• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man's Wild Theory About Afterlife Is Freaking Out TikTok Users

bitbydeath

I thought this was a common theory as I’ve at least thought of it before.

It would also mean those who see the light and get resuscitated would create stillborns on the other side.

Madevil

Eh I reckon it's a pretty big shock to the system for a baby to get yoinked out of the womb and into the world. And they fuckin cry.

bitbydeath

I mean not even when its like 8 months old or some shit? I doubt that
The studies seem to state that consciousness doesn’t begin until birth.
The youngest infants that Dehaene has tested so far are two-month-olds. But he believes it quite possible that consciousness begins at birth itself. Only a few hours after birth, according to one recent study

MMaRsu

Banned
Well the question remains how does your consciousness transfer to an unborn infant that would be quite the stretch

mango drank

Does the soul retain any prior memories, traveling from an old body to a new one?

Or are memories stored only in the physical brain?

If memories are stored only in the physical brain, and the soul doesn't carry any of them, then how would you be able to tell whether the soul has swapped bodies at all?

showernota

The studies seem to state that consciousness doesn’t begin until birth.

That's a pretty dumb study.

"Even though babies recognize their mother's voice and begin learning languages in the womb, we can't be sure they're conscious until their born because I can't flash pictures in front of their eyes."

bitbydeath

That's a pretty dumb study.

"Even though babies recognize their mother's voice and begin learning languages in the womb, we can't be sure they're conscious until their born because I can't flash pictures in front of their eyes."
That’s science for you.
It can only go so far.

INC

Near death = DMT being released into your brain, of course you're gonna see some weird shit and feel certain things

HoodWinked

Andy Weir The Egg is something I think about from time to time.

One of the things that is so frightening is that only one consciousness exists that is the universe's sole observer. And that observer is You. When you perish the universe will essentially be as if it doesn't exist. Unless this observer consciousness is an infinite stream that is somehow passed to another.

20cent

Banned
That's literally an idea explored in a book series from a french sci-fi author, Bernard Werber. And the philtrum (recessed area on your upper lip) is the mark left by an angel's finger to shush your cries and erase your memories.

Last edited:

Airola

That whole "light at the end of the tunnel" thing is something that can be recreated through passing out from extreme g-force, such as that in astronaut training.

Anyway, some dorky looking guy's generic stoner thoughts isn't very interesting but I guess for the type of people on TikTok it is...

But how do you know their soul isn't actually in that tunnel at that moment? That maybe extreme g-force has the capability to make a person's soul leave the body for a while. I mean, if soul exists ,obviously there is some mechanism in human body that links the body to the soul. So while dying is one way to release the soul because something happens in the brain that doesn't keep it in the body anymore, we can use other means to cause the same thing happen in the body that would cause the soul to move around. After all people are having out of body experiences without being in a near death situation (sleep paralysis for example - I can confirm the sensation of being removed from the body is a real phenomenon whether or not it's an actual soul thing that happens there). So it would make sense some other things such as fainting because of extreme g-force could trigger the same thing to happen between the soul and the body. I'm just saying that just because there are other methods to achieve the result, doesn't mean the result is not related to some wild soul stuff.

"It's entirely possible"
-Joe Rogan

Airola

Nah.

We all return to the endless void of nothingness we came from before we were born.

Have a lovely day.

How about this:
Babies cry when they are born because they remember how god damn terrible that endless void of nothingness was, it's them still freaking out about the pure hell it was. And soon they will forget all of that just like we forget almost every dream we ever dream. And when you die, you will enter that same terrifying experience of the endless void of nothingness. We should only be GLAD we don't remember what it was before we were born! :goog_devil:

Alebrije

Lol.....so basically we reborn...but somehow pupolation grows , Guess population has been 7 billions since origin...just reborning ...

This man's "wild theory" sounds pretty much exactly like the Tibetan concept of The Bardo. This is thousands of years old and chronicled in the Bardo Thodol (the "Tibetan Book of the Dead"). In Tibetan cosmology the soul travels through several Bardo ("transitional state") on the way towards reincarnation. It concludes with the soul being attracted to a man and woman making love, indicating some kind of a pre-birth awareness.

