a good sign.

cntr

Banned
I sometimes wonder if there are people who genuinely enjoy relationships being delayed for trite reasons and love triangles and stuff, and how long ago their ancestors mated with Cthulhu

Catch Love (NSFW doujin)

Mira x softball x yuri x xxx. TIL how important the relationship between pitcher and catcher is. As well as how crucial it is to have a supportive team captain.

Tejina Senpai 45-46

You could argue that senpai not really doing any magic isn't hugely different from normal. Still, despite her tendency for comedic failure, I don't think the clown getup suits her.

Weekly Shonen Jump #17

1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
3. Gintama
Hungry Marie
5. Haikyu!!
Dr. Stone
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba
7. Hinomaru Zumou
U19
10. Samon the Summoner
11. Spring Weapon No. 1

Weekly Shonen Jump #18

Fully ecpecting we never learn to drop in the coming weeks.

BLack Clover no cp in first. Awesome.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch136

Does it count as doping?

Keijo_Vol_14_Ch_136_Self_Assorbed.png

No need to be jealous, you'll always be her number one~

Tejina Senpai ch45-46

The bullying is even worse than normal with this getup.

Tread lightly around yanderes.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch12-12.1

Oh nice, a sporty tomboy gal.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch23.5

It all worked out in the end. Thanks, panda!

Binetsu Kuukan ch10

Shame, it's a cute photo

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch32

Eh, these aren't very creative names.

I sometimes wonder if there are people who genuinely enjoy relationships being delayed for trite reasons and love triangles and stuff, and how long ago their ancestors mated with Cthulhu

I've had it mangasplained to me before, multiple times by multiple people, that a relationship requited leaves the manga with nothing else interesting to do. I used to argue it, but now I just point to Jitsu wa Watashi wa and go "Try harder"

It's just such a silly position to have. Like...why would someone actually getting together with their love interest in either a sci-fi romance, shonen action or literally anything else be like "Welp, there's nothing else going on in this manga and when people get together in real life literally nothing else interesting happens to them. Life is pretty much a white sheet of paper at that point"

It's infuriating.

I've had it mangasplained to me before, multiple times by multiple people, that a relationship requited leaves the manga with nothing else interesting to do. I used to argue it, but now I just point to Jitsu wa Watashi wa and go "Try harder"

It's just such a silly position to have. Like...why would someone actually getting together with their love interest in either a sci-fi romance, shonen action or literally anything else be like "Welp, there's nothing else going on in this manga and when people get together in real life literally nothing else interesting happens to them. Life is pretty much a white sheet of paper at that point"

It's infuriating.
The problem is when the love triangle/harem/whatever is the only thing the manga has to offer, so if "solved" then these series are rarely prepared to deal with anything other than shitty drama, temporary splits, that kind of predictable garbage.

Soma is at it's best when it's fucking ridiculous and doesn't try to be realistic.

The problem is when the love triangle/harem/whatever is the only thing the manga has to offer, so if "solved" then these series are rarely prepared to deal with anything other than shitty drama, temporary splits, that kind of predictable garbage.

Yeah that's the main issue. If a manga cannot continue or be interesting after the romance resolves itself, maybe there wasn't very much interesting in the manga to begin with?

Don't confuse that with a romance manga who's main thrust is the difficulty of resolving the issues to allow them to get together which is a different beast than just not doing it.

dramatis

It seems like a lot of NTR/harem fans can't conceive of the idea that there is romantic conflict outside of love interest rivals and the initial stage of decision on who X actually loves.

Like for endings it feels like there's always timeskip and happily ever after is always the bridal gown and suit. Like the marriage of two people truly in love will be the end of all conflict.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We Never Learn at 4th? Impressive. I guess Japanese fans really like harems.
Well, harems grounded in "reality" since Love Rush bombed hard

I actually loved um...fuck...I can't remember what manga it was but it wasn't romance, and was a story about something else but there was some romance there that after the time skip it turned out the girl and guy dated for a while and broke up because it didn't work out and now they're seeing other people but still friends and like THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN MANGA. If you like a girl when you're 15 YOU'LL BE TOGETHER FOREVER WITH NO PROBLEMS EVER.

Amusingly, two manga that do it well are Onani Master Kurosawa and Molester Man.

It's like the end of Sekai Oni (SPOILERS)
where the MC builds her mother up the entire time and wants to be with her again at the end and when she finally reunites and lives with her...after the time skip she's leaving the house because her mom brought another shit boyfriend home and is kinda a bad mom
(SPOILERS).

Like...why can't more manga do some shit like that? That's so much more interesting.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii 15

Jesus.

Christ.

I don't even know what fucking happened in this chapter because of the header and ender.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
To weigh in as a person who does legitimately like love triangles and will-they-or-won't-they scenarios, I think people are making a mistake thinking "romance" is the key element here. It's honestly more about the teasing. That and the waifu wars. There is a weird appeal of putting all your chips into the "best girl" and wanting them to win. More importantly, there is tremendous fun in shit talking other people's tastes.

I don't so much want a real human relationship because that's not where the fun is for me. If I want a straight up romance, I'll find a romance because fundamentally those have different structures and stories. The real fun here is when my chapters come up where my chosen girl gets the time to shine against others to either win or lose in a battle and in the process give me dumb reaction pictures to put in a folder almost exclusive to shit talking other people who like this thing.

I haven't been into one of these in a super long while since The World God Only Knows, but I have fond memories of just shit talking people who liked Chiyo left and right and then getting really hyped when Ayumi fans showed up. Those moments were probably some of the most fun I had with TWGOK and now that a winner has been established, I can't really get that same type of 'fun' from it. Honestly when you get down to it, it's basically just being a sports fan with anime girls instead. People like sports teams less for the game and more for the chance to see their team win and to talk smack about the other one.

cntr

Banned
It's infuriating.
Oh, yeah, I've heard that before. And it makes me angry too, like blah. That's taking the idea that stories are based on conflict so...literally. Writing's more complicated than that.

I only read non-melodrama romance. I should start reading Horimiya sometime...

It just doesn't make sense in a lot if series. If it's the only person in a non-harem manga it's just dumb if they don't just get together when there's nothing of actual relevance but awkward blushing getting in their way. Or when harem aspects are introduced but it's pointless because the main guy already likes a girl or the other girls are attached for no reason but to fulfill the harem purpose.

TWGOK and Jitsu Wa are different because of plot relevance and execution.

Harem manga can still be good but it mostly isn't due to awful execution based around the need to continue the harem and not because of realistic progression thanks to plot or character writing.

redlemon

TWGOK tanked in quality once started to get more harem-ish. Halfway through the goddess arc the quality just dropped like a stone. The shorter arc's that just focused on one girl at a time were much more entertaining.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He probably dumped Chihiro after the series and hooked up with a superior haremite.

I mean, I thought it was a pretty great twist that during the identifying goddesses section he got a false positive from her because she always liked him. That was a pretty good indicator of where things were going.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the point is that he was dating her because he felt bad for hurting her feelings, but then that feeling passed after the series ended and he married Haqua instead.

This happened.

bobohoro

In what world was Chihiro not the only sensible option at the end?

Love is hard for otaku 15

They had me fooled as well.
Made me realise that I really missed this short and sweet manga the past few weeks/months.

Top Bottom