• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ehh, I just feel like crew neck tees have bee a fairly outmoded thing for a long time. They're not especially flattering on anyone nor are they useful as an undershirt unless it's going to be completely and totally unseen.

I think scoop neck might be my fav, even if it is feminine.

I'm glad these have gotten easier to find without having to shop in the women's section.

_Isaac

Most v-necks look a little........................................................................not that great. I think that even guys that look good in v-necks look even better in crew necks.

Zekes!

You should try the higher cut v-necks. I'm in the same boat as I'm a pretty scrawny dude, so I don't like deeper v-necks, but the more shallow ones are perfect.

I'm scrawny too and for the longest time I was self conscious about showing my chest (or lack there of) but now I simply don't care and like rocking deep v's or lower cut shirts.

Fou-Lu

I think I'm going to rebuild my wardrobe from the ground up before school starts this year. Not sure where I want to go with it.

Kyon

Banned
I think I'm going to rebuild my wardrobe from the ground up before school starts this year. Not sure where I want to go with it.

Thats what i did this year. Graduated HS last year things had to change.
It really is fun tho :)

Salazar

Soft leather shoes. Any colour but black.
Khaki pants.
Light blue shirts.
Green thin jumpers or cardigans.
Dark blue and brown blazers.

I have been buying clothes in these categories non-stop for the last few years. Bland conservatism all the way.

Fou-Lu

I'm thinking a lot more colours and a lot less clothing that doesn't fit properly. I always find it hard to find shirts that are long enough, or have long enough sleeves without being baggy, no more of that. Also, no more baggy jeans, although lately it's been because I lost weight and all my jeans are baggy now. And no more white socks for me.

I might even try wearing a tie, just because I never have.

Also it would be good to have a jacket that fits properly, I have a few nice jackets and a blazer, but they are all improperly fit.

I dread trying to find nice shoes that will fit my feet though, I wear an 11 triple wide in running shoes.

I'm thinking a lot more colours and a lot less clothing that doesn't fit properly. I always find it hard to find shirts that are long enough, or have long enough sleeves without being baggy, no more of that. Also, no more baggy jeans, although lately it's been because I lost weight and all my jeans are baggy now. And no more white socks for me.

Also it would be good to have a jacket that fits properly, I have a few nice jackets and a blazer, but they are all improperly fit.

I dread trying to find nice shoes that will fit my feet though, I wear an 11 triple wide in running shoes.

Are you sure you didn't just hop off a time machine from the 90's?

Alucrid

Banned

Please don't wear a tie.

Visceir

Not sure where this is coming from. They're a great way of adding some personality into your look.

I assume it would be like jumping into the deeper end of the pool when trying to learn to swim.

Edit: For the longest time I've been trying to find footwear that looks semi-formal and nice but works well with jeans. Today I finally found a nice pair of chukkas that I just might have to buy.

Read the rest of his post as well as the reason for wearing a tie and you should be able to figure it out.

Ok...

He just seems to want to improve his style and get well-fitting clothes and try new stuff. He's never worn a tie, so why not? As long as everything else fits well and looks fine, I don't see a huge problem. I'd wear a tie everyday if I could, but I'd probably get mocked relentlessly at work, so I don't.

Alucrid

Banned
I assume it would be like jumping into the deeper end of the pool when trying to learn to swim.

Edit: For the longest time I've been trying to find footwear that looks semi-formal and nice but works well with jeans. Today I finally found a nice pair of chukkas that I just might have to buy.

Double Monkstraps?

Or some nice side zip boots or maybe chelseas

Ok...

He just seems to want to improve his style and get well-fitting clothes and try new stuff. He's never worn a tie, so why not? As long as everything else fits well and looks fine, I don't see a huge problem. I'd wear a tie everyday if I could, but I'd probably get mocked relentlessly at work, so I don't.

I imagine it would be better for him to work on his wardrobe first (considering that he apparently is starting from nothing) before adding in a tie since that can easily make an outfit go from pretty good to terrible if it's out of place. That and I usually think most outfits look better sans tie.

Visceir

Double Monkstraps?

Or some nice side zip boots or maybe chelseas

already got a pair of these, unfortunately they are grey and don't really work with anything other than black jeans. I was actually looking into ways to dye them brown, but gave up on that. I haven't really worn them much lately.

Double monkstraps, oxfords and all other shoes that don't have a raised back-side just seem too narrow and look really off with jeans.

The chukkas look pretty much the same as the ones luckyboyceo posted here, just in a much brighter color. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

That's the other thing, for some reason I'm really turned off by black and dark-brown shoes. Dunno why, haha. It's really difficult for me to find the right shade of brown.

Zeppelin

Get a pair of brown derbys or oxfords. Add brogue until informal enough.

3N3Mi.jpg

I made a belt! The dye-job isn't even CLOSE to perfect, in fact, it kinda sucks, but for my first time doing it I'm fairly pleased. Might add another coat, if I can.

Zekes!

Apparently I have a phone interview with a school in Vancouver tomorrow, and if the stars align I could actually potentially get in to the program that starts in the middle of September. Their fashion program is more focused on the 'business' side of fashion; they do a bit of design work, but no sewing. This might be a better place to start with because it potentially leads to finding work easier than just learning straight up design, which I can always go and study after, if I decide I want to do that.

I'm just a little nervous about going to fashion school and getting straight up clowned when it comes to 'style' or fashion knowledge and stuff like that.

Apparently I have a phone interview with a school in Vancouver tomorrow, and if the stars align I could actually potentially get in to the program that starts in the middle of September. Their fashion program is more focused on the 'business' side of fashion; they do a bit of design work, but no sewing. This might be a better place to start with because it potentially leads to finding work easier than just learning straight up design, which I can always go and study after, if I decide I want to do that.

I'm just a little nervous about going to fashion school and getting straight up clowned when it comes to 'style' or fashion knowledge and stuff like that.

Good luck!

Manshion's always here to help. Not me, I know nothing of style, but fellas like Alucrid and Lucky are here.

Boken

Banned
They all look fine.
Choose the one that goes with your wardrobe best or alternately, the one that fills the biggest gap in your shoe collection.

Boken

Banned
i wore gray pants and a gray t shirt together today. i felt a little weird about it. but ultimately i think it ruled.

Did you wear grey shoes?

Also, of course macuser would say grey.

mac you should try some light brown shoes

then a pale blue shirt

oh shit who are you anymore

Kyon

Banned
mac darling.. how do you feel about the world finally accepting short shorts?

I guess its a bit late, Milan Men's Fashion Week featured them this year of course.

coldvein

Banned
Did you wear grey shoes?

Also, of course macuser would say grey.

mac you should try some light brown shoes

then a pale blue shirt

oh shit who are you anymore

no, some american apparel slack-y kinda pants. brought to my attention by cosmic bus in THIS VERY THREAD.

Boken

Banned
Man I really want a floral shirt too, but I'm not sure about a overly cartoony look

perhaps those mini floral patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom