• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March '09 OXM - RE5, FEAR2, + Halo Wars reviewed

RE5 9/10
HALO WARS 9/10
FEAR 2 7.5/10
SKATE 2 8/10
LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST 4/10
AFRO SAMURAI 7.5/10
SPACE INVADERS EXTREME 8/10
STOKED 7.5/10
JEDI TEMPLE MISSION PACK - DENY
MINESWEEPER FLAGS 6.5/10
NPPL CHAMPIONSHIP PAINTBALL 2009 4/10
3-ON-3 NHL ARCADE 7/10

Will give you guys the verdicts if you're interested

Spy

3-ON-3 NHL ARCADE 7/10

Nice! I was thinking about getting this game. Seems good for pick up and play.

RE5

* ++ An action spectacular with terriffic production values
* ++ Excellent co-op game
* ++ Huge variety of environments
* - Item management and control issues
* ? Will Evil arise from the ashes of Raccoon City? (whatever the hell that means)

Halo Wars

* ++ Despite jumping genres, still feels like a Halo game
* ++ Easy and engaging to pick up and play
* - Minor AI and pathfinding annoyances
* ? Where are the Covenant and Flood campaigns? (In a patch probably)

(Got them from another forum)

SPEA

sionyboy said:
RE5

* ? Will Evil arise from the ashes of Raccoon City? (whatever the hell that means)
It's the final countdown!!!!!!!

SPEA said:
RE5 and Halo Wars details would be awesome if possible!

HALO WARS
+ DESPITE JUMPING GENRES, STILL FEELS LIKE A HALO GAME
+ EASY AND ENGAGING TO PICK UP AND PLAY
- MINOR A.I. AND PATHFINDING ANNOYANCES
? WHERE ARE THE COVENANT AND FLOOD CAMPAIGNS?

RESIDENT EVIL 5
+ AN ACTION SPECTACULAR WITH TERRIFIC PRODUCTION VALUES
+ EXCELLENT CO-OP GAME
- ITEM MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL ISSUES
? WILL EVIL ARISE FROM THE ASHES OF RACOON CITY?

Ricker said:
F.E.A.R 2 Verdicts please and thanks.

F.E.A.R. 2
+ INTENSE COMBAT WITH WELL-EXECUTED SLO-MO POWERS
+ RESPECTABLE MULTIPLAYER
- NOTHING TO SCARE YOU HERE. MOVE ALONG
? IS THIS GAME TRYING TO SET THE RECORD FOR MOST DEAD-ASS CORPSES PER SQUARE INCH?

Teknoman

sionyboy said:
RE5

(Got them from another forum)

Ah yeah.

Dabanton

laceystorm said:
F.E.A.R. 2
+ INTENSE COMBAT WITH WELL-EXECUTED SLO-MO POWERS
+ RESPECTABLE MULTIPLAYER
- NOTHING TO SCARE YOU HERE. MOVE ALONG
? IS THIS GAME TRYING TO SET THE RECORD FOR MOST DEAD-ASS CORPSES PER SQUARE INCH?

Sounds reasonable.

IF YOU TRUST HIS OPINION...GARNETT SAID IN HIS LATEST PODCAST THAT IF F.E.A.R. 2 HAD COME OUT LAST YEAR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOOTER OF THE YEAR OVER GEARS 2. HE LOVES IT, AND SAYS THE HORROR ELEMENTS ARE VERY WELL IMPLEMENTED

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
pr0cs said:
No idea how it still got 9/10 if they've done nothing for those issues (retail vs the demo)
Totally agree. I know it's a good story and nice set pieces but these do actually get in the way (at least for me on both versions).

Teknoman said:
Yea but my 2 biggest gripes still go unfixed. Will still be fun with co-op.

laceystorm said:
IF YOU TRUST HIS OPINION...GARNETT SAID IN HIS LATEST PODCAST THAT IF F.E.A.R. 2 HAD COME OUT LAST YEAR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOOTER OF THE YEAR OVER GEARS 2. HE LOVES IT, AND SAYS THE HORROR ELEMENTS ARE VERY WELL IMPLEMENTED

OH REALLY?

Good score for RE5.
Kinda surprised at that 9 for Halo Wars.

kaskade

RE5's variety in environments sounds very nice, I can't wait to see what they bring since really all we have seen was the desert and a boat.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
laceystorm said:

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

Flyguy said:
What'd they say about Stoked? What were the rumors?

STOKED

+ FANTASTIC SLOPES AND CONTROLS
+ SMOKES THAT SHAUN WHITE GAME...AND COSTS $20 LESS
- TOO MUCH TRY-FAIL-REPEAT GAMEPLAY; TOO LITTLE VARIETY
? WHY NOT DISPLAY EVERY SINGLE SLIDE, GRAB, AND FLIP IN THE IN-GAME MOVE LIST?