Three bardos​

The Bardo Thodol differentiates the intermediate state between lives into three bardos:

1. The chikhai bardo or "bardo of the moment of death", which features the experience of the "clear light of reality", or at least the nearest approximation of which one is spiritually capable;
  2. The chonyid bardo or "bardo of the experiencing of reality", which features the experience of visions of various Buddha forms, or the nearest approximations of which one is capable;
  3. The sidpa bardo or "bardo of rebirth", which features karmically impelled hallucinations which eventually result in rebirth, typically yab-yum imagery of men and women passionately entwined.
Some NSFW yab-yum imagery for you:

1920px-Heruka_in_Yab-Yum_form.jpg

Last edited:

Melfice7

so how would that explain more people being born now than 50 years ago? they aren't reincarnations. in the 1950s the world population was about 2.5b, now it's close to 7.7b. so by his terms, some people are reincarnated and others new?

what happens if a plague kills off more than half the population, what then? you just float around and wait for a body? doesn't make sense, sorry.

is this some sort of religious thing, like heaven, is basically the reset button and you get to try again? sorry you died, you were good, here's another body, try again.

reincarnation doesnt need to be confined to earth, theres a whole universe/s out there

That is a theory I have thought about as well.
I mean psychedelic trips and BB from “Death Stranding” reveals the underlying nature of reality to us.

I have what I consider a much better theory, but like all of these theories it's not particularly provable. You are in a simulation. Far into what will become our future there exists a highly technologically advanced society that realized in order to avoid war, crime, poverty, and to make a perfect society where everyone is happy you needed people that had to have a significant amount of life experience, more than can actually be gained in one life. So right now you and me, assuming we both exist and that one of us isn't just part of the simulation, are bodies hooked up to machines. We will live what we will experience as seven lifetimes, and we are being watched and graded. These lifetimes will be as different people, possibly different races, definitely different sexes, and in different starting positions, or social classes in life. You will be rich, you will be poor, and you will be a man, and later a woman, and you will get to experience different eras of technology. Some combination of these different experiences is considered ideal, and you are graded by how morally you live these lives compared to others. If you get a good enough score, you will be awakened after your final life into the real world where what we consider advanced technology is quite mundane. If your score is too low they leave you in the machine indefinitely so that the world has plenty of player characters in it at any given time.

This is also why there are so many religions and they keep changing. They wanted you to have this idea that there is an afterlife and people are looking at what you are doing, because they actually are doing that, but they want you to be uncertain of it. They want you to be aware of the concept, and it makes their world better for their simulations that it's hard for people to tell what the truth is.

Last edited:

showernota

This man's "wild theory" sounds pretty much exactly like the Tibetan concept of The Bardo. This is thousands of years old and chronicled in the Bardo Thodol (the "Tibetan Book of the Dead"). In Tibetan cosmology the soul travels through several Bardo ("transitional state") on the way towards reincarnation. It concludes with the soul being attracted to a man and woman making love, indicating some kind of a pre-birth awareness.
It looks like it's only been around since the 14th century.

An intriguing idea but of course there’s nothing close to evidence. By the way, to those comparing this to the bible and the afterlife. There is plenty of evidence you can read up on supporting these. Mike Winger and Gary Habermas provide good reason to believe in the God of the Bible and the soul and afterlife which can be found on YouTube.

nkarafo

That still doesn't explain why babies are complete morons. Slowly losing your memories (and crying about it like the author said) means you still have some of that IQ left. If you restart with the IQ of a baby, you wouldn't care about any memories or nostalgia/melancholy.

And how would you know you lost a memory anyway? You would have to know you had it in the first place. In order to realize you lost a memory you need outside information. Most of the times when people realize they have that gap in their brain it's because something doesn't make sense to them. Like all of your friends telling you about something you did but you don't remember it. All that comes from experience/research/logic.

In conclusion, that explanation doesn't make any sense. Just more sentimental bullshit to assure we will live forever in some form.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Lol the anti religion bigotry is some powerful stuff.
There is no such thing as racism against religion. Following a religion is an opinion and a choice. It's not like things you are born with and can't change, like skin color or ethnicity. Opinions and choices are subjective and people should be able to criticize/ridicule them.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How about this:
Babies cry when they are born because they remember how god damn terrible that endless void of nothingness was, it's them still freaking out about the pure hell it was. And soon they will forget all of that just like we forget almost every dream we ever dream. And when you die, you will enter that same terrifying experience of the endless void of nothingness. We should only be GLAD we don't remember what it was before we were born! :goog_devil:

You’ve got it the wrong way around. They’re crying because they’ve been ripped from the calm and peace of non-existence, into the screaming hell of this horrific, confusing and angry universe. But when people breathe their last long breath, it’s a sigh of relief that the shit housery is finally over.

