• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

bobohoro

Hajime No Ippo 1191

I'm not sure I'm liking this fight. It's more a slaughter for the sole reason of showing of his new move (or at least teasing it), which feels kinda disrespectful. I mean, get in there and end him clean, that would've been a nice show of strength, but this horsing around feels weird for someone as serious and honest as Ippo.

Mai Ball 88

Getting into the head of your opponent to make them lose focus is a valid strategy.
Still, betting on her fumbling a penalty kick was a rather asspully strategy.

I haven't heard of a single one of the new licenses that Seven Seas has announced so far lol. I just keep asking for lewd stuff or the Zero no Tsukaima LNs every month.

Stalwart

Best new manga of the past 5~ years to pick up? Kind of feel like getting back into it after a long break. I've been seeing quite a few mentions of My Hero Academia and The Promised Neverland; not interested in SnK/AoT or any horror titles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes, and in the next arc they're fine. Deku got seriously fucked up for punching with his full strength, to the point where he can't do it without permanent damage. Which led to the creation of his new fighting style. The self-damage is so much more purposeful here.

Except you didn't even refute his point, because Deku doesn't often win by "punching harder."

Luffy is good, but so devoid of depth that saying he's "better than Deku" is absolute nonsense. He epitomizes shonen. He fights for his friends. He eats a lot. He's dumb. He's irreverent and fearless. He goes to extreme lengths to save people. Granted, the execution on him is actually pretty good, but there's nothing new or interesting about him. He never actually rises above his archetype, so I'm never genuinely invested in his character. Sure, I can't lie and say I don't get absolutely pumped when he manages to defeat a powerful foe, but Luffy for the most part, punches his way through problems and nothing else.

Deku is so much better on the character front. His character isn't nearly as repetitive, there are lasting consequences for his recklessness, and the plot doesn't bend itself backwards to make him out to beat the main bad guy. The character is sympathetic as fuck and immensely relatable because he comes across as an actual person instead of a beast that moves on instinct. He's introverted and a dweeb, but passionate enough to convince others without the author lying to the audience (ala Naruto's talk no Jutsu).

And his powers rock. His take on "super strength and super speed" is interesting because he's forced to work around his limitations. The lore behind his power alone puts above "fire and ice, explody man, acid, etc."
Luffy is simple but this analysis seems to completely miss a large chunk of Luffy's characterisation. Luffy doesn't simply care for his friends he actively doesn't care for a whole bunch of people which has changed subtly as the story went on mostly due to the death of his brother. A typical protagonist in Luffy's position would be a marine or revolutionary that's exactly who deku would be in that world. Luffy never ponders or actively cares about the state of the crapsack world he inhabits. He helps those on the way with his journey and those he cares about but his goal has nothing to do with the world itself in fact bit's literally the most selfish goal in the world. That's because he's a fundamentally self involved person.

Early on he was also reasonably callous (and still is to some degree). These are shown during various events like his people die speech to vivi something he almost certainly later regrets despite how accurate he was. Ultimately he personify's chaotic good which as a pirate works but he isn't all the similar to most shounen protagonists. They tend either enact a positve world view or are bystanders with no real goal that get caught up in something.

They have goals worth striving for that usually contribute to society. Pirate King is not one of those contributive goals. It may do but that'a not remotely why Luffy is chasing it.

Usobuko

Banned
Best new manga of the past 5~ years to pick up? Kind of feel like getting back into it after a long break. I've been seeing quite a few mentions of My Hero Academia and The Promised Neverland; not interested in SnK/AoT or any horror titles.

What kind of manga or even anime do you like?

Stalwart

What kind of manga or even anime do you like?