Mooreberg

Ouch. Looks like people weren't blowing things out of proportion with their reactions to the FEAR 2 demo. Unfortunate.

Dabanton

laceystorm said:

It's a solid game,and the combat is great.

Can't wait for it.

Hilariously i could see it outselling another FPS that's out around the same time...

Kingpen

I gotta pick between Fear 2 and Halo Wars... Still not sure which one I will get.... Sounds like Fear skimped on the Instant Action modes that I loved in the other console ports. That right there probably just negatively affected my day one purchase.

Stupid economy is making buying games a more difficult process... (I'm stoked about how well RE5 and SF4 are turning out though)

Jtyettis said:
What is said for the crystal ball this time?

THE BALL REVEALS A WISER EA SHIPPING BRUTAL LEGEND EARLY IN THE FALL 2009 SEASON, UNLIKE THE MID-NOVEMBER BLOODBATH IT THREW LAST YEAR'S NEW-IP CRITICAL DARLING, MIRRORS EDGE INTO....SPEAKING OF EA IT MAY NOT BE AN EXCLUSIVE DEAL, BUT THE CRYSTAL BALL CLEARLY SHOWS EA GETTING AN MLB LICENSE AFTER THE LEAGUE'S CURRENT DEAL WITH 2K EXPIRES IN 2012....WITH A NEW SPLINTER CELL AND GHOST RECON ON TAP FOR 2009, THE BALL SEES RAINBOW SIX LEAVING LAS VEGAS FOR A NEW CITY IN 2010

hauton

Valcrist said:

What does this even mean?
Apparently it means you can stick "Halo" on anything and it'll pad the review score.

Volcynika

Valcrist said:

What does this even mean?

Going from FPS to RTS, and still manages to keep the 'Halo' feel, whatever that is.

EDIT: Beaten with a different response!

Valcrist

Volcynika said:
Going from FPS to RTS, and still manages to keep the 'Halo' feel, whatever that is.

EDIT: Beaten with a different response!

I thought it was pretty funny since people seem to be complaining about reviews saying certain fps's aren't like Halo, and this review straight up says the pro is that it feels like Halo.

Anyways, good score, I'll be looking forward to playing it.

Timber

laceystorm said:
THE BALL REVEALS A WISER EA SHIPPING BRUTAL LEGEND EARLY IN THE FALL 2009 SEASON, UNLIKE THE MID-NOVEMBER BLOODBATH IT THREW LAST YEAR'S NEW-IP CRITICAL DARLING, MIRRORS EDGE INTO....
THANKS FOR THE INFO THATS GOOD NEWS

MIRRORS EDGE WASNT MUCH OF A CRITICAL DARLING THO SHAME ON YOU OXM

Valcrist said:
I thought it was pretty funny since people seem to be complaining about reviews saying certains fps's aren't like Halo, and this review straight up says the pro is that it feels like Halo.

Anyways, good score, I'll be looking forward to playing it.

Because that applies across genres. :D

soldat7 said:
All I need to know is 'when'.
Seriously, I thought it was going to be an '08 XBLA release. I love it on my PSP but I am dying to play it on my 50" Plasma :D.

Also great scores for RE5 and Halo Wars, and I really can't wait to try Halo Wars. As I am not into RTS games, but this one really has me interested and I am not that big of a Halo fan.

Valcrist

Digital Limit said:
Because that applies across genres. :D

Props to Bungie for creating such a powerful ip, that there is now a "Halo" feel.

I knew it wasn't just the caffiene in Gamer fuel, it was the Halo feel injecting directly into my blood.

Teknoman

laceystorm said:
THE BALL REVEALS A WISER EA SHIPPING BRUTAL LEGEND EARLY IN THE FALL 2009 SEASON, UNLIKE THE MID-NOVEMBER BLOODBATH IT THREW LAST YEAR'S NEW-IP CRITICAL DARLING, MIRRORS EDGE INTO....SPEAKING OF EA IT MAY NOT BE AN EXCLUSIVE DEAL, BUT THE CRYSTAL BALL CLEARLY SHOWS EA GETTING AN MLB LICENSE AFTER THE LEAGUE'S CURRENT DEAL WITH 2K EXPIRES IN 2012....WITH A NEW SPLINTER CELL AND GHOST RECON ON TAP FOR 2009, THE BALL SEES RAINBOW SIX LEAVING LAS VEGAS FOR A NEW CITY IN 2010

15may27-caps-lock.jpg

Top Bottom