Have a super day!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seeing all the anti-religion replies in this thread has me curious. Why do you people immediately jump on religion re: this story? This is just some stoned moron. This has nothing to do with religion. Lol the anti religion bigotry is some powerful stuff.

Also i love "Religions are full of shit, only I know what happens after you die" wow who made you guys experts? Yes I'm going to ignore cultures that stood for thousands of years and listen to some rando on the internet. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You see, your fundamental problem here is that there are plenty of religions with different stories about what the afterlife is.

So... which one is the correct one?

spongebob squarepants waiting GIF

Last edited:

MadAnon

But how do you know their soul isn't actually in that tunnel at that moment? That maybe extreme g-force has the capability to make a person's soul leave the body for a while. I mean, if soul exists ,obviously there is some mechanism in human body that links the body to the soul. So while dying is one way to release the soul because something happens in the brain that doesn't keep it in the body anymore, we can use other means to cause the same thing happen in the body that would cause the soul to move around. After all people are having out of body experiences without being in a near death situation (sleep paralysis for example - I can confirm the sensation of being removed from the body is a real phenomenon whether or not it's an actual soul thing that happens there). So it would make sense some other things such as fainting because of extreme g-force could trigger the same thing to happen between the soul and the body. I'm just saying that just because there are other methods to achieve the result, doesn't mean the result is not related to some wild soul stuff.

"It's entirely possible"
-Joe Rogan
Maybe first thing you should do is prove the soul exists instead of pulling out the good old "there's no proof X doesn't exist" card.

Last edited:
That’s not a wild theory. It’s retarded one. Anyone who is “freaking out” about it is dumb as a stone. Then again, consider we are talking about the most vapid people on earth, tic toc users, I’m not surprised.

Peggies

Gold Member
I once read in a book that some people who have near death experiences don't see light at the end of the tunnel but meet the devil and come back all fucked up and evil.

Think About That GIF by GIPHY News

Aces&Eights

The one thing about reincarnation is, where is the surplus of people coming from? More births than deaths so the extras come from???

Airola

You’ve got it the wrong way around. They’re crying because they’ve been ripped from the calm and peace of non-existence, into the screaming hell of this horrific, confusing and angry universe. But when people breathe their last long breath, it’s a sigh of relief that the shit housery is finally over.

Have a super day!

whynotboth.gif

From Hell to Hell, and back to Hell.

JimboJones

Doesn't take much to freak out tick tick users, probably a video about a dog dancing had the same reaction.
And death, well you just rot in the ground I imagine it's similar to what your existence was like 200 years ago.

Airola

Maybe first thing you should do is prove the soul exists instead of pulling out the good old "there's no proof X doesn't exist" card.

We know the experience and the sensation of being removed from the body is real, whether or not there is any soul or spirit or [insert a word to describe the same thing] involved. As stuff like that has happened for probably as long as humans have been here, it's no wonder a concept of a soul exists and it's no wonder people have believed there might be something more to it. It's not as if that concept has been taken from thin air. It's not at all the same as people trying to explain lightning or stars or the moon by gods or whatever. This is about actual subjective experiences people have experienced for ages within themselves. It's not about hearing a wind and interpreting that as a ghost, it is about you yourself feeling to be that ghost. That's a whole different thing to tackle and getting explanations to.

Obviously there is some explanation to it that is the ultimate truth of it, but just like dreams, we are currently only scratching the surface of getting any actual scientific explanation for them. Both ways to look at it is based on pure assumptions. One assumption is that the experience in itself is an actual proof of humans being dualistic in nature. The other assumption is that the concept of a dualistic human being can't be real so therefore the experience is a complete illusion/hallucination and purely and completely a brain based thing. So what we now have is the experience of a dualistic nature of a human being and testing that experience where the end results of the tests are and can still be interpreted through both assumptions.

Now you might say that it's not that different from any other hallucinations people experience. That there are a lot of people who hear voices and people who see things that aren't there. Schizophrenics hear stuff all the time and especially very old people might see people and animals and whatever else in the corner of a room.

But then again, is a hallucination really the best example for those experiences either? Maybe the experience of being out of your body and the experience of hearing voices really are quite alike, but not the way we have thought they are. Maybe the platonic idea world is real. Maybe the idea of us is the soul of us and that will continue to exist, and some people have their brain wired up in a way that allows them to be in the threshold of the physical world and the idea world and they will see and hear things that confuses the hell out of them.