I made a broad statement with a few exclusions just to pick up anything that people would generally consider to be above average to excellent that's come out in that time frame. Shounen/Seinen and Shoujo/Josei are all fine with me, I just don't like overly gory series or horror. I mostly liked the stuff that would run in Shounen Jump, plus comedy or mindgames series are fun when done well like GTO and Liar Game. I've read pretty much all the "classics" (popular SJ stuff, Berserk despite what I said above, Jojo's, etc)

I made a broad statement with a few exclusions just to pick up anything that people would generally consider to be above average to excellent that's come out in that time frame. Shounen/Seinen and Shoujo/Josei are all fine with me, I just don't like overly gory series or horror. I mostly liked the stuff that would run in Shounen Jump, plus comedy or mindgames series are fun when done well like GTO and Liar Game. I've read pretty much all the "classics" (popular SJ stuff, Berserk despite what I said above, Jojo's, etc)

Manga that started 2012 or later.
Spirit Circle (Newest work from Mizukami, most either put it as the strongest or second strongest of his mangas)
Grand Blue (Comedy and diving....maybe...sometimes....no.)
Mob Psycho 100 (One's real project, nearing the end soon)
Dungeon Meshi (Adventure, sorta Etrain Odyssey like)
Jitsu wa Watashi wa (Good RomCom)
Golden Kamuy (Adventure, Action...eating a lot of cute animals)
Beastars (Your gateway to becoming a Furry, still quite new so it could jump shark)
Flying Witch (Relaxing Slice of Life)

Stalwart

Manga that started 2012 or later.
Spirit Circle (Newest work from Mizukami, most either put it as the strongest or second strongest of his mangas)
Grand Blue (Comedy and diving....maybe...sometimes....no.)
Mob Psycho 100 (One's real project, nearing the end soon)
Dungeon Meshi (Adventure, sorta Etrain Odyssey like)
Jitsu wa Watashi wa (Good RomCom)
Golden Kamuy (Adventure, Action...eating a lot of cute animals)
Beastars (Your gateway to becoming a Furry, still quite new so it could jump shark)
Flying Witch (Relaxing Slice of Life)

Awesome, thank you! I'll take a look at all of these later today.

Keyman
Kaguya-sama Wants To Be Confessed To
Helck
The Ancient Magus Bride

Zweizer

Banned

On top of the recommendations above, I'd also add:

Keijo
Bloom Into You
My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness
The Little Match Girl
Once Again
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
One Punch-Man
Tonari no Robot
Flying Witch
Zannen Onna-Kanbu Black General-san
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
A Silent Voice
Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki
Zai x 10

Usobuko

Banned

I'll second Grand Blue, Dungeon Meshi, Hinamatsuri, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san and Mob Psycho 100 for comedy stuff. These also have kinda a large following in MangaGaf, particularly Grand Blue whose humor is similar to GTO and other shounen manga.

Now for mindgames though, I will have to stan for Alice in Borderland again. I'll let its pictures speak for itself.

42SAtaQ.jpg

Chase17

Jump ToC 42:

One Piece (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Yakusoku no Neverland
Dr. Stone
Robot X Laserbeam
Black Clover
Kochikame (Color Page, Special Chapter)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
We Never Learn
Raven Burai (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #3)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Boku no Hero Academia (Color Page)
Hinomaru Zumou
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Shokugeki no Souma
Spring Weapon No.1
Haikyuu!!
Gintama
Shoodan!
Harapeko no Marie
Cross Account
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Absent : Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)
43:

Shokugeki no Souma (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #4)
PSI Kusuo Saiki, We Never Learn (Color Page)

Jump ToC 42:

One Piece (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Yakusoku no Neverland
Dr. Stone
Robot X Laserbeam
Black Clover
Kochikame (Color Page, Special Chapter)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
We Never Learn
Raven Burai (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #3)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Boku no Hero Academia (Color Page)
Hinomaru Zumou
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Shokugeki no Souma
Spring Weapon No.1
Haikyuu!!
Gintama
Shoodan!
Harapeko no Marie
Cross Account
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Absent : Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)
43:

Shokugeki no Souma (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #4)
PSI Kusuo Saiki, We Never Learn (Color Page)

BLack Clover ftw.

I wonder about Haikyuu!! :( Inarizaki isnt that bad.

DNAbro

One Piece 878

So this is going to be Luffy's end of arc fight. I hope this ends up awesome.

My Hero Academia 153

Even Overhaul goes beyond. Both OP and this setting up the final main fights for their arc. Also really curious what Toga and Twice are planning.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch878

This little flashback was nice. Guess Katakuri will functionally be the final boss of this arc.

New Game! ch60-61

jerkptkgg.png

Wow she can be a real jerk. Having difficult family circumstances isn't an excuse. It bit her on the ass fast too. Good thing Nenecchi is such a good friend.

Nenecchi, the co-worker everyone dreams to have.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch61-63

Missed opportunity to do something bold.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch636

She's just showing off now.

Shokugeki no Soma ch231

Teamwork,h. I know someone who's gonna be ecstatic for the next few weeks.

My Hero Academia ch153

Overhaul's quirk is kinda like Crazy Diamond.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch217

I wouldn't call being a Nice Guy™ manly.

upandaway

My Hero Academia

Now that I think about it, I guess Overhaul's ability is a much stronger healing ability than healing girl. Deku would have been able to fire off 100% shots freely with that kind of ability on the heroes' side.

As usual a villain "transforming" himself in desperation is the ultimate trigger that he's going down this arc so there's no way Overhaul is making it out of this (except maybe into jail).

Dr Stone

What a cliffhanger... also noticed that CERN logo in the Senku glass.

The situation with the killer and the tournament is being taken a lot more lightly than I thought. Well if the manga doesn't feel threatened then I sure won't

Saudades

Voynich Hotel is also getting licensed by Seven Seas, June 2018 first vol releases. I'm happy that for every month for the past 6 months I've included Voynich in their survey for what I want them to bring over.
I just reread that last weekend (I think there was a thread about the Voynich manuscript getting translated or some shit so I just felt like it) and was hoping it would get picked up. What a coincidence.
Too bad it's at 3 vols which is like 600 pages so they can't just make a big omnibus of it (just ordered Viz's Solanin last week which is 400-something pages).

My Hero Academia

Now that I think about it, I guess Overhaul's ability is a much stronger healing ability than healing girl. Deku would have been able to fire off 100% shots freely with that kind of ability on the heroes' side.

As usual a villain "transforming" himself in desperation is the ultimate trigger that he's going down this arc so there's no way Overhaul is making it out of this (except maybe into jail).

Dr Stone

What a cliffhanger... also noticed that CERN logo in the Senku glass.

The situation with the killer and the tournament is being taken a lot more lightly than I thought. Well if the manga doesn't feel threatened then I sure won't

Honestly I think it's been clear for a while that Overhaul and his group would be done after this arc (with the obvious exception of Rappa)

Usobuko

Banned
Here I am wondering if folks who are reading Dr Stone read Sun-Ken Rock before. That was a pretty "meh" series, you can't feel tension despite the great battle illustrations.

For those who are looking for mind game manga. Look no further from the best of the best. KAIJI

Zawa Zawa Zawa.^_^

Nono, you should lead him to the light.

Kaiji is to Alice in Borderland is like Horizon is to Breath of the Wild, without the graphic / story / diversity where the former does better that is.

Thanks you guys! Can't wait to catch up on the good stuff I missed. That Alice in Borderland looks pretty great too.

That Six of Diamond game is a side story and consist of only 2 chapters. You don't need any prior knowledge and it's the litmus test to see if you will like the series or not. When reading Alice in Borderland, note that side stories and mains stories go along hand-in-hand.

Also, I'm very very sure you'll like Grand Blue if you like GTO.

casiopao

Here I am wondering if folks who are reading Dr Stone read Sun-Ken Rock before. That was a pretty "meh" series, you can't feel tension despite the great battle illustrations.

Nono, you should lead him to the light.

Kaiji is to Alice in Borderland is like Horizon is to Breath of the Wild, without the graphic / story / diversity where the former does better that is.

That Six of Diamond game is a side story and consist of only 2 chapters. You don't need any prior knowledge and it's the litmus test to see if you will like the series or not. When reading Alice in Borderland, note that side stories and mains stories go along hand-in-hand.

Also, I'm very very sure you'll like Grand Blue if you like GTO.

Haha. Kaiji for me is literally one of the best gambling manga as not only it had great games, it also had one of the best MC ever.

