• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Many game developers were unaware of the PS4's RAM increase

Vire

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4

The official specs are in for the PlayStation 4 and what we have is, by and large, confirmation of existing DigitalFoundry stories - with one outstanding, exciting exception. At the PlayStation Meeting yesterday, Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported. It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.

Sounds like Guerrilla Games was working with 4 GB of RAM in mind... instead of the 8 now in the system.

Naughty Dog also seemed to be taken by surprise. Here's the lead Engine and Graphics Programmer from Naughty Dog after last night's event:

qabcHLe.png

Wow.

Kerub

Banned
Looking forward to see what Naughty Dog makes on this console. If Guerilla can make a launch title look that good, targeting worse hardware..

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Very interesting, so Sony decided to go with 8GB not long ago,wonder what make them increase the amount of ram.

Boss Man

The article also mentioned that a $1000 graphics card has 6GB of GDDR5 RAM. This console is a monster, but I'm worried about cost.

btkadams

the quote says most developers, so i would assume some developers have known. why wouldn't sony's lead team of the conference have known the ram? i suppose if it was truly last minute, the game would still have not been developed with it in mind, but i don't feel like that quote is particularly conclusive about killzone.

JCreasy

Are we sure that GG didn't know that? They are Sony 1st party. Where does it say they didn't know that?

Don't get me wrong: I would LOVE for this to be true. The idea of GG having even MORE resources for KILLZONE is mind-blowing!

the quote says most developers, so i would assume some developers have known. why wouldn't sony's lead team of the conference have known the ram? i suppose if it was truly last minute, the game would still have not been developed with it in mind, but i don't feel like that quote is particularly conclusive about killzone.

Yup, pretty much this.

So can they push it to 60fps for release?

Genuinely question - would more RAM help with something like Framerate? As far as I can tell, it'll help a lot with things like more, denser particles, more advanced simulation, higher resolution textures, and I guess all of those will affect the Frame rate, but would just having more RAM help the framerate?

I don't know anything about this stuff, though.

Are we sure that GG didn't know that? They are Sony 1st party. Where does it say they didn't know that?

Don't get me wrong: I would LOVE for this to be true. The idea of GG having even MORE resources for KILLZONE is mind-blowing!

I don't think it's suggesting that didn't know that. They might have been on the first email confirming it. But if it were a recent addition to the hardware, and they've been working on this game/engine for the last 18 months, it's unlikely they'd have had the time to change what they're doing to represent that yet.

Historically final hardware spec is always nailed down in the last months leading to launch. PS3 was weakened significantly. PS4 looks like just the opposite.

Noirulus

Genuinely question - would more RAM help with something like Framerate? As far as I can tell, it'll help a lot with things like more, denser particles, more advanced simulation, higher resolution textures, and I guess all of those will affect the Frame rate, but would just having more RAM help the framerate?

I don't know anything about this stuff, though.

Yes it would.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Very interesting, so Sony decided to go with 8GB not long ago,wonder what make them increase the amount of ram.
Probably Durango's specs.

The article also mentioned that a $1000 graphics card has 6GB of GDDR5 RAM. This console is a monster, but I'm worried about cost.

Tretton said this regarding price:

Will the new console cost $599 to start?

I certainly hope not. I think we’re very proud of what we delivered with the PlayStation 3 in terms of technology, and that we were able to enhance the features while still reducing the price to $249. But I think our goal with this is to debut at a more consumer-friendly price. But we havent made any final decisions about what the price will be at launch

Izick

Is this everyone's first rodeo?

I mean come on, of course this was developed on gimped hardware! Perfect Dark Zero was built on a Power Mac for Pete's sake. All of these early gen games are going to look like dogshit compared to PS4/Nextbox games in two or three years.

I have a feeling it is to "compete" with Microsoft in terms of casual awareness.

Microsoft will say, "Our console has 8 GB of RAM," without a mention of GDDR3.

To the average consumer that does not understand GDDR3 vs. GDDR5, they (previously) would have assumed, "Wow, the Nextbox has 8 GB of RAM and the PlayStation 4 only has 4."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is mind numbing to me. So the 1st gen games won't even be made with 8 Gigs in mind?

Respawn

Banned
This was Death Star beam megaton.

Doubt it, I think that they would rather add some effects to make it look better. Sony probably wants it to be a showcase for PS4, too.

Not sure you understand what this means. It will be 60fps.

I have a feeling it is to "compete" with Microsoft in terms of casual awareness.

Microsoft will say, "Our console has 8 GB of RAM," without a mention of GDDR3.

To the average consumer that does not understand GDDR3 vs. GDDR5, they (previously) would have assumed, "Wow, the Nextbox has 8 GB of RAM and the PlayStation 4 only has 4."

This makes sense.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Since GAF only understands Console Wars in DBZ power levels, this is a bit like when Goku fought Majin Vegeta and pretended to be at around the same level. And then this is to go one step further beyond:
QZhANXt.jpg

"I'm sorry that took so much longer than the others, I've not had much occasion to practice this one. This is what I call 8GB GDDR5."

This is mind numbing to me. So the 1st gen games won't even be made with 8 Gigs in mind?

Course not. Dev kits are always moving targets.
All sources have been harping 4GB. Even if 8GB was known by GG it wasn't until recently.

"Most developers didn't know" and Guerrilla targeted 4 GB or GDDR5 instead of 8 is not the same.

If you had any idea how much dev kits shift and change(usually for the worse) you would realize that yes we can absolutely say they started this game on 4GB.
Read the article.

8GB GDDR5 wasn't even theoretically possible 8 months ago.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am guessing the firsty party studios knew, but seeing how previous KZ titles looked in alpha compared to the final, KZ4 could only look better than what was shown.

Top Bottom