• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Margot Robbie, Pirates Reboot, Birds of Prey Writer ??? When did this happen?

First pirates movie was awesome

The rest... not so much
Stagnetti's Revenge was pretty good tho
l9DX3gH.png

ruvikx

Banned
It'll be unwatchable shit in which Margot Robbie overacts, has weird facial expressions & is overall an obnoxious failed attempt to be funny. Just like everything I've seen her in, basically. She's ground zero among all inexplicably overhyped talentless Hollywood B-listers promoted as a "star" for xyz influencer reasons. She isn't even sexual fantasy-tier "hot", unless you've been in prison for 20 years & you're a really desperate mofo.

But the critics will say "Margot Robbie saves Pirates of the Caribbean" & Disney will massively exaggerate its popularity on their streaming service... meanwhile anyone who notices it's a really shit movie with zero reason to even exist will be labelled a misogynist woman hater. Rinse repeat.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Depp is a professional pirate but there’s too much drama so I’m glad they’re turning the tide to someone else, should be a fun movie.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Here's a thought. Let the pirate movies die. After Gore Verbinski left they've all been horrible anyway.

Last edited:
I think the first one is one of the most brilliant adventure movies of all time. On the same level as "Raiders of the lost Ark" is.
Everything that came afterwards is barely trash tier, though.

They kind of never understood what made the first movie great, and just went for weirder and more fucked up creature designs and more bizarre action scenes.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

I'll just pretend there's no such thing as fashion models, sports illustrated models, met-art etc. Yep, i.e. Hollywood throws a random blonde in my face & I'm supposed to be like "I want, I want, I want" & just pretend I've never seen another woman (real or on TV or Internet). Okay.

I mean shit, even Stifler's mom probably had more real sex appeal.

I'll just pretend there's no such thing as fashion models, sports illustrated models, met-art etc. Yep, i.e. Hollywood throws a random blonde in my face & I'm supposed to be like "I want, I want, I want" & just pretend I've never seen another woman (real or on TV or Internet). Okay.
Well, this is the internet, and there are plenty of photographs around of these women you find hotter than Margot.
Post some and we may decide.

Your post above just smells of "sharp knees" and made me laugh a bit to be honest.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I mean shit, even Stifler's mom probably had more real sex appeal.
You don't find her particularly hot; lots of people do... it's not a conspiracy to force a random blonde woman on you. She's popular because... she's popular.

ruvikx

Banned
You don't find her particularly hot; lots of people do... it's not a conspiracy to force a random blonde woman on you. She's popular because... she's popular.

Is she popular? I thought Birds of Prey flopped hard whilst Suicide Squad is pretty much unanimously regarded as a steaming pile of shit. It's funny to me how Hollywood can say a nobody actress whose latest film bombed is going to replace Johnny Depp.

But whatever.

IntentionalPun

Is she popular? I thought Birds of Prey flopped hard whilst Suicide Squad is pretty much unanimously regarded as a steaming pile of shit. It's funny to me how Hollywood can say a nobody actress whose latest film bombed is going to replace Johnny Depp.

But whatever.
Plenty of hugely popular people have films that bomb.

McCheese

This sounds depressingly canonical, as they already fucked up the ride and made the redhead wench into the pirate queen "Redd" who now sells hens to the pirates during what used to be the "wench for a bride" show segment, it's so stupid.

ruvikx

Banned
Plenty of hugely popular people have films that bomb.

The difference is "stars" used to be made with popular films & success at the box office. Whereas now, Margot Robbie & co are called stars by the media & their promoters without any prior success, just lots of promotion & media exposure with sycophantic articles. And social media is not a valid criteria for judging "popularity" either, i.e. so many cretins have hundreds of millions of followers (real or otherwise) which never translate into real world box office returns (for actors) or album sales (for musicians).

In terms of cinema, Margot Robbie is a fucking nobody, i.e. she's not exactly Sharon Stone is she? I mean shit, Geena Davis was probably more widely known (thanks to Beetlejuice + Thelma & Louise) back when she did Cutthroat Island in 1994 than Margot Robbie is now.