I mean, since when we can have such pathetic MC on live and we still root for him.^_^

I still remember, "MAKE INU" Loser dog tag for him lol.^_^

And of course Kaiji also had the best villain ever lol. That Luck of God.^_^

PK Gaming

One Piece

GZRLwmB.png

I don't think I need to say anything else.

Luffy is simple but this analysis seems to completely miss a large chunk of Luffy's characterisation. Luffy doesn't simply care for his friends he actively doesn't care for a whole bunch of people which has changed subtly as the story went on mostly due to the death of his brother. A typical protagonist in Luffy's position would be a marine or revolutionary that's exactly who deku would be in that world. Luffy never ponders or actively cares about the state of the crapsack world he inhabits. He helps those on the way with his journey and those he cares about but his goal has nothing to do with the world itself in fact bit's literally the most selfish goal in the world. That's because he's a fundamentally self involved person.

Early on he was also reasonably callous (and still is to some degree). These are shown during various events like his people die speech to vivi something he almost certainly later regrets despite how accurate he was. Ultimately he personify's chaotic good which as a pirate works but he isn't all the similar to most shounen protagonists. They tend either enact a positve world view or are bystanders with no real goal that get caught up in something.

They have goals worth striving for that usually contribute to society. Pirate King is not one of those contributive goals. It may do but that'a not remotely why Luffy is chasing it.

I can't find myself disagreeing with any of this, well said.

Yeah I think calling Luffy a standard shonen protagonist is an incredibly surface level observation that misses a lot of the nuance of his characterization. I mean, while it was also partly a gag, the whole bit with Luffy and Jinbe where Jinbe asks Luffy to be the hero for the fishmen and Luffy refuses because he has no desire to be a stereotypical hero is also a very relevant and telling piece of characterization for him that is completely consistent with how he's portrayed throughout

Kyuur

One Piece

Good chapter! I'm still not sure that Pedro is actually dead but I like how Oda pulled the reverse "but he's still standing!" card. Was it ever implied how large Brulee's range of mirrors actually were? Not sure if it's a Whole Cake Island only type thing.

If they can't use the mirrors to get back to the ship / elsewhere, I guess Luffy and Sanji will escape with Caesar, Bege and Pudding (Pedro if he's not actually dead).

Once this fight is over I hope they'll switch over to Wano for a bit but I guess that's unlikely unless its only for a chapter or two. I'm not sure Oda wants to ever have Luffy out of the picture for an extended period of time.

Dr. Stone

This is pretty hype. Actual "fights" are pretty rare thus far in the series but Tsukasa vs Taiju/Yuzuhira was great so I'm expecting big things. I'm not sure I really understand why Kohaku can't just fight again though.

My biggest worry for this series is that when/if it gets an anime, they're going to really amp the fan service on the girls. The manga is fairly tasteful about it so far but I can see them "extending" certain scenes.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 878

Would not have thought this would be a big Luffy fight earlier in the arc, but I'm down.

My Hero Academia ch. 153

Kind of hard not to think of OPM's "OK" gag at the last second transformation here.

Rock Lock's a good dude.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch. 64

She actually offered him the W and he still turned it down. Like it's in this kid's DNA to lose and only lose.

Shokugeki no Soma

Doesn't seem like it's happening this round but it would be cool if in a future bout, all three rebels collaborate on a single dish using all three of their ingredients and present it for every single individual card. I think it would be one of the more believable ways for the rebels to beat a top elite ten member and would really emphasize the teamwork aspect.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
One Piece Kay I'm kinda hype for this fight. I think it's the one on one duel nature of it that's got me going.

MHA Welp, this is getting weird....

Dr. Stone Did... did she need glasses? Also tournament? Already? I mean sure, just a bit surprised at the time is all.

Zweizer

Banned
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch64

Literally grabbing the L himself.

Kingdom ch531

Guess things were going a little bit too smoothly up until now.

Dr. Stone

This is pretty hype. Actual "fights" are pretty rare thus far in the series but Tsukasa vs Taiju/Yuzuhira was great so I'm expecting big things. I'm not sure I really understand why Kohaku can't just fight again though.

They probably changed the rules and made the tournament male-only.

Top Bottom