My personal opinion is that we have brushed a lot of philosophical thinking away in order to bring more room to scientific way to look at reality because for some reason we have started to believe that measurement and calculations are the only way to accurately explain everything.

so how would that explain more people being born now than 50 years ago? they aren't reincarnations. in the 1950s the world population was about 2.5b, now it's close to 7.7b. so by his terms, some people are reincarnated and others new?

what happens if a plague kills off more than half the population, what then? you just float around and wait for a body? doesn't make sense, sorry.

is this some sort of religious thing, like heaven, is basically the reset button and you get to try again? sorry you died, you were good, here's another body, try again.

I feel like re-incarnation is punishment for being a shit person in the former life and having to do it all again, not that the same consciousness lives on forever in a never ending progression of different bodies

Last edited:

lukilladog

We know the experience and the sensation of being removed from the body is real, whether or not there is any soul or spirit or [insert a word to describe the same thing] involved. As stuff like that has happened for probably as long as humans have been here, it's no wonder a concept of a soul exists and it's no wonder people have believed there might be something more to it. It's not as if that concept has been taken from thin air. It's not at all the same as people trying to explain lightning or stars or the moon by gods or whatever. This is about actual subjective experiences people have experienced for ages within themselves. It's not about hearing a wind and interpreting that as a ghost, it is about you yourself feeling to be that ghost. That's a whole different thing to tackle and getting explanations to.

Obviously there is some explanation to it that is the ultimate truth of it, but just like dreams, we are currently only scratching the surface of getting any actual scientific explanation for them. Both ways to look at it is based on pure assumptions. One assumption is that the experience in itself is an actual proof of humans being dualistic in nature. The other assumption is that the concept of a dualistic human being can't be real so therefore the experience is a complete illusion/hallucination and purely and completely a brain based thing. So what we now have is the experience of a dualistic nature of a human being and testing that experience where the end results of the tests are and can still be interpreted through both assumptions.

Now you might say that it's not that different from any other hallucinations people experience. That there are a lot of people who hear voices and people who see things that aren't there. Schizophrenics hear stuff all the time and especially very old people might see people and animals and whatever else in the corner of a room.

But then again, is a hallucination really the best example for those experiences either? Maybe the experience of being out of your body and the experience of hearing voices really are quite alike, but not the way we have thought they are. Maybe the platonic idea world is real. Maybe the idea of us is the soul of us and that will continue to exist, and some people have their brain wired up in a way that allows them to be in the threshold of the physical world and the idea world and they will see and hear things that confuses the hell out of them.

My personal opinion is that we have brushed a lot of philosophical thinking away in order to bring more room to scientific way to look at reality because for some reason we have started to believe that measurement and calculations are the only way to accurately explain everything.

I would concede that the experiences and sensations of being removed from your body can be extremely realistic and some people have actually experienced the "experience", (says the guy who saw an alien ship land over his head), but the experience itself cannot be real because people cannot see the world with their so called soul. You can call that an assumption, but it is the assumption that better conforms to reality and unlike yours, it is falsifiable.

Airola

I would concede that the experiences and sensations of being removed from your body can be extremely realistic and some people have actually experienced the "experience", (says the guy who saw an alien ship land over his head), but the experience itself cannot be real because people cannot see the world with their so called soul. You can call that an assumption, but it is the assumption that better conforms to reality and unlike yours, it is falsifiable.

Why people can't see with their souls? Because of the soul not having eyes?

We see things when we dream too. It very often looks indistinguishable from reality. What if the way soul sees is kind of like how we see in dreams? Ideas become visible in dreams. Sure, maybe you need eyes and you need to see things before you can dream about them. Not sure if people who have been blind since their birth could form a sort of a visual idea based on what they've heard, touched, felt and smelled, but I guess they usually mostly dream about voices.

Maybe the souls of blind people only sense the "otherworld" through voices. Or maybe we live several lives and what the soul sees is a mixture of the last and past lives. Or maybe souls are interconnected in a way that they allow sort of a collective sensing of things. Lots of interesting ways to look at the subject. I'm not saying any of it is absolutely real but I'm just saying that people experiencing weird stuff when they pass out due to extreme g forces or when doctors mess with their brains isn't really proof of the experience being illusion. All it really tells is that a certain part of a body has a connection with that experience. It doesn't prove what the experience is. It just proves the connection.

Top Bottom