IntentionalPun

The difference is "stars" used to be made with popular films & success at the box office. Whereas now, Margot Robbie & co are called stars by the media & their promoters without any prior success, just lots of promotion & media exposure with sycophantic articles. And social media is not a valid criteria for judging "popularity" either, i.e. so many cretins have hundreds of millions of followers (real or otherwise) which never translate into real world box office returns (for actors) or album sales (for musicians).

In terms of cinema, Margot Robbie is a fucking nobody, i.e. she's not exactly Sharon Stone is she? I mean shit, Geena Davis was probably more widely known (thanks to Beetlejuice + Thelma & Louise) back when she did Cutthroat Island in 1994 than Margot Robbie is now.

Margot Robbie was in the incredibly successful Wolf of Wall Street, and it made her a star as she was a standout in a film with a lot of standouts. She became a hugely popular sex symbol overnight because of that movie.

As much as I hate Suicide Squad, it was also a successful movie.. and she was hugely popular in it (I can't stand her in it personally.) Harley Quinn is now far more mainstream, partly based on Margot's popularity. She's incredibly well known.. and well liked.

Birds of Prey was also a bit of a dud, as have been other "female lead" movies... It also cost them half of what something like Suicide Squad cost to make.. Hollywood is not behind some woke conspiracy to force women on you, they are just trying to create a new market... and investing in that market but not TOO MUCH in that market. We will still mostly be seeing male lead films, as we always have.

They may give up this trend someday, as they've given up on plenty of other trends over time too.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
did not see Harley Quinn: Sluts of Power. won't see this. one Suicide Squad was enough wasting my time, thanks.

i don't find her all that enchanting tbh. she's conventionally attractive. don't blame an actress for hustling while the money is good though.

it's a shame she wasn't born in a time period where the movie fucking sucked. imagine she would have been great in some 60's or 70's movies.
The difference is "stars" used to be made with popular films & success at the box office.
the difference is that movies were built around the actors. the actors were the stars. you wanted to see a Henry Fonda movie or a Elizabeth Taylor movie or a Tom Cruise movie because of the actor.

nowadays, the actor is just a cog in the machine. you fire them if they are a problem and it doesn't matter because what is important is not the star but the IP. the IP is the star. the actor themselves are replaceable. anybody can wear the Iron Man suit. anybody can be a pirate.

this is why IPs are so profitable. it is a template, you just squeeze actors into and out of, and it prints money.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It'll be unwatchable shit in which Margot Robbie overacts, has weird facial expressions & is overall an obnoxious failed attempt to be funny. Just like everything I've seen her in, basically. She's ground zero among all inexplicably overhyped talentless Hollywood B-listers promoted as a "star" for xyz influencer reasons. She isn't even sexual fantasy-tier "hot", unless you've been in prison for 20 years & you're a really desperate mofo.

But the critics will say "Margot Robbie saves Pirates of the Caribbean" & Disney will massively exaggerate its popularity on their streaming service... meanwhile anyone who notices it's a really shit movie with zero reason to even exist will be labelled a misogynist woman hater. Rinse repeat.

I dunno, I remember her in Pan Am, she was 21 or 22 then, and was an easy 10/10 in my book, but I like blondes.

DESTROYA

Seems more than prison tier wank material

ujJ1JXl.jpg

Elginer

So we’re just collectively forgetting about Elizabeth Swann’s character arc from pseudo damsel in distress to total pirate by the end of the original trilogy?
Yes. It doesn’t fit their agenda thus it never happened. Now carry on not remembering plenty of other movies with strong characters that happened to be women.

IntentionalPun

But generally speaking, when someone says this actor/actress is popular, they can name atleast a few successful movies.
Of course.. and Margot Robbie was a standout in the hugely successful Wolf of Wall Street. She was also basically the top billed star/aspect of Suicide Squad, a movie that made $750 million worldwide and made her character Harley Quinn a household name and super common halloween costume.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's funny, only 30 years ago i was actually at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride watching animatronic privateers auction off women as sex slaves.

now, those pirates are super woke!

Top Bottom